T.O. calls out Goodell for Vick suspension and says other players need to speak up

dacomeup

Supporter
Owens weighs in on Vick's return
Comment Email Print Share
By Tim Graham
ESPN.com
Archive

PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills receiver Terrell Owens is disappointed in the way NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is considering Michael Vick's reinstatement now that the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback has served a 23-month prison sentence for his role in an illegal dogfighting ring.

"
A lot of the guys around the league need to speak up. I think the players' union needs to step in because the guy's already suffered so much, and to add a four-game suspension onto a two-year prison sentence, I mean, that's ridiculous.
"
-- Terrell Owens
Owens called the possibility of an additional Vick suspension to start the season, possibly for four games, "ridiculous" while meeting with reporters after Sunday morning's training camp session at St. John Fisher College.

"The Michael Vick situation, I think, is unfortunate," Owens said. "I think the way the commissioner is handling it is unfair to Michael Vick. I think he's done the time for what he's done. I don't think it's really fair for him to be suspended four more games. It's almost like kicking a dead horse in the ground.

"A lot of the guys around the league need to speak up. I think the players' union needs to step in because the guy's already suffered so much, and to add a four-game suspension onto a two-year prison sentence, I mean, that's ridiculous."

League sources told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio and Chris Mortensen on Thursday that Goodell is expected to announce details of Vick's conditional reinstatement, allowing the three-time Pro Bowler to sign with an NFL team.

Owens wouldn't speculate whether Vick will be signed by another NFL team, but claimed Vick deserved the opportunity.

"Why shouldn't he?" Owens said. "There's a number of guys around the league that have done far more worse things than that and gotten a second chance. So I don't see why he shouldn't."

Not speaking in terms of the Bills, Owens said he wouldn't mind having Vick as a teammate.

"Again, why not?" Owens said. "Michael Vick is a guy that really hasn't had any character issues besides [what] he got a prison sentence for, so why not."

Bills safety George Wilson, the team's NFLPA representative, agreed with Owens.

"How do you bring a man out of suspension and then suspend him again? I mean, he's paid his debt," Wilson said. "I think you just continue to hold him down by bringing him back and then suspend him."

Wilson said he intends to discuss Vick's status with Owens and other teammates to determine whether to bring the Bills players' position to the union.

"We'll see where it goes, but I think Terrell is right in stating his position," Wilson said. "This is an instance where perhaps our players association needs to try to get involved."

The union's position has been that it will support Vick on a personal level until Goodell decides how to proceed. NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith met with Vick this past week, and intends to discuss the player's status with Goodell.

Tim Graham covers the AFC East for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

pimp.gif
I hope that other players follow suit. This is not just about MV7 for me it's something that needs to be done.

I AGREE 100%.....

Still many will try & justify goodells position....

Bottom line, hes being made an EXAMPLE...

who has goodell treated differently? i'm just asking cause i don't know the entire list of people he's suspended or not suspended, but who has hetreated with preferential treatment?

4 games really isn't that bad. You guys like other jobs wouldn't give you some kind of suspension period or something. People just wanna see Vick play,that's it and in turn all they see is their view
tired.gif
. Like really? Youguys can't wait until week 5?

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Who cares what T.O has to say?... Not me.
Yet you took the time out of YOUR day to read the subject header and reply to this topic.
ohwell.gif

I agree with TO

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Yet you took the time out of YOUR day to read the subject header and reply to this topic.
ohwell.gif

I agree with TO
This.

Because reading one sentence and typing a one sentence response is hard work.

Note my interest is heavily vested in this topic for I have now constructed three sentences.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

ohwell.gif

I agree with TO

roll.gif

I agree as well, but I was thinking Goodell wasn't even going to let Vick see the field so
I was personally relieved to see it was ONLY a 4 game suspension.

He was alreasy suspended. How you gonna suspend him again? T.O. Is correct. I hope other prominent players speak up.

Glad he spoke up and I hope others do as well. he needs the practice to get in playing shape and the team environment will be good

goodell is being extremely unfair about this...tank johnson had enough ammo for a small army and he got four games. matt jones got caught with coke...twice,and got 4 games. this man has done two years in prison let him be.

look at it this way:

they suspend him 4 games to satisfy the animal rights people and everyone else who feels he deserves some kind of suspension .

vick most likely wont be ready to play right away anyway so it gives him that much more time to learn a system and adapt to whatever role he's gonna play.

to me it works for everyone. animal rights groups are never gonna leave vick alone unless he donates a ton of money to their groups. i guarantee they'll beprotesting at every game for whoever he signs with .

i agree w/ t.o the man paid his debt leave him be ........

Is it really only 4 games? that's ******ed, what's the reasoning behind that? The man (over)paid his dues, let him apply for jobs. I know dudes willcome with the argument that regular folk who get out of prison don't always get their job back, but he's in the nfl, he's not regular folk, dealwith it, and when they get out atleast they have the ability to still apply for other jobs, there's not a governing body out here that can put blocks onthat.

Originally Posted by bangtcg

Vick did lie to Goodell.
and failed a drug test...

but that's neither here nor there....

where was the outcry for Vick when the initial "indefinite" suspension was put in place before he went to prison? It's only unfair now thathe's a free man?
grin.gif

4 games is fair, and just because he served time in jail doesn't mean that he should be exempted from a suspension from the league. Jamal Lewis had asuspension etc....

Glad he spoke up? About what?
laugh.gif
This is ridiculous don't get things skewed to form a bias opinion. 4 game is perfectly legit. I cannot for the life ofme understand how that is unfair and as to why TO and others feel that the issue needs to be looked at.

No issue here. He's a felon. What other felons you know can get back into society and return to a high profile job or return to prominence just like that.Ya'll are kidding huh?

I'm all for Vick too...ALL for his return and another chance, but glad TO spoke up?
laugh.gif
Not buying it.

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Is it really only 4 games? that's ******ed, what's the reasoning behind that? The man (over)paid his dues, let him apply for jobs. I know dudes will come with the argument that regular folk who get out of prison don't always get their job back, but he's in the nfl, he's not regular folk, deal with it, and when they get out atleast they have the ability to still apply for other jobs, there's not a governing body out here that can put blocks on that.
And he's more in the spotlight then regular people... And deal with it?
laugh.gif
Ummm... it seems like the people who are complaining have to deal with it.Considering they're the one complaining, what do the people who agree have to deal with?
laugh.gif
And if Vick wanted to he can go to other football leagues if he wanted, so?...Nice try but womp womp. It's 4 games, mountains out of mole hills. It's stupid that the people who are complaining isn't Vick. Pretty sure he'sjust happy to be back, why can't you guys?...

Player's Union agreed to all this... They gave Goodell the OK on the image clean-up policy, and now they wanna gripe and complain about it?

Goodell ain't treating Michael Vick any different than Adam Jones, Chris Henry, Donte Stallworth, etc... You paid your dues to the government, not the NFL.

Again, what other profession are you able to walk out of a two-year prison stint and jump right back into your old job? You can't. It doesn't happen.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Is it really only 4 games? that's ******ed, what's the reasoning behind that? The man (over)paid his dues, let him apply for jobs. I know dudes will come with the argument that regular folk who get out of prison don't always get their job back, but he's in the nfl, he's not regular folk, deal with it, and when they get out atleast they have the ability to still apply for other jobs, there's not a governing body out here that can put blocks on that.
And he's more in the spotlight then regular people... And deal with it?
laugh.gif
Ummm... it seems like the people who are complaining have to deal with it. Considering they're the one complaining, what do the people who agree have to deal with?
laugh.gif
And if Vick wanted to he can go to other football leagues if he wanted, so?... Nice try but womp womp. It's 4 games, mountains out of mole hills. It's stupid that the people who are complaining isn't Vick. Pretty sure he's just happy to be back, why can't you guys?...
What? i'm talking about the people that keep comparing nfl players lives to regular ol' working joes life, thinking they should be subjectto the same rules, when we all know their really not. And "womp womp" is used in reference to jokes, i wasn't making a joke.

vick lied to goodel. the commish is on point . 4 games is nothing. i thought he was going to suspend him for the year to be honest

Back
Top Bottom