The Bicycle Thread

Any advice on a good beginner, budget friendly road bike? I’m trying to join my friend biking around Manhattan

forgot to post
went on my longest ride 2 weeks ago
DTLB to DTLA
48.87 RT

Attachments

• 070E5281-71E0-40C2-813D-D7CE6D44DE12.jpeg
    070E5281-71E0-40C2-813D-D7CE6D44DE12.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 93
I know it’s spring but I ordered a new winter/wet bike a few days ago.

I’ve had the same Trek aluminum bike for over 13 years - but ship of Theseus style it’s almost all been changed, just the frame and shifters are left - and it’s getting pretty worn out. It started as my best bike but now I use it in the wet. It has fenders but the clearance is really tight.

We have this thing in the UK where you can buy a bike through your employer - it’s to encourage cycling, the employer gets a tax write/off, and it comes off your salary before tax - so a significant saving.

I was about to hit the button on a frame up to the old limit of £1000 (and then use my current wheels and buy a new group set) until I noticed you can now do up to £4k and spread it over 2 years instead of 1.

So I upgraded to something which is perfect - titanium, threaded BB, fittings for proper fenders, space for decent tyres with fenders, Shimano 105 which is nice but not too nice… It’s within a couple mm of the shape of my other bikes which fit well too.

Can’t wait - said will be a few weeks until it comes.

The only thing not great is that it comes with lower end Mavic wheels - but I have a spare set of wheels that are okay so I’m going to use them for now and sell those brand new to put towards something better - I like the durability of handbuilt and 32 spokes for that type of bike.

Will look like this (but with a black seatpost and a black Brooks saddle):

1650648818723.png

2022-05-11 13.52.14.jpg

New bike just arrived. Will be a few days before I can get out on it - need to change the saddle and check the bolts - seems well put together but I'll want to have a quick go over it to make sure.

Going to have to come into work tonight to get the huge box out the way too.

2022-05-11 13.52.14.jpg

New bike just arrived. Will be a few days before I can get out on it - need to change the saddle and check the bolts - seems well put together but I'll want to have a quick go over it to make sure.

Going to have to come into work tonight to get the huge box out the way too.
Looking good! I have always wanted a Ti bike! Gotta report back on the comfort!

Did you purposely go for rim brakes? Or was it just a price thing?

Looking good! I have always wanted a Ti bike! Gotta report back on the comfort!

Did you purposely go for rim brakes? Or was it just a price thing?

Yeah, I’m still not sure about discs on road bikes - I have them on my single speed cross bike that I use for commuting in filthy weather - but most of the time they’re just not necessary on road.

The main reason is wheels though - I have a few sets which I can use with this and if they were disc I wouldn’t have that option.

These are deep drop brakes so I can get at least 25mm tires under mudguards - the disc version does have a little more space though.

I’ll be interested to see what the comfort is like - it’s replacing an alloy frame with narrower tires so I’m hoping for improvement.

Yeah, I’m still not sure about discs on road bikes - I have them on my single speed cross bike that I use for commuting in filthy weather - but most of the time they’re just not necessary on road.

The main reason is wheels though - I have a few sets which I can use with this and if they were disc I wouldn’t have that option.

These are deep drop brakes so I can get at least 25mm tires under mudguards - the disc version does have a little more space though.

I’ll be interested to see what the comfort is like - it’s replacing an alloy frame with narrower tires so I’m hoping for improvement.
Makes sense. Having multiple compatible wheel sets its always great.

Larger tires and frame material I am sure you will see an improvement in comfort. But bike fit is just as important which it sounds like you have that down. Thats awesome man enjoy! Love new bike day haha

First long ride of the season, halfway home and I hear a loud pop.... The sidewall on my wheel broke open. The wheel is done, but at least I didn't crash.

Debating between replacing it with a similar used wheel off ebay or breaking the bank for something new.

For now I'm stuck with no bike at the start of biking season. This is why I should have a second bike.

GETTING BACK INTO CYCLING.

PICKINGS ARE SLIM FOR GUYS LIKE ME WHO NEED A XXL BIKE, AN ENTRY LEVEL BIKE AT THAT.

ORDERED THIS YESTERDAY, SATISFIED WITH MY CHOICE.

5BCE5FD2-9E92-433A-9148-4D9528B9CDA2.jpeg

I had a Rockhopper a few years ago - great choice. It's the sweetspot for value with Specialized.

One of my kids has a vintage Rockhopper FSR that I really like too - I don't think he's ever ridden it since I got it for him a few years ago. Probably too small for him now as he's taller than me - I fancy it as my going to the shops bike so I think I might take it back...

Loving them. They hold speed really well and are light. They perform as well as 2x priced zipp. Can’t beat the value.

Ride I did on Saturday over the holiday weekend.

E0C1D5FF-CD5E-4841-B5AB-4B416402A917.jpeg

C95EC88C-77EB-4DB3-ABE7-0D9ACD92C8A2.jpeg
Dude. Impressive ride. Definitely a mountain I'd love to climb. How was the traffic on the way up? Did you feel at any points the road was too narrow. I've done a few of the San Diego mountain rides and it can get a bit sketch, but for the most part you have some room.

what’s the census on these? Does anyone own a pair? Also what pedals work with these? I’m in the market for new pedals and I’m somewhat of a newb on bike parts.

75123536-E496-4D57-BE95-0D9AFDEC0345.jpeg
So my friend has a pair of these and he uses them for light rides. Quick trips to the brewery or to the store. Gives you the clip in but lets you walk around when you get to your destination. I wouldn't recommend doing long intense rides in them, but a great commuter shoe. I'm looking to cop a pair down the road.

Anyone need? Have an almost like new with original box. Retail was $250+tax, selling for $150 shipped. Smith Ignite MIPS, size medium.

If the price seems off drop me a message and we can work something out.

Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 10.51.03 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom