The College Basketball Post

Tyler Herro is gonna be the steal of the draft. Period. No matter where he is drafted. Kid has Booker potential. Baller.

EAD *****
picard.png

Let's hope Zags and Boilermakers can pull off W's tomorrow. Dont need to see more of these slow paced games in the final four lol.

UK/Houston:
Sampson sent the double-team a tad too late before P.J. drew the and-one. Great call by Cal coming directly outta the TO.

That contested high floater Davis hit was tough as hell. Kentucky guarded him well, just like they did Magee against Wofford. Ash did well to cut off the angle and force Davis baseline on his last driving attempt.

Who would have thought Quickley would lead UK in made threes against Houston? Herro’s three was clutch. No rattle, boy.

My early read is UK beats Auburn a third time this season, comfortably. It’d be hard-pressed to believe Pearl’s squad makes all those shots again. I counted two or three banks in the second half alone. Plus how much Auburn will miss Okeke’s inside-outside scoring and presence. Harper, Brown, McCormick and Dunbar are strengths. Guard play, but that’s the area UK is most comfortable defending all tourney with Keldon, Herro, Hagans and Quickley.

Edit:
Quick UH note, Jarreau is nice when he puts the ball on the deck one-on-one. Had a nice take from the left baseline late in the game.

Duke/VA Tech:
Hokies played their hearts out, man. Buzz had the perfect gameplan. Force Tre and others to beat you, not named Zion and R.J. Jones just came up clutch every time, and hit big shots repeatedly.

On offense, VA Tech was finding that corner three on the right side open often in the first half. Hill was camped out there. Would’ve liked to see Buzz go to Blackshear a little more in the first half. Blackshear can dribble past Bolden or DeLaurier at will when he’s locked in.

In the second half, Blackshear missed two or three shots (off the top) that he normally makes. Those crafty finishes around the basket that didn’t go. You could see his body language change, visible frustration and negative energy but he hung in there to his credit.

Robinson was composed with his dribble penetration. Often finding awkward angles with good vision leading to layups and easy buckets for teammates.

Hill was so hyped in the first half after hitting some threes. Started to celebrate and get amped. Really should have finished the game-tying attempt. I wasn’t liking the last two shots Buzz drew up before that. Two contested, forced threes quick in the shot clock. Why not Robinson dribble penetration with a kick-out to corner three if you going for the win? Feed Blackshear inside if you want a tie. Good chance any shot attempt he follows up with an offensive board and second-chance attempt.

I’m gonna post more about NAW in the draft thread. Had the one unnecessary push-off foul. Hit a three top of the key in one of VA Tech’s better offensive possessions inside the final 6-8 minutes. Great defense on Barrett. Forced him right, got the steal and saved the ball from going out of bounds.

We know Zion a bully, bruv. He can beat you with the quick first step, split the double-team, hit a trey in the opening minutes, relentless on offensive glass. The refs did miss an offensive foul he had on Hill with his right arm.

All things considered, Barrett was patient in the first half. Played the role of facilitator knowing VA Tech was forcing the ball out of his hands and not allowing anywhere inside the paint. Warmed up in the second half and started attacking the basket. Quicker in possessions, fast break, etc.

Tre Jones let it hang tonight. I counted at least five big, clutch shots he hit over the course of the game. And the crazy thing is the scouting report Buzz knows is leave Jones open and beg him to shoot. Dare Tre to beat you, and he did just that.

My early read is Sparty wins. I do wanna see how severe Ward’s hand injury is though. But with the way Henry and Brown are ascending, I prefer not to play Izzo’s boys right now. Plus Winston is capable of backpacking through offensive lulls. You got gritty dudes like Tillman and Goins.

Sparty/LSU:
Man, Aaron Henry looked good as hell vs. Tigers. Best I’ve seen him play in a Spartans uni, by far. Hit two threes, was crashing the offensive glass. Was creating opportunities with his dribbling late in the shot clock in half-court sets. I saw him finish with both hands at the rim. Think I saw a pull-up attempt that was good. Scored in a variety of ways but never forced his offense or took control from Winston. Winston is so good at peeking over, behind the screen.

Goins took two or three bad shots I didn’t like in the first half. Weren’t smooth attempts, out of Sparty’s offensive flow. Settled down in the second half though, like you’d expect from an Izzo senior.

turbospartan turbospartan & Chopper Chopper , Gabe Brown celebrating on the bench late in the game is a full-on mood. He was not missing threes today. Fluid lefty stroke. Perhaps almost a blessing in disguise that Ahrens got hurt and McQuaid got into foul trouble.

Tremont Waters could be an amazing PG if he reigned all his play in. Gets sloppy with the fancy, highlight-reel pass sometimes. At least one TO off that. Cheating heavy on defense for the steal which cost LSU multiple times in the first half, to the point Waters had to sit. He missed a drive or two that he’d normally finish in the second half. But his speed with the ball is real.

I hate, hate, hate Naz Reid taking those deep, face-up threes early in the shot clock. LSU did not attack Sparty enough with Reid on the left low block. He can get buckets at will from that position against Tillman and Ward. That man is too big to be living on the perimeter.

Edit:
Tillman and Henry were also killin’ LSU on the offensive glass in the first half. That helped build Sparty’s lead.

Last edited:
UNC/Auburn:
I don’t know if lethargic is the right word but UNC looked different today. I realize it’s tough with Little and Cam battling flu-like symptoms. Squad bit deflated. Didn’t pull away when they could have in the first half, didn’t quite respond when Auburn popped them in the mouth second half. There was one hustle play by Robinson that got my respect. Man’s ran from the left wing all the way cross-court to retrieve a loose ball and allow UNC another possession. I was like, “OK, my G. Respect.”

Harper and Brown didn’t even really play that well for their standards. Which is crazy Auburn won by 17 with that factored in, plus Okeke going down nastily.

There was a four-shot stretch in which I didn’t see Purifoy miss a single three. From all different angles at that. Two banked shots I counted, one from the top of the key on a trey.

Cam’s J was off when UNC needed it rallying back from a sizeable deficit. Coby looked confused out there. Didn’t have a solution for the questions Auburn was asking defensively.

Sparty/LSU:
Man, Aaron Henry looked good as hell vs. Tigers. Best I’ve seen him play in a Spartans uni, by far. Hit two threes, was crashing the offensive glass. Was creating opportunities with his dribbling late in the shot clock in half-court sets. I saw him finish with both hands at the rim. Think I saw a pull-up attempt that was good. Scored in a variety of ways but never forced his offense or took control from Winston. Winston is so good at peeking over, behind the screen.

Goins took two or three bad shots I didn’t like in the first half. Weren’t smooth attempts, out of Sparty’s offensive flow. Settled down in the second half though, like you’d expect from an Izzo senior.

turbospartan turbospartan & Chopper Chopper , Gabe Brown celebrating on the bench late in the game is a full-on mood. He was not missing threes today. Fluid lefty stroke. Perhaps almost a blessing in disguise that Ahrens got hurt and McQuaid got into foul trouble.

Tremont Waters could be an amazing PG if he reigned all his play in. Gets sloppy with the fancy, highlight-reel pass sometimes. At least one TO off that. Cheating heavy on defense for the steal which cost LSU multiple times in the first half, to the point Waters had to sit. He missed a drive or two that he’d normally finish in the second half. But his speed with the ball is real.

I hate, hate, hate Naz Reid taking those deep, face-up threes early in the shot clock. LSU did not attack Sparty enough with Reid on the left low block. He can get buckets at will from that position against Tillman and Ward. That man is too big to be living on the perimeter.

Edit:
Tillman and Henry were also killin’ LSU on the offensive glass in the first half. That helped build Sparty’s lead.

Excellent write up. So happy for Gabe. Has come a long way and has overcome personal tragedy to fulfill a lifetime dream and promise to his dad. Glad the staff is finally to the point to trust him a bit, although they had no choice with injuries and foul trouble. Tillman has come a long way this season. Excited for his future along with all the freshman. And a little more Gabe for the road!

Last edited:
Look at you so nervous you in here talking fruity crap. Ain’t no way around it this is the sorriest pair of pg’s cal has ever had. Your squad gonna be bounced bc of their short coming. Now suck on that weirdo.

Nice retort, guy. I'm very hurt. :lol:

Been in here all season talmbout "worst group of guards Cals ever had".... Dude, if you really think Hagans/Herro/Johnson/Quickley are worse than freaking Ryan Harrow/Archie Goodwin and freshman year Harrison twins... C'mon man. Stop the nonsense.

Last edited:
Nice retort, guy. I'm very hurt. :lol:

Been in here all season talmbout "worst group of guards Cals ever had".... Dude, if you really think Hagans/Herro/Johnson/Quickley are worse than freaking Ryan Harrow/Archie Goodwin and freshman year Harrison twins... C'mon man. Stop the nonsense.
Bc quickly 5ppg and Hagans 8 ppg is equal to Aaron Harrison 14 ppg and Andrew 10 & 4.

I get it you feel confindent in this year but let’s not talk silly’s. Herro legit and I don’t consider Johnson a guard. Like I said those two guards are weak and they will cost cal.

Looking at the last eight teams I really feel like Gonzaga gonna take it all

Texas Tech might actually be their most difficult game

Bc quickly 5ppg and Hagans 8 ppg is equal to Aaron Harrison 14 ppg and Andrew 10 & 4.

I get it you feel confindent in this year but let’s not talk silly’s. Herro legit and I don’t consider Johnson a guard. Like I said those two guards are weak and they will cost cal.

Smh. Already backtracking.

Sorry as Kentucky guards bout to big Cal in the ***

U.K. has the worst guards I’ve ever seen Cal have.

You said "guards". You did not specify "Hagans and Quickley"... Herro is one of those guards. And Keldon Johnson is 6'5" bro. He's a guard too. You playing semantics tryina make your awful take look better.

Screenshot_20190330-101302_QuickPic~01.jpg
Screenshot_20190330-101231_QuickPic~01.jpg
Screenshot_20190330-101212_QuickPic~01.jpg

there's no way Michigan state loses to duke

don't get wrong duke is a good team..there just a young core

I'm as confident as I've been going into a Duke match-up given the run we've been on since losing to Indiana, but I can't put anything past Coach K. If we maintain our averages (shooting and free throw percentages), I like our chances.

Vols/Purdue:
@suavamente, I honestly wasn’t worried when Tennessee went down 12 going into halftime. Barnes wasn’t executing Tennessee’s proper offense. Vols were settling for outside jumpers instead of getting buckets in the paint with Grant and Scho. I did think Bowden’s missed FT would come back to hurt. He missed like three of four, or five of six, before halftime. Kinda the way I felt missed FT would hurt Auburn if UNC managed to come back last night.

Turner brought the Vols back so it’s hard to be fully mad at his bone-headed foul on Edwards’s deep three in the right corner. In real time, I didn’t know if it was truly a foul. If I watch replays today, I’m guessing it probably was. Also thought Carsen dribbled the ball off his leg/foot when Williams blocked him with like 2.5 seconds to go. Vols obviously lost time when the refs mismanaged the clock. Rick Barnes would be the one to try to make two passes and call TO for the last shot.

Overall, Tennessee fought back with Turner and posting Scho on the low block. Grant’s foul trouble didn’t help late but nobody expected Cline to snap. The boy can shoot, don’t get me wrong, but he was frying from catch-and-shoots, off the dribble, late in the shot clock, etc. Carsen will always take some shots that make you scratch your head. That will really hurt against UVA. I doubt Cline shoots the ball at that type of volume again.

I’ve been doubting Purdue a lot this tourney but the Virginia matchup is not tailor-made for their style, IMO. UVA is bound to click offensively, as they haven’t yet. Didn’t check numbers, but Guy has felt cold with his shot all tourney.

Back
Top Bottom