The College Basketball Post

I have only seen Stone in person a couple of times...but I'll say this...there is a reason the "best of the best" programs weren't THAT interested in him. Idk how he's ranked top 5 in recruiting to be honest.
If he went to Kansas , duke, Kentucky etc he would another hyped prospect ...but he goes to the terps n basically he's not that good :lol: :smh:

Media members wield thousands upon thousands of followers, and I wonder if we'll ever get to a point where you can't tweet things like that - it's an opinion and resticting the press goes against all things First Amendment, but he's not exactly 'working' when tweeting that and most importantly, 140 characters hinders anybody from fully expounding on such an opinion - so in essence it's a declarative statement where you don't need any sort of evidence because you don't have room for evidence. Just seems weird to me.

uhm why are you guys so bent out of shape about this?

Is it so crazy to think that Depaul is a bad job?

especially for a guy like Hurley with a famous name. No one is ever able to succeed there despite it chicago producing so much talent.

Seems like a job that always has unreasonable expectations that no one can fill.

i wouldnt say Depaul has unreasonable expectations, the program's had 4 winning seasons in this millennium.

wanting to see the school at least finish above .500 isn't unreasonable by any means.

Depaul is similar to St. John's, good academic school located in a region full of talent with decent history that for whatever reasons has been irrelevant for too long. It isn't this hole in the wall job like Sacramento St., it's a school with decent heritage that can and should be more successful than it has been recently.

No one expects them to be a perennial Final Four team, but wanting to see them be competitive is totally fair and desirable.

i wouldnt say Depaul has unreasonable expectations, the program's had 4 winning seasons in this millennium.

wanting to see the school at least finish above .500 isn't unreasonable by any means.

I always hear people saying it's a "sleeping giant" or could be great job.

*shrugs*

I wouldn't want to deal with that.

I always hear people saying it's a "sleeping giant" or could be great job.

*shrugs*

I wouldn't want to deal with that.
it's definitely not an easy job, but it's one of those programs where if you come in and resurrect it, you're kinda look at as a god since no one else has been able to deal with it. they need to just find some young dude to do the job, somehow luck into a shaka smart or brad stevens type.

DePaul has a new arena in the heart of Chicago coming that will help quite a bit, right now they play in a 40 year old arena that's 40 minutes away. In the same respect as SJU, no 5* is staying home - Duke, UK, KU will always come in and pick them off but there's more than enough around the mid-west to fill out a competitive roster year to year.

Their expectations aren't unreasonable, they just want to be competitive again. Jerry Wainwright killed that program and Purnell couldn't get it back. Someone else could do fine there. Expense wise, DePaul spends the 38th most on MBB in the country.

It's not like he went to Buffalo with that being a well sought after mid-major gig, that job blows. The first time they made the NCAA tournament was this year. Most of these jobs are what you make of it. 6 years ago people questioned if Arizona was still an elite place.

Last edited:
I have only seen Stone in person a couple of times...but I'll say this...there is a reason the "best of the best" programs weren't THAT interested in him. Idk how he's ranked top 5 in recruiting to be honest.
I mean, UConn is a better program than pretty much everyone and they were after him, as well as Wisconsin who could be in back to back final fours...Big guys are a bit difficult to judge in HS unless they have an offensive repertoire like Jahlil Okafor, which is extremely rare, and you know that they will translate easily to the college game...

If he went to Kansas , duke, Kentucky etc he would another hyped prospect ...but he goes to the terps n basically he's not that good
laugh.gif
mean.gif
I am just saying, I wasn't impressed when I saw him and I can understand why "bigger" programs weren't recruiting him as hard. Just my opinion.

I am just saying, I wasn't impressed when I saw him and I can understand why "bigger" programs weren't recruiting him as hard. Just my opinion.
Arguably the "biggest" program of the last 20 years, Uconn, recruited him hard.

Back
Top Bottom