STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I just want to alleviate hip pain Ive been having from squatting. Better in the sense of being able to hit depth without any lower back (lumbar?) rounding. 

For DL it would be essentially the same, having the mobility to get my hips under the bar better and keep a flat back. 

Im pretty certain it all just leads back to lack of mobility. I just need to stretch/loosen my hips, ankles, everything more so I can move more weight in the safest possible way. 

You're stating the obvious. Everyone has areas that store excess tension, which commonly leads to reduced mobility of certain joints. The question to be asked is WHY does this happen, and why is it different in different people? There are obviously some common areas for most people: calves, iliacus, diaphragm, etc.

I don't pretend to have all of the answers, but from my perspective, there are no absolutes or cookie-cutter approaches that guarantee success. Everyone likes to say to stretch commonly tight areas (hip flexors, among others), but not many like to talk about functional changes that happen as a result. For example, most people have very short and hypertonic hip flexors, but they compensate in many different ways. You can compensate for the lack of mobility through your spine, knees, ankle, shoulders, neck, and even the feet just because of restriction in 1 joint. You can stretch your hip flexors as much as you want, but until you figure out why your nervous system was holding so much tone in that area, you won't cause any long lasting changes. This is where a good manual therapist comes in.

I'll throw you a bone and give you a "cookie-cutter" approach for the glutes. It may or may not work, and your problem areas may be completely different(TVA, QL, jaw, grip, etc.):
1. Do myofascial release on 1 of your calves for ~3 minutes. Don't stop until you feel a change in the tissue texture.
2. Immediately after, do a glute max activation drill, focusing on quality of the contraction. Don't worry too much about range of motion, resistance, etc. Focus on feeling the contraction in the glute max, and DON'T go to muscular failure. Aim to do 5-20 easy, quality reps of a single movement. A good, simple one is the "cook lift" by Gray Cook.
3. Repeat on the other leg.
4. At the end, try squatting or deadlifting with an empty bar or very light weight, and assess what (if anything) changed.

Not sure if you're replying to my question about hip flexor tightness doing squats, but I always appreciate the well-thought-out posts.

I realize there's always more than one possibility for certain problems, but I guess I was asking what the most common reasons are for tight hip flexors. Self-diagnosis of course is never ideal, but if there's some common mechanical problem with the way I'm lifting, and it's something subtle I won't realize until it's pointed out, that'd be helpful.

Thanks for the post, Based Mod.

I've always been kinda intrigued with snorkeling but I'm also scared of it at the same time :lol:

I definitely wouldn't pack too much in my itinerary. I'm a very simple guy.

And yea, I meant Oahu. My bad. I should've said 'main island' not 'mainland'

Last edited:
Whats being "taught" in a boot camp class?

Thats more of a leader-follower relationship than teacher-student.
If done correctly, form correct takes place in class. A lot of people sign up for boot camp classes knowing nothing about working out, so yes it is teaching taking place

Whats being "taught" in a boot camp class?

Thats more of a leader-follower relationship than teacher-student.
If done correctly, form correct takes place in class. A lot of people sign up for boot camp classes knowing nothing about working out, so yes it is teaching taking place
Nahhh, theres little to no instruction in a boot camp class.

I see nothing wrong with what happened and think youre being too "something" about it. (Cant think of the right word to use)

Not sure if you're replying to my question about hip flexor tightness doing squats, but I always appreciate the well-thought-out posts.

I realize there's always more than one possibility for certain problems, but I guess I was asking what the most common reasons are for tight hip flexors. Self-diagnosis of course is never ideal, but if there's some common mechanical problem with the way I'm lifting, and it's something subtle I won't realize until it's pointed out, that'd be helpful.

It was in response to your post. The same approach can be used for the hip flexors, but again, there's no way of knowing for sure whether it will be effective through the internet. Try massaging the iliacus (notthe psoas) and doing glute max activation immediately after. Be cautious, as the iliacus is very tender on most people.

The common reason for tight hip flexors is excessive time spent sitting. The questions that haven't been asked:
What happens to the body functionally when the hip flexors stay tight? It depends on the person. But these compensations tend to stay with the nervous system. Have you ever noticed that some people have specific habits when they lift? Twisting to a particular side when the intensity gets high enough? Some people clench their jaw, clench their fist, position their neck, protract their shoulders, etc. That's the sort of thing that forms from limitations, but has to be exposed before they can be addressed.

