The Bicycle Thread

Got a carbon wheelset. Went with ~35mm due to where and how I ride. I will probably invest in some deeper dishes in the future.

Does anyone else run the GP5000? Are they always this hard to put on? Definitely the hardest tire ive put on, Did it by hand but not without a struggle. Could be because the wheels have a shallow channel

Pretty much done with everything I want to do. Pluses would just be Carbon Drops, Carbon Stem, and a wahoo.

IMG_4874.jpeg
Yep installed a couple pairs of those i have a spray bottle with soap and water and soak and its super helpful to get them on

2017 yz250f picked it up at the beginning of quarantine for $2600

oh thats a sweet bike post a pic!!
Where do you ride?
That’s an insane deal homie! Those Yamahas are fantastic machines, but especially in the past 5 years.

Yeah it’s a rare California plated 350sxf. Fast as heck. It’s currently in street trim, complete supermoto with brake set up, tune and all. Just enough to be street compliant and track ready in under 5 minutes. Dirt ready in under 25. I needed it to be able to attack all types of terrain on the fly, that was the basis behind this build.
Picture is from the inaugural street ride. More or less the same excluding the brakes.
E18698B3-8234-4E96-A121-DD6C3C315BCB.jpeg

My dalliance with Speedplay pedals is maybe over. I like the float and the double sided entry is a bonus but as much as I like fiddling with bike stuff I can’t take the creaking unless I strip and clean the cleats every week.
I found that you can get 3 hole adaptors to move the cleats further back (that’s really why I changed - I have wonky bio mechanics and always feel I need my cleats further back) so I ordered a set and just fitted them.
I slammed them all the way back just to see how it works. The screws in the black plate are the most rearward position of my shoes so you can see the difference. Maybe too much but I’ll see how it feels once this snow melts.
B49D8686-F4FC-4362-888D-BEC4CF32FE18.jpeg

My only problem now is how to do something similar to my ‘cross bikes - they have SPDs and I can’t work out how to push them back.

That’s an insane deal homie! Those Yamahas are fantastic machines, but especially in the past 5 years.

Yeah it’s a rare California plated 350sxf. Fast as heck. It’s currently in street trim, complete supermoto with brake set up, tune and all. Just enough to be street compliant and track ready in under 5 minutes. Dirt ready in under 25. I needed it to be able to attack all types of terrain on the fly, that was the basis behind this build.
Picture is from the inaugural street ride. More or less the same excluding the brakes.
E18698B3-8234-4E96-A121-DD6C3C315BCB.jpeg
If your near socal we should ride sometimes

Oh for sure. We may be hitting SD soon so I’ll let you know. Like wise, if you ever head up to the Bay Area bring your bike, with or without a motor.
Never been riding in SD but sounds good.
Bike is currently getting the fork replaced and should be ready to rip by next week.
Ima hit ur PM

Morning shake down Ride in the new carbon wheels. Gotta say, I was always a steel guy but I think I’m sold on the carbon hype. Aside from it being wet making the breaking questionable on the few down hills I did, carbon everything is the move lol.

also I’m so sick of this BB30 and it’s creaking. Anyone with bb30, have experience with external cop BB that thread together? I think I’ve seen them installed.

C01C5DF0-39B8-4991-9153-4BF55AC70B07.jpeg

5B82D174-C869-4852-A1F7-3D7ECD3A8EF9.jpeg

I hope you didn’t come from steel wheels - those things are treacherous in the wet.

I have a thread together BB to replace a press-fit one and I’ve been pleased with it. Even with Cannondale’s sloppy tolerances it’s been silent for over a year now.

I hope you didn’t come from steel wheels - those things are treacherous in the wet.

I have a thread together BB to replace a press-fit one and I’ve been pleased with it. Even with Cannondale’s sloppy tolerances it’s been silent for over a year now.
Maybe should of stated I came from AL wheels haha.

Did you have BB30? Any chance you remember the brand of the thread together BB? Def want to do it soon. The creaking messes with me. Always thinking something else is wrong.

Maybe should of stated I came from AL wheels haha.

Did you have BB30? Any chance you remember the brand of the thread together BB? Def want to do it soon. The creaking messes with me. Always thinking something else is wrong.

Yeah, it was BB30. You’ve already done the most expensive part which is getting cranks to fit something else - I’m assuming you’ve just got crank adaptors pressed into the bearings. I took mine off when it was brand new and fitted a Shimano one with adaptors because I was expecting this to happen - sold the other one to recoup most of the cost which is easier when it’s new.

I used this one - https://wheelsmfg.com/bb30-to-outbo...-cranks-shimano-w-ceramic-bearings-black.html

Seems decent. The ceramic bearings are a waste of money but I know a guy with a bike shop and he gave me a good deal as he had it sitting there.

