The Biggest Problem in the NBA

is without a doubt, the referees. the referees are terrible, and they are never consistent. a carry is a carry. a travel is a travel, so on and so forth. ifjamal crawford is going to get called for carrying the ball on a monday, he should get called for a carry on a wednesday, and every time he does it. instead,the refs only make the calls when they feel like it. it's ridiculous. why are we calling first step travels in some games, and not in all of the games?consistency is not a word frequently uttered in referee meetings.

and i blame david stern, because he won't do anything about it. he allows the referees to call the games any way they see fit. look at the flopping that istaking over the league. why won't stern do something about it? the referees are awarding no talent hacks not to play defense, but to slide in underneathplayers and fall on the floor. this is what we are selling as a 'global' game? not to mention, it's almost impossible to play perimeter defensebecause the refs love to make calls thirty feet away from the basket. so stern tries to up the scoring by making it illegal to play defense, but when you getto rack you are going to get called for charge, so what is the point?

this is why people aren't watching basketball like they used to. it's not because michael left, it's because the quality of the product is poor,and no one wants to fix it. all i'm asking for is consistency- but what do i know. stern said it himself, one of his BEST refs last year was betting on thegames. this game is a joke.

Referees without a doubt...yea i agree with most things u said. there's no consistency in foul calls...there should be some set guidelines. the way thegame is officiated allows for higher scoring and the stuff fans wanna see, i guess sometimes u just have to realize it's entertainment and obviously Sternwants to put the game in a form he feels will generate the most profit

I agree...Did anyone see Tim Thomas' three point play tonight? Ben Gordon literally tapped his waist on the way down and got the foul. Didn't affecthis shot in any way.

Ya'll act like refereeing is easy. They have to make calls in a split second. I agree there are terrible calls and non-calls i.e. Dwayne Wade, but for themost part they do a pretty good job.

I've said this for years: of the four major American professional sports leagues (NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL), the NBA has the absolute WORST officials, andit's not even close. It's not like...

#1- MLB
#2- NFL
#3- NHL
#4- NBA

It's not like that at all. It's more like...

#1- MLB
#2- NFL
#3- NHL

#4- NBA

They are TERRIBLE. In all sports, you have to make the right call in a split-second, but in basketball, the right call is seldom made when you look back andreview the film. When Matt Holliday failed to cross home plate against the Padres and the Rockies went on to the postseason, I was STUNNED, and the reason Iwas stunned is because MLB officials so RARELY get a call like that wrong.

Same with the NFL. ANd then the NHL is (in my opinion) right below the NFL in terms of accuracy.

But the NBA? Heck, they rarely get the call RIGHT when you go back and review things.

And I've heard the argument, "Well, it's basketball, and things happen more quickly in basketball than any other sport. In basketball, there isCONSTANT movement."

#1- Hockey is also constant movement, but NHL officials are spot on.
#2- NCAA basketball is also basketball, and they are ENTIRELY more accurate than NBA refs.

Matter of fact, they should just promote all of the NCAA refs to the NBA and demote all of the NBA refs to the NCAA, preferably D-III or something.

of course it's not easy, that's why get paid an enormous salary to run around and blow a whistle. but don't you want consistency? i know you'veseen eddy curry or shaquille o'neal get mauled in the low post, and then on the other end get called for ticky tack foul. that stuff is annoying.

if all of the refs were all on the same page, the game would be so much better, because you would now what to expect each time you turn on a game. instead,every game i wonder if jamal is going to get called for carrying. some of them call it, some of them don't. but he carries everytime. it's unacceptablefor the refs to not be working from the same book.

Ya'll act like refereeing is easy. They have to make calls in a split second. I agree there are terrible calls and non-calls i.e. Dwayne Wade, but for the most part they do a pretty good job.

Whole-heartedly agree.

There's no replay in basketball, there aren't 200 umpires in basketball, there's three dudes out there, they do the best job they can. It's notas easy as Baseball or football or hockey because they aren't as linient (sp?), and if you are to blame anyone, blame David Stern.

^ There aren't replays in hockey, either. They can reviews goals upstairs, but there aren't challenges like in the NFL.

And what about NCAA basketball? They ref the same game as the NBA refs do, yet when you look at questionable NCAA basketball situations and questionable NBAsituations, the NCAA situations usually ended in the correct call being made, and the NBA situations usually end up in the wrong call being made.

Trust...making split-second calls is the hardest thing to do. Factor in during the course of the game the running takes a toll on the way you think, it'stough.....

And I don't think you can compare reffing an NBA game to a football or baseball game. the NBA is the hardest sport to referee.

Football and Bball are proably the hardest to ref in.

and lets be real hockey and baseball ant that hard for a ref to call them games.

^ There aren't replays in hockey, either. They can reviews goals upstairs, but there aren't challenges like in the NFL.

I think that basketball is much harder to officiate then hockey.

And what about NCAA basketball?

I think NCAA refs are a lot easier on players, calls, and fouls then in the NBA. I'm not an AVID NCAABB fan like I am NBA, but still, the rules aren'tquite the same.

^ The issue isn't rules; the issue is the ability to make accurate split-second decisions.

And NCAAB = basketball

And NBA = basketball

So we're talking about the same sport when comparing the refs in those two leagues. Yet the NCAAB refs USUALLY get calls right, whereas NBA refs USUALLYdon't.

Like I posted in the other thread:

39:01 4-17 0-0 15-20 +7 1 5 6 9 2 4 6 1 2 23

Are you freakin SERIOUS!

the terrible officiating has also lead to more flopping as players realize that the refs will blow the whistle as soon as they see a body go down, so playersjust go down at any contact between a ballhandler and defender, or trying to fight through screens

yup the refs are awful.........
How can you be a Jordan fan and bash the refs
roll.gif
i keed

My take on NBA refs is that they go by reputation and caliber. All-stars or elite players get more love, they call the fouls on rookies as if they were NCAArefs. Whats the problem here?

A player's reputation really plays a big part for NBA refs, rooks will get rookie ticky tack fouls, while players that are known for defense can murk aplayer and still not get blown, ex. Bowen hand slaps, The Gloves groping, or Mutombo's can get more body contact then other shot blockers. List isendless....Kobe can whine more than any other player and not get called a T, Amare and Parker can do ballerina spins and No Travel. Reggie and Rip can hockeycheck someone and no foul. Jordan drives down a lane and someone breathes on him its a foul, and when Wallace tries to smile he gets a T, same goes forArtest.

They are conditioned to call things a certain way...soo many players flop so they start calling the charges more often. Some nights when they see two physicalteams go at it, they tuck in there whistles while other nights they can't stop callin fouls. This inconsistence + allowing for players reputation todictate the call really makes the game unpredictable.

Basically, NBA refs play into the reputation game, if they really ref by the T, all these stars would be on the bench by the halftime. Its a business, so keepin mind the Business decisions. Refs can start calling the games tight like a NCAA game, but you would really end up with a FT shootout.

Personally, from reffing basketball, its not that entirely hard to officiate. Sure, some calls look pathetic and weak on the replay, but up close it doeseffect the players some of the time.

HOWEVER, the debate is brought up on how the officiating has gotten so bad since the 90's. I mean, that was the best officiating of basketball I have everseen. They got everything right. there wasnt superstar treatment like there is today. Players had to work for their points instead of being bailed out everysingle time by some kind of call. Like, its just rediculous that officiating has gotten to this kind of low in the NBA, when only 10 years ago officiating wasthe most consistent there could ever be.

smh.gif

Slow Motion G35:
roll.gif

what does that have to do with anything? I was talking about today, I didn't make that post thinking about Jordan.....................although from96-98 he could get away with saying almost anything to the refs without a tech
laugh.gif

Basketball is easier to officiate than baseball. The home plate umpire has the toughest job.

A foul is a foul. It doesn't matter what size a player is. A carry is a carry. A travel is a travel.
In baseball every batter has a different looking strike zone. Every pitch looks different. You can have a breaking pitch that dives over the corner of theplate at the last split second and you've gotta determine if it crossed the plate within the strike zone or not. Plus, as a home plate umpire you areinvolved in EVERY pitch of the game. In basketball you have two other guys that are assigned to different parts of the court. You can take your eyes off theplay for a few seconds here and there and nobody would know the difference...but in baseball if you've got the plate, EVERY eye is on your call within ahalf second of the pitch.

What about a home run call? What other official has to decide if a ball that's probably close to 200 feet away from you is within inches of the foul pole?Sure, in the postseason you have umps down the lines...but in reg. season you have your base upms and that's it. The ball is small and you're at such afar distance but it's up to you to determine if it's a home run or foul ball.

In basketball you're right on top of each play. If you miss a call it's because a) you suck b) You're on the take (word to Donaghy) c) Youdon't give a %@@*. There's NO EXCUSE for missing a call in a basketball game.

Reffing has probably gotten worse in the NBA because David $tern changes the rukes almost every single year. This iis definitely a factor.

There's no excuse for constantly blowing the pump fake jump into yous. The fact that they even have to claim that verticality is a new "point ofemphasis," when it has been in the rule book forever shows there is a problem. So a rule has been in existence and you claim to be making an extra effortto enforce it now? And for all the point of emphasis crap, I've seen it called correctly twice this season and I watch every game I can. I mean, itdoesn't even look like a normal shot. Who does a standing broad jump and jumps 5 feet forward and 6 feet to the side when they shoot unless they'retrying to just crash into the defender?

At some point you have to believe it was never intended for people to seek out free throws. There's plenty of guys who literally will have a wide open laneto the basket but instead jump to the side into the nearest defender. @$@@ is not basketball. And the flopping, gosh, did the refs ever play basketball before?How can Devin Harris and Raja Bell drew charges on fadeAWAYS? Have they never in their life been hit in the head, or pushed in the chest? I bet they didn'tloose their FOOTing and fall on their back. Refs just blow their whistle and don't think.

I remember Bron shoot a 3 and Tony Allen ran by and pretended to touch his leg. Well, if it was a legit foul the risk is obviously taking Bron's legs outfrom under him or even flipping him over in the air. LeBron however, landed on his feet so obviously it had no effect, he beat it right. But THEN he fell AFTERlanding on his feet. Wait a minute, that's makes no sense. Of course, the zebras ate it up and blew their whistle.

And you speak of reputations, how many guys have reputations as floppers and dirty yet continue to get away with it? Fool me once, shame on you fool me twice,shame on me. You can watch games and see it coming. Based on the time/score, for example, I know exactly when Cassell is going to call iso and come down andpump fake jump into you.

It's an inherent contradiction on one hand to call the NBA the 450 best players in the world then on the other hand allow to get away with all this pansy@$@@ to help them that doesn't fly nearly as consistently on any other level of ball. I used to call it girly then I actually watched a few WNBA playoffseries and even some girl's NCAA ball and even they don't do that @$@@. Dudes like Andy Varajeo, Devin Harris, Manu Ginobili, Kevin Martin, DwyaneWade, certified@%$*$*!%

roll.gif

what does that have to do with anything? I was talking about today, I didn't make that post thinking about Jordan.....................although from 96-98 he could get away with saying almost anything to the refs without a tech
laugh.gif

You obviously didn't read the I KEED =JK part. I'm just joking that the Bulls have been the recipient of alot of good calls throughoutthe Jordan era, and now you're experiencing what everyone else is except, for Kobe. and its a joke, note the laughing head.

This inconsistence + allowing for players reputation to dictate the call really makes the game unpredictable.
...and is making the game damn near unwatchable.
There's NO EXCUSE for missing a call in a basketball game.
i agree 100%. just follow the rules, and you'll be fine. don't make stuff as you go along. don't call something for someone and notfor another.
I used to call it girly then I actually watched a few WNBA playoff series and even some girl's NCAA ball and even they don't do that @$@@. Dudes like Andy Varajeo, Devin Harris, Manu Ginobili, Kevin Martin, Dwyane Wade, certified@%$*$*!%
man, those girls play tough, a hell of a lot tougher than the nba does. the wnba refs don't call sissy fouls, but the nba refs sure do. all ofthe players you named are making the game stale, and david stern wont do anything about it. damn shame.

has anyone ever seen shaquille o'neal flop? it is one of the worst things you will ever see. the biggest player in the league sliding on the floor insteadof putting his hands in the air to block the shot. it's disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom