The big 3 just don't get it, nobody wants American cars.

Im sitting here watching the Auto Bailout Hearing on CNN and HFS is really ripping these CEOs a new one,
laugh.gif
. These guys have no plan for a chapter 7 or 11,expecting this 25billion to be loaned to them. Also the CEOs are not willing to take pay cuts to help there business. There claims of having more fuel economiccars than there competetion may be true but the fact is, no one wants a American car(s). People rather spend a few thousand more on a Japanese counterpart. Iknow I'm part of the millions who rather buy a Accord or Altima over a Malibu or Taurus. I rather buy a 350z or s2000 over a Mustang or Saturn Sky.

Also American small cars are a joke, Focus? Cobalt and that Dodge crossover thinga majig,
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
. Seriously, these guys deserve to fail, nobody wants thatgarbage. While my local Nissan and Toyota make that money, the Ford across the street is stale, dust in the office and not a phone rang for hours. Americancars are not the future as the big 3 so think.

The American auto industry died years ago. The big wigs in Detroit haven't figured that out yet. The dow just closed below 8,000 for the first time since2003.

The only reason why american cars have stayed here for so long is because police, ambulance, etc etc are keeping them in service....now if they were only smartenough to have camrys or accords as police cars, then we can save money on gas too.

I agree. These American companies are out of touch and haven't learned anyhting in 20years. I have posted this in other threads but they need to cut allthe brands out and just have a lux and regular like they do in Japan. Then they need to focus on cars only no suv. They need to make better compacts andsubcompacts than Japan to survive.

Completely agree.

American car manufactures have been out of touch with their markets for a while now, evident in their neglect of hybrid expansion and emphasis on bigger cars.

These guys are getting smoked by Japanese Automakers on the entrylevel-mid range and spanked by the Germans at the top end.

Hyundai > Big 3

I agree 100% and I think its ridiculous that the big 3 don't have a plan to file bankruptcy. And I agree that people simply don't want American carsanymore and it's true. GM has really improved there product in recent years but it may be too late for them. I know Chrysler is still sub-par and I'mnot too sure about Ford but looking at the interior of the new Mustang looks like they are finally getting the message. Itt's just too bad that theydecided to improve their product too late because if they go under I would honestly miss seeing those cars on the road. The imports just offer a more optionsand better quality. Even though I still wouldn't buy them. X5/ML/Cayenne/RR>Escalade/Navigator E/5/A6/M/GS>STS/MKZ/300 andZ/S2K>Mustang/Challenger

Saturn Sky? Nobody should be buying a four-cylinder "sports" car anyway.

But yeah, these #%##*%# shouldn't get a dime.

Yes, it's unfortunate that jobs will be lost, but that's what happens when you piss away money for decades and make products that are not only inferiorto your competition, but that nobody wanted to begin with.

Go into Chapter 11, downsize, re-tool, get your %$*% straight, and come back with something that's worth spending money on.

Why GM didn't kill Buick, Pontiac, and GMC a looooong time ago, I'll never know.

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

The only reason why american cars have stayed here for so long is because police, ambulance, etc etc are keeping them in service....now if they were only smart enough to have camrys or accords as police cars, then we can save money on gas too.

Truth, only governent jobs is keeping them paid.

its not even that they lose Gm loses 2k/car they build. GM still (not sure) is the world's leading auto manufacture. Buick's are considered top notchin China (I don't get it). Their business model and cost structure need to change. Get rid or renegotiate with the Unions. I

seriously, i cant believe this stuff, some guy who serves as a "consultant" for GM was just on msnbc and he was BSin about how GM was "doingjust fine" until the economic crisis, SMH at this dude tryin say that GM was fine up until midway through september

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Hyundai > Big 3

That's what I'm saying. In 20 years hyunai went from nothing to now having the genesis a car that officially puts them ahead of the big 3. But inthose same 20 years the Big 3 have done little to nothing to improve their cars.

i hear that GM actually does pretty good business oversees with their trucks.

but yea, they laughed 20 years ago when the japanese said they were gonna build small cars. they said americans will never buy it. then they said americanswould never buy larger sedans from japanese auto makers. then they said trucks...whats this thing about free market principals.

So now they want to get bailed out, when they could have started thinking about making more fuel efficient cars years ago.

