TEAM AIR FORCE 1 VOL. 6 AKA STOP PM'ING US

Originally Posted by shawnyboyyy

Anybody seen these yet? Dirt magnets but so crispy, hopefully there's more where these came from for 2012...

Via Sole Collector
going to need that crazy new water/stain repellent someone posted in general 
laugh.gif

Anybody seen these yet? Dirt magnets but so crispy, hopefully there's more where these came from for 2012...

Via Sole Collector
Is my mind playing tricks on me, or does it look like the shape is getting better on these?

Not over the moon about this colorway, but if there are more canvas lows with improved silhouettes to come, then I'm bound to be in on at least some of them.

Via Sole Collector
Is my mind playing tricks on me, or does it look like the shape is getting better on these?

Not over the moon about this colorway, but if there are more canvas lows with improved silhouettes to come, then I'm bound to be in on at least some of them.

Also, here's another topic for people to discuss.

So, set aside the issue of whether you personally would prefer Nike retro any AF1 designs at all. Since we've seen that the jewels will be coming out, assume for the sake of argument that Nike is generally open to retro-ing AF1s.

...Why choose the jewels?

Now, for the sake of discussion, assume they'd retro whatever they retro correctly, or at least reasonably well. Well enough to make it worthy of debate to buy the retro or the original for three times the retro's price.

Wouldn't most of us rather see a few runs of classic colorways instead?

Or, since mostly everything Nike does needs an artificial hook and contrived gimmick attached to the initiative, wouldn't this be a better plan - and something that sounds remotely like something Nike might actually consider doing. For 2012, the 30th anniversary of the AF1, bring in Clark Kent or whoever they want to consider their celebrity AF1 consultant, and basically re-jigger the Jordan CDP idea. Re-release one pair originally produced each year, beginning in 1982. Some of them could be jewels. They could be whatever - highs, lows, jewels, mids, patent, canvas... whatever, just pick one of the best releases from each year. ...I know 30 shoes is a lot to release in a year, so spread it out further, people don't care if the execution doesn't exactly match the "hook," they'd just be excited to see classic joints again.

Finally, I'm not necessarily endorsing Nike retro anything - not because I want to hoard originals, but because I don't trust them not to desecrate a classic. But, if they are going this direction anyway, why not use a better road map?

Also, here's another topic for people to discuss.

So, set aside the issue of whether you personally would prefer Nike retro any AF1 designs at all. Since we've seen that the jewels will be coming out, assume for the sake of argument that Nike is generally open to retro-ing AF1s.

...Why choose the jewels?

Now, for the sake of discussion, assume they'd retro whatever they retro correctly, or at least reasonably well. Well enough to make it worthy of debate to buy the retro or the original for three times the retro's price.

Wouldn't most of us rather see a few runs of classic colorways instead?

Or, since mostly everything Nike does needs an artificial hook and contrived gimmick attached to the initiative, wouldn't this be a better plan - and something that sounds remotely like something Nike might actually consider doing. For 2012, the 30th anniversary of the AF1, bring in Clark Kent or whoever they want to consider their celebrity AF1 consultant, and basically re-jigger the Jordan CDP idea. Re-release one pair originally produced each year, beginning in 1982. Some of them could be jewels. They could be whatever - highs, lows, jewels, mids, patent, canvas... whatever, just pick one of the best releases from each year. ...I know 30 shoes is a lot to release in a year, so spread it out further, people don't care if the execution doesn't exactly match the "hook," they'd just be excited to see classic joints again.

Finally, I'm not necessarily endorsing Nike retro anything - not because I want to hoard originals, but because I don't trust them not to desecrate a classic. But, if they are going this direction anyway, why not use a better road map?

Classic colorway retros will ruin the integrity of the classics.

Have you seen what happened to air jordans?  Seeing a crisp AJ XI used to be something of interest.. now its whatever.  The new retros look like fakes

On another note, jewels are the best XD

Have you seen what happened to air jordans?  Seeing a crisp AJ XI used to be something of interest.. now its whatever.  The new retros look like fakes

I personally never had the mids in my top 5. But had a pair or two in top 10. If the leather is right along with toe shape I will cop a lot of colorways

I personally never had the mids in my top 5. But had a pair or two in top 10. If the leather is right along with toe shape I will cop a lot of colorways

"Wouldn't most of us rather see a few runs of classic colorways instead?" AMEN..wish we could get that into the minds of the fools behind the design & production of these low quality forces they've been tryna shove down our throats for years

"Wouldn't most of us rather see a few runs of classic colorways instead?" AMEN..wish we could get that into the minds of the fools behind the design & production of these low quality forces they've been tryna shove down our throats for years

I personally love the hunt for the vintage pairs.  Besides.. the retros will never be the same.

I think the day I find some blue spark jewels i'll %%!# my pants in excitement
grin.gif

I personally love the hunt for the vintage pairs.  Besides.. the retros will never be the same.

grin.gif

Originally Posted by MNadel

I get that, but if the jewels go into production, the genie is out of the bottle.

It's one thing to say, look I don't think AF1s should be retro-ed because Nike will just screw them up. That's actually kind of the camp into which I fall. I'd be all for it if they could do it right, but I have no confidence they will, so I'd rather they just don't do anything at all.

But, IMO, it's a different thing to say, in the context of retros happening, that you don't want them to retro your favorite joints or "the classics". I get it, if they re-released mushrooms, they wouldn't be real mushrooms. If the retros had cheap leather and the horrible shape, I wouldn't by them either. BUT, once things are being retroed and you start opining for the protection of your own sacred cows, you sort of cross the line from purist to self-interested elitist. I know every colorway not disgraced is a colorway that remains pure, but it's also a save yourself mentality used by people who want to protect the exclusivity and value of their pieces. So, the same rationale can be either love in it's most pure form or a representation of the most shallow of sneakerphile values.

I get that, but if the jewels go into production, the genie is out of the bottle.

It's one thing to say, look I don't think AF1s should be retro-ed because Nike will just screw them up. That's actually kind of the camp into which I fall. I'd be all for it if they could do it right, but I have no confidence they will, so I'd rather they just don't do anything at all.

But, IMO, it's a different thing to say, in the context of retros happening, that you don't want them to retro your favorite joints or "the classics". I get it, if they re-released mushrooms, they wouldn't be real mushrooms. If the retros had cheap leather and the horrible shape, I wouldn't by them either. BUT, once things are being retroed and you start opining for the protection of your own sacred cows, you sort of cross the line from purist to self-interested elitist. I know every colorway not disgraced is a colorway that remains pure, but it's also a save yourself mentality used by people who want to protect the exclusivity and value of their pieces. So, the same rationale can be either love in it's most pure form or a representation of the most shallow of sneakerphile values.

grin.gif
Again, I'm against Nike doing AF1 retros too - against it because they will just screw them up though, not necessarily because I love the hunt.

But, let me play a bit of devil's advocate here.

The mentality you put forth is part purist, and I respect that. I too like that there remains some depth to the sneaker hobby, that any johnny-come-lately can't always just whip out a credit card and become "the man." The AF1 sphere is one of the most protected spheres from the trend chasers and hypebeasts. That's partly why this is probably my favorite thread on NT - pound for pound, the people in it have pure love and knowledge. The kind of people who don't know what the hell a Based God or Wiz Khalifia is, but know exactly what Blue Ribbon Sports or Onitsuka Tiger is.

That said, the love of the hunt of the vintage pair comment is also elitist. I'm okay with that because I'm fine with dropping a couple of hundred bucks on a pair of shoes. I'm an adult who isn't swimming in cash, but has career as opposed to a job, and is able to do that. But, the appeal of that mentality begins to fade when you're on the other side of the equation. Some of us who are into sneakers may also be into vintage fashion, for example. So, while I'm okay with dropping a few hundred for a pair of kicks, am I okay with dropping a thousand for a fleece? Maybe not, so maybe if you ask me whether I think Ralph Lauren should "retro" the Snow Beach fleece, then I say yes because that's the only way it becomes accessible to me. So, a lot of times your opinion on threatening the integrity of the original is tied to whether the original is realistically at all attainable to you. If you're privileged enough that it is, you can entertain a position that others less fortunate than you can not.

The love of the hunt is only something you can begin to appreciate if you've reached the point where you don't have to worry about whether you can afford to even eat. So, the underlying question is really whether you think classics and greatness should be accessible to everybody. That's an open question. You and I both know that a retro of a pair of hong kongs wouldn't be the same as having an OG pair. And, a lot of times when I think about this, to me that's enough. In that respect, you can't erase greatness. You know and I know, and you know that I know, and I know that you know, and that's all I need to know.

grin.gif
Again, I'm against Nike doing AF1 retros too - against it because they will just screw them up though, not necessarily because I love the hunt.

But, let me play a bit of devil's advocate here.

The mentality you put forth is part purist, and I respect that. I too like that there remains some depth to the sneaker hobby, that any johnny-come-lately can't always just whip out a credit card and become "the man." The AF1 sphere is one of the most protected spheres from the trend chasers and hypebeasts. That's partly why this is probably my favorite thread on NT - pound for pound, the people in it have pure love and knowledge. The kind of people who don't know what the hell a Based God or Wiz Khalifia is, but know exactly what Blue Ribbon Sports or Onitsuka Tiger is.

That said, the love of the hunt of the vintage pair comment is also elitist. I'm okay with that because I'm fine with dropping a couple of hundred bucks on a pair of shoes. I'm an adult who isn't swimming in cash, but has career as opposed to a job, and is able to do that. But, the appeal of that mentality begins to fade when you're on the other side of the equation. Some of us who are into sneakers may also be into vintage fashion, for example. So, while I'm okay with dropping a few hundred for a pair of kicks, am I okay with dropping a thousand for a fleece? Maybe not, so maybe if you ask me whether I think Ralph Lauren should "retro" the Snow Beach fleece, then I say yes because that's the only way it becomes accessible to me. So, a lot of times your opinion on threatening the integrity of the original is tied to whether the original is realistically at all attainable to you. If you're privileged enough that it is, you can entertain a position that others less fortunate than you can not.

The love of the hunt is only something you can begin to appreciate if you've reached the point where you don't have to worry about whether you can afford to even eat. So, the underlying question is really whether you think classics and greatness should be accessible to everybody. That's an open question. You and I both know that a retro of a pair of hong kongs wouldn't be the same as having an OG pair. And, a lot of times when I think about this, to me that's enough. In that respect, you can't erase greatness. You know and I know, and you know that I know, and I know that you know, and that's all I need to know.

Oh, and on this note, I respectfully disagree. This is probably the only pair of jewels (and possibly the only mid) I'd consider if I had to put together a top 25 or something.

Oh, and on this note, I respectfully disagree. This is probably the only pair of jewels (and possibly the only mid) I'd consider if I had to put together a top 25 or something.

Well I understand and get what both of y'all are saying. I agree and disagree. The jewels are nice (the real OGs) because of leather quality and shape. I don't want Nike to retro something and just screw it up completely and then see guys out everywhere wearing crappy made jewels. But I am glad that Nike is thinking about us. I just wished they would reach out and ask us lol. I think that if they are dead set on retroing some jewels, I really don't want them to reuse the OG colorways. This way you can still tell what's what, but if everything is on point about them, then by all means OG it up

I love hunting for OG kicks. Sometimes I get lucky and it don't take long, but usually I'm searching and searching for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom