The Bicycle Thread

Think I gotta build my bike from scratch. Probably start with the components and save the frame for last. I'll just buy what I can, when I can.
why is that -- saving money? or like to put it together yourself?

do you want parts new or used?

Anyone know where I can get a 26" Tuesday Cruiser? Mainly looking for the olive

why is that -- saving money? or like to put it together yourself?

do you want parts new or used?
I was gonna order it built but the shop I went to sold out in my size. Only frames left. Regardless of getting it already built I was gonna slowly switch stuff out. But this way I can just do what I envisioned from the jump. Not mechanically inclined so it's gonna be funny trying this out.

My thinking is if I buy the parts knowing the frame I want, I can buy the frame last on a discount. Worse case scenario if the frames sells out I can buy the newer model when it releases and still have the parts ready

I'd like to get everything new too

Man I was super out of touch with road bikes because this joint feels a quarter the weight of my old schwinn, and it's the supposed entry level. Damn, i'm good for now.
IMG_20200813_155910.jpg

- So right off the bat, how much are you thinking of spending? What are you thinking right now?

- Do you know if you want full suspension or not?

- It's either disk brakes or rim brakes. Rim brakes can save you a few bucks, but the performance of disc is definitely better, especially for a MTB. When you're on trails, with small pebbles and sticks and stuff, they can get wedged into the arms of rim brakes, plus the rubber pads on rim brakes shrink and swell with the weather, where rim brakes are all ceramic and steel.
4-500
might lean towards a used bike

- So right off the bat, how much are you thinking of spending? What are you thinking right now?

- Do you know if you want full suspension or not?

- It's either disk brakes or rim brakes. Rim brakes can save you a few bucks, but the performance of disc is definitely better, especially for a MTB. When you're on trails, with small pebbles and sticks and stuff, they can get wedged into the arms of rim brakes, plus the rubber pads on rim brakes shrink and swell with the weather, where rim brakes are all ceramic and steel.
Nobody buys MTB:s with rim brakes. They dont even make them anymore :D

God forbid you bring a Walmart bike to one of these small bike shops. They’ll remind you every chance they get. Oh I can’t do this because you know........it’s a Walmart bike. Real snobby elitist.

Nobody buys MTB:s with rim brakes. They dont even make them anymore :D
"Nobody buys rim brake MTBs" and "They don't make them" are 2 completely different things. If someone wants rim brakes and their budget is outside of the range of what a new bike would be, they can buy a really good used bike with rim brakes.

But that's beside the point anyway, because yes, there are new bikes still being made with rim brakes. On the lower end of a new bike price range, yes, and usually less durable, but to say they don't make them is inaccurate.

God forbid you bring a Walmart bike to one of these small bike shops.
Yes, there are definitely pretentious shops that just don't want to deal with department store bikes in general, for sure.

But...

There are also a crap ton of people that come in with huge problems like "It's loose when I pedal" or "The back wheel is all wobbly." When you tell them "Your bottom bracket is broken and needs to be replaced, which will be anywhere from $40 to $60 in parts and labor," or "Your rear hub is loose, and it's at least $10 to get that wheel off and tightened, and that's if the bearings in the hub aren't broken," then they cuss YOU out. "Man, eff that. You MFers expect me to pay another $60? I barely bought it a couple months ago for $75."

It's... frustrating. I've told customers before "I don't expect you to do anything. I'm just telling you what the problem is and what it's going to cost." And then it turns into a back and forth that goes nowhere and is just a frustrating waste of time. "I thought it would be like $5 to fix it. I can't do $60 for a bottom... whatever you said. Can you all just tighten it for like $5?" Of course not. It's... broken... internally. It was made with crap parts so you could buy it for $75 and think you're getting a steal.

Yes, there are definitely pretentious shops that just don't want to deal with department store bikes in general, for sure.

But...

There are also a crap ton of people that come in with huge problems like "It's loose when I pedal" or "The back wheel is all wobbly." When you tell them "Your bottom bracket is broken and needs to be replaced, which will be anywhere from $40 to $60 in parts and labor," or "Your rear hub is loose, and it's at least $10 to get that wheel off and tightened, and that's if the bearings in the hub aren't broken," then they cuss YOU out. "Man, eff that. You MFers expect me to pay another $60? I barely bought it a couple months ago for $75."

It's... frustrating. I've told customers before "I don't expect you to do anything. I'm just telling you what the problem is and what it's going to cost." And then it turns into a back and forth that goes nowhere and is just a frustrating waste of time. "I thought it would be like $5 to fix it. I can't do $60 for a bottom... whatever you said. Can you all just tighten it for like $5?" Of course not. It's... broken... internally. It was made with crap parts so you could buy it for $75 and think you're getting a steal.
Cant deny this aspect of it as well. Theres definitely a lack of frustration that I can see due to lack of knowledge. Some customers just like to argue as well, without any intent of a conclusion.

The 7710 fits an Octalink BB and the 7600 is regular square taper.

Octalink was a Shimano design a while ago - basically obsolete. While the attachment is okay they do have to be checked to make sure the cranks don’t get loose. I think the main problem was longevity because the spindle is quite wide and due to space the bearings are quite small.

Square taper is more reliable and much easier to get BBs.

Other than that they’re basically the same so I would get a 7600 if you're choosing.

Wow man, this post was super informative. I appreciate that man. Now i wonder if the 7710 chainring would fit on the 7600 cranks, i like the aesthetics of the small cutouts where they get bolted down. 🥴

dsc_3744.jpg

So to add into this buying mood I am in, anyone recommend any online bike shops for just general things like parts, apparel, etc?

In the Bay Area, we have Mash SF (https://www.mashsf.com) which I've bought pedals, toe clips, bar tape and other components from them. I like supporting any local business even if they aren't in my area so any suggestions would be cool. There is also a guy here in Oakland has a shop that he sells some miscellaneous stuff through a brand called Deluxe Cycles: https://deluxe-cycles.myshopify.com.

It’ll work, both are 144bcd.

thank you man, think i'm gonna cop the chainring and crankset(in good condition) used and the bottom bracket new

So to add into this buying mood I am in, anyone recommend any online bike shops for just general things like parts, apparel, etc?

In the Bay Area, we have Mash SF (https://www.mashsf.com) which I've bought pedals, toe clips, bar tape and other components from them. I like supporting any local business even if they aren't in my area so any suggestions would be cool. There is also a guy here in Oakland has a shop that he sells some miscellaneous stuff through a brand called Deluxe Cycles: https://deluxe-cycles.myshopify.com.

yea, i know about both....my toe clips are from Mash and i was gonna cop a Deluxe chainring but then i seen how insanely expensive they are :wow:

i've posted these sites before

retrogression
velomine
city grounds

are there any good handlheld airshock/ tire pump combos yall have used?

if ima buy an air shock would prefer one that does both that i can carry maybe

Just got some new continental gatorskins for my old 2010 Bianchi Pista. Pretty much fixed this bike in better condition just for the heck of it. Did my first tire change ever and can't say it was fun. Also got new Mash bar tape, new saddle from Fabric, and MKS x Mash toe clips and peddles. Only thing I want left is a Quadlock setup for my phone and perhaps lights for the front and back of the bike.

3F49AE7D-DA17-4B2D-B296-68DD81F6BD00.jpeg

Last edited:
I got merked yesterday. Took the largest chainring to the back of my knee. Put a nasty hole in my flesh...Wasn’t even riding was just leaning on the bike on the sidewalk and the front wheel Slid out sideways or something, I tried to hold to the bike from the top tube and it slipped under me, I felt a sharp cut and then blood everywhere
08DAB252-2E5A-462B-9430-827BFC5DFC83.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom