The 2015 NBA Draft Thread: Draft Day Is Here

I liked Stauskas a lot last year. Maybe Belien's offense made him look better than he really was (looking at you too Trey Burke)?

Looking at Draymond Green it seems to me that the most underrated skill a big can have is after rolling being able to catch the ball around the foul line, mid paint area locate where the help is coming from and make the correct pass before the defense recovers.

How many in the bigs can do this at a high level? Can this give us a clue in identifying underrated/overrated prospects?

Top 5 at this skill would be?

Bottom 5?
Depending on if you consider Josh Smith a big or not...he does this pretty well also

Depending on if you consider Josh Smith a big or not...he does this pretty well also

Yeah josh is good, too many turnovers though but Im talking about in this draft.

imo

Top 5.

Frank Kaminsky
Trey Lyles
Vince Hunter

can't see anyone else who has this skill in this class.

That Magic pick is where it gets interesting. The top 4 will stay the same. But in whatever order.

Not just for what it means for the rest of the lottery picks, but whether their pick means they let Tobias Harris go. Or if they keep doing this one step forward, and then 2 step back.

Their problem is they have a lot of guys who don't fit a position.

I've seen a lot of Kristaps Porzinga which is not going to be a good look. Putting him next to Vucevic, even despite him being a Stretch 4, is going to be easy to defend when you end up with Aaron Gordon at the 3.

Draft Express has Mario Hezonja to them, which is a decent idea, if you feel he can fill out into the 3 just as much as he plays SG.

But you have Gordon who they played at the 3, which is horrible considering he can't shoot. Just move him to the 4.

Then you have what are they doing with Tobias, are they willing to max him. Do they want him at the 3 or 4.

You have Mo Harkless & Andrew Nicholson, who are lesser talents, but they are questionable at where they should play.

The Magic kind of need to begin sorting something out, and find a natural position for guys or they will basically piss away any idea of a bright future.

*Note: Yes I want Tobias Harris on the Lakers. But even if he stayed in Orlando or left. They still have so many guys that they have no idea where they want to play him. With Tobias is adding another one.

Last edited:
I think only the top 3 are somewhat clear. It gets interesting @ 4 w/ the Knicks.

Last edited:

For some yes, but I look at Orlando and they will impact a lot. Are they going to keep Harris? If not they could draft Winslow as a replacement

If they do retain Harris, can Vuc play the 4? If so, they can draft WCS

Kings are at the mercy of Orlando
That Magic pick is where it gets interesting. The top 4 will stay the same. But in whatever order.

Not just for what it means for the rest of the lottery picks, but whether their pick means they let Tobias Harris go. Or if they keep doing this one step forward, and then 2 step back.

I've seen a lot of Kristaps Porzinga which is not going to be a good look. Putting him next to Vucevic, even despite him being a Stretch 4, is going to be easy to defend when you end up with Aaron Gordon at the 3.

Draft Express has Mario Hezonja to them, which is a decent idea, if you feel he can fill out into the 3 just as much as he plays SG.

But you have Gordon who they played at the 3, which is horrible considering he can't shoot. Just move him to the 4.

Then you have what are they doing with Tobias, are they willing to max him. Do they want him at the 3 or 4.

You have Mo Harkless & Andrew Nicholson, who are lesser talents, but they are questionable at where they should play.

The Magic kind of need to begin sorting something out, and find a natural position for guys or they will basically piss away any idea of a bright future.
I said something similar earlier

Orlando has went for athletes lately. Will they go for Winslow? I would rather go with a rim protector like WCS if I'm Orlando and going with a big. Can Vuc play the 4?

For some yes, but I look at Orlando and they will impact a lot. Are they going to keep Harris? If not they could draft Winslow as a replacement

If they do retain Harris, can Vuc play the 4? If so, they can draft WCS

Kings are at the mercy of Orlando

You have Mo Harkless
I said something similar earlier

Orlando has went for athletes lately. Will they go for Winslow? I would rather go with a rim protector like WCS if I'm Orlando and going with a big. Can Vuc play the 4?

Depends on how much 4. A handful of minutes a game? Sure.

But as your starting 4? Ehhhh. That might be asking a bit much. Maybe it could work because WCS is not an offensive player, and Vuc could still technically do everything he normally does on offense, but would it then make WCS even more of just a mannequin on offense that you could play off of and double team Vuc.

In last 4 seasons, has only played the PF this season (vast majority of minutes at the 5) and like 20 minutes for 76ers in 2011-12, and his offensive efficiency went down at the 4. Defense was pretty much the same (not good).

Now WCS would clear up a lot of that on defense, but I don't think it will be too great. Especially if it forces them to play Aaron Gordon a lot of minutes at SF because then you have 2 guys you can play off of to look at Vucevic.

Last edited:

But as your starting 4? Ehhhh. That might be asking a bit much. Maybe it could work because WCS is not an offensive player, and Vuc could still technically do everything he normally does on offense, but would it then make WCS even more of just a mannequin on offense that you could play off of and double team Vuc.

In last 4 seasons, has only played the PF this season and like 20 minutes for 76ers in 2011-12, and his offensive efficiency went down at the 4. Defense was pretty much the same (not good).

Now WCS would clear up a lot of that, but I don't think it will be too great. Especially if it forces them to play Aaron Gordon a lot of minutes at SF because then you have 2 guys you can play off of to look at Vucevic.
The great thing is, you can't go wrong with Winslow or Mario if you don't go with WCS...

In last 4 seasons, has only played the PF this season and like 20 minutes for 76ers in 2011-12, and his offensive efficiency went down at the 4. Defense was pretty much the same (not good).

Now WCS would clear up a lot of that, but I don't think it will be too great. Especially if it forces them to play Aaron Gordon a lot of minutes at SF because then you have 2 guys you can play off of to look at Vucevic.
The great thing is, you can't go wrong with Winslow or Mario if you don't go with WCS...

Well it all depends how much of the ceiling Mario hits. But we never know how that goes until it happens.

They still have to clean up that roster, regardless of who they pick. They're going to basically ruin last year's pick by thinking Aaron Gordon is ever going to be a good 3.

if I'm Orlando I take winslow and sign and trade Tobias

I've got Booker going to the Jazz. think he can be tremendous for them as a shooter.

Well it all depends how much of the ceiling Mario hits. But we never know how that goes until it happens.

They still have to clean up that roster, regardless of who they pick. They're going to basically ruin last year's pick by thinking Aaron Gordon is ever going to be a good 3.
If you don't take WCS because you have Payton and Dipo, can you really take Winslow? 

Mario on paper seems like the logical fit because of his shooting but at the same time, defensively you don't exactly scare anyone with Dipo, Mario and Vuc...

My overall point was, you will get a nice piece either way. Try to make it fit in as best you can, but you're not getting anything less than a high caliber prospect 

Last edited:
I can see the Magic going with Porzingis. A 4 that can shoot eases the burden of having Dipo and Peyton in the back court. zinger has a ridiculously smooth shot.

I'm not sure you can pair him and Vucci Mane defensively though. Porzingis is probably a year or 2 away from having the body of an NBA PF. Pretty wild what he can do at 7'1 though.

not sure how they work defensively, but Zinger would be a good fit on offense. basically a better higher ceiling Channing Frye.

If you don't take WCS because you have Payton and Dipo, can you really take Winslow? 

Mario on paper seems like the logical fit because of his shooting but at the same time, defensively you don't exactly scare anyone with Dipo, Mario and Vuc...

My overall point was, you will get a nice piece either way. Try to make it fit in as best you can, but you're not getting anything less than a high caliber prospect 

I think it has to be Mario or Winslow.

But at least from the Winslow as opposed to WCS, Winslow has a position, and would move Gordon to his natural position, which accomplishes something. Where as WCS would just end up moving someone else out of position.

With Vuc being your big of the future, I think you gotta pair him with a defensive minded PF

Say you get a stretch 4 and a defensive small forward, I wouldn't be comfortable with that front court defensively. IMO, I think it makes more sense to draft a shooter at the 3.. not sure what they think about Tobias though, which goes back to my original post

Plus, out of the 4: Porzingis, Winslow, Mario and WCS, I'm least comfortable with Porzingis. Just from what I see on tape of Porzingis

Honestly if Gordon doesn't workout, I feel like he has value and could be moved

Last edited:
Willy Trill is a tough sell for the magic. Vucevic is probably one of their 2-3 proven players and pieces moving forward. Is a he a center you want on a contending team? Maybe not. Maybe you sell high and draft WCS. I don't see the point of trying to fit Vuc at the 4 though. His biggest advantage is pulling slower centers away from the basket. That gets neutralized at 4 somewhat. Orlando should be trying to hit a home run though. High ceiling type guy. They're missing a star type player. So maybe they ignore fit or possible spacing issues and just go BPA.

Willy Trill is a tough sell for the magic. Vucevic is probably one of their 2-3 proven players and pieces moving forward. Is a he a center you want on a contending team? Maybe not. Maybe you sell high and draft WCS. I don't see the point of trying to fit Vuc at the 4 though. His biggest advantage is pulling slower centers away from the basket. That gets neutralized at 4 somewhat. Orlando should be trying to hit a home run though. High ceiling type guy. They're missing a star type player. So maybe they ignore fit or possible spacing issues and just go BPA.
BPA would be..... 
nerd.gif

With Vuc being your big of the future, I think you gotta pair him with a defensive minded PF

Say you get a stretch 4 and a defensive small forward, I wouldn't be comfortable with that front court defensively. IMO, I think it makes more sense to draft a shooter at the 3.. not sure what they think about Tobias though, which goes back to my original post

Plus, out of the 4: Porzingis, Winslow, Mario and WCS, I'm least comfortable with Porzingis. Just from what I see on tape of Porzingis

Honestly if Gordon doesn't workout, I feel like he has value and could be moved

Dude has a ton of major bust red flags. Weak body, avoids contact, poor passer, not a great feel for the game. The feel for the game and passing stuff sticks out most in my mind. I'm rooting for him tho. 7'1 pure shooter with deep who tries to dunk everything and produced in Europe at 19.

BPA would be..... :nerd:

Make them play an Odds and Evens Tournament?

Back
Top Bottom