Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

I just ate 2 honey buns, a big bag of sun chips, and almost a whole box of donut holes....
smh.gif

Like 3 months ago I would gain like 5 pounds....

But lately I can literally eat whatever and not gain a pound....
smokin.gif

I think it's because of my new job where I'm active and outside for hours...

But the job is about to end and I'll go right back to normal and have to get back in the gym...

I only do cardio because I HATE lifting....I lose weight but don't keep it off...

Is there any way around lifting....???

Do resistance bands and chest expanders work? Need something to do while im at home on couch watching tv on the days i can't make it to the gym.

Also what can i do if i want my chest shaped a certain way.....

what weight exercises do what?

unless youve already got a lot of mass its really hard to "shape" your chest. a lot of people think flies and stuff shape the chest, it doesnt reallywork that way.

but if you build it up enough i guarantee you'll like the shape that develops.

as for resistance bands i dont mess with them very often but what ive heard is that they are definitely effective. not as much as free weights, but the nextbest thing.

dont know what a chest expander is.

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

Do resistance bands and chest expanders work? Need something to do while im at home on couch watching tv on the days i can't make it to the gym.

Also what can i do if i want my chest shaped a certain way.....

what weight exercises do what?

As long as it doesn't come out looking like Triple H's you'll be good.. his chest is unappealing/undesirable no h o m o to the fullest..

i had my best workout in a WHILE today.. feels good man

i'm starting to go from casually working out to actually hitting the weights hard everyday, so i'm thinking about supplements to give me a boost. iknow its probably been discussed in here, but any suggestions for someone who hasn't taken supplements before?

what's the best kind of whey to get? and should i bother with muscle milk? also, what are you guys opinions on NO Xplode, creatine, etc?

I have a problem getting my bottom abs (bottom 4) to show as much as my first 2 do. Anyone know any good ab workouts that they've tried?

Originally Posted by HyphySole

I have a problem getting my bottom abs (bottom 4) to show as much as my first 2 do. Anyone know any good ab workouts that they've tried?
lose some fat. ab workouts arent gonna do it

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

I dont think I can lose anymore fat. Seriously. Im 5 9, 150. I just wanted to see what ab workouts some of you guys do.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

i had my best workout in a WHILE today.. feels good man

i'm starting to go from casually working out to actually hitting the weights hard everyday, so i'm thinking about supplements to give me a boost. i know its probably been discussed in here, but any suggestions for someone who hasn't taken supplements before?

what's the best kind of whey to get? and should i bother with muscle milk? also, what are you guys opinions on NO Xplode, creatine, etc?

While there is truth about everything you will here tons of opinions as well is misinformation. IMO I say go on these sites like bodybuilding andmuscle&strength and read the articles. It helps you understand a lot of different things. If you can afford it(its a little more money) go for WheyIsolate. I say rock with that for a while and as you really get accustomed to things add something else you wanted to try but do it one by one to see how yourbody reacts to it. Least, this is what I've got from my research.

I dont think I can lose anymore fat. Seriously. Im 5 9, 150. I just wanted to see what ab workouts some of you guys do.
Unless you are ~5% BF, which you aren't, you can lose more fat. Having abs visible has very little to do with how muscular they are, it hasto do with how little fat is covering them. Men store fat primarily in their gut, so the bottom abs are the last ones to show through.

I do a different ab workout than most, I like doing lower rep stuff with higher weight. Abs are a muscle just like everything else, so I don't see whydudes do a million different crunches with no weight like it's gonna build any mass.

Go look at pg. 37
And Like Joe said all you can do is lose fat, it's all about your diet and cardio at this point. Do you know what your body fat % is?

Im with you my man. But i know how i can get rid of that problem. Simply cardio. Forreal i posted in here stating how i hate running and always swim as analternative for cardio

I finally realized i can not just swim and expect to lose that abdominal fat and suck it in and ran. Been week number 3 now for running. 3 times a week, alwaysafter lifting, for 20 minutes, 2 miles.

Swimming is still on the agenda tho, daily
pimp.gif

Unless you are ~5% BF, which you aren't, you can lose more fat. Having abs visible has very little to do with how muscular they are, it has to do with how little fat is covering them. Men store fat primarily in their gut, so the bottom abs are the last ones to show through.

I do a different ab workout than most, I like doing lower rep stuff with higher weight. Abs are a muscle just like everything else, so I don't see why dudes do a million different crunches with no weight like it's gonna build any mass.
This makes sense. So can you not lose some of that gut by doing crunches? Or is running and cardio the best thing? And how do you measure bodyfat?

Unless you are ~5% BF, which you aren't, you can lose more fat. Having abs visible has very little to do with how muscular they are, it has to do with how little fat is covering them. Men store fat primarily in their gut, so the bottom abs are the last ones to show through.

I do a different ab workout than most, I like doing lower rep stuff with higher weight. Abs are a muscle just like everything else, so I don't see why dudes do a million different crunches with no weight like it's gonna build any mass.
This makes sense. So can you not lose some of that gut by doing crunches? Or is running and cardio the best thing? And how do you measure body fat?
It's impossible to lose your gut that way. Doing crunches doesn't burn fat. But cardio isn't the only essential part of revealing yourabs, you have to make sure you're diet is in check.
As far as measuring body fat % I saw a site posted here that shows you how to do it but you'd have to look for it. But I'm pretty they'll do it atyour gym if you ask.

HyphySole wrote:

This makes sense. So can you not lose some of that gut by doing crunches? Or is running and cardio the best thing? And how do you measure body fat?

Crunches and other abs exercise are the same as when you lift weights, they strenthen your muscles. When you work out your abs you are basically strentheningyour core, thus helps you get stronger and you will be able to do other exercises more effectively (and safely because of stability)

But to burn fat you also need to do cardio. Or you can just lift really hard core with no rest, or do explosive exercises. That'll be sure to burn someserious lipid there.

HyphySole wrote:

HyphySole wrote:

HyphySole wrote:

JC - I agree for the most part with what you said, but I do think that some of it can also be deceiving to other people here. I do agree that a massive amountof crunches isn very effective, but its still important to train the abdominals for muscular endurance as well as strength. Low rep/higher intensity work forthe abdominals is the "better" way to train them, I still would advise everyone to have at least one session a week where the endurance of them isworked.

I totally agree with the low rep/high intensity form of training the abs, but i'd also throw in a day of other movements as well.

Originally Posted by NiPxD

HyphySole wrote:

Crunches and other abs exercise are the same as when you lift weights, they strenthen your muscles. When you work out your abs you are basically strenthening your core, thus helps you get stronger and you will be able to do other exercises more effectively (and safely because of stability)

But to burn fat you also need to do cardio. Or you can just lift really hard core with no rest, or do explosive exercises. That'll be sure to burn some serious lipid there.
I know cardio can burn a lot of calories, but im trying to not lose any weight cause Im light enough as it is. Any way to do cardio and keep theweight on and burn fat at the same time?

Exactly. Doing abs isn't cardio, so you're not gonna shed any fat by doing numerous reps in that area.

Ayo Joe, shed some light on what ab workouts you do with the weights, eh?

Originally Posted by Durden7

HyphySole wrote:

HyphySole wrote:

HyphySole wrote:

JC - I agree for the most part with what you said, but I do think that some of it can also be deceiving to other people here. I do agree that a massive amount of crunches isn very effective, but its still important to train the abdominals for muscular endurance as well as strength. Low rep/higher intensity work for the abdominals is the "better" way to train them, I still would advise everyone to have at least one session a week where the endurance of them is worked.

I totally agree with the low rep/high intensity form of training the abs, but i'd also throw in a day of other movements as well.

I agree with both of you. The general rule is that you need to be in the single digit for body fat for the abs to be visible. The lowest being4-5 % body fat, like Joe stated, which is essential body fat. From that range up until 10% is the athletic zone, and anything upwards until 25-30% is average.

I use a medicine ball every 2 times a week for low rep/high intensity and the other 2-3 days I do my normal reps. I'd also like to point out that when youare working your abs, you should really work the abs and crunch them...and not 'swing' up and down like a door on a hinge, for a lack of better wordsand example.

Back
Top Bottom