Taking A Semester Off?

If youre doing it for the right reasons and youre focused enough to come back, go for it.

It really all depends on the person/situation they're in. Some people "take a semester off" when in the back of their minds they know they're not going back, its just an easier transition to explain to themselves/others.

Others genuinely need to take time off and sort out their lives in order to get back on track without blemishing their academic career..

If youre doing it for the right reasons and youre focused enough to come back, go for it.

It really all depends on the person/situation they're in. Some people "take a semester off" when in the back of their minds they know they're not going back, its just an easier transition to explain to themselves/others.

Others genuinely need to take time off and sort out their lives in order to get back on track without blemishing their academic career..

i took the '10 fall semester off, not by choice though. applied as transfer too late.

had no job, no school, just bum status. would not do it again

i took the '10 fall semester off, not by choice though. applied as transfer too late.

had no job, no school, just bum status. would not do it again

I had to do it twice. So, I basically took a year off from school.

The downfall is, most people don't go back to school after taking a semester off. Don't get lazy and not go back after taking a semester off.

I had to do it twice. So, I basically took a year off from school.

The downfall is, most people don't go back to school after taking a semester off. Don't get lazy and not go back after taking a semester off.

I did this in the summer and now in the winter. Summer I felt like I needed a break from going through normal school and 2 adult schools, for 10 credits that I needed to graduate. I felt way too stressed to start off strong for college. Now in the winter, I took it off due to hardly any classes being available and the fact that I got my job, there was no possible way for me to attend my job training in the mornings.

I did this in the summer and now in the winter. Summer I felt like I needed a break from going through normal school and 2 adult schools, for 10 credits that I needed to graduate. I felt way too stressed to start off strong for college. Now in the winter, I took it off due to hardly any classes being available and the fact that I got my job, there was no possible way for me to attend my job training in the mornings.

I took the fall 2010 semester off... not that big of a deal. But do you, don't let anyone influence your decision. 

I took the fall 2010 semester off... not that big of a deal. But do you, don't let anyone influence your decision. 

wouldn't recommend it, but every situation is different. just make sure you go back and finish your degree.

-waystinthyme

wouldn't recommend it, but every situation is different. just make sure you go back and finish your degree.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by justballin11

don't do it. once you leave, it's hard to go back.

This. I took one off, now I'm on to my 3rd now 
tired.gif

seriously, colleges now a days is a big joke. most grads leave college fours years later in the same boat they entered, just with debt. Take a semester off, it might get you focused on your life.

seriously, colleges now a days is a big joke. most grads leave college fours years later in the same boat they entered, just with debt. Take a semester off, it might get you focused on your life.

I almost did. Things are very stressful for me right now but I dont want to be the guy who keeps saying "I'll go back next semester". Then you're 30
grin.gif

I almost did. Things are very stressful for me right now but I dont want to be the guy who keeps saying "I'll go back next semester". Then you're 30
grin.gif

Do what you have to do, OP. Would you rather waste the money you spent on tuition and do poorly because you're having a few issues? Take care of yourself and refocus. It would help you, however, to keep in contact with your academic counselors/advisers so that there is actually a game plan in place to facilitate your return.

In the grand scheme of things, taking one semester off isn't going to mean anything.

Back
Top Bottom