Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

BTW, lets do this, I'd love to undress your lame knowledge right here, right now. I want you standing here naked, like the little boy you are.

Bring it, let's debate why Bodybuilding squats will hamper your jumping ability.

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

BTW, lets do this, I'd love to undress your lame knowledge right here, right now. I want you standing here naked, like the little boy you are.

Bring it, let's debate why Bodybuilding squats will hamper your jumping ability.

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

Everyone should just ignore Dark Chocolate.

If he quotes you, questioning what you said, so what? Just ignore him and keep it moving. Y'all shouldn't even waste your time replying to him. No one has to prove anything to this dude.

Maybe then he'll go away when he realizes that no one gives a damn about what he has to say. And if he doesn't leave, at least we can avoid all of this unnecessary arguing.

Don't hate my honesty. Hate the ones who've been lying to you, while selling you the crap they said would make you big and strong. I am simply telling the truth.

I stated earlier, where all this got started, that you cannot increase your vertical leap simply by doing squats, isn't that true? I stated that if you want to increase your vert, that you should skip rope in between sets, so that you can stimulate the fast twitch muscles that are needed in order to jump higher. I also stated that YOU CAN ONLY JUMP AS HIGH, AS PER YOUR ABILITY TO LAND. Three individuals decided to suggest that I didn't know what I was talking about. However I cited the NSCA and American College of Sports Medicine, as the leading researchers in this study.

Do you know what A Static Spring Proficient Athlete is?

Well, cats are known as that, aka A SPECTACULAR ATHLETE.

A cat can be thrown in any direction and it will land on its feet. This means that when a cat springs forward, it is able to land safely, even from tremendous heights.

All tremendous leapers, and fast sprinters, are known as such as well.

You must be able to decelerate in order to run faster, and you must know how to land, in order to jump higher.

Body building squats, those that build mass, slow down this reaction, as they use a totally different system of movement.

That's all I was getting at, but you know the *knowitalls* on here........
laugh.gif
A squat is a squat. If done correctly, it will increase one's vertical. The squat is an explosive movement. What powerlifters do aren't really squats considering they can't even squat down as a result of their suites. What most people in the gym emulate are powerlifting squats but, as with many things,it's because of a lack of knowledge or fear ( 'full squats will kill my knees', "I have bad knees").

Much of the way weightlifters train is based around explosive movements but, to be honest, I've never seen jumping rope much (at least at the facility thatI go to; prob because it's not efficient/ the best use of time or effort).
Olympic Weightlifters have some of the highest verticals among pro athletes (there have been studies on this; go dig them up scholar). Jumping rope isn't acentral tenet of training.
laugh.gif

I've skipped rope less than a handful of times in my life. My vertical is at 38" now. Should I start skipping rope, coach?
You should have at least mentioned box jumps instead of jumping rope 'O knowledgeable One'.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

If he quotes you, questioning what you said, so what? Just ignore him and keep it moving. Y'all shouldn't even waste your time replying to him. No one has to prove anything to this dude.

Maybe then he'll go away when he realizes that no one gives a damn about what he has to say. And if he doesn't leave, at least we can avoid all of this unnecessary arguing.

A cat can be thrown in any direction, and it will land on its feet. This means that when a cats springs forward, it is able to land safely, from tremendous heights.
Didn't read past this

Humans are not cats
indifferent.gif

Cats have an internal balancing system which is more sophisticated than humans, so comparing humans to cats is just plain ridiculous. Not taking into account the difference in their musculoskeletal system.

and athletes that you say can jump high and land, you might be right but have you thought of the possibility that maybe when you achieve a higher jump you will achieve the landing capabilities too.
The study was done on all animals, including humans, speaking on athletic capabilities. Racehorses are considered athletes, and they are often compared to the human athlete as well. I didn't do the study, but I agree with the findings.. My point was that bodybuilding squats alone, do not increase your jumping ability. In fact, they hamper your jumping ability. So if YOUR theory on landing were correct, how does the body learn to ADAPT to the overload, without landing first? You must learn how to control the descent thru REACTIVE training first, using eccentric forces, before gaining strength for explosion.
oh god.

Would you like to debate it, son?
would you like to cite your sources, son?
The ACSM and NSCA of course
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Moneyright

Is it bad to go to the gym twice a day?

Not bad at all. Just make sure you have enough time to recuperate. Plenty of sleep and plenty (for your activity level and bodyweight) of calories.

A cat can be thrown in any direction, and it will land on its feet. This means that when a cats springs forward, it is able to land safely, from tremendous heights.
Didn't read past this

Humans are not cats
indifferent.gif

Cats have an internal balancing system which is more sophisticated than humans, so comparing humans to cats is just plain ridiculous. Not taking into account the difference in their musculoskeletal system.

and athletes that you say can jump high and land, you might be right but have you thought of the possibility that maybe when you achieve a higher jump you will achieve the landing capabilities too.
The study was done on all animals, including humans, speaking on athletic capabilities. Racehorses are considered athletes, and they are often compared to the human athlete as well. I didn't do the study, but I agree with the findings.. My point was that bodybuilding squats alone, do not increase your jumping ability. In fact, they hamper your jumping ability. So if YOUR theory on landing were correct, how does the body learn to ADAPT to the overload, without landing first? You must learn how to control the descent thru REACTIVE training first, using eccentric forces, before gaining strength for explosion.
oh god.

Okay, let's do this.

Do you know what an over reliance on prolonged eecentric training does to the central nervous system? Doing body building squats, those that consist of SLOWDELIBERATE MOVEMENTS, are used to create SIZE, not SPEED. The formula is POWER = STRENGTH x SPEED. The same thing that will make you run fast, is the samesystem that will make you jump higher. The training that is necessary to increase both are called EXPLOSIVE and REACTIVE training. Bodybuilding squats, thosethat build mass, require time, repetitition. That is called your LIMIT strength.

Are you following this, I know that you are a bit ignorant, but I'll continue!

A few exercises that build your reactive strength are, skipping rope, which in fact help to increase your LANDING EFFICENCY, and ankle hops.

For the explosive movements, that would be CLEANS, SNATCHES movements that require FAST TWITCH, recruiting fast twitch fibers shocking the central nervoussystem.

Now, in sports like football, body building squats are important for position players. But those who are wide receivers, the ones who must jump, and run fastexclusively, do not NEED them in their training. However LINEMEN do, as they do very little jumping, but needing LIMIT STRENGTH to push, and hold position.

Now, this may be a bit much for you, as I know you only know, what you know.

You just cannot help it!

Go and chew on that, in fact? Go and mix it with your Aminos!

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

Didn't read past this

Humans are not cats
indifferent.gif

oh god.

laugh.gif

Damn right, those are my sources. But only those of us who can READ, know about it!

I wanna say this as well, it's very easy to go to SI.COM then download their article on the bullcrap you kids be takin'!

I hope that helps!

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

Didn't read past this

Humans are not cats
indifferent.gif

oh god.

laugh.gif

Damn right, those are my sources. But only those of us who can READ, know about it!
I seriously don't get you.

Are you pretending not to have seen my 5+ posts telling you that "ACSM" or "NSCA" is not even close to a proper citation? Or are youpurposefully ignoring it because you know you're pulling your info out of your @%!?

Didn't read past this

Humans are not cats
indifferent.gif

oh god.

Okay, let's do this.

Do you know what an over reliance on prolonged eecentric training does to the central nervous system? Doing body building squats, those that consist of SLOW DELIBERATE MOVEMENTS, are used to create SIZE, not SPEED. The formula is POWER = STRENGTH x SPEED. The same thing that will make you run fast, is the same system that will make you jump higher. The training that is necessary to increase both are called EXPLOSIVE and REACTIVE training. Bodybuilding squats, those that build mass, require time, repetitition. That is called your LIMIT strength.

A few exercises that build your reactive strength are, skipping rope, which in fact help to increase your LANDING EFFICENCY, and ankle hops.

For the explosive movements, that would be CLEANS, SNATCHES movements that require FAST TWITCH, recruiting fast twitch fibers shocking the central nervous system.

Now, in sports like football, body building squats are important for position players. But those who are wide receivers, the ones who must jump, and run fast exclusively, do not NEED them in their training. However LINEMEN do, as they do very little jumping, but needing LIMIT STRENGTH to push, and hold position.

You just cannot help it!

What do you think heavy low-rep squats recruit? Oh, that's right- fast-twitch muscle fibers.

You lose.
frown.gif

P.S. Nobody said anything about "bodybuilding squats," don't try to change our words around. And enroll in some sort of English class at a localCC. Your writing is atrocious.

Back to actually answering questions:

Got a question guys...I've been hearing that close-grip bench press is the best tricep exercise for mass. Any weight to this? I need to update my tri workout but I want to keep it to a few (like 3), effective exercises. Suggestions?
True, but you want to make sure you don't put your hands too close together. Just at or slightly inside shoulder with is perfect for allowingyou to keep your elbows as close to your body as possible. This is mainly what will help you hit your tri's and handle a substanstial amount of weight.