The main thing you have to watch with Cannondale is that often there is a machined ridge in the shell which means you can’t use one of the press in threaded adaptors - the ridge stops it going through. That 2 piece type is fine as long as it gets narrower just inside where the cup bits are like that one does

You can easily knock the bearings out carefully with a screwdriver and hammer but you should need a press to get the new BB in. Mine actually went in by hand showing how bad the manufacturing is - but I’ve got away with it because the thread together part has held it tight. If it makes noise my next idea is retaining compound in there to stop it moving at all - been okay so far though.

The other one that gets a good name is C-bear. They press in rather than thread together but are meant to be good. More expensive though.

Yeah, it was BB30. You’ve already done the most expensive part which is getting cranks to fit something else - I’m assuming you’ve just got crank adaptors pressed into the bearings. I took mine off when it was brand new and fitted a Shimano one with adaptors because I was expecting this to happen - sold the other one to recoup most of the cost which is easier when it’s new.

I used this one - https://wheelsmfg.com/bb30-to-outbo...-cranks-shimano-w-ceramic-bearings-black.html

Seems decent. The ceramic bearings are a waste of money but I know a guy with a bike shop and he gave me a good deal as he had it sitting there.

The main thing you have to watch with Cannondale is that often there is a machined ridge in the shell which means you can’t use one of the press in threaded adaptors - the ridge stops it going through. That 2 piece type is fine as long as it gets narrower just inside where the cup bits are like that one does

You can easily knock the bearings out carefully with a screwdriver and hammer but you should need a press to get the new BB in. Mine actually went in by hand showing how bad the manufacturing is - but I’ve got away with it because the thread together part has held it tight. If it makes noise my next idea is retaining compound in there to stop it moving at all - been okay so far though.

The other one that gets a good name is C-bear. They press in rather than thread together but are meant to be good. More expensive though.
Yea right now I actually have the wheels manufacturing adapters and was thinking about getting that outboard bottom bracket. Did you need a press for that? I thought they just thread together with two bottom bracket tools.

I may pull the trigger soon as it’s annoying me. Does the wheels mfg outboard BB have replaceable bearings as well?

Yes, you can replace the bearings - they’re just pressed into the cups.

The instructions say you might need a press -ideally it should be a tight fit to prevent movement, but they say the drive side may go in by hand - mine just fell in like I said.

It looks terrible!

There’s no reason for that much negative rise if you have an inch of spacers. It would look much cleaner with a horizontal stem and no spacers - and the bar position would be practically the same.

:rofl:

Have you seen the stem angles on njs keirin bikes?

Got a carbon wheelset. Went with ~35mm due to where and how I ride. I will probably invest in some deeper dishes in the future.

Does anyone else run the GP5000? Are they always this hard to put on? Definitely the hardest tire ive put on, Did it by hand but not without a struggle. Could be because the wheels have a shallow channel

Pretty much done with everything I want to do. Pluses would just be Carbon Drops, Carbon Stem, and a wahoo.

IMG_4874.jpeg

Seems like the higher end Continental tires are just harder to put on

My dalliance with Speedplay pedals is maybe over. I like the float and the double sided entry is a bonus but as much as I like fiddling with bike stuff I can’t take the creaking unless I strip and clean the cleats every week.
I found that you can get 3 hole adaptors to move the cleats further back (that’s really why I changed - I have wonky bio mechanics and always feel I need my cleats further back) so I ordered a set and just fitted them.
I slammed them all the way back just to see how it works. The screws in the black plate are the most rearward position of my shoes so you can see the difference. Maybe too much but I’ll see how it feels once this snow melts.
B49D8686-F4FC-4362-888D-BEC4CF32FE18.jpeg

My only problem now is how to do something similar to my ‘cross bikes - they have SPDs and I can’t work out how to push them back.

Before you bought your road shoes, did you go into a bike shop and get a proper fit?

IMG_0467.jpeg
Winter is here

From what i remember, you live in Finland right?2

Yes, you can replace the bearings - they’re just pressed into the cups.

The instructions say you might need a press -ideally it should be a tight fit to prevent movement, but they say the drive side may go in by hand - mine just fell in like I said.
Ah I see what you're saying now after looking at it and reading the install. The Female side needs to be pressed in if it doesnt just fall into place.

:rofl:

Have you seen the stem angles on njs keirin bikes?

Seems like the higher end Continental tires are just harder to put on

Before you bought your road shoes, did you go into a bike shop and get a proper fit?

From what i remember, you live in Finland right?2
Yeah.
Snow riding is so much fun. I put studded tire in the front and normal gravel tire in the back. Feels like i'm the drift king :D The front studs help make steering easy but the back gives a little sideways action to have some fun without being overly dangerous.

Yea 14 stacks in a bike makes zero sense to me. Hell 5 stacks makes no sense. But I build all my bikes.

Anyone trying to get these Mash AC-2 frames tomorrow? I know they are just the Mash name but I a biased and think they are dope since they are from the Bay. Unfortunately and fortunately I don't ride my fix at all so don't need the frame but I feel these will sell out asap tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom