Strange situation, could use some advice.

I posted about this in the "Jobless" thread: I had an interview with this company for a 9-5 cubicle type job with decent pay that I crushed. It was basically a sure thing.

Like two days after that interview, I get an email from an editor at NPR in DC, saying they'd like to call me.

I had applied for an internship at NPR like two months ago and never heard back, so I completely dismissed and forgot about it. I emailed back saying we could talk on the phone Friday.

Problem is, this morning I got a voicemail from the recruiter for the 9-5 saying she had "good news". This is obviously a job offer.

I would love to work with NPR headquarters. I love NPR. I worked with my local NPR member station in the winter and I loved it. Best job I ever had. Someone at NPR was also aware of my existence during that time because they took one of my articles and posted it on their FB. The problem is that

1. I don't live anywhere NEAR DC and they don't pay for transportation or accomodation for the internship. I checked. So I would have to first make my way up there, then find a place to live for 10 weeks. I dont know anyone in DC.

2. The internship is paid, but not much. I've got a car note that I'm taking over, and my student loans kick in when July hits. As a nearing graduate with very little funds or savings and is trying to put together the moneh to move out eventually, I need to stack paper right now.

Media is my dream job. The job I'm being offered down here is basic data entry at the least, or credentialing at the most. It pays more, and should i choose to get into IT like I've been thinking, the company offers a little bit of money for graduate education. The company seems to have an extensive IT department.

What should I do?

Last edited:
Make it happen. You'd hate to look back on this opportunity, years down the line, knowing you could've done something now.

I love NPR too, make it happen!

go with NPR, if you do well then you will in all likelihood receive some kind of offer to stay with them after the internship

Shoot that shot B

9 times outta 10, an internship leads to a full time job
10 weeks is like 2.5 months, hit up craigslist and find a sublease.

Brooklyn - DC is only a 4 hour ride.

How much are they paying?

If you go, I suggest you bust *** to make them want to make you a permanent employee. Meet everyone there and consistently ask if they need any extra assistance. Don't go down there slacking.

But only you know the details of your financials. Moving is very expensive and not knowing anyone makes it worse. I'm sure everyone will say go for it when they have nothing at stake. You could really go through a dark time if bills start coming and you cant pay em. Don't for get to adjust for cost of living either in DC either.

Go with NPR man. It'll work out, especially if you're saying you loved it and I mean if they want you, you're obviously valuable to them!

Do it bro! Goodluck :pimp:

I love NPR, listen to the podcasts ereday, send me some NPR swag :lol:

I'd say go with NPR.

Regardless on which, congratulations.

stack that paper pleighboi. 

Fam you can even get a part time weekend job down in DC. Its mad food to be eaten, it's just a matter of who wants to cook

My friend's little brother had an internship at NPR following college and it didn't lead to a full time position. His internship was unpaid, however, so yours may be different. If you want you can send me an email and I can put you two in touch to potentially ask him any follow up questions.

Can you get forbearance on your loans? I know for my student loans I get 36 months forbearance, and if you demonstrate that you can't pay they will work with you.

Thanks for the advice, and I'm just gonna answer everyone's questions at once instead of quoting folks individually

1. I'm not in BK, flyNY. Ma dukes moved us up out the hood several years ago. I'm in FL. A drive to DC would be some journey :lol:

2. I highly, highly doubt that there's a full-time position on the table after the internship. Like i said, i interned with the local NPR member station here in FL and there wasn't even a thought of hiring me, and not because I did poor work. I did great work, but they literally weren't hiring. We actually had a freelancer here who was a former NPR intern.

3. The minimum pay for this 9-5 is about 2.5k a month, meaning minimum 15$/hr. I asked for quite a bit more on my application. NPR pays a MAXIMUM of around 4k for 2.5 months of full-time work. That's about 10$/hr. I don't know if it's possible to support myself with that in DC. I'm looking at extended stay rates and I'm seeing $100 a night, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

4. Loan forbearance is certainly a possibility

Again, thanks for the advice. The more I type about this, the less possible it seems :smh:

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, and I'm just gonna answer everyone's questions at once instead of quoting folks individually

1. I'm not in BK, flyNY. Ma dukes moved us up out the hood several years ago. I'm in FL. A drive to DC would be some journey :lol:

2. I highly, highly doubt that there's a full-time position on the table after the internship. Like i said, i interned with the local NPR member station here in FL and there wasn't even a thought of hiring me, and not because I did poor work. I did great work, but they literally weren't hiring. We actually had a freelancer here who was a former NPR intern.

3. The minimum pay for this 9-5 is about 2.5k a month, meaning minimum 15$/hr. I asked for quite a bit more on my application. NPR pays a MAXIMUM of around 4k for 2.5 months of full-time work. That's about 10$/hr. I don't know if it's possible to support myself with that in DC. I'm looking at extended stay rates and I'm seeing $100 a night, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Again, thanks for the advice. The more I type about this, the less possible it seems :smh:

I'm in the DC area (currently a student a umd), 4k for 2.5 months is gonna be tough in this area but it's possible. If you decide to take the position I'd recommend not living in DC, you can find an apartment with a roommate in metro accessible areas for around $500-$700 a month. Even if the NPR gig doesn't turn into a full time, there are a bunch of jobs in the MD-VA-DC area so if you network well you should be able to find something after the summer.

1. I'm not in BK, flyNY. Ma dukes moved us up out the hood several years ago. I'm in FL. A drive to DC would be some journey
laugh.gif

Again, thanks for the advice. The more I type about this, the less possible it seems
mean.gif
take the job bruh here in dc 40k isnt even livable let alone 10/hr , most rooms for rent are 600/month plus metro is at least 5 bucks during rush hr 

I'm in the DC area (currently a student a umd), 4k for 2.5 months is gonna be tough in this area but it's possible. If you decide to take the position I'd recommend not living in DC, you can find an apartment with a roommate in metro accessible areas for around $500-$700 a month. Even if the NPR gig doesn't turn into a full time, there are a bunch of jobs in the MD-VA-DC area so if you network well you should be able to find something after the summer.

take the job bruh here in dc 40k isnt even livable let alone 10/hr , most rooms for rent are 600/month plus metro is at least 5 bucks during rush hr 

My friend who lives in DC is telling me that if I'm not trying to live in an episode of The Wire rent is like 1200 for a one bedroom. I'm on realtor and the cheapest spots don't look very hospitable. :smh:

My friend who lives in DC is telling me that if I'm not trying to live in an episode of The Wire rent is like 1200 for a one bedroom. I'm on realtor and the cheapest spots don't look very hospitable.
mean.gif
i live in dc i pay 800/month my spot aint bad for a se spot but its because my building is all old ppl mostly , but it depends on what u can tolerate . my spot is called belmont crossing . im pretty sure the hood in ny is eqiv. to se dc just less people 

i live in dc i pay 800/month my spot aint bad for a se spot but its because my building is all old ppl mostly , but it depends on what u can tolerate . my spot is called belmont crossing . im pretty sure the hood in ny is eqiv. to se dc just less people 

Isn't it dangerous over there?
OP moved out the hood :lol: why would he wanna move back?
But I hear you though. OP I know someone who works in DC but lives in VA. Pays about 600

Isn't it dangerous over there?
OP moved out the hood
laugh.gif
why would he wanna move back?
But I hear you though. OP I know someone who works in DC but lives in VA. Pays about 600
is dangerous if u go lookin for danger , if u mind your business u good anywhere , but for 800 i got 728sq ft. i got all amenties except laundry is downstair in my building . va for 600 its either a program or a studio , plus travel from va is brutal traffic wise or metro wise $5 one way trip or more . i live in dc work in rockville so i get the best of both worlds 
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

can you create an llc and write all this off as a business expense :nerd: probably not though :lol:

:nerd: do continue

Real talk I'm this close to calling this recruiter back and taking this job.

I'm about to list the pros and cons of each right now

9-5:
Pros
Comfortable pay based on my situation
Pay allows me to cover my bills and still be comfortable
Better opportunity for savings as parents are letting me stay home until I can stack enough bread to leave
Tuition support for when I go for that MBA
Upward mobility to other departments is possible and facilitated by an MBA

Cons
Work is not what I'm passionate about and honestly sounds somewhat boring
I don't want to get "stuck"

NPR:
Pros
Basically a continuation of my winter internshp, which I completely loved
Able to explore work I'm passionate about (writing/media)
Opportunity to network outside the state and to meet some huge personalities
A great resume credit for a highly competitive industry that I'm desperately trying to break into

Cons
Pay is not that high
Only a temporary internship with no guarantee of employment afterwards
I don't live anywhere near DC
Living arrangements in DC are horrendously expensive
If I fly, I won't have reliable transportation (which is a must in that field)
My bills, cost of living arrangements, food, and transportation might not be payable with the NPR stipend
Biggest con: THIS NPR GIG IS NOT A SURE THING. I haven't even interviewed with anyone yet

EDIT: I just saw some of your posts. Man I really ain't tryna be back in the pjs right now. :lol: but that doesn't mean every cheap spot in DC is the hood, is it?

Last edited:
Meh Idk man that's tough.

if I were in your situation I would go for the NPR, IMO the Pros you listed for the NPR position outweigh everything else.

But that's what I would do, you gotta do you.

Every spot in your price range is probably gonna be in the hood if you wanna live in DC. But there's a bunch of young people in this area in your situation so it won't be hard to find a roommate if you about that roomie life.

You could also live in PG county or some parts of NOVA. I'd suggest looking at the WMATA metro map and searching for rooms/apts around metro stops east of DC; so the green, blue and orange lines would be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom