Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Okay I've been wondering about something..
I've been on this diet\meal plan my trainer gave me since february back when I weighed 209lbs at 5'6 and before that I weighed 265lbs. I'mcurrently now at 165.5lbs. The diet is on most days high on carbs and "medium" on protein and keeps fat at 50grams or less. For the last 20lbs Ihaven't seen like a significant difference on the appearance of my body when I look in the mirror. I was wondering if switching to a LOW carb diet like theTNT diet would be better. Has anyone done a low carb diet and significant results.

been looking for some info/ motivation to get back in the sweat box. Im definitely going to try out some of the posted routines. good stuff!

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

yeah dude that's what i've been saying

obviously if an athlete doesn't need to get bigger he's not gonna be on a diet whose purpose is to increase size. if they're simply maintaining size then they're not gonna be eating at a caloric surplus. of course not.

but at some point almost all serious athletes in sports like football or baseball put on muscle because in order to stay competitive. you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is naturally nfl-sized, for example
I agree, and this is why I said earlier that the whole bulking/cutting phase is something thats very niche oriented and doesnt need to be done bymost people. Bodybuilders are basically the only group of people who have a need to go through those two phases.

The vast majority of individuals who are into working out are either going to be an athlete trying to get faster/stronger, or the generic individual who justwants to lose some fat/get a little bit of muscle.

Originally Posted by Durden7

yeah dude that's what i've been saying

obviously if an athlete doesn't need to get bigger he's not gonna be on a diet whose purpose is to increase size. if they're simply maintaining size then they're not gonna be eating at a caloric surplus. of course not.

but at some point almost all serious athletes in sports like football or baseball put on muscle because in order to stay competitive. you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is naturally nfl-sized, for example
I agree, and this is why I said earlier that the whole bulking/cutting phase is something thats very niche oriented and doesnt need to be done by most people. Bodybuilders are basically the only group of people who have a need to go through those two phases.

The vast majority of individuals who are into working out are either going to be an athlete trying to get faster/stronger, or the generic individual who just wants to lose some fat/get a little bit of muscle.

I'm with these guys.

In fact, I'm not too sure how hardcore most of you folks are or trying to be in weight lifting, but last summer for about 4 months, there was no doubtabout the fact that I gained definite strength and muscle mass while losing 20lbs of fat. I call it as I see it, and the results were GREAT for me in mypreparations for a shirtless trip to Hawaii.

I think a lot of you guys are worrying too much about the appropriate or surefire way to attack your perceived body disfigurations, but the only thing that youreally need to know is the exercises to do, along with the food to eat and executing these things via technique and discipline. Just get out there and startputting in work. Worry about the cutting/bulking stuff later, if that's the route you want to go. You'll be surprised with what hard work can get youwithout knowing all the fancy jargon, in reference to plans of attack, that is used primarily by bodybuilders for their own unique situations.

Originally Posted by NoSlickRemarks

I've been hitting the bike recently and watching what I eat.... what results can i expect from purely hitting the bike?

nerd.gif

Your body will get used to that eventually. Not that doing cardio and watching your diet are bad. By all means keep doing that, but your body will adapt tothat pretty quick so as soon as you slip up on the diet or cardio, you'll put some weight back on. Only way to maintain results is to add some type ofstrength training, whether you do it at home through calisthenics and dumbbells/kettlebells or you do it at the gym.

I did the "how much I should be eating calculator" and even to be conservative I put myself as sedentary, and I'm still getting that I should beeating 2800 calories to lose weight. I just don't really have time to eat that much nor can I convince myself it's OK. I'm going to try for a fewweeks and see what happens though, but I feel like I'm going to blow up. On weeks that I'm "doing good" diet wise, I'm usually half ofthat.

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

The effects of leg day unappreciation. I've been falling into chairs and grabbing onto anything for leverage to get up because this soreness is brutal. At least I'll be stronger next week.
qft

people in class used to look at me like I needed a wheelchair
roll.gif

Originally Posted by NiPxD

Originally Posted by LA213ESPG

I don't know if this question has been asked already, but when is the best time to do cardio, before or after lifting?
always after. After lifitng your body has pretty much used up all the sugar, so the fatty storage is immediately tapped in.
I just started lifting about a month ago and I always start off by doing 30 minutes of cardio. I heard it was better to do it after but didn'tknow

why, so thanks for that info.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

someone recommend some Good Shoulder workouts and triceps in the gym

I cannot remember the names of each workout, but essentially I hit up youtube for 15 mins and watched a few vids to get my schedule down PAT. Watch aninstructional video and if you are convinced, simply skim the comment section to see what everyone else is saying about it. Funny how beneficial the commentsection of youtube has been to every hobby of mine hahahah anyone else?
Basically I just found 4 different work outs and went to the gym a couple of times using light weights so I can ensure I'm using exact form. Then I willrapidly increase the weights until I know I'm using the maximum for my strength, which is usually very light haha. Lying bench fly with dumbells I'mGRUELING with 15lbs but it works perfect for me.

Today: woke up at 8:00am, ate granola+yogurt+banana immediately upon getting out of bed. In a min I will do a series of home ab exercises followed by a45min/400 calorie run on the mill.
Where can I change my morning routine to maximize fatloss? Eating after exercise? run before abs??
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

I cannot remember the names of each workout, but essentially I hit up youtube for 15 mins and watched a few vids to get my schedule down PAT. Watch an instructional video and if you are convinced, simply skim the comment section to see what everyone else is saying about it. Funny how beneficial the comment section of youtube has been to every hobby of mine hahahah anyone else?
Basically I just found 4 different work outs and went to the gym a couple of times using light weights so I can ensure I'm using exact form. Then I will rapidly increase the weights until I know I'm using the maximum for my strength, which is usually very light haha. Lying bench fly with dumbells I'm GRUELING with 15lbs but it works perfect for me.

Today: woke up at 8:00am, ate granola+yogurt+banana immediately upon getting out of bed. In a min I will do a series of home ab exercises followed by a 45min/400 calorie run on the mill.
Where can I change my morning routine to maximize fatloss? Eating after exercise? run before abs??
nerd.gif

Oh and I should mention...
This should be pretty standard but MANY people don't understand. 3 sets of 10-15 reps of SLOW and CONTROLLED repetitions are the most beneficial. Even ifit means lowering your weights, but that shouldn''t be an issue since you we go to the gym for self development physically, not mentally right? hahahi.e. showing off to a bunch of people you dont know, how much you can bench, when in reality you are destroying your rotator cuff and working at a 30%efficiency

Read. Read some books, fitness magazines, etc....

Go to the gym. Hire a trainer. Talk to more experienced lifters. You guys are trusting all sorts of random info from people on the internet you don'teven know and have never seen, etc... Everybody's different, and about half the people that think they know everything about the gym don't know @!#$%. You've just got to put the time in and work out and you'll learn as you go. Just get in the gym and train.

I'd like to have a physique of a european soccer player, have there been any of their workouts published? I know it will involve lots of cardio, buti'd be intrigued to see what sort of exercises they do for upper body.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

I cannot remember the names of each workout, but essentially I hit up youtube for 15 mins and watched a few vids to get my schedule down PAT. Watch an instructional video and if you are convinced, simply skim the comment section to see what everyone else is saying about it. Funny how beneficial the comment section of youtube has been to every hobby of mine hahahah anyone else?
Basically I just found 4 different work outs and went to the gym a couple of times using light weights so I can ensure I'm using exact form. Then I will rapidly increase the weights until I know I'm using the maximum for my strength, which is usually very light haha. Lying bench fly with dumbells I'm GRUELING with 15lbs but it works perfect for me.

Today: woke up at 8:00am, ate granola+yogurt+banana immediately upon getting out of bed. In a min I will do a series of home ab exercises followed by a 45min/400 calorie run on the mill.
nerd.gif
Shoulders
-Shoulder Press
-Military Press
-Get some db's and lift them up to your shoulders, while keeping your arms straight the whole way (make sure arms are parallel to the ground), release andgo back to starting pos., repeat... Use 10-15lbs at first

Tri
-Dips(works out chest and shoulders too) ***Great before leaving the gym***
-Tricep extensions
-Get a db and slowly lower it behind your neck, then lift it back up
-Skull crushers

I'm not very familiar with all the names of exercises. Let me know if you have any other questions.

wj4 wrote:
Just a random question...you guys think athletes go through the cut/bulk up process? Given that most aren't fat to start out already.

The only folks who even know about the bulk/cut process is the more knowledgeable lifters and body builders from my experience.

Athletes have no need to bulk or cut. They train differently than other people do.

I also dont think its that people who bulk/cut are more knowledgeable. Their knowledge shouldnt be coming into question. Athletes simply have different goals and mindsets about what they want to accomplish. An athlete would gain nothing from a bulk/cut process.
Athletes won't "bulk" in the traditional sense, because they aren't going for mass so much as functional strength.

But you better believe that they do use the same principles to reach a similar outcome. When mot athletes go to a higher level of play, like from HS to NCAA or NCAA to the pro level, they need to build strength, which means putting on muscle. To go about it they lift hard and eat for a caloric surplus just like a bodybuilder would. They train differently and eat differently because they are trying to reach different goals, but the idea is the same.

thank you

edit: ok i like this better now what you said the first time

I agree, and this is why I said earlier that the whole bulking/cutting phase is something thats very niche oriented and doesnt need to be done by most people. Bodybuilders are basically the only group of people who have a need to go through those two phases.

The vast majority of individuals who are into working out are either going to be an athlete trying to get faster/stronger, or the generic individual who just wants to lose some fat/get a little bit of muscle.

Originally Posted by StephonUrkel

Long read but some good/crazy info....
eek.gif

New development builds ripped muscles legally

2089_7e129ce2-77db-41f4-a728-2992e702d076.jpg

(ARA) - Researchers in New Jersey have developed an effective, healthy and legal alternative to steroids. The weekly parade of amateur and professional athletes being exposed for using steroids may be a thing of the past.

Steroids are not safe

Many athletes and fitness fanatics have been willing to live with the legal, professional, and health risks of illegal steroids. But studies and research indicate anabolic steroids merely inflate muscles (hence the term "juiced") without permanent beneficial results. There are also unpleasant and harmful side effects of steroid use ranging from diabetes, rage, aggression and uncontrollable mood-swings, to significant changes in physiology not natural to the user's gender.

How is real muscle built?

Healthy muscle tissue is the product of a well-coordinated simultaneous series of activities and processes in the body system. Effective exercise that stresses muscles and ligaments causes them to suffer tiny micro-tears, creating the soreness from exercise. These micro-tears are repaired by stem cells migrating from bone marrow thereby building new muscle tissue. It is important to note that this is additional muscle tissue, not the temporary enlarged effect that anabolic steroids create.

While the muscle repair process is ongoing, the greatest degree of stem cell activity takes place during REM sleep, which is the body's normal regeneration time. So sleep is also a vital part of building muscle.

A healthier approach

To develop a healthier approach to "being ripped," a creative team, led by Dr. Robert Shorr, recognized that accelerating the stem cell activity and sleep were equally important parts of fitness. They also formulated compounds to address the aggregate interaction and synergy of all-natural proteins, enzymes and amino acids, including a stem cell agonist, a trace mineral called indium and components to support natural, non habit-forming sleep processes

The core muscle building component, "eggplant extract," is a natural dietary adult stem cell agonist. The eggplant extract quickly goes to work recruiting the sleeping adult stem cells in bone marrow and starts repairing the micro-tears and building new muscle. It is that combination of elements and interactions that works like magic, for the ultimate easy and safe results we each want, need and deserve.

Real-life results

Corey and Paul Simpson of Tampa, Fla., both professional athletes and trainers, currently working with professional football and baseball players and boxers, were recruited to participate in and monitor the initial Stemulite life trials. They worked with and monitored more than 20 athletes over a 1-month period, changing nothing in their routine, but adding Stemulite to their daily diet. As the results came back, it was clear that the addition of Stemulite to their regimens produced consistent and congruent results, including:

• Dramatic increase in strength and improved endurance
  • Reduced recovery time to hours not days
  • More repetitions and improved muscle definition
  • A decrease in body mass index (BMI) and greater muscle tone
  • Higher sustained energy and more consistent energy throughout the day
  • Improved rest and sleep -- the most common benefit
"Stemulite is the most powerful supplement I have ever put into my body, period," says Corey Simpson, a former Mr. Florida and now active fitness professional. "In the first couple of weeks of using Stemulite, I increased the weight I was lifting by 30 percent and I doubled the amount of repetitions in my workout. It was a little hard to believe."

Michael George, one of Hollywood's most sought-after trainers and fitness experts, has also discovered the remarkable and measurable benefits of the Stemulite Fitness Formula. George, who is an author of several bestselling books, recommends Stemulite Fitness Formula to all his clients who are looking for better sleep, greater strength and endurance, and faster recovery time.
dude this is just a BS marketing ad

stemulite is sold online and at GNC

look up stemulite reviews

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by StephonUrkel

• A decrease in body mass index (BMI) and greater muscle tone
dude this is just a BS marketing ad

stemulite is sold online and at GNC

look up stemulite reviews
With statements like that.. coming from experts? I know it's BS
laugh.gif

I'm not going to lie, I need to get back in the gym. I've got my routine down, I just need to maintain a proper diet. I've come to find out that Ipersonally can't have one working well without the other.

Question: Should one even be doing cardio on days when lifting? If so, should it be done before or after lifting? If not, could cardio be done twice a day onthe four off-days of a MWF 3-day split (modified Rippetoe's SS to gain back lost muscle) without burning out? I ask because I'm 6'2, 210, andI'm trying to lose 15-20 pounds and tone up rather quickly in the next six weeks.

PanaRicanRetro wrote:
Im all for being cautious and slow, but that might be a tad bit reserved.
Enh, I work in the gym all day, so I spend alot of time watching people doing things completely wrong and seeing people get injured because of it, so I guess I err on the side of caution most of the time. Biggest part of my job is keeping people safe and healthy while they're trying to get in shape. Hell, compared to some trainers, my approach is too quick. Some people keep their clients on machines the first month and then spend time doing a bunch of stretches and balance exercises, but I feel like that's not necessarily gonna prep them right.

If youre approach as a trainer is too quick then im going at warp speed.
laugh.gif
I normally progress my clients much quicker than form practicing for a few weeks.

I typically keep them on machines for a few sessions, then move on from there depending on how well theyre progressing.

are you guys legit or "rent a buddies"

my boy an I were both asked if we wanted to be trainers at our gym, any young dude in shape can be a trainer (ive seen many trainers who look like they donteven lift or are fat also, i hate these con artist the most), like supplements there is a lot of BS in the industry.

LA Fitness for example.........i know a dude there who didnt know *#$&^#, he was doing membership sales an they kinda forced "being a personaltrainer" on him

its like Security.......There are contracted personal fitness companies

this is the first book i read right here ACSM exercise testing and prescription.........gold standard in the industry

after that i got my NASM and ACE cert. and my future goal is to become a nutritionist.....are you guys serious about this or is this just a job for now?

30mu7hw.jpg

i have some great books on anatomy, physiology and kinesiology.......once you get undersand that you can pass any of these test

i dont care how good you look, when people start to ask you question and you can back up what you say because you know the science behind what you preach, thatwill make you stand out far greater than other trainers at your gym if youre in one of those BS hourly + commision settings.

I know a dude in Hamden CT who is making BANK..............he goes to homes in 203 (fairfiled county CT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

matter fact here is his website http://www.resultsplus.com/ video on his website

if you take this fitness stuff serious there is def money to be made you dont want 100 clients at some bs gym you just want a strong clientle who have bank.thats where the money is.

husband pays em 250 an hour to train his wife........rate depends on distance and other things.

also somebody mentioned dymatized................great company imo......damn good if youre on a budget too

dymatize elite oatmeal is delicious......

My son Lurkin is going to be the first full time nutritionist and part time Audi salesman.
laugh.gif

I know what you're talking about though, the majority of 'trainers' out there I see from various gyms are just 'there' to fill up the spotsneeded. They get 'promoted' from their original position of sales.

Any one got suggestions for someone simply trying to regain back endurance, speed & a flat stomach?
I'm not trying to lift weights.

PO

Back
Top Bottom