The Bicycle Thread

Almost copped this but had to cancel because couldn't confirm what their frame sizing translates to after endless research. Hell of a lot of bike for 850 though, thinking about it should have still bought and flipped.

You aint lyin. You get a lot of good components

Took a ride in Jersey City this last Sunday.

F0C537F1-A396-46BC-B13E-0230B3B66966.jpeg
99778E9F-C6A2-435B-977C-A9CE82919C7F.jpeg
6D75D7E6-44F7-4968-9286-23B3B6F7A211.jpeg
551765C4-2996-48BC-AE99-D6B8A2D3C850.jpeg
Nice, that’s my city lol looks like Liberty state park.

Almost copped this but had to cancel because couldn't confirm what their frame sizing translates to after endless research. Hell of a lot of bike for 850 though, thinking about it should have still bought and flipped.

what’s confusing? it says 52&49 cm

It's not a true 52cm like most road bikes i've researched so far, found that model on bikesdirect and the 52cm was recommended for folks 5'11 and up, and the seat post length seems to match that. Even so the 19/20/21 model each had different sizing and geometry. Would have stuck with it but already had an entry level cannondale optimo claris 54cm on the way and don't really know what I like yet, so i'll likely stick with that for now and move it next year.

5'8, 54cm seems just right but would still rock a 52/53. Had an older schwinn 55 and it was too close for comfort. I could really ride anything but I figure for the money may as well be comfy.

I am 5’8 and 53mm is perfect for me. I like aero frames so with some shoes, the top bar is right above my crotch if I am standing at say a light. Oddly though, my seat post is super low which means me legs must just not be long. I still wonder if I should get a professional to measure me for a bike. I feel fine with what I have but wonder if it can be better.

Yeah i'll do all that when I get a better bike next year. Plus checked some local bike shop reviews and the similar theme was snobby which i'm in no mood for at the moment.

I should probably be asking or looking in a bike forum, but does anybody know the difference between the two Shimano dura ace track cranks? I'm talking about the 7710 and the 7600, they look identical.

After I upgrade the saddle and seatpost, i want a proper track crankset. The one i have on right now is fine, but it's 130bcd with a 3/32 wide chainring.

And there are PLENTY; damn near all.
yea no doubt. especially in the bay area. not going to lie, i've had much better luck here in Portland. When I moved here, I knew there was a big bike scene, so I figured it would be much of the same.

A lot of the small shops here though are A+

yea no doubt. especially in the bay area. not going to lie, i've had much better luck here in Portland. When I moved here, I knew there was a big bike scene, so I figured it would be much of the same.

A lot of the small shops here though are A+
found a nice shop thats not snobby

this is how i test them
when i ask for a tube and they say schrader or presta i say the skinny one
if they respond nicely then i know they cool :lol:

found a nice shop thats not snobby

this is how i test them
when i ask for a tube and they say schrader or presta i say the skinny one
if they respond nicely then i know they cool :lol:
haha man, I do similar. its probably the number one question they get asked. so if they have the patience for that, then you money.

I got the best service by far at a bike shop that fixes up old bikes and provides them to the community at good prices.

I just needed a flat fixed but they took a look at the whole bike and gave me some tips. And barely charged anything for the repair.

I hate snobby shops. Don’t deserve business.
some employees just hate their job. my friend got a sales associate that was cool. but we seen a father and son try to buy bikes and the sales person basically blew them off. she was asking too many specific questions using bike terminology they didn't know about. then when they agreed on something she just said oh yeah we don't have anything like that in stock.

some employees just hate their job. my friend got a sales associate that was cool. but we seen a father and son try to buy bikes and the sales person basically blew them off. she was asking too many specific questions using bike terminology they didn't know about. then when they agreed on something she just said oh yeah we don't have anything like that in stock.
yea bruh that type of stuff just irks me so much. The whole bike culture is full of it.

I mainly take my bike to a co-op here where its non-profit and they make you work on your bike, but theyll teach you.

My two shops I go two, its small just the owner and a mechanic or two. So they care about every facet of the shop regardless of who comes in.

cycling got a weird elitists culture, especially at places like mikes bikes or whatever.

some cool stories and things going on in the non-elite cycle world: https://surlybikes.com/blog/realities_of_a_black_man_in_the_bike_world

Much like a lot of these sports where the cost to even get into is beyond peoples means, theres a huge underrepresentation of POC in the cycle community. Tides are turning but theres still a huge gap because cycling has a huge cost.

when i was trying to preorder my mash cinelli i went to like 4 different bike shops in the city. had no
idea it would be that hard to get a ship to take my money. they kept asking me unrelated questions and trying to sell me other bikes that were in stock. luckily my boy in san jose sold me one of his early frames that he got at his shop

Just want to put this out there for the Bay Area peeps. I got my bike at American Cyclery near Haight St and the guys there were super cool. I sort of came in the bike shop thinking I was going to a skate shop for the first time. I flat out told them I am a bike rookie and just sort of flat out asked them dumb questions and they understood fully. They didn't press me to do anything really but gave me a stellar deal on a bike where I just had to pull the trigger.

Also try talking to one of the managers when it comes time to actually purchasing. They tend to have more pull when it comes to offering deals and discounts. Some bike shops like to throw in gear with the purchase of a bike to sweeten the deal. See if they'll at least throw in a helmet or something like that.

Has anyone gotten any deals or additional gear during the pandemic? I just imagine there aren't as much since they're selling like hotcakes.

One thing to look out for is a shop that offers a free fitting with the purchase of the bike. That's how you know it's more than just a sale. The shop actually cares about your riding experience.

in the market for a mountain bike
just looking for something to start off with
ive looked at GT's, Trek and Giant

only thing ive been told is to get something with disc brakes

in the market for a mountain bike
just looking for something to start off with
ive looked at GT's, Trek and Giant

only thing ive been told is to get something with disc brakes
- So right off the bat, how much are you thinking of spending? What are you thinking right now?

- Do you know if you want full suspension or not?

- It's either disk brakes or rim brakes. Rim brakes can save you a few bucks, but the performance of disc is definitely better, especially for a MTB. When you're on trails, with small pebbles and sticks and stuff, they can get wedged into the arms of rim brakes, plus the rubber pads on rim brakes shrink and swell with the weather, where rim brakes are all ceramic and steel.

I should probably be asking or looking in a bike forum, but does anybody know the difference between the two Shimano dura ace track cranks? I'm talking about the 7710 and the 7600, they look identical.

After I upgrade the saddle and seatpost, i want a proper track crankset. The one i have on right now is fine, but it's 130bcd with a 3/32 wide chainring.

The 7710 fits an Octalink BB and the 7600 is regular square taper.

Octalink was a Shimano design a while ago - basically obsolete. While the attachment is okay they do have to be checked to make sure the cranks don’t get loose. I think the main problem was longevity because the spindle is quite wide and due to space the bearings are quite small.

Square taper is more reliable and much easier to get BBs.

Other than that they’re basically the same so I would get a 7600 if you're choosing.

Think I gotta build my bike from scratch. Probably start with the components and save the frame for last. I'll just buy what I can, when I can.

Back
Top Bottom