The 2012 ESPYs...hosted by Rob Riggle

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Dude went to Harvard. NOBODY knew who he was.

Guy is the definition of breakout. Knew Gronk would be good when he played at Zona, that was assuming his back issues eased up (they obviously did)

Exactly.. Honestly, I don't see how anyone can disagree with Lin winning.

Guy is the definition of breakout. Knew Gronk would be good when he played at Zona, that was assuming his back issues eased up (they obviously did)
He is definitely the definition of Breakout.

He opened my eyes in the Harvard Uconn game back in '09 when he dropped 30 
eek.gif

That mess was crazy! I saw the potential, but I didn't think it would amount to what he did last season 

Also the Heat won? Didn't really expect that. I guess the fans can appreciate a good team.

StaXX wrote:

Exactly.. Honestly, I don't see how anyone can disagree with Lin winning.

You'd have to be crazy. I missed the ESPYs did anything good happen? I really think ESPN should try and build up this show some more, give a "this is the Grammy's of Sports" type feel. Everytime I've watched it feels like an MTV Award and it could and should be better than this.

Really though, Sebastian Vettel didn't win driver of the year? smh ESPN.

StaXX wrote:
Fantasy football though?
laugh.gif

Before this year you knew every other athlete in that category right?
Did you know who Jeremy Lin was?
Like I said.. Lin rightfully deserves breakout athlete of the year.

I knew exactly who he was actually.
Some PG with an Asian sounding name that was like a 63 overall in NBA 2k11. No but seriously I knew who exactly who he was.

The point I was making with the fantasy football reference was that even somewhat informed football fans didn't know who Gronk was or simply didn't think he was all that special.

This after a 10 TD rookie effort.

Big laughing smiling faces do not in the least take away from my point. You're not providing ANY thing other than POPULARITY in your argument as to why he deserved the honor. NOTHING.

indifferent.gif

Like I said, Gronk in only his SECOND YEAR AS A PRO had the GREATEST season ever put together by a Tight-End, wake me up when Lin even sniffs a top 50 all-time single-season PG performance.

NT is the WORST at defending their rationale when it comes to sports, I swear. SHEESH. It always turns into a popularity contest with these things and you guys just further prove that. 

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

PPG, APG,  RPG, and PER....these are the kids' numbers 14.6, 6.2, 3.1, 19.97....

Seriously? You call THAT a breakthrough? 

SERIOUSLY?

I'm not even going to bother bringing up Gronk's numbers. It's clear that we'll just have to agree to disagree, there's no point in arguing with people who can't even defend their rationale. 

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

Son..
laugh.gif

How are you not getting it?
Breakout athlete of the year entails gaining recognition aka it's basically a hype award. Out of everyone else Lin deserved that award.
Having been undrafted, cut from two teams, this dude was close to working a regular 9-5 for the rest of his life.
Within two weeks this dude went from a no named NBA player to having the number one selling jersey in the NBA
Literally within two weeks this dude filled up Madison Square and out of everyone else nominated made the biggest impact.
& he was able to do it in New York City. He became a household name this year.
What are you not getting? It's simple logic..

StaXX wrote:
Son..
laugh.gif

Breakout athlete of the year entails gaining recognition aka it's basically a hype award. Out of everyone else Lin deserved that award.
Having been undrafted, cut from two teams, this dude was close to working a regular 9-5 for the rest of his life.
Within two weeks this dude went from a no named NBA player to having the number one selling jersey in the NBA
Literally within two weeks this dude filled up Madison Square and out of everyone else nominated made the biggest impact.

According to whom? 

I thought it implied actually breaking out, like blowing up. Balling. Not winning prom queen.
But okay, we'll go with that. 

But you'd still be wrong though....

Look at the previous winners, Blake, Bron, AD, CJ2K, Randy Moss etc.

Not one, not ONE of the previous winners won out of popularity. Only Lin, the award is based on performance, not popularity. Gronk HAD THE GREATEST SEASON EVER, BY ANY TIGHT-END IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.

Does that not compute? The award is for PERFORMANCE, BREAKING OUT. HE DIDN'T PERFORM BETTER THAN ANY OF THE OTHER NOMINEES. HE WON IT BECAUSE HE WAS A NOVELTY.

Dang man I swear NT sometimes. 

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

StaXX wrote:
Son..
laugh.gif

According to whom? 

I thought it implied actually breaking out, like blowing up. Balling. Not winning prom queen.
But okay, we'll go with that. 

Did Lin not ball out?
Did he not have the greatest impact on his team and step up when the stars got hurt?
Did he not become a household name?
Everyone else in the category had already produced for their teams right?
So yes, Gronkowski beasted but everyone knew he had the potential to deliver.
Before the season, if I had told you that an undrafted Asian kid would lead the Knicks on a 6 game winning streak, have the number one selling jersey, and break Shaq's scoring record would you believe me?
Come on son.. I'm done.
laugh.gif

Only in an ESPY's thread on NT would people argue.

These award mean nothing, I mean....this is fan voting and we know fans are stupid
laugh.gif

Everyone knows Jeremy only won because he's Asian and attended Harvard. If he was black and went to an ACC school no one would have gave a %!$% about his little run. Its a shame too; almost racist. Lin is not even a top 10 pg in the NBA and he is going to get smoked everytime he matches up against a decent PG this year.

Yeah Gronk deserved that award but Lin got it because he's not black, basically
laugh.gif
He played well for like 10% of one NBA season and even then, dude was turning the ball over like it was his job. He's erratic in his motions and he holds the ball too damn much. Yall know how it go. Heads in the locker room were probably making fun of him before the games because he's a little Asian boy and not taking him seriously which allowed him to go off a few times. Then a guy like Rondo decides to take him seriously an bring him back down to Earth and absolutely destroys and embarasses him. Jeremy Lin will be one of the Knicks glaring weaknesses this year. They should have gunned for Raymond Felton IMO or just let Shump go to bring in Nash for a chance to win THIS YEAR. they would have been much better off. The Knicks will be a good team this year, but unfortunately for a lot of my S+T brethren, they have no shot at the Finals this year or anytime soon with butterfinger Lin running point. Its a shame the Knicks owner cares more about jersey sales then having a competent starting PG on the floor. I mean dude was sitting on the bench during the Knicks playoffs run
laugh.gif
How is that breakthrough?

People arent going to give Gronk his propers on NT because he plays for the Pats, which is expected. Gronk is going to the HOF whn its all said and done, and by that time 'Linsanity' will he nothing but a distant memory. I think Gronk can live with that
laugh.gif

Disclaimer: i been known about JLin and even watched him play once , in person , at Harvard. He was all over the Boston Globe being hyped as the first asian american to potentially be drafted in the NBA. Im rooting for dude to do well. But what happened last year was a mirage of sorts. Hes nothing special and he won that award due to his ethnicity. I think we can all agree on that.

i tuned in to watch best game, was satisfied and turned it off ... show looks terrible ... i have never watched it

Would gronk winning this award mean anything? No? Okay stop crying. It's a damn espy. Get over it and continue to be sad bout how the giants own you. That's what really matters

roll.gif
roll.gif

Salty Knick fans run rampant
laugh.gif

Saying an award of any kind doesnt matter is that loser mentality . That #%## matters .

Munn's boobs looking nice last night.  Glad she finally chose to do a topless scene in a movie 
smokin.gif
devil.gif

Patriots fans stay complaining and whining over something.  For all we know the Pats could have cheated this year......AGAIN, so as far as I'm concerned Gronk's going to have to put up those numbers again this year and maybe the year after until we can say he's the real deal. 

Everyone knows Jeremy only won because he's Asian and attended Harvard

Yeah Gronk deserved that award but Lin got it because he's not black, basically

Keeping the old traditions of Boston alive I see NooEra.........SMH.  Way to represent champ.      

Highlights for me:
The Lin/Tebow connection. My dude Jeremy walked right past Jessica Biel at first to dap up Tim. 

Smoke shows that accompanied Steve Nash and Evan Longoria. 

Danica, Zooey, Olivia Munn, Lindsey Vonn (nice Tebow in a dress), Hayden, etc. 

Riggle did alright as host I suppose. Hit on the Bountygate, Spygate, and Sanchez jokes. Fantasy football skit was fairly humorous. 

Back
Top Bottom