TEACHER SHOOTS FACULTY MEMBERS BC SHE WAS DENIED TENURE UPDATE:(3 DEAD.. 3 INJURED) HUNTSVILLE, AL

Originally Posted by HigherGround

what is up with the title son, all caps as if it is something important.
Can you stop posting? I swear 1 out of every 3 posts you make is ******ed BS. Yeah, people dying, no big deal. I guess if you died, no one would think it was important, so I guess you're right.

Well, someone in this thread says she wasn't even a good teacher, so I guess there was something wrong with her mentally. At my school, the longest tenured teacher,  my physics teacher, has taught for 40 years, is pretty good. Nothing wrong with her being denied if she wasn't even a great teacher. Terrible story.

Originally Posted by Dynamic X

Originally Posted by HigherGround

what is up with the title son, all caps as if it is something important.
Can you stop posting? I swear 1 out of every 3 posts you make is ******ed BS.

word !! I didn't acknowledge your existence till now. You can go ahead cry, beg, wince, and get on your knees. I will not hold back what I've to say.

Lose out on tenure, or, take 3 innocent lives, and go to jail for the rest of your life?

C'MON

smh.gif

[h1]http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/professor_accus.html[/h1]
[h1]Professor accused in Ala. slayings shot her brother in Mass. 24 years ago[/h1]
[img]http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/icon_blue_email.gif[/img]E-mail|LinkFebruary 13, 2010 03:57 PM

amy_bishop_021310.jpg

Bob Gathany/Huntsville Times/AP

Amy Bishop was placed in a squad car after her arrest.

By John M. Guilfoil and Martin Finucane, Globe Staff

BRAINTREE -- The University of Alabama biology professor accused ofslaying three of her colleagues fatally shot her brother inMassachusetts more than two decades ago, a local police chief saidtoday, while at the same time raising troubling questions about how thelong-ago incident was handled.

The Boston Globe reported at the time that Amy Bishop hadaccidentally shot her 18-year-old brother, Seth M. Bishop, anaccomplished violinist who had won a number of science awards, inBraintree.

Braintree Police Chief Paul Frazier confirmed today at a newsconference that Amy Bishop had fatally shot her brother. But Frazieroffered a different account of the shooting, saying Bishop had shot herbrother during an argument and was being booked by police when thepolice chief at the time ordered the booking process stopped and Bishopreleased to her mother.

Frazier said he was basing his statements on the memories of one ofhis officers who was on the department at the time and had arrestedBishop. He said the records from the case have been missing since atleast 1988.

"I don't want to use the word 'coverup' ... but this does not look good," he said.

Then-Police Chief John Polio toldthe Globe in 1986 that Bishop, who was 20 at the time, had asked hermother, Judith, in the presence of her brother how to unload a roundfrom the chamber of a 12-gauge shotgun.

Polio told the Globe that while Amy Bishop was handling the weapon,it fired, wounding Seth Bishop in the abdomen. He was pronounced deadat a hospital 46 minutes after the Dec. 6, 1986 shooting.

"Every indication at this point in time leads us to believe it was an accidental shooting," Polio said at the time.

In an interview at his home this afternoon, Polio, 87, said, "Therewas no coverup." He said he followed all department procedures andthen-District Attorney William Delahunt's office conducted an inquiryand the decision was made not to file charges.

Polio at times fumbled over names and did not remember some detailsof the case. He was not aware until told by reporters that Bishop wasaccused of shooting six people in Alabama.

Delahunt, who is now a US representative, could not immediately be reached for comment this afternoon.

But Frazier said the media had been fed an incorrect story. He saidthat there was an argument at the home on Hollis Avenue and Amy Bishophad fired three shots, then fled the house and pointed the shotgun at amotorist in an attempted carjack. She was then arrested at gunpoint byofficers.

In Friday's shooting, Bishop, 42, a Harvard-educated neurobiologist,allegedly shot and killed three of her colleagues and wounded threeothers in an apparent tenure dispute at the Huntsville campus, the Associated Press reports.

^ just came looking for this thread to post that. how the hell does that type of stuff happen? she is crazzzy.

^ Or just reaaaallly angry.

Before the light was shed on the killing of her brother, I was going to say that things just didn't add up. I was thinking that there was much more to the story than just tenure. This woman is highly decorated and is pretty brilliant when it comes to academics and science. It didn't make sense to me that she would throw that all away over being denied tenure and I was believing that maybe this was over intellectual property. It happens a lot in colleges and the research community--often those with the "power" take credit for the genius findings of those without the label of tenured. Maybe they wanted to keep her as their work horse?

Buuuut now that we've found out she shot and killed her brother 20 years ago and the details surrounding that shooting....I can safely say that she is mentally disturbed and this most recent shooting probably had nothing to do with her being used or having her ideas stolen. She just didn't like what she was told earlier that day and she decided to let them know about it. What's scary is that everyone has a past, so it shows you that you never really know about the people you come in contact with on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom