Study: Florida drivers worst in nation

Study: Florida drivers worst in nation
http://on-ajc.com/2x2MEeA
DIcyPU3WAAAN8g9.jpg

Updated: 1:28 p.m. Tuesday, August 29, 2017 | Posted: 1:14 p.m. Monday, August 28, 2017

A lot of people think Florida has the worst drivers in the country.

Now they have proof.

According to a survey compiled by SmartAsset, a personal-finance company, the Sunshine State’s motorists rank as the nation’s most unsafe for the second consecutive year.

That’s unlikely to surprise anyone who frequently braves South Florida’s roadways and highways and face drivers who seem intent on cementing the state’s reputation for horrible driving.

“Between tourists, transplants, texting, teens and octogenarians of course Florida is #1,” Marianne Sezo posted on the website Delray Raw.

Wrote Alex Phillips, of Delray Beach: “Probably the least surprising thing I’ve heard all year.”

How old is too old to drive?

The survey took four factors into account: DUI arrests, people killed in traffic crashes, percentage of drivers insured and Google searches for speeding tickets.

Florida faired worst in the percentage of drivers who are insured, coming in No. 2 overall behind Oklahoma with only 76.2 percent of its motorists carrying insurance.

According to the study, Florida ranked ninth-highest in the nation with 1.42 fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles as well as in the number of times residents Googled “speeding ticket” or “traffic ticket.” The heavy Googling for subjects related to tickets indicates that Floridians are accumulating citations at higher rates than other states, according to SmartAsset.

Palm Beach County third worst in hit-and-run crashes

Of the four factors of bad driving considered, the only one working Florida’s favor was its lack of DUI arrests. The state had the 45th-lowest rate of DUI arrests.

Coming in behind Florida with the overall worst drivers were Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee and Oklahoma. Massachusetts was last in the survey and, presumably, has the state’s safest drivers.

Florida and Mississippi also ranked 1-2 in the company’s 2016 survey.

Carol Graffeo, of Delray Beach, is not surprised Florida’s drivers are thought of so negatively.

“Worst drivers I have ever seen in my 50+ years of driving!,” Graffeo posted on Delray Raw. “I come from Massachusetts and I thought we were bad drivers.”

People in the Seattle area are ****ing terrible. Mother ****er be doing 55 in the far left lane

I would like to nominate the drivers surrounding the nation's capitol, DC, VA, MD

my younger sister just started driving and recently spent three weeks in MD for a camp at UMD, and she was like **** MD drivers :lol:

she lives in Chicago and drives on the Ryan/90, she was like that is nothing compared to the lunatics on 95 in MD...:rofl:

Traffic here is awful no matter where you go. The worst is the snowbirds who clog up the roads with their terrible driving.

I drive in Orlando for a living and all these damn visitors are the worst. They don't know the roads and they think they can just do whatever they want. They'll slow down to see if they are going the right way. Pull on a dime to avoid missing an exit on the highway or toll road.. :smh:

Live in South Florida, can confirm. It's like there's no such thing as a turn signal, and when it rains folks love to drive with their hazard lights on. During the winter it's gets a lot worse because all the snowbirds that come down.

can confirm... we always see random florida license plates here in houston and bet they always drive like a *****

I would argue Milwaukee has the absolute worst drivers. Run red lights, go 80 in the bus lane hugging the right shoulder. Turning left in the right lane. Hit and runs every single week and on top of that drunk drunk driving.

Was in Philly the past couple of weekends..they (Pennsylvania) are the absolute worst drivers I ever encountered..braking with no cars in front of them..it's like they have no 'flow' while driving..I must have flipped 20 birds during that time

I lived in west palm for awhile and don't really remember experiencing any type of road rage lol

Was in Florida not too long ago and can confirm. Took an uber somewhere and the driver didn't turn quick to check his blind spot or anything He just signaled and we almost got in an accident on the highway.

Back
Top Bottom