The College Basketball Post

Well well well it is College Basketball season once again
pimp.gif

Here is UNC's schedule:
[table][tr][td]
2008-2009 SCHEDULE

( Click on an event for complete event information )
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer-000000.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Date[/td] [td]Opponent / Event[/td] [td]Location[/td] [td]Time[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10/24/08[/td] [td]vs. Late Night with Roy Williams[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]4:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/08/08[/td] [td]vs. UNC Pembroke (exhibition)
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/15/08[/td] [td]vs. Penn
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]4:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/18/08[/td] [td]vs. Kentucky
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]9:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/21/08[/td] [td]at UC Santa Barbara
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Santa Barbara, Calif.[/td] [td]10:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/24/08[/td] [td]vs. Chaminade (Maui Invitational)
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii[/td] [td]9:30 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/25/08[/td] [td]vs. vs. Oregon or Alabama (Maui Invitational)
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/26/08[/td] [td]vs. TBA (Maui Invitational)[/td] [td]Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/30/08[/td] [td]vs. UNC Asheville
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]6:30 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/03/08[/td] [td]vs. Michigan State (ACC/Big Ten Challenge)
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Detroit, Mich.[/td] [td]9:15 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/13/08[/td] [td]vs. Oral Roberts
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]6:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/18/08[/td] [td]vs. Evansville
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]7:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/20/08[/td] [td]vs. Valparaiso
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chicago, Ill.[/td] [td]2:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/28/08[/td] [td]vs. Rutgers
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]7:45 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/31/08[/td] [td]at Nevada
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Reno, Nev.[/td] [td]10:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/04/09[/td] [td]vs. Boston College
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]5:30 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/07/09[/td] [td]vs. College of Charleston
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]9:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/11/09[/td] [td]at Wake Forest
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Winston-Salem, N.C.[/td] [td]8:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/15/09[/td] [td]at Virginia
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Charlottesville, Va.[/td] [td]9:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/17/09[/td] [td]vs. Miami
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]9:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/21/09[/td] [td]vs. Clemson
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]9:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/28/09[/td] [td]at Florida State
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Tallahassee, Fla.[/td] [td]9:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/31/09[/td] [td]at North Carolina State
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Raleigh, N.C.[/td] [td]3:30 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]02/03/09[/td] [td]vs. Maryland
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]8:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]02/07/09[/td] [td]vs. Virginia
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]4:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]02/11/09[/td] [td]at Duke
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Durham, N.C.[/td] [td]9:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]02/15/09[/td] [td]at Miami
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Coral Gables, Fla.[/td] [td]7:45 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]02/18/09[/td] [td]vs. North Carolina State
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]8:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]02/21/09[/td] [td]at Maryland
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]College Park, Md.[/td] [td]3:30 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]02/28/09[/td] [td]vs. Georgia Tech
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]12:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]03/04/09[/td] [td]at Virginia Tech
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Blacksburg, Va.[/td] [td]7:00 p.m. ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]03/08/09[/td] [td]vs. Duke
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]Chapel Hill, N.C.[/td] [td]4:00 p.m. ET
[/td] [/tr][/table]
As for this year my expectations are definitely to make it to the Final 4 and then from there anything can happen. This talk of us going undefeated isnonsense. The article allen posted a couple pages ago summed it up well; on paper we could beat every team on that schedule, but this is college basketball anda bad game here could easily result in an L. However, I would be surprised if we have more than 2 losses on the season. We get back Lawson, Ellington, and DGfrom testing the waters to go with the core group of seniors. Ginyard is currently injured and isn't expected to come back until December. This should giveWild Bill Graves a chance to get some great experience and to prove himself to the coaching staff (last year he had some great offensive games but wasn'tgiven much burn because he is basura at defense). My big concern for the season is our Defense. If this group can finally play to their potential on thedefensive side of the ball than the sky is the limit. However, they have not been able to do this for the past two years consistently and that says a lot. I aminterested to see how our freshman get worked into the rotation. Ed Davis and Tyler Zeller are like twigs but are talented. Outside of our D I think avoidinginjuries and the play if Deon Thompson is a huge key to our overall success. If he establishes himself as a consistent low post player than I really like ourchances in April.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the slurp fest we are about to witness with Hansbrough.
eyes.gif

He just plays with so much passion, desire, and intensity on every possession that it is uncanny....
laugh.gif

Either way Im hoping for a great college basketball season.

Also Allen- are you trying to become a reporter for Rivals/Scout?

Nah
laugh.gif
...that would be cool tho.

This spring I'm trying to get a gig with the Albany City Rocks..thankfully my friend has an in.

...I'd like to say yall aren't taking it this year...I'm just finding it real difficult to
laugh.gif

If Roy can't win with all this talent than may God have mercy on his soul...
laugh.gif

Part of me wants to believe that we will be cutting down the nets in Detroit but the other part is saying don't get your hopes up. I was so hyped up lastyear for the Final 4 game against Kansas and we come out and get beaten like a red headed step child. I was shocked. I literally had nothing to say and then wecame back and got within like two possessions, which gave me some more false hope. Only to get blasted again and beat by 18.
embarassed.gif

So I learned my lesson last year and for this year I am just thinking get to the Final 4 and anything is possible from there. I just hope we don't seeUConn at any time in the tournament.

What do you think Georgetown is going to do this year?

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Nah
laugh.gif
...that would be cool tho.

This spring I'm trying to get a gig with the Albany City Rocks..thankfully my friend has an in.

...I'd like to say yall aren't taking it this year...I'm just finding it real difficult to
laugh.gif
That's Taylor Battle's old squad right? they have two like to 50 recruits if i'm thinking right - Battle's younger bro andanother kid.

Ed Davis skinny....But he isn't Tayshaun Prince/Kevin Durant skinny.....

At least, from when I saw him on Franklin and at the summer Pro-Am games...

I saw him walking on campus last week and he didn't look like he bulked up too much over summer. But Dre you're right, KD was frail but made it happen.

laugh.gif

a small start..

I'm watching Siena again on the mid major level
Monroe will start at G'Town...and I think every other top target is starting or at least will contribute a bunch as well.
No Stanley Robinson, Nate Miles or Ater Majok for Uconn at this point.
Arizona is a mess.
Levance Fields has a lingering injury and Pitt has only him in the backcourt to begin with.
Steph Curry is trying to make the transition to PG
Terrence Williams is out at least a month
Same With Marcus Ginyard
People are high on what Trent Johnson and Travis Ford can do stepping in and taking over some talent.

pimp.gif
Thank you Allen.

Yeah craftsy...they got some real talent, year in, year out. A Cuse pipeline
sick.gif

G'Town...IDK about tournament time, it's such a crap shoot....I just wana see the young kids develop and play the best at the right time. 20-22 wins,sweet 16 would be ideal.

If I'm UNC I don't want..

- Uconn
-Louisville
-Michigan State...in Ford Field

Second-Team All-SEC
Marcus Thornton, 6-4, G, Sr., LSU
Jarvis Varnado, 6-9, C, Jr., Mississippi State
Ronald Steele, 6-1, G, Sr., Alabama
Tasmin Mitchell, 6-7, F, Jr., LSU
Chris Warren, 5-10, PG, Soph., Mississippi
Alonzo Gee, 6-6, SG, Sr., Alabama
Ain't no way Scotty Hopson doesnt make Second Team All-SEC ... Tennessee's offense was built for players to pad their stats.

Originally Posted by D723

Second-Team All-SEC
Ain't no way Scotty Hopson doesnt make Second Team All-SEC ... Tennessee's offense was built for players to pad their stats.

Yea, Tennessee has talent no doubt with Prince, Scotty and Tyler.

Ex-dean says SU pushed him out
David Potter restarted sexual assault case against three basketball players.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008
By Nancy Cole
Staff writer

A Syracuse University associate dean who was at the center of restarting a case against three SU basketball players accused of sexually assaulting a studentsays he has been forced out of his job.

Theres some of what Rell keeps talking about. He brought the case back up. And now he was kinda of pushed out.

laugh.gif

smh.gif

Originally Posted by D723

Second-Team All-SEC

I really think that Tasmin Mitchell will be on the First

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Ex-dean says SU pushed him out
David Potter restarted sexual assault case against three basketball players.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008
By Nancy Cole
Staff writer

A Syracuse University associate dean who was at the center of restarting a case against three SU basketball players accused of sexually assaulting a student says he has been forced out of his job.

Theres some of what Rell keeps talking about. He brought the case back up. And now he was kinda of pushed out.

laugh.gif

smh.gif
I told you the school was keeping it under wraps. They fired the dean last week with no reason why. Now it's all coming out. He was the deanat the School of the Arts and Sciences. At least someone at the school has morals.

UNC OOC schedule is boo boo.

EDIT: From what I heard, the girl doesn't go here anymore. She may have been forced to transfer by Cantor (the Nazi president of the school).

Originally Posted by show time 96

unc don't want to play Michigan State please explain
laugh.gif

You wana play them in the Final 4 in their backyard?

In a big game, Izzo can coach circles around Roy...

And they will punch UNC in the mouth....and this UNC squad has given me little to believe they'll punch back on the big stage

Yall get them out there in Decemeber anyway right?

We can get an early look at it.

Originally Posted by show time 96

unc don't want to play Michigan State please explain
laugh.gif

You wana play them in the Final 4 in their backyard?

In a big game, Izzo can coach circles around Roy...

And they will punch UNC in the mouth....and this UNC squad has given me little to believe they'll punch back on the big stage

Yall get them out there in Decemeber anyway right?

We can get an early look at it.

Allen you need tickets for Feb. 14th?

EDIT:

SYRACUSE, NY - Individual game tickets for Syracuse men's basketball will go on sale beginning Wednesday, Oct. 22, at 10:00 a.m. This year's schedule features 19 home regular-season contests and two exhibition games in the Carrier Dome. Season tickets are also on sale.
Tickets may be purchased online (SUathletics.com), by phone through Ticketmaster, in the Syracuse area at 315-472-0700, or in person at the Carrier Dome Box Office.

The 19 regular-season tilts include 10 non-conference games and nine BIG EAST Conference encounters.

Syracuse individual game tickets start at:
  • Cal State-LA and Indiana (PA) exhibition games: Adult $10, Youth $6
  • O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic games: Adult $20, Youth $9
  • Non-conference games (excluding Virginia): Adult $20, Youth $9
  • BIG EAST Conference and Virginia: Adult $29, Youth $13
  • Premium BIG EAST (Notre Dame, Louisville, Georgetown, Villanova): Adult $33, Youth $17.
A youth ticket is available for a child age 12 & under.

Individual game Family Packs, which include two adult tickets, two youth tickets, a $5.00 concession coupon and a South Manley parking pass, are available as well. A 10-game non-conference mini pack is also available for $100.

Business hours in the Carrier Dome Box Office are Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

smh.gif
at the school for raising the prices again.

Rell, I would like to get up there this year...I'll see.

Thanks tho, appreciate it.
pimp.gif

anyone want a NT NYC summitt for the BET?
nerd.gif

one other thing in regards to MSU...why is Pittsburgh thought more highly than them?

The same team MSU whooped in the tournament...and only lose Neitzel who was awful last year and Naymick.

While Pitt loses almost all of their guard play and shooters in Ramon, Benjamin and Cook.

...doesn't add up

Last thing people needed to face in Siena is another guard...

And Clarence Jackson has been killin
pimp.gif
...did in Italy this summer andcarrying it over.

11-13 from 3 in last nights scrimmage
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Last thing people needed to face in Siena is another guard...

And Clarence Jackson has been killin
pimp.gif
...did in Italy this summer and carrying it over.

11-13 from 3 in last nights scrimmage
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

WHAT THE #%%%?!?!?!?!
nerd.gif

Not a typo
laugh.gif
...Was hurt for most of last year as a freshmen..

Lead the team in scoring in their overseas trip for the summer.

..reminds me of Jack McClinton

[h1]Preseason story line No. 22: Back from injury[/h1]
Bob McClellan
Rivals.com College Basketball Editor

You've got your Torn ACL All-Stars vs. your Stress Fracture All-Stars in a battle everyone hopes both teams can win.

Unfortunately it is a familiar refrain. Injuries play a major role in the NCAA hopes of nearly every team. Go through a season relatively healthy, and youcan punch your dance ticket for March Madness. Suffer a major injury or two, and it's hello College Basketball Invitational.
[table][tr][td]
1017-SYRERICDEV_250.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Syracuse's Eric Devendorf suffered a torn ACL last season.[/td] [/tr][/table]Syracuse alreadyhad lost guard Andy Rautins to a torn ACL before last season began when fellowguard Eric Devendorf also suffered a torn ACL 10 games into the season. TheOrange wound up in the NIT for the second consecutive season.
"The type of guy I am, I just love to play, and when it's taken away it hurts," Devendorf told Rivals.com. "And it hurts more to watchyour team play and struggle. You just want to be out there."

UAB guard Paul Delaney III knows the feeling. A 2007-08 preseason All-CUSA pick, he suffered atorn ACL just four games into last season. The Blazers went on to finish 23-11 but also wound up in the NIT. With Delaney maybe they would have beatenMemphis instead oflosing to them at home by one point, a victory that almost assuredly would have propelled them into the NCAA tournament.

"It makes you realize like anything it can be taken away from you in a split second," Delaney told Rivals.com. "Now I'll be putting thatuniform back on and wearing it with pride.

"I feel stronger than I was. I'm in the greatest shape I've ever been. I had more time during rehab to work on my upper body. I think I'mfaster and more agile."

Delaney cited Kansas State's Bill Walker asinspiration. He came back from a torn ACL last season and was an NBA second-round pick.

"With today's medicine you can come back as good or better than you were," Delaney said.

Here are some other players besides Devendorf, Rautins and Delaney on NCAA tournament-caliber teams whose seasons were cut short and who hope to return justas good or better:

Alabamaguard Ronald Steele. The Crimson Tide point guard has become the posterchild for the oft-injured. He missed all of last season after hobbling through the 2006-07 season. He has had surgery on both of his knees, but he has beencleared to play. Mark Gottfried is holding his breath. Even a 90-percent Steele makes Alabama a possible NCAA team.

Connecticut guard A.J. Price. Pricemade it all the way into the NCAA tournament before suffering a torn ACL in the Huskies' first-round upset against San Diego, a game they probablydon't lose if he hadn't gone down. He returned to action in mid-September for the first time, and he's shaking off the rust but should be 100percent for the season opener. Price is a key cog in UConn's national-title hopes (No. 2 in the Rivals poll).

Kentucky guard Jodie Meeks. Meekssimply couldn't get healthy last season. He appeared in 11 games, and never more than three in a row. He had surgery for a sports hernia on April 13. TheWildcats desperately need his perimeter shooting, and the news is good. He appeared in Kentucky's Big Blue Madness scrimmage on Oct. 10 and looked100-percent ready, hitting a pair of 3-pointers and a couple of pullup jumpers.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
0315-PITLEVFIELDS_250.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Levance Fields missed significant time last season.[/td] [/tr][/table]Kentuckyforward Patrick Patterson. Fortunately for the Wildcats the superbfreshman made it through most of the season before a stress fracture in his ankle forced him to miss UK's final five games. Like Meeks he appeared at BigBlue Madness and looked to have no trouble getting up and down the floor, another great sign for the 'Cats.
LSU forwardTasmin Mitchell. Mitchell, a 2007-08 preseason All-SEC choice, wentdown after just three games with a stress fracture in his left leg. The Tigers flopped and didn't even reach the postseason. A healthy Mitchell teamingwith Marcus Thornton and Chris Johnson could make LSU a real threat in the SEC West.

Pittsburgh guard Levance Fields.Fields missed a dozen games last season with a stress fracture in his left foot. He returned to help Pittsburgh win the Big East tournament, but on Aug. 22 heunderwent surgery on the same foot. He is expected to be 100 percent by the season opener, and the Panthers are a national-title contender (they're No. 3in the Rivals poll) only if he's completely ready to go.

Providence guard Sharaud Curry. Curry played a grant totalof 8 minutes last season. He suffered a broken foot and tried to return, but his December appearance against Sacred Heart was it. The Friars will need him inthe Big East if they hope to crack the upper division.

Back
Top Bottom