Other exercises that help build mass are bench dips, parallel bardips in an upright position with your elbows angled back, skull crushers and two-handed overhead dumbell extensions. You really only need to choose one of these exercises for 4 sets and then add 1 or 2isolating, single-joint exercises like cable pressdowns, overhead ropeextensions, or dumbbell kickbacks for 3-4 sets and that's it. Don't forget that yourtriceps do alot of work when you train chest and do pressing movements for shoulders so you don't need too many sets dedicated to them. Just keep yourreps in the 8-12 rep range for the mass-building movements (the ones in red) and do reps in a 10-15 rep range for the detailing movements (the ones in blue),meaning you reach failure or damn near close to it at the target rep-range.

Ok Dark Chocolate.... go ahead and break down my post, criticize the hell out of it, tell everybody why NSCA and ACSM dispute all this, etc... I'm gonnago flex my triceps in the mirror and drink a protein shake...

Dear God...chips and salsa is the kryptonite to my diet...I'll be in for a rough workout tomorrow...allow myself to shake my head at...........myself.

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

Lower back is sore from squatting. Is my form incorrect?
most likely. see if you can record yourself so you can see what's going on. usually it boils down to flexibity/mobility issues leading torounding of the lower back , which are best discovered with a form check.

and to add insult to injury (don't take it the wrong way klipsch), according to that one dude, your vertical now sucks. word to the NSCA/ACSM
laugh.gif

the dude should start his own debate thread so he doesnt troll here, i check here once in a while to see if theres any recent information posted, but its justDC. for real, just go to the gym and debate there, thats how awkward its become here

Didn't read past this

Humans are not cats
indifferent.gif

oh god.

Okay, let's do this.

Do you know what an over reliance on prolonged eecentric training does to the central nervous system? Doing body building squats, those that consist of SLOW DELIBERATE MOVEMENTS, are used to create SIZE, not SPEED. The formula is POWER = STRENGTH x SPEED. The same thing that will make you run fast, is the same system that will make you jump higher. The training that is necessary to increase both are called EXPLOSIVE and REACTIVE training. Bodybuilding squats, those that build mass, require time, repetitition. That is called your LIMIT strength.

For the explosive movements, that would be CLEANS, SNATCHES movements that require FAST TWITCH, recruiting fast twitch fibers shocking the central nervous system.

Now, in sports like football, body building squats are important for position players. But those who are wide receivers, the ones who must jump, and run fast exclusively, do not NEED them in their training. However LINEMEN do, as they do very little jumping, but needing LIMIT STRENGTH to push, and hold position.

You just cannot help it!

What do you think heavy low-rep squats recruit? Oh, that's right- fast-twitch muscle fibers.

You lose.
frown.gif

P.S. Nobody said anything about "bodybuilding squats," don't try to change our words around. And enroll in some sort of English class at a local CC. Your writing is atrocious.

You didn't KNOW that there is a difference between a Bodybuilding squat, and an explosive movement. In all of your responses, you did NOT differentiate,but I did. Now you want to crack on my writing? Son, I pay people to handle that for me, that's what's called an editor. Actually from your responseand ANAL disposition, you'd probably be more suited for that position, rather than doling out any advice on fitness, or anything else in regard to lookinggood, feeling good, then being a SPECTACULAR athlete!

Now here's the link. As lazy as you are with your finger, I know that you must be some fat dude sitting in his basement sporting hash marks, instead of agood, fit, physique!

://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/arts/dance/09kour.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=New%20Leaps%20in%20Research%20on%20Injuries&st=cse

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

Back to actually answering questions:

Got a question guys...I've been hearing that close-grip bench press is the best tricep exercise for mass. Any weight to this? I need to update my tri workout but I want to keep it to a few (like 3), effective exercises. Suggestions?
True, but you want to make sure you don't put your hands too close together. Just at or slightly inside shoulder with is perfect for allowing you to keep your elbows as close to your body as possible. This is mainly what will help you hit your tri's and handle a substanstial amount of weight.

Other exercises that help build mass are bench dips, parallel bar dips in an upright position with your elbows angled back, skull crushers and two-handed overhead dumbell extensions. You really only need to choose one of these exercises for 4 sets and then add 1 or 2 isolating, single-joint exercises like cable pressdowns, overhead rope extensions, or dumbbell kickbacks for 3-4 sets and that's it. Don't forget that your triceps do alot of work when you train chest and do pressing movements for shoulders so you don't need too many sets dedicated to them. Just keep your reps in the 8-12 rep range for the mass-building movements (the ones in red) and do reps in a 10-15 rep range for the detailing movements (the ones in blue), meaning you reach failure or damn near close to it at the target rep-range.

Ok Dark Chocolate.... go ahead and break down my post, criticize the hell out of it, tell everybody why NSCA and ACSM dispute all this, etc... I'm gonna go flex my triceps in the mirror and drink a protein shake...

I don't critique people who don't have good home training anymore, sorry!

Back
Top Bottom