Super Bowl XLII: YOU GOTTA bELIeve!!!!!!!! Greatest Super Bowl in History?!?!?

You guys need to learn a little about the "spread" in betting. It is a numerical value assigned to how much of a perceived difference there is in thequality of 2 teams. It answers to the most truthful measure - money. The fact that XLII was spread at 12-13 while other superbowls have been spread at 15, 21,etc, means those other older superbowls were bigger upsets.

Now, the spread has nothing to do with how exciting a game is, or how ridiculous a drive is, or how goober the quarterback seemed to be before winning, but itdoes speak to the magnitude of the underdog.

[h1]'Supernatural' catch by Tyree a play for the ages[/h1]

By Greg Garber
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 3, 2008
nfl_g_manning_tyree_580.jpg

Getty Images

After scrambling to his right, Eli Manning (left) unleashes a pass to David Tyree, who leaps high to make a 32-yard circus catch to keep the Giants' winning drive alive with 59 seconds left.
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- David Tyree, beaming and sweating in equal measure, was stillsettling into his seat at postgame Podium No. 5 under University of Phoenix Stadium when the first question came his way.
"The catch?" the New York Giants' wide receiver asked, innocently.

The Catch isn't an officially trademarked phrase, but anyone who follows football knows that Joe Montana's touchdown throw to Dwight Clark in the1981 NFC Championship Game was the signature play that launched a San Francisco 49ersdynasty.

[h4]David Tyree[/h4]
4669.jpg

Wide Receiver
New York Giants

[table] 2007 Season Stats [tr][td]Rec[/td] [td]Yds[/td] [td]TD[/td] [td]Avg[/td] [td]Long[/td] [td]YAC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]8.8[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]27[/td] [/tr][/table]

On Sunday in Super Bowl XLI, the Giants stunned the New England Patriots, 17-14. The pivotalplay was a not-to-be-believed 32-yard pass from Eli Manning to Tyree that kept thewinning drive alive with 59 seconds remaining.

Call it The Catch II.

"I thought it was falling out," said Patriots' safety RodneyHarrison, who did his best to dislodge the ball. "It was a wacky, crazy play."

Here's how it went down:

The Giants were trailing 14-10 after New England quarterback Tom Brady, seeminglyinevitably, drove his team 80 yards in 12 plays for the go-ahead touchdown. Order, in the football universe, had been restored.

What were the odds of Manning, much maligned over four seasons with the Giants, one-upping the two-time Super Bowl MVP?

Manning moved the Giants down the field, picking up two first downs on passes to AmaniToomer and a short run by Brandon Jacobs. But after scrambling for 5 yards andthen throwing an incomplete pass, Manning faced a third-and-5 at the Giants' 44-yard-line.

"The play call is Phantom," explained Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. "He [Tyree] runs a post and turns it inside."

The problem was, Tyree never got to run his planned route because Manning was under siege. Never the most mobile quarterback, Manning ducked and spun whenthe pocket collapsed. Patriots linebacker Adalius Thomas actually had a handful of hisjersey, but Manning escaped to his right..

"Just trying to avoid the sack," Manning explained. "I felt people grabbing me. You try to get small sometimes and keep the play alive.

"The ball hung up there forever."

Said Tyree: "When you see the guy in trouble, you have to break off your route. I saw he was under duress, and I just pulled up and cut itshort."

Harrison reacted to Tyree's move back toward the ball and arrived a split-second after Manning's pass. He clawed and swiped at the ball.

"We've got him sacked," Harrison said. "He throws a Hail Mary. I thought it was incomplete."

"I mean, that ball was challenged," said Giants coach Tom Coughlin. "I mean, challenged."

Tyree actually pinned it on his helmet with his right hand and pulled it in before he hit the ground.

"You go up to the highest point," Tyree said.

What's his vertical leap?
"Maybe 30 inches," Tyree shrugged. "I probably have the worst vertical leap on the team."
"That play," said defensive end Michael Strahan, "took a few yearsoff my life."

Giants wide receiver Steve Smith was on the field when it happened.

"That was the biggest play of the game," Smith said. "Man, that was a catch. I was talking smack to Rodney."

Three plays later, on third-and-11 at the Patriots' 25-yard-line, Manning hit Smith with a 12-yard pass for a first down. Then Manning reached Plaxico Burress with the winning score, a 13-yard touchdown pass with 35 seconds left. LikeBrady, Manning took his team down the field in 12 plays, except his drive was three yards longer.

For Tyree, it was a difficult scenario to imagine. He caught three passes for 43 yards, including the Giants' other touchdown, a 5-yarder early in thefourth quarter.

Tyree, a fifth-year player out of Syracuse, missed the regular-season opener with a fractured wrist and played predominantly on special teams. He finishedthe regular season with four catches (for zero touchdowns) and added a single catch in the three previous playoff games. He also lost his mother during theseason.

"It's been a difficult season," Tyree said. "Most people wouldn't understand.

"My opportunities are too far and few to let that one go. It was supernatural, you know? Some things just don't make sense, and that catch is agood example."
"Maybe 30 inches," Tyree shrugged. "I probably have the worst vertical leap on the team."

laugh.gif

"My opportunities are too far and few to let that one go. It was supernatural, you know? Some things just don't make sense, and that catch is a good example."
pimp.gif

He also lost his mother during the season.
makes it a even greater story.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Joe Namath's win was more historical than this upset....HOW!? He helped win his team the Super Bowl...was his team undefeated? Was his team up against a juggernaut like the Pats!?
grin.gif
Uh, Yea, they were up against the Colts who were 13 - 1 and they were the juggernaut of the NFL back then and the Jets were a lowly AFL team who werent expected t odo much if anything. and let me help u out, the AFL were thought to be a 2nd rate conference especially since the NFL squads had dominated them in the previous 2 p superbowls. historically, that Jets win gave credence to the AFL.
Like I said earlier, Im just trying to help people learn their history when they are misinformed, and from your response of the Jets not playing a juggernaut shows me you are lacking just a tadbit on your NFL history.

by the way, the Colts were favored by 3 TDS .
laugh.gif

The Bills went to 4 straight Superbowls (I guess thats something to
laugh.gif
at
ohwell.gif
) a nd that 1st appearance , they were surely the best team in the NFL up until the superbowl? andthat loss was by a missed chippy fg scott norwook fg and undoubtedly not gettign over the hump there helped contributed to them not winning anymore of the ones they were in.

So you think comparing a brand of football almost 40 years ago competes with the style of football of today with all of the free agency andeverything...
laugh.gif
..interesting.

The Bills got to the Super Bowl..yeah..big deal...did they win any of their Super Bowl appearances in the 90's? No! So please dismiss the Bills...almostdoesn't count in this world. Almost just means close but no call, or better luck next time.
laugh.gif

why are you comparing eras?
for their time period, the Colts were the Patriots of their time. whats so hard to grasp?
what the hell does 40 yrs ago have to do with anything? you are lost as to what we are judging here.

let me ask, are u saying that historically thosee Colts and Jets teams werent +#@$ because they played back in the day as opposed to modern day football?

If so, I dont need to discuss superbowls or football history with you any further.

props to the Giants rookie receivers this game and also ever since Shockey went down....

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

why are you comparing eras?
for their time period, the Colts were the Patriots of their time. whats so hard to grasp?
what the hell does 40 yrs ago have to do with anything? you are lost as to what we are judging here.

let me ask, are u saying that historically thosee Colts and Jets teams werent +#@$ because they played back in the day as opposed to modern day football?

If so, I dont need to discuss superbowls or football history with you any further.

40 years ago has alot to do with things here. The rules were alot different back in those days, free agency wasn't an issue back then, there were alsoless penalties and over the many years the NFL has evolved the athletes are better trained and better prepared because the NFL is a HUGE business now. Case inpoint, the league IMO is more competitive by nature than it was 40 years ago during the launching of the modern Super Bowl era. (and that's NOT to takeanything away from the old school teams either from the 60's 70's, 80's or even 90's for that matter).

~Don't jump the gun thinking I'm implying the Jets and Colts of that era were garbage. Obviously they weren't. But their time frame of football isalot different as I already mentioned. As great as some of those teams were, it would be interesting to see how well either of those teams would fare intoday's standards of football againts the top teams of this era. That's all I was saying...

Am I the only one who thinks it wasn't THAT good of a game, overall? I mean, yeah, the last 4-5 minutes of the game were amazing, but the first 3 ½quarters were a total snoozefest IMO. If the Giants were stopped on that last drive, it would qualify as one of the most boring Super Bowls ever.

Disappointed at the outcome, but I didn't like either team, so oh well.

I'm more disappointed at the fact that both teams played the absolute sorriest excuse for high level football the first 3 1/2 quarters. It sucked. I guessthat's what happens to the Pats in the SB when they aren't cheating.

I'm not sure how people are calling the win shocking. I'm not shocked. The Giants got hot at the right time (like the Steelers in 2005) and the Patswere stagnant at the end.

man...our defense came to PLAY...I was frustrated with our offense and Eli was pissin me off for most of da game, but he showed me alot when he didnt allowhimself to be sacked on dat ridiculous play...That play has to be one of da top 5 plays in Superbowl history (IMO it is THE best)...
I knew Maroney wouldnt run on us effectively.
I wish our D-line could've got the MVP to share...they got crazy on da Pats O-line

Congrats to the Giants...cant wait until da parade
pimp.gif

Congrats to the Giants and the city of NY!!

I remember the parade and the game in '91...It was my first time in the US that time...

great game, stayed up till 5am watching in Amsterdam

Back
Top Bottom