The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
questionable leadership doesn't equal coach killer tho
Culter got Lovie & Marc Trestman fired 
laugh.gif

There's a difference between going off in a game, or series and doing it over the course of an 82 game season and I'm one of the biggest Magic stans there is.

Last edited:
Just because there were hard fouls does not mean great defense was being played. Try to watch a game from the 80's now - it's like a glorified pick up game.

The fact that it was illegal to double team from the weak side makes any argument that defense was possibly better then null and void.

I agree...Defense was NOT better in the NBA back in the day. You had fewer teams and more talent on each of those teams plus today's rules allow for zone defenses and different double teaming rules. Back then a guy beating his man on the perimeter could probably get all the way to rim. Nowadays you can zone that side of the floor. So that dunk has turned into a mid range J or a kick out for a 3 pointer (lower percentage shots)

Plus you had more traditional centers back then who knew how to work the post. Not so many any more so more jumpers are being taken and fewer layups, sky hooks....in the paint

Last edited:
I agree...Defense was NOT better in the NBA back in the day. You had fewer teams and more talent on each of those teams plus today's rules allow for zone defenses and different double teaming rules. Back then a guy beating his man on the perimeter could probably get all the way to rim. Nowadays you can zone that side of the floor. So that dunk has turned into a mid range J or a kick out for a 3 pointer (lower percentage shots)
you make good points. plus these days, they call a foul when u exhale on people.

As a rookie."Magic Johnson 1980 Finals: 42pts, Gm 6 vs. 76ers" on YouTube
Magic Johnson 1980 Finals: 42pts, Gm 6 vs. 76ers:

I want you guys to be perfectly honest, how much basketball have you actually seen Magic play?

Between ESPN Classics and NBATV I've seen a lot of his playoff games. I grew up watching those classic games over summers.

There's a difference between going off in a game, or series and doing it over the course of an 82 game season and I'm one of the biggest Magic stans there is.

His career high is 24 on 52% while still getting 12 apg... He coulda easily got 25 or 26 if he took more shots.

Last edited:

Plus you had more traditional centers back then who knew how to work the post. Not so many any more so more jumpers are being taken and fewer layups, sky hooks....in the paint
guys could not just get to the rim. Was no defensive 3 second violation. Bigs just sat in the lane. And hammered you if you tried to go baseline. Check the "Jordan Rules" And not get a tech.

I feel like this whole discussion is a byproduct of the advanced stats era where if you want to determine what kind of player a guy is you just divide his WARP by his VSOP and round to the nearest effective gravity percentage. I personally never saw Magic play live, I was nothing but spermicide when he was in his prime. What about you? :nerd:

Between ESPN Classics and NBATV I've seen a lot of his playoff games. I grew up watching those classic games over summers.
His career high is 24 on 52% while still getting 12 apg... He coulda easily got 25 or 26 if he took more shots.
They don't wanna hear it. The league is too good today lol.

I feel like this whole discussion is a byproduct of the advanced stats era where if you want to determine what kind of player a guy is you just divide his WARP by his VSOP and round to the nearest effective gravity percentage. I personally never saw Magic play live, I was nothing but spermicide when he was in his prime. What about you? :nerd:
maybe watch some games, footage, documentaries.

Last edited:

I saw probably 80 percent of the games Magic played in between 1988 and 1992, so I stand pretty firmly behind anything I say about how his game would translate to this era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom