Student stabbed to death with switchblade by classmate at Bronx high school

Matthew McCree, 15, stabbed to death by classmate using switchblade at Bronx public school
http://nydn.us/2wX7h8l
DKwK6qbXkAgT70e.jpg

A 15-year-old boy was stabbed to death Wednesday by a bullied classmate who was armed with a switchblade inside a Bronx high school history class.

A 16-year-old teen was also wounded in the bloody clash within the fifth-floor classroom at the Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Management on Mohegan Ave. near E. 179th St. in West Farms, officials said.

“The second kid, they was rushing him out on a stretcher,” said neighbor Sharon Borden, 55, who witnessed the aftermath. “I was like ‘Move, get away!’”

“It was scary, that was somebody’s child stabbed up,” she said. “I watch these kids every day. I can’t believe it.”

Teen stabs Bronx student outside school during fight over girl
Cops arrested the attacker, identified as 18-year-old Abel Cedeno, who was in the history class with the two victims and about 20 other students at about 10:50 a.m.

Sources said Cedeno was being bullied at school.

“We believe this argument has been going on for about two weeks into the school year,” NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said. “A fight erupted today after some back and fourth about a half-hour into the class.”

Medics rushed the two victims to St. Barnabas Hospital, where 15-year-old Matthew McRee died.

Matthew McCree, 15, was stabbed to death with a switchblade. (FACEBOOK)
The second victim, Ariane Laboy, was in critical condition with stab wounds to his chest, arm and side.

After the stabbing, Cedeno walked out of the class and freely gave his knife — a spring action knife with a 3-inch blade — to a school official, Boyce said.

He then sat in the assistant principal’s office as cops were called.

The teen was being interviewed at the 48th Precinct stationhouse Wednesday. No charges have been filed.

“This is a painful, painful tragedy for the families involved,” Mayor de Blasio said. “We will do all we can to support them and the community, which is reeling right now from this incident.”

Panicked parents raced to the Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Management, which shares the building with a Public School 67, demanding that their children be released.

As the children were slowly led out, Chief Joanne Jaffe, commanding officer of the NYPD Community Affairs Division, told parents that students who witnessed the killing were still inside the classroom with their teacher.

stab.jpg
NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce holds up a photo copy of the switchblade used in the school assault. (HOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

“We want to get help for the kids in the classroom with their teacher,” she said. “We are trying to get support services in there and we are trying to get help for the other children in the school.”

Jaffe said it was not immediately clear if students in other parts of the school had heard what happened.

Several small fights broke out as parents demanded that their children be released from school early.

“Let the kids out! They want to leave!” one parent screamed.

"One little girl is banging her head on the f---ing window!” screamed Rita Taylor, 23, the mother of a 5-year-old girl in the school. “ They're f---ing scared!”

“How about you let the f---ing kids out!” she screamed. “I'm not going to calm down! My daughter is in there crying! I know my child!"

"I'm heartbroken at the loss of one of our students and this tragedy should never have taken place," Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña said in the statement. "We are working closely with the NYPD on the investigation and providing ongoing guidance, support and counseling to the school community."

Angry parents demand the release of children at Public School 67 on Mohegan Ave. near E. 179th St., in the Bronx on September 27, 2017.
article-schoolstab1-0927.jpg
Angry parents demand the release of children at Public School 67 on Mohegan Ave. near E. 179th St., in the Bronx on September 27, 2017. (ANTHONY DELMUNDO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

The last time a murder took place on school grounds was in June 2014, when 14-year-old Noel Estevez stabbed another 14-year-old boy to death outside of Intermediate School 117 on Morris Ave. in Mount Hope. Estevez stabbed his classmate, and one time friend, because the victim had robbed him and taken his cellphone, police said.

In 2002, a teen gunman shot two classmates at the Martin Luther High School in Manhattan, but both victims survived.

The Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Management does not have metal detectors, sources with knowledge of the incident said.

If they did, it would have picked up Cedeno’s knife, Boyce said.

More school safety officers and random scanners will be brought to the school beginning tomorrow, de Blasio said.

The troubled school has struggled with safety issues for years.

Just 19% of teachers reported feeling safe at the school in 2016, far below the city average of 75%.

"One little girl is banging her head on the f------ window!” screamed Rita Taylor, 23, the mother of a 5-year-old girl in the school. “ They're f------ scared!”
article-schoolstab-0927.jpg

And just 55% of students said they felt safe in school hallways in 2016, far below the city average of 84%.
The school death comes amid ongoing criticism of Mayor de Blasio's handling of safety issues in public schools.

De Blasio has claimed school violence is down but state statistics contradict him and show that serious incidents in the public schools are actually on the rise.

Meanwhile, critics including law enforcement officials and high-ranking educators say de Blasio has instituted a number of policies that make it harder for arrests and suspensions to take place at schools.

New York City Parents Union president Mona Davids said the mayor is to blame for Thursday's death.

"I blame de Blasio. He's responsible for it," said Davids. "He removed most of the scanners from schools. Then he made it just about impossible for principals to suspend students."

Added Davids: "He endangered the lives of the majority of the students in the public schools. And now a life is gone."

Reminds me of that scene in the wore where old girl buck 50d that bully in the classroom.

Kid stabs them, then hands in the knife and waits for the cops. Cold. And he's 18 too. Homie aint going to juvie for this.

:smh:

Was McRee the one doing the bullying though, or was he just a victim in the situation as a result of the kid being bullied?

Metal detectors should be in every school

Yep. De Blasio lies and says that the schools are safe yet kids are bringing guns, knives and razors to class every day. This could have been prevented. Hit him with a murder charge. The families of the victims should sue for every penny they can get.

I actually do the expense report for a the school. It's funded by my organization. As least partially.

CEO sent out a email about it. She didn't mention death. I just thought it was a random stabbing. RIP to the young brotha.

Sad as ****.

These Public schools never change. They may change the name, make em charter or whatever and even make em wear uniforms but the problems still persist.

:smh:
so sad
dudes need to learn p
aint worth fighting or dying over
and dudes need to learn to fight instead of using weapons

Thats why i want to know if the kid that died was actually the bully.

If so yeah sad he had to die because no life should be taken, and i cant imagine the pain his family has to deal with now over something like this. With that said, if you wanna bully someone thats a risk youre taking these days. Nobody fights anymore and the more n more you hear about stuff like this, the more those bullied kids are gonna find weapons to retaliate or just kill themselves

2 lives directly ruined now, 1 of them lost. Countless family members/friends on both side will hurt for a long long time.

Killing someone is obviously never a sound, logical response in a bullying situation. But if the deceased was indeed part of the bullying, this is why you don’t mess with people. You never know when you’re ****ing with someone crazy enough to respond like this.

Sad situation all around though. Avoidable on several levels.

unfortunate event that could have been prevented if security measures were taken at the school, bullying or not

not condoning bullying, but man this really shows you never know what a person is capable of ...

Sad for both families...smh

West Farms too smh, i graduated kindergarten in that school. Right across from the Happyland spot (another smh story)

How does it even happen? Freshman and what should be a senior have very little contact

I had classes with all upper classmen. Lunch and gym as well.
There are some upper classmen that are quiet, nerdy, geeky, etc.
Popular kids, stud athletes, and class clowns feed off that sadly man.
I seen it wayyyy too often.

Back
Top Bottom