Will just stretching or releasing the hip flexors solve these compensations? It's not very likely.

One last thing that may be helpful: most people have tight and weak hip flexors. You can train them specifically for the mobility you're looking for.

It was in response to your post. The same approach can be used for the hip flexors, but again, there's no way of knowing for sure whether it will be effective through the internet. Try massaging the iliacus (notthe psoas) and doing glute max activation immediately after. Be cautious, as the iliacus is very tender on most people.

The common reason for tight hip flexors is excessive time spent sitting. The questions that haven't been asked:
What happens to the body functionally when the hip flexors stay tight? It depends on the person. But these compensations tend to stay with the nervous system. Have you ever noticed that some people have specific habits when they lift? Twisting to a particular side when the intensity gets high enough? Some people clench their jaw, clench their fist, position their neck, protract their shoulders, etc. That's the sort of thing that forms from limitations, but has to be exposed before they can be addressed.

Will just stretching or releasing the hip flexors solve these compensations? It's not very likely.

One last thing that may be helpful: most people have tight and weak hip flexors. You can train them specifically for the mobility you're looking for.

I see your point. Kind of like a prevention is the best medicine thing.

I definitely have weak hip flexors. I don't play as much sports as I'd like, so after me and my boy's annual Turkey Bowl, the first place I feel tightness/soreness is in the hip flexors. I work out routinely, so I'm obviously (unintentionally) neglecting them. I'll look into some hip flexor specific exercises and integrate them into my workout schedule. Suggestions are obviously welcome.

Again, appreciate the response.

Last edited:

Is drinking shakes recommended for before or after a workout?

Does it matter?
It's all preference. As long as you get enough protein throughout the day you're fine. I never drink protein shakes before the gym because it usually gives me an upset stomach.

Does it matter?
Some are going to claim as long as you get your macros for the day you should be fine, but im a believer in a shake after your workout. It just makes sense to me to take some protein on damaged muscles ASAP. I usually wait 15 minutes or so after my workout then start taking my shake while driving home.

Some are going to claim as long as you get your macros for the day you should be fine, but im a believer in a shake after your workout. It just makes sense to me to take some protein on damaged muscles ASAP. I usually wait 15 minutes or so after my workout then start taking my shake while driving home.

Mentally that might make sense but there's very little evidence that it actually does anything.

Whatever works for you, Ive been taking it post workout forever.

Does this mean that whey isolates are useless then since they are meant for fast absorption post workout?

The difference is, at best, very slight. In my mind if it helps you get your protein in then you should do it. And yeah the type of protein is relatively unimportant. Muscle synthesis takes place over the 48-72+ hours post workout anyway.

Does it matter?

The anabolic lasts for 3 hours, or so after lifting. I do take a shake right after I lift, but more so for convenience reasons rather than feeling like I'll lose my gains.

How many days are you training? You just go off percents?
3-4 days a week

I choose a training max (super low right now as I readjust to lifting), and work up to it with sets based off prilepin. though for deadlift i cut the reps by 1-2 since i hate deadlifting.

been training for a 10K I'm doing at the end of the month, ran 4.5 miles this morning. Feels good. I'm contemplating doing a 1/2 marathon next year and hopefully a full marathon after that.

The anabolic lasts for 3 hours, or so after lifting. I do take a shake right after I lift, but more so for convenience reasons rather than feeling like I'll lose my gains.
More than anything else, the "window" in which you need to consume after a workout fluctuates so much depending on who you are talking to. I heard 2 hours, I have heard 3. I have hear 1.5 hours.

Random though. As I have been more robotic/machine like with my consumption over the past 10 years, whenever I eat poorly, I REALLY feel it the next day. I ate some Pizza last night but they also had gummy bears sitting at the front near the check-in. Man I ate like 40 gummy bears easily. Feel like I am having a hangover from all of that sugar. (Gummy bears + white flour from pizza). Hate feeling this type of way man.

3-4 days a week

I choose a training max (super low right now as I readjust to lifting), and work up to it with sets based off prilepin. though for deadlift i cut the reps by 1-2 since i hate deadlifting.
I feel the sane way about DL 
laugh.gif

I used Prilepins too and just adjust drop the volume if it gets too intense and takes too long to recover from.

This kind of training got you to where your at now? Im still making good progress of 5x5 and just progressively overloading but I know that will end one day...

Back
Top Bottom