Either way, imports are dominating the industry now.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

But what about the people who will lose their jobs?
the big 3 are pretty much trying to capitalize on the finacial/economic crisis, there's already upsetting news over the amount of jobs beinglost in the country and theyre just saying to congress "you dont want to lose millions of more jobs do u??? so u better give us that money" - theyrerefusing to admit that all these millions of jobs are inefficient just like the ones that have already been cut, i think a study a few days ago said that theaverage auto worker makes about $78 an hour (probably adjusted to include benefits)
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

it is real unfortunate for those people who will lose their jobs. But it will be better for the auto industy & all other industries ifCongress puts their foot down, doesnt give them $25 billion, & allows them to fail on their own. That should send the message to the rest of the industriesthat you cant just expect to get a bailout if youre in trouble.

First they need to improve the quality of their crappy vehicles. Second they need to stop being dumb, only the filthy rich that can afford to drop 2 billsevery time they are at the pump are the only ones buying those v8 gas hogs.

. I feel for them, I really do. It sucks that these fortune 500 CEOs, made million dollar mistakes and now these workers have to pay for it.I'm for the bailout only to save those jobs.

Irony anyone?
[h1]Big Three auto CEOs flew private jets to ask for taxpayer money[/h1]
  • Story Highlights
  • Lawmaker: Flying jet to hearing like going to "soup kitchen in high hat and tuxedo"
  • Rep. Brad Sherman asked CEOs whether they would fly back commercial
  • Company representatives pointed to safety, travel policies as reasons for flying jets
By Josh Levs
CNN

(CNN) -- Some lawmakers lashed out at the CEOs of the Big Three auto companies Wednesday for flying private jets to Washington to request taxpayer bailout money.

"There is a delicious irony in seeing private luxury jets flying into Washington, D.C., and people coming off of them with tin cups in their hand, saying that they're going to be trimming down and streamlining their businesses," Rep. Gary Ackerman, D-New York, told the chief executive officers of Ford, Chrysler and General Motors at a hearing of the House Financial Services Committee.

"It's almost like seeing a guy show up at the soup kitchen in high hat and tuxedo. It kind of makes you a little bit suspicious."

He added, "couldn't you all have downgraded to first class or jet-pooled or something to get here? It would have at least sent a message that you do get it."

Rep. Brad Sherman, D-California, asked the three CEOs to "raise their hand if they flew here commercial. Let the record show, no hands went up. Second, I'm going to ask you to raise your hand if you are planning to sell your jet in place now and fly back commercial. Let the record show, no hands went up."

The executives -- Alan Mulally of Ford, Robert Nardelli of Chrysler and Richard Wagoner of GM -- did not specifically respond to those remarks. In their testimony, they said they are streamlining business operations in general.
video.gif
Watch Nardelli ask for help »

When contacted by CNN, the three auto companies defended the CEOs' travel as standard procedure.

Like many other major corporations, all three have policies requiring their CEOs to travel in private jets for safety reasons.

"Making a big to-do about this when issues vital to the jobs of millions of Americans are being discussed in Washington is diverting attention away from a critical debate that will determine the future health of the auto industry and the American economy," GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson said in a statement.

Chrysler spokeswoman Lori McTavish said in a statement, "while always being mindful of company costs, all business travel requires the highest standard of safety for all employees."

Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker pointed to the company's travel policy and did not provide a statement elaborating.

But those statements did little to mollify the critics.

"If it is simply the company's money at stake, then only the shareholders can be upset or feel as it it might be excessive," said Thomas Schatz, president of the watchdog group Citizens Against Government Waste.

But in this case, he said, "it's outrageous."

"They're coming to Washington to beg the taxpayers to help them. It's unseemly to be running around on a $20,000 flight versus a $500 round trip," Schatz added.

The companies did not disclose how much the flights cost.

Analysts contacted by CNN noted that the prices vary with the size of the plane and the crew, and whether the aircraft is leased or owned by the company.

Analyst Richard Aboulafia of the Teal Group said that $20,000 is a legitimate ballpark figure for a round trip corporate jet flight between Detroit, Michigan, and Washington.

When asked whether they plan to change their travel policies as part of the restructuring needed to shore up their finances, none of the companies answered directly. But they said they have cut back on travel in general as revenues have fallen.

Back
Top Bottom