Supporting a University's Athletics That You Have No Connection To? *Corrected*

what do you all think of people supporting the athletics of a University that they did not attend or have no connection to at all?

is it alright or is it stupid?

i find that if you have no connection to the school than it seems kind of stupid, yet it's hard because many Universities have evolved into almostthe same realm as professional teams and gather followings of the most random people.

*edited*
I FEEL stupid following a college team that i have no connection to based on the fact that most of what i see going on and all the pageantry and tradition thati love is being carried out by students and alumni.
i guess maybe i just feel like i'm missing something.
i'm sorry for what i initially wrote, that's not really my opinion.

do u no some of the biggest boosters for some schools didn't attend that school?

most people are fine with it, but personally, I don't want a bunch of uncouth heathens supporting the institution I'm so proud of. It makes sense insome cases though ie a big state school because it's a public institution representative of the state so it would make sense for a citizen to take pride inthat.

Originally Posted by cashbox sunrise

what do you all think of people supporting the athletics of a University that they did not attend or have no connection to at all?

is it alright or is it stupid?

i find that if you have no connection to the school than it seems kind of stupid, yet it's hard because many Universities have evolved into almost the same realm as professional teams and gather followings of the most random people.
indifferent.gif

So what if you never go to college? Can't have a favorite college team?

What if you're an army brat and move every year?

Seriously, I know this sounded like a good idea when you were typing it up, something to boost your e-fame since you've just recently joined the board...but no. Not this topic again, and no there's nothing wrong.

/thread

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

Does "having a connection to" mean that the school is in the same conference as your school? I root for all of the Pac 10.
Why? It helps your SOS for your favorite team, sure... but beyond that, screw them. Conference pride is for ham and eggers. I don't want myclosest rivals having more success than my team, that's stupid.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Does "having a connection to" mean that the school is in the same conference as your school? I root for all of the Pac 10.
Why? It helps your SOS for your favorite team, sure... but beyond that, screw them. Conference pride is for ham and eggers. I don't want my closest rivals having more success than my team, that's stupid.
I would say conference pride, but other factors too. I liked SC as a kid, my dream college was Stanford (but didn't apply), I was accepted atUCLA, Oregon got some sick unis, I got some friends that attend UW, and I attend Cal. Wazzu, Oregon State, ASU, and Zona, I'm apathetic. But if its Zonavs. New Mexico or Oregon State vs. Utah, I figure it would help the conference to win, so I root for them.

So what if a kid goes to a school...

then just cause he goes there....he becomes a huge fan...

with no sense of the history?

Is he more of a 'fan' or is allowed to be just cause he went there...

as opposed to someone who's been a fan forever?

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I guess you have to define what a "fan" is then. If you have two people who follow a teamexactly the same amount, and then one goes to the school and attends all the games and one doesn't... wouldn't you argue that the person who went thatextra step is a bigger fan?

Doesn't mean going to the school alone makes you a good fan, or vice versa... but doesn't it play a part to have a real connection outside of justpicking a name out of a hat?

Why does this question always get asked of college teams but never of pro teams? It doesn't matter if you went to the school or not, if you like the teamyou like the team, plain and simple. It's mostly what teams you were exposed to as a child that forms your likes and dislikes.

Originally Posted by InTheBean

^ Is that a New Era? Flat brim?
Yep.

I just had it sitting ******ed on my head.
wouldn't you argue that the person who went that extra step is a bigger fan?
Ehhhh....

IDK if I would call that an extra step of being a fan of a team since a lot of kids go to schools for academic reasons....

But whatever, we've had this discussion before...
laugh.gif

Why? It helps your SOS for your favorite team, sure... but beyond that, screw them. Conference pride is for ham and eggers. I don't want my closest rivals having more success than my team, that's stupid.
Who said anything about having more success than your own team? I think we've had this discussion before. I'm a Texas fan and I likewhen Big 12 teams do well outside of conference play. that doesn't mean I want them to do better than the Horns tho
laugh.gif

Why does this question always get asked of college teams but never of pro teams? It doesn't matter if you went to the school or not, if you like the team you like the team, plain and simple. It's mostly what teams you were exposed to as a child that forms your likes and dislikes.

It get's asked. At least here it does. I've seen and posted in several threads that ask "Can you still be a real fan if you aren't from thesame city as your favorite Pro team"

I would say conference pride, but other factors too. I liked SC as a kid, my dream college was Stanford (but didn't apply), I was accepted at UCLA, Oregon got some sick unis, I got some friends that attend UW, and I attend Cal. Wazzu, Oregon State, ASU, and Zona, I'm apathetic. But if its Zona vs. New Mexico or Oregon State vs. Utah, I figure it would help the conference to win, so I root for them.

oh well if they have nice jerseys the OBVIOUSLY you should cheer for them.
laugh.gif

in fact all of that 'reasoning' is nonsense.

you cheer for ucla because youwere accepted but didnt attend?
roll.gif

Craftsy21:
allen3xis:

I guess you have to define what a "fan" is then. If you have two people who follow a team exactly the same amount, and then one goes to the school and attends all the games and one doesn't... wouldn't you argue that the person who went that extra step is a bigger fan?

Doesn't mean going to the school alone makes you a good fan, or vice versa... but doesn't it play a part to have a real connection outside of just picking a name out of a hat?
But that's the thing; in allen3xis's scenario, we're not talking about some kid who justpicked a name off of a hat. He mentioned something much bigger: history.

If a kid grows up as a fan of one school, knows the history, suffered through the defeats, rejoiced in the successes, and then after HS he goes to a differentschool, he's supposed to just ditch the team he has been a fan of now? Like going to his university's games automatically makes him a fan of that team?

I disagree. Obviously, he would have jerseys and tee shirts and hats and memories of the team he grew up with. My wife has a cousin that's always been ahuge Duke fan; has his room painted in Duke colors and has the walls painted like his room is Cameron Indoor Stadium. He's a senior, and he's thinkingabout going to UK next year. If he does, do I expect him to convert from the dark side overt to being a UK fan? Not a chance in hell.
laugh.gif

And yes, he would definitely go to UK games, because his dad is a huge UK fan. Heck, he goes to UK games now with his dad.

But he's a Duke fan.

Unfortunate, I know.
tired.gif

G'on and hit that ADD REPLY button, dre.
roll.gif
laugh.gif
I know you want to.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

again?
roll.gif

Damn what's it been like two weeks since the last one. How long until this become a USC vs. the World thread

But that's the thing; in allen3xis's scenario, we're not talking about some kid who just picked a name off of a hat. He mentioned something much bigger: history.

If a kid grows up as a fan of one school, knows the history, suffered through the defeats, rejoiced in the successes, and then after HS he goes to a different school, he's supposed to just ditch the team he has been a fan of now? Like going to his university's games automatically makes him a fan of that team?

But where did that initial decision to become a fan of that school come from? That's the randomness i'm talking about. If your parents or somebodyclose to you gave you that relationship, then that makes sense. But i think just deciding you're going to follow some school from across the nation seemsreally random. If i'm to attach my pride to something, shouldn't it have some sort of fundamental meaning to me?

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

I would say conference pride, but other factors too. I liked SC as a kid, my dream college was Stanford (but didn't apply), I was accepted at UCLA, Oregon got some sick unis, I got some friends that attend UW, and I attend Cal. Wazzu, Oregon State, ASU, and Zona, I'm apathetic. But if its Zona vs. New Mexico or Oregon State vs. Utah, I figure it would help the conference to win, so I root for them.

oh well if they have nice jerseys the OBVIOUSLY you should cheer for them.
laugh.gif

in fact all of that 'reasoning' is nonsense.

you cheer for ucla because youwere accepted but didnt attend?
roll.gif
Yeah. I like to think of it as returning the favor. In terms of Oregon, I guess better unis goes under "more swag." Same reason whydudes like TI, I assume (NH).

Back
Top Bottom