The Bicycle Thread

bianchi pista is a great starter bike man. Nothing wrong with goin used if its just a single speed. you can get one for under 300 easy. Also I don't know where you're from but if you live in a bike heavy place its not a bad idea to find a super beat older bike at a garage sale and just scrap everything but the frame. buy the parts you want at the local bike shop, doesn't get too spendy for a single speed. just my 2 cents
Thanks for the suggestions. I live in San Francisco, so I'll definitely look around at garage sales and local shops to see what they have to offer. 

If you're looking for something that looks good at a decent price just get some velocity deep Vs. get the front laced radially and it'll look clean.

What do you mean get the front laced racially. Sorry I am newb. And can u also recommend me some good seats and a goof bull horn handlebar

Last edited:
Radially means the spoke goes straight from the hub to the rim - they don't cross over.

They'll be crap wheels though - heavy and unreliable.

There's no such thing as a good seat - different seats suit different people. I find the Specialized BG range very comfortable. Some models come in different widths so you can choose the appropriate one.

I had good Syntace bullhorns a few years ago - cheap, light and comfy.

photo.jpg

I received this bicycle as compensation for writing an essay for a fellow classmate. It is a Mongoose bike with 29 inch tires and it is single gear. It looks cool, but I'm sure its not the best quality bike. My question to you guys is will this bike serve me well riding to and between classes over the summer, or am I better off getting a better bike? thanks in advance

photo.jpg

I received this bicycle as compensation for writing an essay for a fellow classmate. It is a Mongoose bike with 29 inch tires and it is single gear. It looks cool, but I'm sure its not the best quality bike. My question to you guys is will this bike serve me well riding to and between classes over the summer, or am I better off getting a better bike? thanks in advance

how big is your campus that you need a good bike to travel between classes? :lol:

Lol got hit by a car while cruising on my bike today

Lol? :lol:

storytime.

Probably gonna get a bike to commute from my apartment to school.

I'll only be going about 3-4 miles roundtrip per day. On pavement.

What is considered regular maintenance for a bicycle?

How do I know if I fit properly on the bike or not? I know about obvious discomfort, but what's considered the "proper" fit in the bike world?

I think I just need to go to a bike shop, but i'm more concerned with what I need to do to maintain the bike.

Probably gonna get a bike to commute from my apartment to school.

I'll only be going about 3-4 miles roundtrip per day. On pavement.

What is considered regular maintenance for a bicycle?

How do I know if I fit properly on the bike or not? I know about obvious discomfort, but what's considered the "proper" fit in the bike world?

I think I just need to go to a bike shop, but i'm more concerned with what I need to do to maintain the bike.

I would go to a shop for fit. As far as maintenance goes, riding 3-4 miles roundtrip daily you won't really need to do much if anything. You can lube the chain every 200 miles or so but other than that that's really all you need to do. Since you're gonna commute you can bring a couple extra tubes with you and a small pump or c02 cartridge with you in case you get a flat. I ride my bike several thousand miles a year and i don't do much, just lube the chain and swap the chain when it needs it, usually that's at the 4,000 mile mark or so.

Hello bike gurus,

any experience with Bikesdirect.com ?

Thanks in advance

I bought a fixie from them four years ago, bike was fine, it was basically a gateway bike for me to get into cycling. I sold it on craigslist a year or so after buying it. What do you want to know about them exactly? Customer service, bike quality, etc?

Hello bike gurus,

any experience with Bikesdirect.com ?

Thanks in advance

It's fine. You get what you pay for but you can add parts to make it a better build. If you are into this stuff, you will eventually sell it and get a better one but if it is just for daily simple use, best bang for your buck.

I bought a fixie from them four years ago, bike was fine, it was basically a gateway bike for me to get into cycling. I sold it on craigslist a year or so after buying it. What do you want to know about them exactly? Customer service, bike quality, etc?
Mercie Kilo TT?
i found a nice bianchi bike on campus so i stole it how much can i sell it for?
:stoneface:

Last edited:

I'm looking to purchase a road bike from them around the $300-$400 range, just to get me started again. I rode my uncles Marin hybrid bike during all throughout July 4th weekend and I decided to rekindle the passion again. I like the drop bars on road bikes and the more compact sporty look. (Rode bikes alot during younger years). I'd like to know how bike quality is. I already know my sz (went to a local LBS). I know there are diff fittings for diff bikes so I'm just browsing around for now.

It's fine. You get what you pay for but you can add parts to make it a better build. If you are into this stuff, you will eventually sell it and get a better one but if it is just for daily simple use, best bang for your buck.

That's definitely what I will be doing. Building this bike for daily use, until I get something high end. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mercie Kilo TT?

Yes sir, got into the fixie craze when it was really high. Had a huge scene here in LA and it was pretty fun going on night rides. I started to love riding and sold it for a road bike.

I'm looking to purchase a road bike from them around the $300-$400 range, just to get me started again. I rode my uncles Marin hybrid bike during all throughout July 4th weekend and I decided to rekindle the passion again. I like the drop bars on road bikes and the more compact sporty look. (Rode bikes alot during younger years). I'd like to know how bike quality is. I already know my sz (went to a local LBS). I know there are diff fittings for diff bikes so I'm just browsing around for now.
That's definitely what I will be doing. Building this bike for daily use, until I get something high end. Thanks!

Quality is decent, like Mr FongStarr said, you get what you pay for. if it's something just to get you started go for it. If you live in a big city that has an active craigslist for bikes you should have no issues selling it once you upgrade to something else. Exactly what i did.

Back
Top Bottom