Switching to straight razors? Anyone else made/making that transition?

So I am finally fed up with the price on pre-packaged disposables. Bought a Magic brand straight razor and shaved for the first time with it. I must say it feels some much better than any other razor I have used.Little to no irritation. So my question is who else has made the switch? How long have you been using a straight? Tips & tricks? Share with everyone.  

I know some of you have ADD so here is a pic to keep you entertained

So I am finally fed up with the price on pre-packaged disposables. Bought a Magic brand straight razor and shaved for the first time with it. I must say it feels some much better than any other razor I have used.Little to no irritation. So my question is who else has made the switch? How long have you been using a straight? Tips & tricks? Share with everyone.  

I know some of you have ADD so here is a pic to keep you entertained

Disregard.
laugh.gif

such a closer shave with a single razor, feels amazing, don't shave with it, but went to a Army style barber shop in San Diego, and they cleaned up my neck with it, greatest feeling, felt amazing after.

such a closer shave with a single razor, feels amazing, don't shave with it, but went to a Army style barber shop in San Diego, and they cleaned up my neck with it, greatest feeling, felt amazing after.

I use a double edge safety razor. The straight razor is cool, but I prefer the safety razor for my daily use. Using higher quality products is the key though, that green crap from the canisters are awful.

I use Proraso pre-shave cream, then I was using Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream, but I recently switched to Proraso's shaving cream tro try something new and they're both great. And a decent badger hair brush and bowl to properly apply it.

The upfront cost was more, the razor cost around 30, a 100 pack of blades cost 10 dollars, the cream cost about 6 and the preshave only cost 5 or so. But I haven't had to replace anything in over a year and a half. I just ran out of the shaving cream and I was probably more liberal than I needed to be. But I don't have to buy crappy cartridge razors and the higher quality stuff is a better shave as well as less expensive.

I use a double edge safety razor. The straight razor is cool, but I prefer the safety razor for my daily use. Using higher quality products is the key though, that green crap from the canisters are awful.

I use Proraso pre-shave cream, then I was using Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream, but I recently switched to Proraso's shaving cream tro try something new and they're both great. And a decent badger hair brush and bowl to properly apply it.

The upfront cost was more, the razor cost around 30, a 100 pack of blades cost 10 dollars, the cream cost about 6 and the preshave only cost 5 or so. But I haven't had to replace anything in over a year and a half. I just ran out of the shaving cream and I was probably more liberal than I needed to be. But I don't have to buy crappy cartridge razors and the higher quality stuff is a better shave as well as less expensive.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

So I should just dump Gillette then?

Originally Posted by Big J 33

So I should just dump Gillette then?

I mean it's all personal preference, but switching to old school shaving is a cheaper alternative in the long run and in my opinion the shave is superior.

Not to mention it helped take what I found to be a chore and a pain, and made it into a more relaxing part of my routine. You can look around and find some good deals on antique razors, or you can just buy new... mine was only 30 on Amazon but I haven't spent any money on shaving products in over a year and a year. The initial cost is higher, but considering how much cartridge razors cost it isn't that bad... if you have some extra money to spend and not happy with Gillette then give it a try.

I mean it's all personal preference, but switching to old school shaving is a cheaper alternative in the long run and in my opinion the shave is superior.

Not to mention it helped take what I found to be a chore and a pain, and made it into a more relaxing part of my routine. You can look around and find some good deals on antique razors, or you can just buy new... mine was only 30 on Amazon but I haven't spent any money on shaving products in over a year and a year. The initial cost is higher, but considering how much cartridge razors cost it isn't that bad... if you have some extra money to spend and not happy with Gillette then give it a try.

I've been using a straight razor for about 3 years now and it's been great. Get a good brush and shaving soap. It helps a lot with moisturizing your face and softening you're facial hair.
A really good brand is http://www.theartofshaving.com/ They've got some money stuff.

I shave every other day, and sharpen the razor on a strop every time i shave. The longer you wait between shaves, the more irritation you'll get when shaving. And I always shave after a shower.

Back
Top Bottom