Sup NT, I've survived a 7.1 earthquake and now a 6.3 vol. My city is in ruins

4.35am 4th of September 2010, my city, Christchurch, in New Zealand was hit by a magnitude 7.1 earthquake.

It was 33km deep and 30kms out of the central city. Not one person died. Not one building collapsed. We had NZ$5b worth of damage but those two facts were the silver lining in this dark, dark cloud of an event.

Today at 12.51pm, the 22nd (on this side of the world) we were struck with a magnitude 6.3 earthquake. 5km deep and 10kms out of the central city.

To give you an idea of how deep this one was, 5km is about 3 miles.

My city is in ruins.

We've had buildings collapse and multiple fatalities.

Words cannot express what my city and people have gone through. I wouldn't wish the terror and uncertainty of safety on my worst enemy. These are terrifying. You have no idea of the strength of the earth, what is going to happen or when it is going to stop.

We haven't had one that has lasted as long as the initial 7.1 back in September, but they still hold the same terror, they still have people dancing along the fine line of stress and panic.

EDIT: 65 have been confirmed dead, as of 6.36pm Tuesday here in NZ

I could go on and on, but it wouldn't do it justice. We're still having large aftershocks (4.4 - 5.2) right up to this minute.

Some pictures I've taken from the news reports... These don't even show how bad it is.

#poor pictures, but it's way too dangerous to venture into the city. And you'd be a hazard anyway.

This is so surreal. It doesn't feel like I'm watching my own city on the news right now.

On a lighter note, happy birthday to my fellow survivor and Christchurch NTer dollabill87. Glad you're safe boy, much love.

4.35am 4th of September 2010, my city, Christchurch, in New Zealand was hit by a magnitude 7.1 earthquake.

It was 33km deep and 30kms out of the central city. Not one person died. Not one building collapsed. We had NZ$5b worth of damage but those two facts were the silver lining in this dark, dark cloud of an event.

Today at 12.51pm, the 22nd (on this side of the world) we were struck with a magnitude 6.3 earthquake. 5km deep and 10kms out of the central city.

To give you an idea of how deep this one was, 5km is about 3 miles.

My city is in ruins.

We've had buildings collapse and multiple fatalities.

Words cannot express what my city and people have gone through. I wouldn't wish the terror and uncertainty of safety on my worst enemy. These are terrifying. You have no idea of the strength of the earth, what is going to happen or when it is going to stop.

We haven't had one that has lasted as long as the initial 7.1 back in September, but they still hold the same terror, they still have people dancing along the fine line of stress and panic.

EDIT: 65 have been confirmed dead, as of 6.36pm Tuesday here in NZ

I could go on and on, but it wouldn't do it justice. We're still having large aftershocks (4.4 - 5.2) right up to this minute.

Some pictures I've taken from the news reports... These don't even show how bad it is.

#poor pictures, but it's way too dangerous to venture into the city. And you'd be a hazard anyway.

This is so surreal. It doesn't feel like I'm watching my own city on the news right now.

On a lighter note, happy birthday to my fellow survivor and Christchurch NTer dollabill87. Glad you're safe boy, much love.

Damn 
eek.gif
, glad you're safe though.

Aww snap sorry to see this man. Is there any aid we can send or any programs up we can contribute too. If so please list some . TO THE IDIOT ABOVE ME WHO POSTED NY>NZ . Reevaluate your life 10 years ago the world poured aid to your city in droves. Show some classs idiot

Aww snap sorry to see this man. Is there any aid we can send or any programs up we can contribute too. If so please list some . TO THE IDIOT ABOVE ME WHO POSTED NY>NZ . Reevaluate your life 10 years ago the world poured aid to your city in droves. Show some classs idiot

I been following all day. Hope you and your fam is alright

If I was you though, id get my looting on

i've been to Christchurch.....even have a pic standing next to the cathedral 

I was like 
eek.gif
when i saw how it looks now.

I been following all day. Hope you and your fam is alright

If I was you though, id get my looting on

i've been to Christchurch.....even have a pic standing next to the cathedral 

I was like 
eek.gif
when i saw how it looks now.

Thanks guys, we've accepted international help from Australia and possibly the states. Apparently Japan are pros at rescue and retrieval so from there too. I hate to think how much damage this has actually done.

Thanks guys, we've accepted international help from Australia and possibly the states. Apparently Japan are pros at rescue and retrieval so from there too. I hate to think how much damage this has actually done.

Back
Top Bottom