The Bicycle Thread

I went full Italian and for a Kask Mojito helmet. The strap is oddly nice with it being leather and it is a MIPS helmet too. Highly recommended but the helmet is about $100 depending if you can get a deal. Heard though there should be a new Mojito helmet coming out so could even be cheaper in the long run.

Yes, the Mojito X was the second generation and now the third generation just released called the Mojito³ (cubed).

How long did it take for it to get to you from bike inn? I ordered around July 25th, it got dispatched on the 28th, and it's been sitting in customs since Aug 4th :stoneface:

I getting impatient and i'm about to open up a case with paypal

Yes, the Mojito X was the second generation and now the third generation just released called the Mojito³ (cubed).

How long did it take for it to get to you from bike inn? I ordered around July 25th, it got dispatched on the 28th, and it's been sitting in customs since Aug 4th :stoneface:

I getting impatient and i'm about to open up a case with paypal
I think it took close to a month. If i can do it over again, I would of paid more to get it faster. I got it for like $131 shipped from Bike Inn which isn’t a steal but I wanted the matte black. Definitely complain if you can. It’s worth a shot but they’ll probably just give you some COVID answer.

I think it took close to a month. If i can do it over again, I would of paid more to get it faster. I got it for like $131 shipped from Bike Inn which isn’t a steal but I wanted the matte black. Definitely complain if you can. It’s worth a shot but they’ll probably just give you some COVID answer.

A month?!!! :sick: :smh:

Bruh...i don't remember if there was a faster shipping option during checkout. But i do remember the estimated arrival date was something like 7 days. I think i paid $116 for mine, it's coming from Spain.

Anyone have any recommendations for a saddle bag fix it kit? Or are the ones on Amazon sufficient?

Figured I should buy something now than later in case I get stranded somewhere with a flat.

Any recs on a good helmet for the casual street ride?

I got dreads so trying to find one that fits has been a nightmare. Need a xxl

yall remember these helmets?

for motorcycles but still :lol:

1597770173067.png

For those looking for a helmet. I have the first version of this, but specialized just released these today it seems. Great bang for your buck and is equipped with MIPS.

What are the advantages of carbon wheels aside from weight?

They’re less heavy!

Seriously though because of that you can use more material so be more aero at the same weight (only really useful past about 20mph).

You didn’t ask but the main drawback is that braking is much worse in the wet.

i messed up, the continental tubes i copped arent deep enough for the carbon wheels so i reused the old tubes with the new tires
61950269694__6088D77D-0D55-461E-873D-085DF65699C0.jpeg

You also forgot to line up the tire logo with the valves!

2 reasons for that - attention to detail and the practical reason is that you can then match up where a hole in a tube is with a spot on the tire and check for a foreign object more easily than searching the whole tire.

darthska darthska - thanks for the recommendation on those pedals and I'll look into them.

MakeNTGreatAgain MakeNTGreatAgain - thanks for the link on those. I actually might rock with the pedals I have now cause I think they are metal.

Okay now onto my issue... replacing my inner tube on my 29er MTB.

I'm trying to get the exact same size tube listed on the inner tube itself but no luck. I'm finding tubes close in size though so just wondering if does it matter if it is not the exact same size that I'll be replacing. Looks like these are the OEM tubes that came with the bike or something.

Pics... sorry my apartment is kind of in a mess because we are cleaning up and overhaul.

20200819_000125.jpg

20200818_235951.jpg

20200819_000049.jpg

I'm trying to get the exact same size tube listed on the inner tube itself but no luck. I'm finding tubes close in size though so just wondering if does it matter if it is not the exact same size that I'll be replacing. Looks like these are the OEM tubes that came with the bike or something.
Nope, those aren't the tubes that came with the bike. Giant makes tubes and tires, so new Giant bikes definitely have Giant tubes in them.

As far as the sizing, you definitely want to stay in that range that you see on the tube. Your tire is 2.1, so you really shouldn't go smaller than 1.9, and I wouldn't go bigger than 2.25. I know the tube says 2.35 on the high end, but I wouldn't go higher than 2.25, and even that's a little high. You don't want your tubes too big, because it will get bunched up inside the tire and hard to fully inflate. Smaller than the regular tire size, like a 1.9 tube in your 2.10 tire, at least the tube can stretch out a little to fit in the tire. Not ideal, but fine. But too big? Wouldn't recommend.

Honest question, since I’ve been too broke to ever find out lol.
What are the advantages of carbon wheels aside from weight?

acceleration feels faster than my aluminum bike

but one thing is i get more weary when braking hard downhill because i get paranoid about putting too much heat into the carbon as from what ive read too much heat can cause carbon failure. so i brake hard and fast instead of slow and steady like i do on my aluminum.

They’re less heavy!

Seriously though because of that you can use more material so be more aero at the same weight (only really useful past about 20mph).

luckily rarely rains out here and when it does i never ride bikes, drivers in LA cannot be trusted in wet weather
You also forgot to line up the tire logo with the valves!

2 reasons for that - attention to detail and the practical reason is that you can then match up where a hole in a tube is with a spot on the tire and check for a foreign object more easily than searching the whole tire.

hmm good tip, im SUPER BAD at checking for details :lol:

will keep that in mind for next time ty fam

what should I expect to pay for a beginner level road bike? and if someone could steer me in the right direction

I actually had a fixed gear road bike that I could work off of if I could find it but it's not longer in my parents garage so I don't know if my brother sold it or what happened

i bought my first road bike, steel for like 250 bucks 8 ish years ago. if you look hard enough u can find something in your budget

there are offering for every budget in my opinion.

They’re less heavy!

The aero makes sense. And yea I have heard about the braking. I think ill stick to what I have for now. Mainly asking for my old steel roadie that I have been bringing into the modern times, so it only has rim brake options.

Carbon wheels seem like the move especially with some disc brakes. One day lol. Gotta get my gravel bike first.

The aero makes sense. And yea I have heard about the braking. I think ill stick to what I have for now. Mainly asking for my old steel roadie that I have been bringing into the modern times, so it only has rim brake options.

Carbon wheels seem like the move especially with some disc brakes. One day lol. Gotta get my gravel bike first.

alot of carbon wheels / bikes still use wheel brakes like mines

i think wheel breaks are lighter than disk and its less rotational weight too

My track bike is mostly aluminum and my road bike is mostly carbon and I will say, I totally prefer the carbon bike over the aluminum one. I know weight is mostly convenience if anything but man, it's just nice to hold and carry a carbon bike over anything else. The only thing is you have to pay significantly more for it.

Back
Top Bottom