TEAM AIR FORCE 1 VOL. 6 AKA STOP PM'ING US

PG is cool. I met up with him about two months ago to sell him that pair of '95 white/black NYC highs. It was like the only pair that I had that was out of my size range. Met him at a bar and wound up having a couple rounds of drinks with him.

Afrokix has some nice stuff too. He did that Complex video profile and shows those white/red super jewel mids, which he says were the first pair of AF1s he ever had. The pair in that video, I sold to him for like $80 or $100 or something. When I saw that vid it made me happy that I could reunite him with the shoe that basically jumped off his love for AF1s.

But, the thing that hurts me is that a lot of the pairs that are on my most wanted list right, many of which have been on that list for many years - I may know one person who has them, or nobody at all. So, I'm kind of stuck. And, because of that, you start to sort of lose your passion a bit. It's like hip hop now, I have to search harder and harder to find less and less, so it starts to zap your drive to even do the searching in the first place.

Shout to everybody who keeps the AF1 alive though! It's great to have a niche within this whole bohemith of wackness that is "sneaker culture" that still largely retains the ethos of the way things once were.

You guys are all the real MVPs!!!
That was too real

But, the thing that hurts me is that a lot of the pairs that are on my most wanted list right, many of which have been on that list for many years - I may know one person who has them, or nobody at all. So, I'm kind of stuck. And, because of that, you start to sort of lose your passion a bit. It's like hip hop now, I have to search harder and harder to find less and less, so it starts to zap your drive to even do the searching in the first place.

I won't pretend to be an AF1 guy but I still lurk around here from time to time.  Sometimes I get email updates from this thread and sometimes I don't.  Peabrain's response came up in my email to this and I couldn't agree more at least on the Hip Hop part Bip.  I consider myself very fortunate to have grown up in the 90s when Hip Hop was IMO at it's very best.  I remember catching the bus to the mall almost every Tuesday to grab the latest album from someone who I liked.  Sadly those days are long gone.  I've gone YEARS without buying anything at times.  Searching for stuff to listen to now a days can be absolutely BRUTAL especially since I am stuck in my 90s Boom Bap Hip Hop Love.  I can't help it.  That's what I love and I deeply miss the excitement of popping in a new album and just zoning out.
frown.gif

Sorry to break off topic but I just wanted to share.

Last edited:
wassup rick! hows life?

even tho im a 90s baby i was still too young to catch the golden era of hip hop...but what i grew up on later in years compared to whats "hot" nowadays...i just cant fathom how horrible its gotten imo. i try not to be the type to judge cuz everybody got their own thing...but i just...i feel so bad for this new generation...

/vent

here's 
wassup rick! hows life?

even tho im a 90s baby i was still too young to catch the golden era of hip hop...but what i grew up on later in years compared to whats "hot" nowadays...i just cant fathom how horrible its gotten imo. i try not to be the type to judge cuz everybody got their own thing...but i just...i feel so bad for this new generation...

/ventI
I was born in the 80s when hip hop about to blow up i mean really blow up and i was apart of the 90s hip hop that was the golden era i loved it every single bit up it But i say around 2006ish thats where hip hop going dpwn the drain there still a few cats out there doing real hiphop

wassup rick! hows life?

/vent
I've been better for sure.  How about you?

I'm 36 so my teen years were all 90s Hip Hop.  1994 was when Gangstarr dropped Hard to Earn and DJ Premier became my favorite producer.  Hence my username.
wink.gif
  Today's stuff that is considered "hot" is basically trash truck juice IMO.   I do not listen to any of it.  I do not listen to the radio at all.  When I hear some clown yelling about bouncing in the club or rapping about how much money he has or how many women he messes with it makes me want to puke.  I kid you not that my blood starts to boil when I hear people playing that crap.  It's so awful and it's a big part of why the world has become so "Me, Me, Me...look at me and what I got."  It's disgusting and I want no parts of it.  Of course if you voice you're opinion about this you are called a "hater" because god forbid you just don't like something that everyone else does.  Smh...  I do understand that the new generation can't go back in time and live the 90s Hip Hop years that I did so it's not entirely their fault.  Most people are followers and want to feel like they are part of something so they listen to what everyone else does.  I do know quite a few younger heads that love the classics so it's definitely not everyone. 

I won't pretend to be an AF1 guy but I still lurk around here from time to time.  Sometimes I get email updates from this thread and sometimes I don't.  Peabrain's response came up in my email to this and I couldn't agree more at least on the Hip Hop part Bip.  I consider myself very fortunate to have grown up in the 90s when Hip Hop was IMO at it's very best.  I remember catching the bus to the mall almost every Tuesday to grab the latest album from someone who I liked.  Sadly those days are long gone.  I've gone YEARS without buying anything at times.  Searching for stuff to listen to now a days can be absolutely BRUTAL especially since I am stuck in my 90s Boom Bap Hip Hop Love.  I can't help it.  That's what I love and I deeply miss the excitement of popping in a new album and just zoning out. :frown:

Sorry to break off topic but I just wanted to share.

'88 - '96 was the just about the glory era of almost all the things I love.

Hip hop - '88 - '94, grace period though '96
Nike/AF1s: ''87/91 - 96, grace period through '98
Polo - '88 - '94 - grace period through '96
North Face - '90 - '96 grace period through '98 if you feel the moto steeps
Graffiti - this is more complicated because of the train era, but the "clean train" and street bombing probably peaked in the early 90s. Probably call it '88 - '97.

Of course, this era is the era of my yourh too. And, like Jerry Seinfeld said, a man's wardrobe is often a time capsule of his greatest memories as a young man. (I'm paraphrasing). So, of course there's a question of which is the cart and which is the horse - do I think this is the best because it was my formitive years and nothing, no matter how objectively dope, can recapture the feeling of you discovering something for the first time? Or, was that truly the best era for these things, in objective sense?

Of course, I'm biased based on that, but at the same time, you see what the legacies are and which imprints remain the strongest. Nike retros the shoes from our era and has the kids lining up and sleeping in the street. Kids born in 1996 will drop $2500 on a Snow Beach pullover, but can't tell you anything about the lines that came out in their own lifetimes. The biggest graff writer of today's group probably wouldn't have made Vandal Squad's 40 most wanted list in the 90s. Going all city has been replaced by having ups on Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, and 12oz prophet. The guys doing their thing today consider those from the older era their inspirations.

So, I don't think I'm just glorifying my own opinion. These culture as they exist today still exist around what happened in those years.

If I ever try to drop jewels to the kids about their participation in any of this culture, what I tell them is to carve your own lane. Master your own time. I'm an old fart - just like you, Rick - and I sit back and get nostaligic about my youth. I tell the kids, that one day they are going to be old farts too and they are going to look back and realize that they spent THEIR youth trying to recreare the youth of SOMEBODY ELSE, and that's going to be an empty feeling. Yeah, you won't get the paint-by-numbers props nowadays, but one day there will be nostalgia for today's present, and people will look at you and realize you had the vision to be different and appreciate your time for what it was. Of course the older heads will clown you, that's the cycle of things. But, if you move with self-respect and respect the architects without just blatantly jocking, people will recognize that. Play by the rules, but innovate within them!

Last edited:
I just listened to paid in full the other day all the way thru

"I came thru the door, I said it before"... :pimp:

Last edited:
'88 - '96 was the just about the glory era of almost all the things I love.

Hip hop - '88 - '94, grace period though '96
Nike/AF1s: ''87/91 - 96, grace period through '98
Polo - '88 - '94 - grace period through '96
North Face - '90 - '96 grace period through '98 if you feel the moto steeps
Graffiti - this is more complicated because of the train era, but the "clean train" and street bombing probably peaked in the early 90s. Probably call it '88 - '97.

Of course, this era is the era of my yourh too. And, like Jerry Seinfeld said, a man's wardrobe is often a time capsule of his greatest memories as a young man. (I'm paraphrasing). So, of course there's a question of which is the cart and which is the horse - do I think this is the best because it was my formitive years and nothing, no matter how objectively dope, can recapture the feeling of you discovering something for the first time? Or, was that truly the best era for these things, in objective sense?

Of course, I'm biased based on that, but at the same time, you see what the legacies are and which imprints remain the strongest. Nike retros the shoes from our era and has the kids lining up and sleeping in the street. Kids born in 1996 will drop $2500 on a Snow Beach pullover, but can't tell you anything about the lines that came out in their own lifetimes. The biggest graff writer of today's group probably wouldn't have made Vandal Squad's 40 most wanted list in the 90s. Going all city has been replaced by having ups on Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, and 12oz prophet. The guys doing their thing today consider those from the older era their inspirations.

So, I don't think I'm just glorifying my own opinion. These culture as they exist today still exist around what happened in those years.

If I ever try to drop jewels to the kids about their participation in any of this culture, what I tell them is to carve your own lane. Master your own time. I'm an old fart - just like you, Rick - and I sit back and get nostaligic about my youth. I tell the kids, that one day they are going to be old farts too and they are going to look back and realize that they spent THEIR youth trying to recreare the youth of SOMEBODY ELSE, and that's going to be an empty feeling. Yeah, you won't get the paint-by-numbers props nowadays, but one day there will be nostalgia for today's present, and people will look at you and realize you had the vision to be different and appreciate your time for what it was. Of course the older heads will clown you, that's the cycle of things. But, if you move with self-respect and respect the architects without just blatantly jocking, people will recognize that. Play by the rules, but innovate within them!
Absolutely fantastic read Bip. So fantastic in fact that I don't know how I could possibly add to it.

I just don't like what some people have become.  I mean I have friends that I grew up with that have changed and became like today's youth just to fit in.  It's like "Yo man you are in your 30s now.  You have kids now.  Why are you listening to this brain dead music?  Why are you wearing skin tight pants?   Why do you care about fitting in?  As a matter of fact why have you ever cared?"    The best part is that they can't answer the questions.  They just laugh.  I just don't get it.  It's a phrase that has been beating to death but to me it's 100% true.  ""I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Absolutely fantastic read Bip. So fantastic in fact that I don't know how I could possibly add to it.

I just don't like what some people have become.  I mean I have friends that I grew up with that have changed and became like today's youth just to fit in.  It's like "Yo man you are in your 30s now.  You have kids now.  Why are you listening to this brain dead music?  Why are you wearing skin tight pants?   Why do you care about fitting in?  As a matter of fact why have you ever cared?"    The best part is that they can't answer the questions.  They just laugh.  I just don't get it.  It's a phrase that has been beating to death but to me it's 100% true.  ""I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Thanks for the kind words.

And, I don't know either, but that's certainly a big part of how everything got perverted into today's mess. A lot of the older generation moved on, which is fine; it happens. At the same time, the scene was growing faster than ever. Soon, it became overpopulated with kids. Those kids fell for the marketing gimmicks of people trying to sell them a culture. But, there are so many of them that their voice became very powerful. Soon, you had older heads switching their sensibilities around to gain the worship of those kids because those who shared their core sensibilities are few, and many are gone.

BTW, I'm under no delusion that we didn't things to "fit in" when we were young too. But, as you grow up, you have to learn who you really are and become secure enough in yourself to stop chasing others' acceptance.

BTW, I find it ironic that all these collectors who are so enamored with rare shoes dismiss the AF1. This thread is full of stuff that is way more rare than most of the stuff they glorify.

I just listened to paid in full the other day all the way thru

"I came thru the door, I said it before"... :pimp:

Time well spent.

'sup gang,

been lurking on NT for a few days now and it's nice to see this thread is still going strong

nice 1s people..

take care

Guy

yeah, i still have the lemon twists and the midsoles are still piss yellow
ohwell.gif

i need to find someone who can fix that for me, because i'm not going to fluf around with chemicals with a 4-year old running around the house..

my guess is that would have to be vars. maize, what with the 98 high's and the 99(?) maize/university blue accented mids.

Back
Top Bottom