Stoudemire Spending Reported $100,000 to Learn From Hakeem Olajuwon

You obviously haven't watched much miami games, Lebron has a post game & was the most efficient in the league in the post if i'm not mistaken

no i dont watch miami games, but i can bet you that kobe has the best post up game in the league, by far, including centers and lebron.. and most of his moves he already had before he went to hakeem..

no i dont watch miami games, but i can bet you that kobe has the best post up game in the league, by far, including centers and lebron.. and most of his moves he already had before he went to hakeem..
kobe.gif

Not so dumb, in fact, it's incredibly wise.
Hakeem wasn't the ballplayer we remember when coming out of college. In fact, the summer runs down on the University of Houston campus is where Hakeem learned to ply his trade against Moses Malone, who is the DEAN of low post footwork. Those workouts were legendary, as that is where you could even find Moses playing Point Guard during those runs. When Hakeem got into the league, he was ready. While not being as polished in regard to maturity, he was an absolute BEAST on the block, which allowed 7"4 Ralph Sampson to play on the perimeter.
One of the other reasons that this is great, is that the Pete Newell Big Man Camp is no longer in existence. This was where big men could go and learn how to use proper footwork, ball handling skill in the post, learning how to defend pick and rolls, and the like.
Also, there is the destruction of Basketball fundamentals due to the influence of the AAU. Most cats 6"7 and over, want to be finesse players beginning at a young age, and systems like the AAU do not force them, as was done in earlier era's, to learn how to operate in the post. For an athlete like LeBron James to not have an efficient post game, fluent footwork while in the post, is downright embarrassing. Sure, he can and probably will improve, but with nine years in the league, he should have all sorts of drop step moves in order to dominate smaller defenders, moves that do not require brute strength.
I'm 6"4, and when I play against bigger, younger players today, I should not be able to accomplish the stuff that I can against their athleticism, if they were taught the fundamentals of post play. The biggest issue is FOOTWORK, and Hakeem knows a bit about that.
I can say this, the coaches in College who were MASTERS at teaching this, are no longer involved. Dean Smith, all NC players had ridiculous footwork under his tutelage, which was a difference maker when they became Pro's. Look at James Worthy, Jordan, Perkins, Daugherty, Walter Davis, Bob McAdoo, and many others, what younger players of today are NOT learning, is the reason why the rest of the world is catching up.

All of THIS!!!

LOLz at nigerian scam.

LOLz at giving Serge priority because of historical demographic commonalities.

Nah, the Dream still has the fundamental, and foot work.

The thing is, these guys like Amare are done for. They spent too many seasons playing a style and it'll be difficult for them to change.

The Dream looks like a scam though, but all day all night, he'll school these kids. Hakeem's teachings could be seen in Kobe's footwork, but not so much w/ others like Lebron. Lebron went to him for psychiatric help.

Given that Amar'e came straight out of HS of course he was living off his athleticism and was never taught post moves or bothered to learn. The way I see it if Kobe can go and learn from the legend anyone should if they got the money to spend on it.

It's been said and even Kobe has said it himself. He has watched a lot of tape, and done a lot of practice w/ his footwork. We only hear about the 'dream', but I'm sure Kobe has had lots of practice w/ people we don't even know about.

^^ people don't remember the fact that kobe was able to INCORPORATE the footwork into his own. KOBE DOES not need to play post, nor does it make sense, but he sure can do so.

That's the stage 2, that these other players need, and that's their own style. For some, they ain't even at stage 1 yet. They're trying to replicate.

Dude said Melo has a better post game than Kobe :lol: now that's comedy... But amare wasting money b/c he can score already. W/ Felton there I'm sure more pick and roll/pops will be ran... He needs some defensive coaching on how to guard the pick and roll, help and weak side defending and rebounding. All of those things is what will keep Amare in NY and win some games.

I don't know if any of guys know this, but Hakeem doesn't keep the money he gets from players. All the money he gets from teaching guys like Dwight, Kobe, Lebron and Amare all go to his local Mosque in Houston. Dude is very generous person. I think he sold off his championship rings and made one into something else. Not to sure about the one.
Also, the moves that Hakeem had used in the NBA were more for quicker guards and forwards. He even admitted to this when he taught Kobe the post moves. The amount of quickness you need far surpasses the strength one might assume is more useful when doing his moves.
Check out the video. Also, this is an old article written about how guys performed before and after they worked out with Hakeem. There no surprise that Kobe benefited a lot more than Howard did. Aside from the difference between Kobe's work ethic than Dwight's is night and day, it's obvious that Hakeem's moves are more for faster guards and Forwards. http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/9364/comparing-lebron-to-hakeems-graduates

il42b5kbIuyiQ.gif

You can see how Kobe improved and incorporated.

I forgot who said it, but they were saying when did Hakeem become the go to guy for post moves and why not Kevin Mchale. This was before he became coach again.

Charles Barkley said that.

Another thing is idk why people go to Hakeem for post moves and I'm a rockets fan. I mean he is arguably the greatest post player of all time, but his style was so unique that most of these guys that try to learn from him will prolly just get lost.

You obviously haven't watched much miami games, Lebron has a post game & was the most efficient in the league in the post if i'm not mistaken

I laugh at people that think Bron is a good post player, just because he does it more than he used to doesnt make him any better at it, the only area i saw improvement from bron in the post was when he had a dude who was under 6'4 guarding him.

why wouldn't the knicks just make olojuwon a paid member of the coaching staff?

You asked for one, but I am going to give you two.
Tim Duncan, and then Kobe's teammate, Pau Gasol.
Want another?
Z Bo, Zach Randolph, awesome post moves, great footwork underneath.
I got more fo' ya' if you need'em as well.

Well with Z-Bo its more about his backside and his shot release. Footwork wise Kobe is better.

I agree with Duncan who still gets alot from keeping it so simple and fundemental.
Gasol has length, big hands and is quick off the turn but all that is wasted if he cant finish from playing weak or if gets pushed off the block by a smaller power forward.

Regarding Amare....we all know its not his offense that needs work so I dont know what he's thinking. Unless he's really that detached from reality that he thinks he needs to learn more ways to score to make his team better instead of working on his true deficiencies (defense/rebounding).

Well with Z-Bo its more about his backside and his shot release. Footwork wise Kobe is better.
I agree with Duncan who still gets alot from keeping it so simple and fundemental.
Gasol has length, big hands and is quick off the turn but all that is wasted if he cant finish from playing weak or if gets pushed off the block by a smaller power forward.
Regarding Amare....we all know its not his offense that needs work so I dont know what he's thinking. Unless he's really that detached from reality that he thinks he needs to learn more ways to score to make his team better instead of working on his true deficiencies (defense/rebounding).
You must not have seen him last season. He was almost as bad offensively as he was defensively, which is saying a lot.:lol:

I agree he needs to be working on his defense and rebounding, though. He's abysmal.

I'm gonna have to say Z-bo has the best post moves in the game but props to Olajuwon for giving that money away to mosques and the like.

why wouldn't the knicks just make olojuwon a paid member of the coaching staff?
They can't just draft him and force him to coach. Hakeem has to agree to be a full-time coach, and he's probably perfectly happy doing it this way.

Amar'e needs post moves, especially if he isn't hitting his jumper. If he's not, all he does is jab step and then try to run over people. Or tries to dribble and gets stripped.

Sounds like a Nigerian Scam to me
DEADDDD 
laugh.gif

hahahahaha but no really tho... lotsa guys have moves... knowing when and how to execute them is entirely different...

thats supposedly what Hakeem is imparting on these guys, the footwork part they could learn from team coaches/youtube

The question was better post moves...
...so screw it, Kobe Bryant's footwork is so good, he can walk on water.

Well, Z-Bo's post moves are basic (yet effective) but footwork wise he isnt as good as Kobe. Which really doesnt matter because Randolph is a post scorer and a better post scorer then Kobe anyway.

And while Kobe's footwork is great for a perimeter/wing player and better then most actual post scorers...he aint walking on water much less a hardwood court with out German Orthokine treatment.
So dont worry AKALONGSTROKECOACHHUBIE, he will be out of the league soon (and you wont have to worry about his shoe sales in NYC anymore) :lol:

Last edited:
to be honest teams should pay to send their players to him every summer imagine if Washington did that with kwame brown or Suns wit amare or Dwight from rookie by now they be dominate in the post instead of waiting to their prime to just learn a go to post move o_O doesn't make sense...

Back
Top Bottom