Thank You NikeTalk.

I've been on this forum since November 2003. I have been banned twice, first time because I posted pictures of the 19's and Nike forced Method Man to ban me. In any case, I just wanted to thank those in power for not commercializing this place like ISS. That site is not too bad, but it has lost the underground feel and camaraderie that's still remains at Nike Talk.  This place has not changed since the first day I started lurking in 2002. Thanks.

bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

whenever i go on any other forum and see a million advertisements it makes me appreciate this place so much more

I can't explain how much better NT is than many other forums.

The only ads they use are pretty much to maintain the site. Any money they make is usually donated to worthwhile causes. There is no favoritism here.

pimp.gif

*tips glass

Originally Posted by CoolGrayMemo

The only ads they use are pretty much to maintain the site. Any money they make is usually donated to worthwhile causes. There is no favoritism here.

pimp.gif

*tips glass

It don't seem like it... %*#% was TERRIBLE yesterday
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Young Handsome

pimp.gif

*tips glass

It don't seem like it... %*#% was TERRIBLE yesterday
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
 True.

I think that's yuku though.

NT is doing their part.

pimp.gif

*tips glass
true story - one of the ads gave me a virus and %**+!$ up my old pc few years ago. not mad though, i was overdue for a new desktop

The only ads they use are pretty much to maintain the site. Any money they make is usually donated to worthwhile causes.

It's an admittedly difficult balance to strike.  NikeTalk as currently constituted is relatively inexpensive to operate because this is clearly a low-end platform.  
The more services you want, the more features you want, the more reliability you want, the more ads need to be implemented to pay for it all.  So, we're kind of put in a no-win situation in that everyone wants us to upgrade, yet doing so would absolutely require us to run more ads.  The only upshot there is that the ad quality would also improve, as the malware ads etc. all come from bottom of the barrel automated rotations. 

I think the difference, with respect to commercialization, is that EVERYONE involved with NikeTalk BEGAN as a forum user.  This isn't something we created in order to make money.  It's something that every single one of us became involved with simply for its own sake.  It's not business first around here.  It's family first.  

That's fine. I haven't posted in a long time. But, it is nice to say other people appreciating this forum.

I'd argue that NT has changed significantly over the past 10 years, but I understand your sentiment.

Originally Posted by Method Man

The only ads they use are pretty much to maintain the site. Any money they make is usually donated to worthwhile causes.
It's an admittedly difficult balance to strike.  NikeTalk as currently constituted is relatively inexpensive to operate because this is clearly a low-end platform.  
The more services you want, the more features you want, the more reliability you want, the more ads need to be implemented to pay for it all.  So, we're kind of put in a no-win situation in that everyone wants us to upgrade, yet doing so would absolutely require us to run more ads.  The only upshot there is that the ad quality would also improve, as the malware ads etc. all come from bottom of the barrel automated rotations. 

I think the difference, with respect to commercialization, is that EVERYONE involved with NikeTalk BEGAN as a forum user.  This isn't something we created in order to make money.  It's something that every single one of us became involved with simply for its own sake.  It's not business first around here.  It's family first.  

Thanks again Method Man.
On another forum (which will remain unnamed) they have sponsored accounts which advertise their products. Since these are "paid" accounts, they pretty much have as much power as a mod - I've seen people get banned over posting something about these (sponsored) users.

Also, the main mod/owner/whatever quit his day job to reek the most benefits from the forum.

There a bunch of different stories I can post on showing how great NT is over any other forum.

Originally Posted by Method Man

df815d7710e8a0b07fdbfd71eeb7998735f32fa.gif

CoolGrayMemo wrote:

Thanks again Method Man.
On another forum (which will remain unnamed) they have sponsored accounts which advertise their products. Since these are "paid" accounts, they pretty much have as much power as a mod - I've seen people get banned over posting something about these (sponsored) users.

Also, the main mod/owner/whatever quit his day job to reek the most benefits from the forum.

There a bunch of different stories I can post on showing how great NT is over any other forum.

30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif
 pathetic. 

Meth (serious question): any chance NT ever moves to vBulletin?
Everyone here, down to the most casual user, is acutely aware with Yuku's "issues."  Then, on top of that, factor in all the instability we've experienced at the management level as Yuku has been sold over and over again.  
Since maybe 2005 or so, not a single year goes by that we haven't given serious consideration to switching platforms.  

VBulletin has its own problems to be sure.  Security, for example, is of particular concern.  The larger the platform, the bigger the target and though, for the sake of flexibility, third party add-ons are convenient they're also problematic due to their impact on site performance as well as any vulnerabilities that such openness can create.  Then there are cost issues.  With a network, you distribute the expense of maintenance, updates are pushed immediately, etc.  If you run a vbulletin site, you're generally on your own and everything's suddenly scaling in the wrong direction.  Every so often, people campaign to be the next moderator - but nobody's gonna volunteer to play systems admin. 

Really, there's no perfect solution.  If there was, we'd be using it already.  Anything we do will produce a certain degree of controversy.  If we change the banner or replace an emoticon some people freak out.  (And yet, often that criticism comes from the same people who want us to leave Yuku - like that won't result in massive changes throughout the site.) 

I think what WORKS on NikeTalk is our people.  The rest, to a certain degree, is window dressing.  We want to create the best possible experience, but nobody comes to NikeTalk for a fancy layout or a bunch of tacky social media gimmicks.  The best thing a platform can do, in some respects, is to simply work properly and get out of the way.  We've all sort of gotten accustomed to living with this platform's stubborn flaws, but the concern is that it's creating an entry barrier that makes it more difficult than it should be for us to welcome like-minded newcomers to our community.  It should be easier for people to find content of interest.  The system needs to respond QUICKLY and stop crashing every time there's a traffic spike for a major sporting event or news story.  The platform and its features should be intuitive. 

While the status quo is comfortable simply because we're so accustomed to it, things need to get better and I know that we're all short on patience in that respect.  All of us put a lot into this place every day and we deserve a platform that maximizes and enhances, rather than frustrates and undermines, our collective efforts.  We'll consider any and every option that allows us to do so. 

I don't post a whole lot, but I've been here since I was 15. Going on 10 years in June.

I literally grew up with this forum, like most of us have. It started with sneakers and transitioned into every day life. New music, laughs, and people always willing to help someone (most of the time a stranger) is an amazing thing. I'd like to also say thanks to the mods for taking the time to make sure we have this, and to the thousands of members who always make this place feel like home.

Back
Top Bottom