The Bicycle Thread

Amazing weather today.

4CAEB796-20CA-4C02-BF22-51E84EC2043D.jpeg

Hoping to get to 2000 miles this year. Barely finished short last year.

D1D0DB32-1A1F-40B6-A393-80DD5832CF49.png

So, I left my bike at the local bike shop for tuneup/maintenance last Monday, and they told me it was going to take a week for them to do the work on it. But they ended up calling me to tell me they finished with it last Friday. It wasn't that bad for it to stay with them for 4 days, at least it wasn't the whole week as originally told to me. I was able to pick it up last Friday before they closed.

I'm glad I got it back because my local trips will be fast on bike again instead of walking. I never realized how fast a bike can get you around locally until I got one almost 2 years ago. Walking really takes time no matter how fast you walk. And I walk pretty fast too. It took me 40 minutes to walk to the bike shop to retrieve my bike.

Not trying to break the bank but contemplating signing up for a 70.3. Honestly just leisurely bike with the family but most of training or biking exercise is limited to the peloton.

Thoughts on a good road bike? Doesn’t have to break the bank and don’t mind used. What should I be looking for in the marketplaces?

anyone suggestions for a womens gravel bike sub 1k, if that's even possible these days

my sister was looking to get one

anyone suggestions for a womens gravel bike sub 1k, if that's even possible these days

my sister was looking to get one

Smaller company, but the Poseidon X. Its about $700? Ships straight to your house. It does have the flared handlebars, aluminum body, carbon fork. Not a fan of micro shift drivetrain though. Would opt for the top stone over this, but for a "budget" bike it gets the job done.

Not trying to break the bank but contemplating signing up for a 70.3. Honestly just leisurely bike with the family but most of training or biking exercise is limited to the peloton.

Thoughts on a good road bike? Doesn’t have to break the bank and don’t mind used. What should I be looking for in the marketplaces?
depends what you want. Lightweight climbing/endurance, or aero/aggressive geometry.

How do y'all cope with wind when riding your road bikes? Even a little bit of wind totally ruins my ride and makes it seem like hell, and it seems to be windy 24/7 here. Maybe I just gotta get used to it :frown:

How do y'all cope with wind when riding your road bikes? Even a little bit of wind totally ruins my ride and makes it seem like hell, and it seems to be windy 24/7 here. Maybe I just gotta get used to it :frown:
I think riding bikes is sort of like playing golf where weather is a factor but you should be able to play/ride in it. I think you just have to figure out different routes or wear different clothes or make any adjustments to make the ride comfortable for you. I think rain is where I draw the line where I live with cars and what not but other than that, I am game for anything else.

I don’t ride when it’s windy, fall or below 48 degrees.

DC can get some scary gusts and a good gust can blown me in the wrong direction.
The leaves on the ground during the fall is like riding on ice,
Below 48 and it’s a miserable ride.

I'm really glad I got a bike now that I realize how much faster I can travel whenever it's a short or local distance as opposed to walking.

Just something to get the 56 miles done lol. Not a tri bike as that’s too specific tbh.

Leaning towards a Carbon Frame at least. Thoughts on this: https://archive.kestrelbicycles.com...KLl5qqMlp-XEsGLp_iBSRjNzSPzanPnAee8Id26UQnRwc

A local one popped up for under 1k.
Thats definitely a more aggressive geometry. Based on what you've told me I dont think carbon is a necessity tbh. You can get a solid aluminum bike with a carbon fork and seat post. What size frame are you?

Did some dumb riding about 2 weeks ago. Was gonna run a light cause thought coast was clear. (Never run a red unless you have 100% vision) anyway saw car at last minute, jammed my brakes hard and almost endo'd onto the hood. Jumped off before I could flip and stopped the bike. Accident averted. Get back on and finish my ride but when I got off funny feeling in my leg that tuned into a full limp in about 3 hours. Longstory short, sprained my calf in the process of saving my body. Think I'm ready for washed thread now.
Fixed.

-foe

You can get a solid aluminum bike with a carbon fork and seat post. What size frame are you?
That's totally true - and with the wider tyres you get on that type of bike the material makes less of a difference because the tyres make the ride so much more comfortable.

Want to get some Continental 32cc tubeless tires but can't find anything in stock. :smh:

I've had like 5 flats in the past 2 months, getting sick of changing my tubes out. :lol:

Thats definitely a more aggressive geometry. Based on what you've told me I dont think carbon is a necessity tbh. You can get a solid aluminum bike with a carbon fork and seat post. What size frame are you?
Thanks!

51cm/52cm (5’6”)

I guess I’m not looking to break the bank and it’ll be my first road bike. Goal is just to finish the 56mi but if I can find a good deal on a Carbon I’d jump on it.

Components > frame?

Last edited:
Hit Mount Diablo today. Great ride but it was freezing, like 30 something at the peak. :lol:

5CC26895-C9D8-4D37-B2BB-6A73A66C4FA2.jpeg A2D9E629-73F0-467B-BA23-0EAA4EB3DC8D.jpeg 53C70C40-A471-45CF-B240-1FEE7A637B9F.jpeg 1826A16F-9A0C-4B0C-985B-216E44056C3E.jpeg 8331CB6A-264F-48D7-ADBE-3807BFE15E7F.jpeg

Nice! Going to be climbing this from Castro Valley soon. Waiting some final parts to come in so I can finally begin building my s-works and attack this route.

On another note, the bike industry is crazy. Not only are bikes hard to find some of the components as well. I’m guessing it’s going to get crazier as the weather begins to warm up.

Back
Top Bottom