T.O. calls out Goodell for Vick suspension and says other players need to speak up

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Player's Union agreed to all this... They gave Goodell the OK on the image clean-up policy, and now they wanna gripe and complain about it?

Goodell ain't treating Michael Vick any different than Adam Jones, Chris Henry, Donte Stallworth, etc... You paid your dues to the government, not the NFL.

Again, what other profession are you able to walk out of a two-year prison stint and jump right back into your old job? You can't. It doesn't happen.
But Vick isn't a regular person!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

After his first INT, there will probably be people here on NT complaining that the CB's are being unfair towards Vick.

But Vick isn't a regular person!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Don't even go there. Besides, he's still getting off easy. 4 games? Shooot. He's about to get paid 7 figures. That just don'thappen for felons returning to society. He's still very fortunate.

Why do people continue to take a players initials and add their number to the end, and start using that as a nickname? MV7? Really? Just stop it.

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Is it really only 4 games? that's ******ed, what's the reasoning behind that? The man (over)paid his dues, let him apply for jobs. I know dudes will come with the argument that regular folk who get out of prison don't always get their job back, but he's in the nfl, he's not regular folk, deal with it, and when they get out atleast they have the ability to still apply for other jobs, there's not a governing body out here that can put blocks on that.
And he's more in the spotlight then regular people... And deal with it?
laugh.gif
Ummm... it seems like the people who are complaining have to deal with it. Considering they're the one complaining, what do the people who agree have to deal with?
laugh.gif
And if Vick wanted to he can go to other football leagues if he wanted, so?... Nice try but womp womp. It's 4 games, mountains out of mole hills. It's stupid that the people who are complaining isn't Vick. Pretty sure he's just happy to be back, why can't you guys?...
What? i'm talking about the people that keep comparing nfl players lives to regular ol' working joes life, thinking they should be subject to the same rules, when we all know their really not. And "womp womp" is used in reference to jokes, i wasn't making a joke.
What? That's why I'm talking about... Your telling people to deal with it when they have nothing to deal with. It's the peoplecomplaining about the suspension who have to deal with it... And if anything, them being in the spotlight gives them strickter rules. Why would you honestlybelieve that they should be subjected to more lient rules? Really? And womp, womp can used when someone says something stupid.

Nowitness41Dirk wrote:
Player's Union agreed to all this... They gave Goodell the OK on the image clean-up policy, and now they wanna gripe and complain about it?

Goodell ain't treating Michael Vick any different than Adam Jones, Chris Henry, Donte Stallworth, etc... You paid your dues to the government, not the NFL.

Again, what other profession are you able to walk out of a two-year prison stint and jump right back into your old job? You can't. It doesn't happen.

I hate this argument, it's not the same as every other , we like pretending professional athletes are just like us but it's just not true.The steaks are different for a professional athlete then it is for you or me in an everyday profession.

I agree with TO, the suspensions are excessive and pointles just Godell beating his chest, it's sound and fury signifying nothing.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Nowitness41Dirk wrote:

I hate this argument, it's not the same as every other , we like pretending professional athletes are just like us but it's just not true. The steaks are different for a professional athlete then it is for you or me in an everyday profession.

I agree with TO, the suspensions are excessive and pointles just Godell beating his chest, it's sound and fury signifying nothing.
ohwell.gif

I NEVER AGREE with OKB
laugh.gif
but i agree with his 1st part its not the samething. not even close

^ You guys are right it's not the same. But do you understand he's still getting off easy? There's still seperation there from us "normalpeople."

You can't justify a pro athlete being "normal," but you sure as hell can seperate the degree to which fairness gives way to social and popularstanding. 4 game suspension for a felon is legit. He's still going to get 7 figures.

Is it really only 4 games? that's ******ed, what's the reasoning behind that? The man (over)paid his dues, let him apply for jobs. I know dudes will come with the argument that regular folk who get out of prison don't always get their job back, but he's in the nfl, he's not regular folk, deal with it, and when they get out atleast they have the ability to still apply for other jobs, there's not a governing body out here that can put blocks on that.

Ok, if you say he's not regular already by being in the NFL, then you concede the NFL isn't a "regular" job. If it isn't a regular job,they can do whatever the hell they want, right?

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

who has goodell treated differently? i'm just asking cause i don't know the entire list of people he's suspended or not suspended, but who has he treated with preferential treatment?
Odell Thurman.

Thurman takes a banned substance and he's suspended indefinitely. I haven't kept up with it but last I checked it was like 2 years or something.
Shawn Merriman takes steroids and he gets a 4 game suspension.

I'd say that's pretty different.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

who has goodell treated differently? i'm just asking cause i don't know the entire list of people he's suspended or not suspended, but who has he treated with preferential treatment?
Odell Thurman.

Thurman takes a banned substance and he's suspended indefinitely. I haven't kept up with it but last I checked it was like 2 years or something.

[h3]Drug and alcohol problems[/h3]
Odell Thurman was suspended by the National Football League for the first four games of the 2006 regular season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. According to sources, Thurman did not return to Cincinnati in time and failed to take the test. [sup][1][/sup]

Gerard said there were two other Bengals players in the car with Thurman, but he did not name them. The car belonged to "another Bengal," not Thurman, Gerard said. [sup][2][/sup]

On September 27, 2006, the NFL extended Thurman's suspension for the remainder of the season as a result of the arrest. [sup][3][/sup] Thurman's locker was emptied by the Bengals organization. Coach Marvin Lewis said he didn't want to see Odell Thurman anywhere near the stadium, and he then deactivated Chris Henry for the next game for being part of the incident. Lewis later stated that he didn't expect Thurman to play for the Bengals in 2007.[sup][citation needed][/sup]

On February 21, 2007, Thurman pleaded no contest to the driving drunk charge and said he was undergoing treatment for alcohol abuse.[sup][4][/sup]

On May 15, 2007, Bengals' head coach Marvin Lewis told ESPN that Thurman would have the chance to return to the team, if reinstated by the NFL. Thurman was eligible for reinstatement on July 11, 2007. It was suspected that the organization would cut Thurman from the roster, but Lewis said otherwise. [sup][5][/sup]

On June 5, however, ESPN reported that he was wanted for assault in Georgia, for alleged kicking and hitting two men. Thurman and his brother were sought for questioning in connection with this assault. The sherriff involved in the case said that the incident was not quickly reported and that a magistrate would choose whether or not to continue with the charges on June 8, 2007. Conflicting reports from witnesses at the party where the assault allegedly occurred however may make prosecution of this case difficult. [sup][6][/sup]

On June 8, 2007, papers seeking to dismiss the charges stated above were filed, and charges against the linebacker were summarily dropped. Chrissy Pitts, deputy clerk of Magistrate Court in Jasper County, said "It was settled, we aren't aware of any terms that were involved in the settlement. That was between the attorneys and the parties." [sup][7][/sup]

On July 25, 2007, Thurman's request for re-instatement into the NFL was denied by commissioner Roger Goodell, so he was not able to play in 2007[sup][8][/sup]. Thurman is not currently listed on the Bengals' active roster, and another Bengals player, fellow linebacker Corey Mays, currently wears his uniform number.

On July 12, 2008, Thurman was indicted by a grand jury for breaking another man's jaw at a Waterpark in Sandusky, Ohio during the previous month, though he was not arrested on the scene.[sup][9][/sup] On March 24, 2009, prosecutors dismissed the assault case against Thurman without prejudice citing insufficient evidence.[sup][10][/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odell_Thurman#cite_note-9[/sup]

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Odell Thurman.

Do you know Odell Thurman's history?

If Goodell was being unfair on ANY of his rulings, the PU would be all over him. Trust that.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Ok, if you say he's not regular already by being in the NFL, then you concede the NFL isn't a "regular" job. If it isn't a regular job, they can do whatever the hell they want, right?
That's what I'm saying. No it's not a regular job, there's more responsibilities being in that kind of light, why do people thinkthey have more lenient rules? What kind of backwards thinking is that? It's the damn opposite
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Nowitness41Dirk wrote:

I hate this argument, it's not the same as every other , we like pretending professional athletes are just like us but it's just not true. The steaks are different for a professional athlete then it is for you or me in an everyday profession.

ohwell.gif

I NEVER AGREE with OKB
laugh.gif
but i agree with his 1st part its not the same thing. not even close
You can't use this argument - because you'll reverse this line of thinking anytime it's appropriate, too. You mean to tell me youdon't think of the NFL as a business, FIRST and foremost? Of course you do. That makes it just like any other business - it has an image, and in fact,it's image is probably more important than most other businesses.

I've noticed mike is turning into a Vick apologist - he's called me out about 3 times now for being harsh towards this situation. It's clear youhave some sort of affinity towards him, which is fine, but let's not act like you are being unbiased here when you say things.

When people say the NFL is a league full of convicts/criminals/thugs - what can the NFL really say anymore?

Meh... If you choose to separate yourself from celebrities and athletes and honestly believe they warrant and/or deserve special treatment, I don't knowwhat to tell you...

I disagree, and I'll leave it at that...

goddell is such a douche... i cannot stand him... suspending him 4 games makes NO SENSE.... let the man play and get his life back.. jeeez

I've noticed mike is turning into a Vick apologist - he's called me out about 3 times now for being harsh towards this situation. It's clear you have some sort of affinity towards him, which is fine, but let's not act like you are being unbiased here when you say things.

no you are always on your moral high horse 100% of the time and act like a person cant do no wrong

Meh... If you choose to separate yourself from celebrities and athletes and honestly believe they warrant and/or deserve special treatment, I don't know what to tell you...
i dont agree with it and it shouldnt be that way but thats how it is

we like pretending professional athletes are just like us but it's just not true.
And i don't believe they deserve special treatment nor should they be able to do whatever they want, but i'm not gonna pretend like theydon't. Making examples of a few just to please the people won't stop that. Maybe i'm too much of a bigger picture person, but i don't see thepoint going through that stupid arduous "image" process. People wanna believe so much that their just like them.

Mike.. I feel you.. But if that's how it is, and they warrant special considerations and benefits when it comes to things like this, do people really havea leg to stand on when they piss and moan over Vick being treated unfairly and made an example of by the Justice System?

You don't get it both ways.. If you aren't a normal person and deserve the benefit of the doubt in this situation, shouldn't you also be preparedto be made an example of when you do something wrong? Comes with the territory, doesn't it?

Can't have your cake and eat it too, I don't think...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Mike.. I feel you.. But if that's how it is, and they warrant special considerations and benefits when it comes to things like this, do people really have a leg to stand on when they piss and moan over Vick being treated unfairly and made an example of by the Justice System?

You don't get it both ways.. If you aren't a normal person and deserve the benefit of the doubt in this situation, shouldn't you also be prepared to be made an example of when you do something wrong? Comes with the territory, doesn't it?

Can't have your cake and eat it too, I don't think...

Makes sense. I guess you gotta be prepared for and deal with both sides of the coin.

Nowitness41Dirk wrote:
Meh... If you choose to separate yourself from celebrities and athletes and honestly believe they warrant and/or deserve special treatment, I don't know what to tell you...

I disagree, and I'll leave it at that...

No I'm not saying people "deserve" special treatment I'm saying the system that creates churns out football players, the nature of therecareers is not near or even close to the same thing.

Maybe if your career was over at 35, your lively hood could end in a flash on the job, there are only 30 available jobs that and with every passing second asyou age the type of salary you can command is literally slowly evaporating.

Not everything is black and white the same punishment that is fair in one career path is not the same in another...

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

I've noticed mike is turning into a Vick apologist - he's called me out about 3 times now for being harsh towards this situation. It's clear you have some sort of affinity towards him, which is fine, but let's not act like you are being unbiased here when you say things.
no you are always on your moral high horse 100% of the time and act like a person cant do no wrong

i dont agree with it and it shouldnt be that way but thats how it is
You're right - we really demand too much from people nowadays... i mean, ANYBODY could've gotten wrapped up in an interstate dog-fightingring.. happens to almost everyone I know.
eyes.gif

And your second statement is just laughable... you don't agree with it, so don't agree with it. Don't make excuses for people because"that's how it is".

Vick screwed up - why does he deserve this second chance he's getting? He was already born with more god-given ability and potential than any of us anddecided he was willing to throw that all away.. now we wanna give him even more? Yeah, that makes sense too.
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom