The Bicycle Thread

Oooooh, that would be tough to find. 😬 I just got lucky about a month ago when I was selling my son's old gravel bike because he has grown. It was a men's S, and I thought I'd be sitting on it forever but it sold in a couple weeks. The bike shop I work at where I sold it, we usually sit on used men's Smalls forever.

Some nice whips in here. 👍

I have a handful of bikes, but this is my fave. Santa Cruz Stigmata that I built from the frame up myself. It's never finished.

IMG_20200326_173234.jpg

Just picked up a vintage Trek - 88 Elance, with a steel 531 frame. Looking forward to getting out there and hitting the pavement

Do you guys know where i can get a bike repair stand? I don't feel like ordering online and waiting for it to be shipped. I'm not sure if a local bike shop would have one available.

I need to order a nice seat. Default one is killing my cheeks pause

anyone have any recs? Cloud 9 looks nice

Ordered my bike which should arrive in late July :frown:

I've been buying all of the add one and upgrades now so it's a go when it arrives.

In terms of saddles, Brooks seems to be the standard.

Bike stands: bike shops will have them

Seat: I run specialized power saddles on all my bikes. More important than brand or model is getting a size that fits your sit bones. Just like clothes and shoes, getting the wrong size makes great products suck. If you are male, look for a seat with a relief channel so your boys don't numb out.

Ordered my bike which should arrive in late July :frown:

I've been buying all of the add one and upgrades now so it's a go when it arrives.

In terms of saddles, Brooks seems to be the standard.

Brooks are good - if the shape suits you. There are a couple of downsides - the main one is that they are heavy - about twice a modern saddle - and they aren't great in bad weather - you definitely can't leave it outside in the rain.

I've got a B17 on 2 of my bikes. I got the brown one first and it was comfy straightaway - but it was quite soft and when I got a black one it was like a rock but the advantage of that is that once you break it in they are supposed to be really comfortable. I'm not sure that the brown one is right and with time it won't be as good so I might get another one. I haven't got enough miles on the other one yet to know what it will be like.

Brooks are good - if the shape suits you. There are a couple of downsides - the main one is that they are heavy - about twice a modern saddle - and they aren't great in bad weather - you definitely can't leave it outside in the rain.

I've got a B17 on 2 of my bikes. I got the brown one first and it was comfy straightaway - but it was quite soft and when I got a black one it was like a rock but the advantage of that is that once you break it in they are supposed to be really comfortable. I'm not sure that the brown one is right and with time it won't be as good so I might get another one. I haven't got enough miles on the other one yet to know what it will be like.
Are you talking about the leather ones?

I’ve read that they’re super comfortable after the break in. I was looking into the cambium saddles which are A different material.

Yeah, when I hear Brooks I think leather.

The Cambium range gets a good name - but I don’t really see the point - the thick rubber top won’t be comfy like broken in leather and the shape doesn’t look as good as some other brands - like we’ve said already that’s a personal thing so it may work for you.

I've been very happy with my Selle Italia saddle but again, it just comes down to personal preference and what fits you best.

I finally completed building my bike yesterday and i was too anxious to go for a ride and of course with my terrible luck i got into an accident. I was riding in the bike lane on a major residential avenue and this truck is turning into his driveway and did not see me. I'm ok but my bike took most of the damage, my front wheel is out of alignment and i hope it can get trued easily.

What are my options out there for foot straps? I'm running MKS Sylvan track pedals and i've read that straps like the hold fast frs won't fit.

Back
Top Bottom