The College Basketball Post

They paying to keep that pipeline to DC open....

I need to see some improvement from Pargo and the Zags...

And I am anxious to see Steph at PG this year.

If he'a able to make the transition seamlessly, his draft stock will shoot up.

got themselves a good one again with Wally Judge. Obviously no beasley tho.

2436893319_b5247e7f45.jpg

Does this guy look like a Cal disciple or what?
laugh.gif

wonder how many violations he's broken already

AMHERST, Mass. - I took a trip to UMass yesterday afternoon, caught practice and then took in the Celtics exhibition opener against the Philadelphia 76ers.
If Sean Carter was eligible this season, UMass would have a legitimate chance at contending for the A-10 title.

However, the Oregon State transfer will sit out and have three years left. That means the Minutemen, as they did a year ago under former coach Travis Ford,will rely on perimeter players.

Chris Lowe is a senior who has run the team for the better part of his first three years in Amherst. Ricky Harris had a break-through season last year,averaging 18.2 points per game. Anthony Gurley, a local kid who transferred in from Wake Forest, should slide into the role vacated by last year's leadingscorer, Gary Forbes (19.4), who also averaged 7.5 boards per game.

``We're going to have to fill that," Harris said. ``We're all going to have to rebound better."

That's not going to be easy with three guards that probably stand 6-3 (Gurley), 6-1 (Harris) and 6-foot (Lowe.).

Tony Gaffney, a role guy a year ago, has already impressed new coach Derek Kellogg with his length and athleticism. Look for him to start along with the threeguards.

Now the question is who will step up in the middle.

The candidates are Luke Bonner, a senior who averaged 3.5 points and 2.5 rebounds last season, and Tyrell ####, a 6-foot-9 freshman who needs toget into better shape.

``Luke's got to give us more than he's given in the past and I'm going to put a lot of pressure on Tyrell," Kellogg said. "He's gotto get himself in the best shape of his life, but his attitude's been great."

Carter is the guy who would come right in and make an impact because of his size and athleticism, but he won't be eligible until next season. Kellogg willalso add UConn transfer Doug Wiggins, who should step in and replace Lowe.

Kellogg is realistic about trying to get his alma mater back to what it was when John Calipari led UMass to the Final Four.

``I'm trying to use the blueprint that he had here and also at Memphis," Kellogg said.

That means getting guys with a chip on their shoulder, playing a difficult non-conference schedule and trying to increase the television exposure - among otherthings.

Kellogg speaks highly of the senior leadership with Lowe, Gaffney and Bonner and said his biggest shock came when watching Harris.

``I didn't realize how tough and competitive he is," Kellogg said.

Lowe, who played three years in Ford's system in which there really wasn't a bad shot, said picking up the Dribble Drive hasn't been nearly asdifficult as he figured. Ditto for Harris.

``It's just a lot of repetition, but it's not that big of a difference," Lowe said.

``The terminology is weird, but after a few weeks we started to get the hang of it," Harris added.

laugh.gif
....Those two dirtbags are spitting images of one another. Wonder howmany prostitutes he's got lined up for his recruits.

laugh.gif
that pic is so slimeball-#!%.

and allen, i really wish you'd quote your articles.
glasses.gif

EDIT:
eek.gif
you can't say "i s h"?

PH2008101403204.jpg

[h1]Hoyas Expect to Pick Up the Pace This Season[/h1]

By Liz Clarke
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 15, 2008; Page E07

With the departure of 7-foot-2 center Roy Hibbert, themost prolific among an invaluable quartet of graduating seniors, the style of the Georgetown men's basketball team is likely to change thisseason, Coach John Thompson III said yesterday.

But to a man, the Hoyas' top returning players insist there's no reason their aspirations should change, too.

"Not at all! We have one common goal, and that's to win a championship," guard Jessie Sapp, the lone returning senior starter, said duringyesterday's preseason media day at McDonough Arena.

Anchored by Hibbert, Jonathan Wallace, Patrick Ewing Jr. and Tyler Crawford, Georgetown's 2007-08 squad won its secondconsecutive Big East regular season title and earnedits third consecutive trip to the NCAA tournament, where an upstart Davidson squad stalled its run in the second round.

But as much as he cherished those seniors, Thompson made clear that he stopped lamenting their departures long ago.

"Everyone who has followed us and been around knows how special that group is to me," Thompson said. "But they're gone. We'renot going to dwell on who's not here; we're going to dwell on the guys who are here."

That list includes familiar faces such as Sapp, eager to take on a bigger leadership role; junior forward DaJuan Summers; and sophomore guard Austin Freeman.

It also includes sophomore guard Chris Wright, a prepstandout from Bowie who missed the bulk of last season with a foot injury. Now healthy, Wright has the potential to alter the Hoyas' approach as much asany player, given his speed.

ad_label_leftjust.gif

The Hoyas' retooled front court also should boast more quickness with Greg Monroe, a highly touted 6-11 freshman, in the mix.

As a result, Thompson said the team would likely play a more up-tempo game -- provided, of course, that its foundation remains intact.

"This team has the aptitude and athletic ability to play at a faster pace than the team in the past," Thompson said. "But at the same time,they understand that end-of-the-game, half-court execution is what wins games."

Thompson took pains to say that Wright wouldn't simply be plugged into Wallace's former role at point guard. Nor will Monroe simply step intoHibbert's shoes down low.

A college basketball team is perpetually in flux, Thompson noted. And it was evident that he relishes the coaching challenge it presents -- not of simplyswapping new players for old, but of finding the style of basketball that suits his players' skills best.

It's a process that the Hoyas will work on in the coming weeks as they prepare for their season opener against Jacksonville on Nov. 17.

"We have to figure out how this group is gonna win," Thompson said. "That's always how I've done things: We figure it out."

and allen, i really wish you'd quote your articles.
glasses.gif

will do

TOP TEN SLEEPERS: 08-09

1. Austin Daye: 6'10", Sophomore, Small Forward, Gonzaga

Most other years a freshman like Daye would have gotten plenty of attention nationally, even playing in the WCC. Of course, with a class like last season's, the 6'10" small forward was just another player lost in the shuffle; expect to here this name much more often in the future though. Right now, Daye does a lot of things well, but nothing exceptionally. He shoots better than 40% from beyond the arc (off the charts for a player his size in college), but does so on a limited number of shots. His ball handling skills are excellent for a player at his stage of development with his frame and he shows the ability to dribble with either hand comfortably in the open floor. If Daye can add a little weight (he weighs a rail thin 190), improve his decision making on offense, and sure up his defense, he could develop into one of the top wing players in his class.

2. Dar Tucker: 6'4", Sophomore, Small Forward, Depaul

If you haven't heard of Dar Tucker yet, keep your eyes peeled as the highlight reels start to pile up. Despite being an undersized small forward, the sophomore can elevate with any player in the Big East. He is a versatile scorer and finished 8[sup]th[/sup] amongst a very deep freshman class in points per 40 minutes. The two biggest knocks against Tucker last season were his average ball handling skills and his tendency to get a little too trigger happy on the perimeter, both issues that he could have resolved in the off season. He has good looking form on his shot, so if he does a better job of picking and choosing his shots this season, there should be a significant rise in his 32.1% three point shooting mark from last year.

3. Gani Lawal: 6'8", Sophomore, Power Forward, Georgia Tech

Lawal may be the top returning pro prospect in the ACC not from North Carolina or Duke. Packing 220 pounds onto his 6'8" frame and possessing a wingspan greater than 7-feet, he is a physical specimen. He saw limited action last season, but showed some real flashes of ability at points during the year (13 points, 6 rebounds in 16 minutes vs. UNC). At this point Lawal's offensive game is very raw and underdeveloped. He possesses quick feet, good open floor speed and a tremendous motor. He relies on his strength and athleticism to get easy points around the rim, but as he starts to refine his skill set Lawal will become a much more effective post player. On the defensive side of the ball he primarily sticks in the paint, altering shots with his length and holding his position well on the block. Expect more playing time and great production out of Lawal this year with a season under his belt.

4. Chandler Parsons: 6'9", Sophomore, Small Forward, Florida

With the departure of Marreese Speights to the NBA, fans outside of the Gainesville area will likely get their first introduction to Parsons this season. The sophomore has great size for a perimeter player and has proven he can be a dangerous outside shooter. His release is a bit slow, so when Parsons has time to set his feet and shoot he is fine, but his percentages drop considerably when he is forced to either rush his shot or shoot off the dribble. Parsons has shown flashes of ability to attack the basket with a good first step and decent touch around the rim; he needs to get more consistent with both of these skills. In the post, he has struggled do to his lack of strength, but off season reports have him reportedly bulking up to about 215 pounds which will help him considerably on the block.

5. James Anderson: 6'6", Sophomore, Shooting Guard, Oklahoma State

Anderson announced his presence at OSU right away by eclipsing 20 points in five of his first eight games. He cooled down significantly once the Big 12 schedule started which is why he is still relatively unknown amongst many college basketball fans. Anderson is a fantastic athlete with good size and length for the position. While he got a large percentage of his points last season from hustle plays on the offensive glass and running in transition, he has the makings of a big time scoring threat thanks to the potential he shows as a shooter. Anderson attempted over five three's per game last season and still connected on 37.9% of his shots from this range. He has a real nose for the basket and great offensive instincts; improving his handles would add a tremendous amount to his game.

6. Evan Turner: 6'6", Sophomore, Shooting Guard, Ohio State

In Turner, the Buckeyes have a young, developing all-purpose player who performs exceptionally well on the defensive end of the floor. With pretty good size and length for the off guard spot, Turner is a crafty player, able to get to the basket despite lacking an explosive first step. His shooting numbers aren't anything special, but he did show improvement as the season progressed last year. Defense is where Turner made his biggest mark last season, pulling down over 4 rebounds and swiping 1.3 steals per game. He has a good knack for anticipating where opponents will be moving and with his wingspan is able to deflect a lot of passes. The biggest thing to keep an eye on this year will be if he starts making the move over to the point guard spot. Turner struggled with turnovers last year, but with the departure of Jamar Butler, he will be expected to handle some of the floor general responsibilities.

7. Lee Cummard: 6'7", Senior, Shooting Guard, BYU

It can be hard to make a name for yourself on the national scale when you call the Mountain West Conference home. Trent Plaisted did it last season, now it's time for Lee Cummard to join him. The senior is one of the deadliest perimeter shooters in the country, connecting on 47.2% of his 127 attempts from beyond the arc last year. Only four players in the country who shot at least 100 three's last season shot a higher percentage than Cummard did. His shooting form is absolutely text book and he is equally effective shooting from a standstill or off the dribble. Cummar's good size for the 2-guard position makes it very easy for him to pull up and fire over other defenders. He is a good athlete, showing good open floor speed and explosiveness. He needs to improve his ball handling skills though in addition to getting a little stronger in his upper body.

8. LaceDarius Dunn: 6'4", Sophomore, Shooting Guard, Baylor

Dunn flew under the radar last year playing behind a loaded Baylor backcourt that included the likes of Curtis Jerrells and Henry Dugat. After a season in which he was the third leading scorer per 40 minutes amongst all freshmen, expect Dunn to get more playing time this year. His frame may be a little undersized for the 2-guard spot from an NBA standpoint, but his solid strength allows him to be effective at the college level. The sophomore is a deadly shooter from the perimeter, connecting on 41.6% of his 5.7 three-point attempts per game. In addition to his long-range shooting prowess, Dunn is pretty effective from mid-range, able to knock down floaters with relative consistency when attacking the basket. His handles and athleticism aren't spectacular, but on a guard-rich Bears team, he should be able to spot up beyond the arc and let the other guys do the rest.

9. Chris Johnson: 6'11", Senior, Center, LSU

Johnson reminds one of last season's lottery pick and former teammate Anthony Randolph. The senior possesses the exact same type of frame, 6'11", is very thin and has a tremendous wingspan. A player like Johnson is a real roll of the dice for this type of list because he shows some amazing potential but at the same time has glaring weaknesses in his game. In one of his better games last season (19 points vs. Oklahoma State) he showed he can shoot from the outside (3-4 from beyond the arc) while also being able to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. A player as tall and as athletic as Johnson, with that combination of developing skills, particularly in a conference like the SEC, is an alluring prospect. But he still needs a lot of polishing, particularly in the consistency of his jumper. He severely needs to add weight and strength to his frame as well if he wants to improve on his 6.6 rebounds per game mark from a season ago.

10. Larry Sanders: 6'9", Sophomore, Power Forward, Virginia Commonwealth
Sanders, like so many other players that are picked for these types of lists, is being added purely because of his potential; added stress on the word potential. At a rail thin 6'9", but possessing a wing span reportedly in excess of 7 ½ feet, Sanders is a shot blocking machine. He was tops in the nation last year with 7.2 blocks per 40 minutes. In all, the sophomore averaged nearly 12 points and 9 rebounds at an adjusted pace to go along with his out of this world shot blocking rate. The downside to Sanders is he is about as raw as they come. Despite his size and length he couldn't even dunk a basketball consistently at the beginning of last season and his shot attempts are exclusively off of open looks around the rim and offensive rebounds. His footwork in the post is poor and he isn't comfortable playing with his back to the basket yet. With all of that said though, Sanders has the potential and has shown the ability (14 points, 15 rebounds in CAA Tournament vs. Towson) to become an absolutely dominating force in the CAA.

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Here to chat for a few.

Etan (New York, NY): I think you are underrating Syracuse.

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Fair point. And there are plenty of them. I just want to wait and see how Rautins and Devendorf return from injuries and then also how this team handles itself in big games again.

Brian (MA): Andy, how many and which teams do you think get to the NCAAs from the A-10? Also, which teams are best poised to challenge X for the league title out of St. Joe's, Temple, Dayton and UMass?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: It looks like one but I'm sure that will change and ultimately be at least two. I'd say Temple and Charlotte have the best chance with UMass as my sleeper.

Winston-Salem,N.C.: Is it a realistic goal for Wake Forest to win the ACC?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: A goal? Yes. Realistic? Probably not. But finishing second is certainly within reach.

Paul (Morgantown, WV): How long till WVU sniffs your top 25?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Maybe by January if they're off to a great start including beating Davidson in the Jimmy V in December.

Kevin (Schenectady, NY): Hey Andy, Any thoughts on the Terps for this year? I am big Maryland fan and always optimistic about my team. I think they are going to surprise people and being the great coach that he is, Gary Williams will get them back to the tournament.

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: That's what Gary Williams tells me. He's convinced that this team will be better than projected. The only team that seems to be out of the mix for a bid, at least in a consensus discussion among ACC folks, is Virginia.

Tom, Omaha: Creighton return almost everyone from a very young team last year. How close are they to becoming a top 25 teams?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: I probably should have had them in my post top 25 group. The Bluejays will need to go on a run and they will and then likely will be right there for the top 25 just like Drake did.

Dave (Florida): Who will finish 1st in the Big East?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Today I'll say UConn.
Tomorrow I may say Louisville.
Thursday I may say Pitt.
It's that close.
And it will likely be that fluid during the season.

Mike (Altoona, PA): Would it be crazy to think UNC could go the entire season without a loss?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Crazy? No. Unlikely? Yes.
Marcus Ginyard just went down. Things happen. I don't see this team as intimidating as say UNLV in '91.
The ACC is too tough on the road for the Tar Heels to go through unscathed. Winning the Maui Invitational and beating Michigan State in Detroit won't be a walk, either.

David Fairborn, OH: Does Cincinnati have a prayer this year?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Definitely. I like the grit of this team. Williams and Vaughn could make for quite a tandem. Don't count the Bearcats out.

Manny (NY, NY): Andy please answer! Which player(s) are key to the success of a UConn final four run?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Pretty simple: Kemba Walker has to be the playmaker, Price and Dyson the scorers and Thabeet must dominate his position inside and Jeff Adrien be a warrior on the boards.

Louis (North Carolina): Who do you think will be in the Final Four?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Can I have multiple mulligans here?
Today I lean toward: UNC, Connecticut, Louisville and Michigan State.

J (NJ): Do you really believe UConn would be better off not having Stanley or Majok suit up this year?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: I've grown tired of hearing all the hype surrounding role players who become eligible at mid-season. They usually don't have as much of an impact.

Matt (Dayton, OH): Andy, Will the new 3 point line have much affect? What teams may be hurt/helped the most?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Yes. Marginal shooters won't take as many of them. Percentages might dip a bit. But I don't think you'll see the good shooters be affected much at all.

Chris (KCMO): Can Rick Majerus turn Saint Louis into a top 25 team?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Eventually yes, but I don't see it this year.

David (Houston, TX): Just how good will Stephen Curry and Davidson be this year?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Curry should be better playing both point and shooting guard but it's hard to see how Davidson will be as good without Jason Richards. Expecting another undefeated run through the Southern Conference and an Elite Eight wouldn't be fair.

Jordan (AZ): who is going to be number two in the pac ten

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: I'm sticking with UCLA for the title and then either ASU or USC for No. 2.

David (Houston, TX): Does Miami finally have a team to compete for the ACC title this year?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: I'd be surprised if the 'Canes won the ACC as would everyone else in the country. But I do think No. 2 is up for grabs among Miami, Duke and Wake Forest. Jack McClinton should be the top combo guard in the league.

Mark (Bham, AL): From the totally out of left field category: How good can UAB be this year with Vaden back?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Vaden and Paul Delaney make the Blazers a real threat to finish second to Memphis. Davis has recruited well in Birmingham, got close a year ago to the NCAAs and should be on the doorstep again.

Bryan (Chicago): Will Indiana even be competitive this year? They have no returning scholarship players. They have a new coach. Is there an hope for the Hoosiers?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: They will be competitive. I don't doubt for a second that a Tom Crean-coached team would be competitive. Not sure how many games they'll win though.

Chris (Chapel Hill, NC) : Which team do you think will provide the biggest challenge for Carolina come March and during there regular season? You have MSU higher than ND, but I think Luke is the only guy who can handle Tyler, so that'll be the harder game should it happen, agree?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: I'd say Michigan State for two reasons: MSU defends better than Notre Dame and the game is in Detroit, not Maui.

Mike (Lexington, KY): Kentucky performed very well in confrence play last season, do you see a similar run next year? Possibly the main contender for the SEC title?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: I don't see the collapses in November and December. I'm expecting this Kentucky team to be much more steady. The glue will be Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks but we'll see how the newcomers notably Darius Miller impact this team. I don't see Kentucky winning the SEC but the NCAA is certainly realistic.

MJ, San Juan Capistrano, CA: Who wins: Saint Mary's or So. Illinois in the Wooden Tradition?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Saint Mary's. SIU can't stop Patty Mills.

Kali (Alabama): When kind of impact can I expect from UCLA's freshmen class

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Jrue Holiday will have a huge impact. I expect J'Mison Morgan will be an important frontcourt player, too.

Chris (Durham): Andy, why do you think Duke would give up that #2 spot in the ACC? I understand your concern over the lack of a post scorer right now, but scoring wasn't the issue last year. The issue was post depth. Without multiple players in the post last year, Singler wore down and was not the same player by the end of the year. With the added depth this year, I don't see that happening

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: I didn't say they would give it up but they will be challenged. I'm sure Duke feels the same way that it won't be easy to hold onto No. 2 with the talent at Wake and Miami. And if I know Duke the Blue Devils aren't conceding No. 1 to North Carolina, either.

Darrin Krumm: (Mansfield, Texas): I know they lost Beasely and Walker. But dont you think k-state should be atleast considered for a top 25 ranking? They have pullen as a top guard, Clemente who will be good, sutton, anderson, fred brown and samuels. They are all young but they have been to the playoffs before. Wouldn't that help?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: You can consider them but I just found too many teams that had more known commodities and didn't lose as much as Beasley and Walker.

ray gordonreid port orange fl 32118: QUESTION TO ANDY KATZ AT 11.40 HI ANDY WHO.WINS CAA

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: I'm going to go against the popular VCU and say Northeastern.

Palmer (Ridgefield, CT): Hey Andy! Who are your perseason All Americans?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Tyler Hansbrough, UNC
Blake Griffin, OU
Luke Harangody, Notre Dame
James Harden, Arizona State
Stephen Curry, Davidson

Kevin (OC): Andy, when will you give up your infatuation with Gonzaga? Yes, they had a few good teams, but it seems as if every year you proclaim this year's Gonzaga team is the best ever and every year they flame out in the first or second round. Why should I believe differently?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: You don't have to believe in them. They have tired out in March and I can't tell you exactly the reason other than fatigue, injuries and bad matchups. But you can't deny the regular-season success.

Dan: (Martinez, CA): How does St Mary's have a weak bench compared to Gonzaga. They have redshirt Wayne Hunter coming back who is a defensive stopper along with Yusef Smith who could start most anywhere in the WCC & Indiana big man transfer Ben Allen who is big and a deep theat. Not to mention Lucas Walker who had a grat start to the year last year before getting hurt. A lot more experience then even the Zags bench

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Here's to equal time in the WCC!

Scott (Albany NY): What's your prediction for how many teams the BE puts in the tourney? 9?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: 10
And yes that includes West Virginia.
Thanks again for hundreds of questions. We'll keep this up throughout the season.
Thanks for reading our site, too.

Originally Posted by dreClark

They paying to keep that pipeline to DC open....

I need to see some improvement from Pargo and the Zags...

And I am anxious to see Steph at PG this year.

If he'a able to make the transition seamlessly, his draft stock will shoot up.

Of course. I'm going to sound like a homer here but there is no way that he is better than Mike Hopkins.

laugh.gif
....Those two dirtbags are spitting images of one another. Wonder how many prostitutes he's got lined up for his recruits.

laugh.gif
How you gonna call the girls of Tri-Delt that?

[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
Liberty excited about the younger Curry

Thursday, August 14, 2008 | Print Entry

Quick hitters for Thursday:

• Liberty coach Ritchie McKay is expecting incoming freshman guard Seth Curry to have as much impact with the Flames as Curry's older brother, Stephen, has had with Davidson the past two seasons.

McKay isn't promising an Elite Eight run, but he clearly is putting high expectations on Seth Curry leading the Flames to the NCAA tournament.

"He's really good, but the problem is he has been compared too much to his brother," said McKay. "He's got an opportunity to come in here and play right away."

Seth Curry was hurt in the summer of 2007 with a slight hamstring pull, and that may have scared some higher level schools off him. Virginia Tech coach Seth Greenberg said he met with the Curry family and wanted Seth to come and redshirt this season, but Curry wanted to play right away. Greenberg said the younger Curry, is more of a point guard than his brother, has good vision and toughness. The Virginia Tech coach said Curry has more of an edge to him than Stephen.

The 5-foot-11 Seth Curry, who played at Charlotte Christian School (N.C.), is expected to push the tempo at the outset, McKay said.

"They both have a tremendous basketball IQ," McKay said of the Curry brothers. "I can't tell you how excited I am about him. He's been here during the summer and everyone has said he's playing really well. He will be an impact guy."

Liberty finished 7-7 in the Big South last season and 16-16 overall in McKay's first season since being fired at New Mexico.

• Saint Mary's sophomore point guard Patty Mills continues to impress at the Olympics. He was the second-leading scorer with 15 points in Australia's 106-68 victory over Iran on Thursday. Mills came off the bench to provide the spark, also dishing out five assists, picking up one steal and having only two turnovers.

• Of late, Butler has created some impressive home-and-home series with Ohio State, Stanford, UAB and Xavier, as well as competing against solid regional programs like Bradley and Drake. Butler also plays local schools Ball State and Evansville.

"There was a time when people didn't want to schedule us, but now they think of it as a good game," said second-year Butler coach Brad Stevens.

The Bulldogs, which lost key guards Mike Green and A.J. Graves off last season's second-round NCAA tournament team, aren't looking to rebuild. Stevens is convinced the Bulldogs are in position to just retool.

That's why signing up for road games at Ohio State, Xavier, Bradley, Drake and the BracketBuster doesn't bother him at all. The home slate of UAB, Northwestern, Evansville, Ball State and Florida Gulf Coast is certainly manageable. The contract with Ohio State and former Butler coach Thad Matta is a four-year deal, with the Buckeyes coming to Hinkle Fieldhouse in 2009 like they did in 2007.

Stevens said the Stanford series will start in 2009 when the Bulldogs play the Cardinal en route to playing in the Anaheim Classic. The Cardinal will then return the game in 2010. Stevens said he's also taking the Bulldogs on a trip to Italy in the summer of 2009 when all five newcomers would be sophomores. If Butler had taken a summer trip this year, the freshmen wouldn't have been able to attend under NCAA rules. Stevens said he considered a Labor Day trip but didn't want to shortchange the experience of taking a team overseas.

Stevens said despite the program's recent success, the Bulldogs are not looking at big-name recruits. While they would certainly take highly touted players, Butler is looking for "fit" four-year players who buy into the Butler experience and have a "passion for being on a team."
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

[h1]Louisville F Williams injures knee[/h1]

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP)-Louisville senior forward Terrence Williams injured his right knee in a pickup game and will be out four to six weeks.

Williams tore the medial meniscus in his right knee and will have surgery in the next few days, the school said in a statement.

Coach Rick Pitino said he was relieved Williams didn't tear the anterior cruciate ligament and will only be out a short period.

Williams averaged 11.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.5 assists last season. He had two triple-doubles as a junior. Williams is 48th on the career scoring list at Louisville with 1,102 points.

Man, I know the injury bug and Louisville go hand in hand...but ALREADY!!!! Luckily he'll be ok for the start of the season.

You know, this team without Stanley and Miles...does not look NEARLY as good or frightening.

And there has to be concerns if this is a winning cast of players.

[table][tr][td]
Head coach: Jim Calhoun.
Last season: 24-9 overall, 13-5 in the Big East.
Postseason: Earned at-large bid to NCAA tournament. Lost to San Diego 70-69 in overtime in first round.[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Breakdown: Probable starters | Backcourt | Frontcourt | Offense | Defense | Outlook[/td] [/tr][/table]
http://

Backcourt

When A.J. Price went down with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the firsthalf of UConn's NCAA tournament opener against San Diego, he took the Huskies' hopes of a deep run with him. The Toreros sprung the upset, and coachJim Calhoun was left to wonder what if.

conhead_ataglance_30.jpg

0120-CONNAJPRICE_250.JPG
[size=-2]Connecticut guard A.J. Price has fully recovered from a torn ACL.[/size]

[table][tr][td]PROBABLE STARTING FIVE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G A.J. Price, 6-2/Sr.
14.5 ppg, 5.8 apg, 3.5 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Jerome Dyson, 6-4/Jr.
12.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Craig Austrie, 6-3/Sr.
7.5 ppg, 1.7 apg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C Hasheem Thabeet, 7-3/Jr.
10.5 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 4.5 bpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Jeff Adrien, 6-7/Sr.
14.8 ppg, 9.1 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TOP RESERVES[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Kemba Walker, 6-1/Fr.
Rivals.com five-star prospect[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Gavin Edwards, 6-9/Jr
2.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg[/td] [/tr][/table]
Price's subsequent surgery and rehab have gone perfectly. He already says he is 100 percent and ready to go full speed at the start of practice. It's agood thing, too, because a healthy Price makes the Huskies a threat to win Calhoun's third national title in the past 10 years. Price had a breakthroughseason as a sophomore, ranking 15th in the Big East in scoring and second in assists. He dramatically improved his outside shot, and that created more room forhim to get past defenders and set up teammates. Price didn't make enough 3-pointers per game to qualify for the Big East rankings, but his 38.9 shootingpercentage would have ranked sixth. His assist-to-turnover ratio was fourth in the Big East. And the best news: He's not satisfied with last season.
Jerome Dyson will start alongside Price. He was suspended for a portion oflast season by Calhoun and missed nine games, and he didn't make a start after returning from the suspension for the Huskies' final six games. Still,he remains a big-time scoring threat. Prior to the suspension he was averaging 14.3 points per game and had scored 20 or more on five occasions. He'scapable of carrying the Huskies on the offensive end, not that they should ever need it with the weapons around him.

The third starter in the backcourt will be senior Craig Austrie, who made 16starts last season and averaged 8.7 points per game in Big East play. He's a veteran who shoots it decently from the outside and plays within thesystem.

Five-star freshman point guard Kemba Walker is the heir apparentto Price and will play alongside him at times this season. He wowed Davidson coach Bob McKillop, who guided Walker on the U.S. 18U Team at the FIBA AmericasChampionship. "He's a floor general, a real throwback point guard," McKillop told Rivals.com. "He wants to make his teammates better beforedoing anything else. He has great ability to knock the '3' down or get to the rim and draw fouls."

Frontcourt

The frontcourt has a pair of stalwarts in forward Jeff Adrien and centerHasheem Thabeet. Adrien enters his third year as a starter and Thabeet hissecond, and they control the boards as well as any duo in the country.

Adrien had 17 double-doubles last season and ranked third in the Big East in rebounding. Thabeet had seven double-doubles and ranked 10th in the Big East inrebounding. The Huskies ranked No. 1 in the Big East in rebounding margin (plus 6.4).

Adrien scored in double figures in the Huskies' final 25 games. He scored between nine and 20 points in all but four games last season.

Thabeet ranked first in the Big East and third nationally in blocked shots. He has outstanding spring and athletic ability for someone his height. Lastseason he began to show improvement on the offensive end, significantly raising his scoring average (from 6.2 ppg to 10.5 ppg), shooting percentage (55.4 to60.3) and free-throw percentage (51.3 to 69.
glasses.gif
. If he continues to show that type of improvement, he will become one of the scariest matchups of thisseason.

There isn't a lot of depth up front. Forward Gavin Edwards, a 6-9 junior,averaged 2.9 points, 1.6 rebounds and 7.9 minutes in 31 games last season.

Offense

There's no question that the Huskies' starting lineup has as much talent as any in the country. The biggest questions are depth and perimetershooting. Can they get by with a six- or seven-man rotation? Can they win in March with only one player (Price) who made more than 40 3-pointers? The guardshave plenty of talent, but the only real perimeter threats are the point guards, Price and Walker, which probably is not ideal. But it also lends to the realpossibility of seeing them play extended minutes together. The frontcourt is in good hands - big, strong ones, too - in Thabeet and Adrien. The more Thabeetdevelops on the offensive end, the more room everyone around him will have. This is a team that should find its way into the Final Four.

[table][tr][td]
conhead_seasonlook_30.jpg
http://[/td] [/tr][tr][td]There's no question that the Huskies' starting lineup has as much talent as any in the country. The biggest questions are depth and perimeter shooting. Can they get by with a six- or seven-man rotation? Can they win in March with only one player (Price) who made more than 40 3-pointers? The guards have plenty of talent, but the only real perimeter threats are the point guards, Price and Walker, which probably is not ideal. But it also lends to the real possibility of seeing them play extended minutes together. The frontcourt is in good hands - big, strong ones, too - in Thabeet and Adrien. The more Thabeet develops on the offensive end, the more room everyone around him will have. This is a team that should find its way into the Final Four.[/td] [/tr][/table]
Defense

The Huskies play mostly man-to-man.

Shoes to Fill

Stanley Robinson. Robinson, a forward, averaged 10.4 points and 6.5 rebounds and was second on the team in blocked shots. On analready-thin front line, his departure could have a significant impact. Robinson is not enrolled for the first semester and is working on some personal issuesand his academics. The Huskies are hopeful he could return for the second semester.

Must Step Up

Price. If this is anyone's team, it's his. He made huge strides last season and became a first-team All-Big East performer. If hecontinues to improve and develops his leadership skills, the Huskies will be tough to beat.

Impact Newcomer

Walker. McKillop said Walker was the leader of the U.S. 18U team from "the first day of tryouts until the final buzzer againstArgentina (in the gold-medal game)." That's high praise, and you can bet you'll see Walker for 20-25 minutes per game.

Scott Drew is at it again...

2009 5-star PF Latavious Williams is on the verge of committing to Baylor. He's ranked as the number 15 prospect in the nation on Rivals.

That gives Baylor 3 PF in this 2009 class alone, plus another one next year (including the two they got from the 2008 class...).

[h1]Carolina blues: Worst case scenarios for nation's best ensemble[/h1]Oct. 15, 2008
By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Gary your opinion!
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The start of official practice is approaching fast (just two more days!), meaning you are soon to be overwhelmed withNorth Carolina articles, most of which will detail how the Tar Heels are returning fivestarters from a 36-win team and thus should win the national title. And those articles will make a good point because, you know, they'll be true. NorthCarolina really should be awesome, and I plan to write that column someday too.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But not today.[/font]
[table][tr][td]
img11037057.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]The last thing UNC wants to see is a guy like Ty Lawson suffering a major injury. (Getty Images)[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table][font=Arial, Helvetica]Today I'm Debbie Downer.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Or better yet, Parrish Pessimist.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Because today I'm explaining why UNC is no sure thing to win the national title.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]That's the great part about college basketball, the uncertainty of it all thanks to the unknown and thethree-week win-or-go-home event that decides our national champion. Regardless of whether you are North Carolina or North Carolina A&T, if you want to holdthe trophy you have to win six consecutive games on neutral courts, and if history tells us anything it's that the best teams don't always make itthrough.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Was Houston better than N.C. State in 1983?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Yes.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Was Georgetown better than Villanova in 1985?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Was UNLV better than Duke in 1991?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But the Cougars, Hoyas and Runnin' Rebels each lost, which means it's possible North Carolina could lose justthe same. To be clear, I'm not predicting it; the Tar Heels are the favorites around these parts until I say otherwise. But Parrish Pessimist isalways worrying about what could go wrong. So here's a list of four things that might cost UNC and turn a dream season into a Nightmare on FranklinStreet.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Potential nightmare No. 1: Injures[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]This is the obvious concern for any team, including UNC given how Marcus Ginyard is already out until December. Obviously, that won't have along-term effect on North Carolina because A) it's not March, and B) it's only Ginyard.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But what if Ty Lawson goesdown?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Or even worse, Tyler Hansbrough?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]As the Patriots are finding out, sometimes a single guy can be the difference between a great season and areally good season. Lawson and Hansbrough (and maybe even WayneEllington) are those types of guys. So in a sport where knees injuries (hello,Terrence Williams!) come out of nowhere, a season-altering injury is always just a bad moment away.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Potential nightmare No. 2: Jealousy[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The Tar Heels all play nice, and perhaps that's because they genuinely get along and enjoy what's happening.I have no reason to think otherwise. But honestly, isn't there a point where somebody on the roster has to get jealous of all the attention Hansbroughreceives?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Lawson is arguably the best point guard in America and Ellington is among the top shooting guards. But did you seethem on the cover of the Athlonmagazine?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Or the Sporting News magazine?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Or the Lindy'smagazine?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Of course not.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But Hansbrough is on all three.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]And it's fair to wonder if this will ever become a problem and what might happen if it does.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Potential nightmare No. 3: Other talented teams playing great[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Without question, North Carolina is the most talented team in America.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]It's not even close.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]We've been over this already.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But Rick Pitino (at Louisville), Jim Calhoun (at Connecticut), John Thompson III (at Georgetown) and even Mark Few(at Gonzaga) have the necessary amount of future professionals on their rosters to knock off North Carolina in a one-game setting in March. It's the oldanything-can-happen theory. And though nobody should be as talented or as good as the Tar Heels, there will be a handful of teams talented enough andgood enough to make something happen that North Carolina fans are hoping doesn't.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Potential nightmare No. 4: Bad game at wrong time[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Do you recall what I wrote about that win-or-go-home format?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Such a set-up ensures one bad game could screw-up everything this season the same way one bad game screwed-upeverything last season. Remember, North Carolina was actually the favorite heading into the 2008 NCAA tournament. The smart money was on the Tar Heelswinning it all. But then they came out flat against Kansas in the Final Four, fell behind 40-12, lost 84-66 and just like that -- poof! -- the dreamsof a national title were gone.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]In other words, the Tar Heels can take a day off in November, December, January, February or even early March. Butonce the NCAA tournament starts they'll have to show up every game or run the risk of making Hansbrough go down as one of the greatest college players tonever win a national title, and that's not the kind of label any coverboy desires or deserves.[/font]

Originally Posted by tmay407

Scott Drew is at it again...

2009 5-star PF Latavious Williams is on the verge of committing to Baylor. He's ranked as the number 15 prospect in the nation on Rivals.

That gives Baylor 3 PF in this 2009 class alone, plus another one next year (including the two they got from the 2008 class...).
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Cory Jefferson, Quincy Acy, Anthony Jones...

Did Jordan Hamilton officially commit to Texas?

Originally Posted by MessiahChild

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Here to chat for a few.

Etan (New York, NY): I think you are underrating Syracuse.

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: Fair point. And there are plenty of them. I just want to wait and see how Rautins and Devendorf return from injuries and then also how this team handles itself in big games again.

Scott (Albany NY): What's your prediction for how many teams the BE puts in the tourney? 9?

sn2.gif
Andy Katz: 10
And yes that includes West Virginia.
Thanks again for hundreds of questions. We'll keep this up throughout the season.
Thanks for reading our site, too.

Good stuff. The defiantly could get ten.

And for all the hype Austin Daye gets he better become something. He didn't do much for me last year.

And Allen what kind of production you think Dajuan will do this year?
nerd.gif

October 15, 2008
[h1]New Big 12 school leads for Williams[/h1]
Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

Talk about it in The Tribal Council
Once on the verge of committing to a Big 12 school, five-star prospect Latavious Williams has relocated to Humble (Texas) Christian Life Center. There has also been a shake up in his recruitment, and a new Big 12 school is at the top of the 6-foot-7, 195-pound forward's school list.

[table][tr][td]
LATAVIOUSWILLIAMS6_5200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Williams is one of the top athletes in the 2009 class.[/td] [/tr][/table]Last spring Williams was a wanted man, especially after coaches saw his dominating performances at the Kingwood Classic. At the time there was also strong speculation that a commitment to Kansas State could occur at any moment.

Then questions arose about Williams' academic status. Schools cooled on his recruitment, and the Mississippi native relocated from Progressive Christian on the east coast to Christian Life Center in the heart of Texas.

Baylor is now in the driver's seat in Williams' recruitment.

"Baylor is number one by far," said Williams' travel team coach Scooter Owens of the Brandon Bass Elite. "They never stopped recruiting him. From day one they said they were going to hang in there with Latavious, and Latavious is a loyal kid."

Florida State and Memphis are the other two schools with a strong presence in Williams' recruitment.

As for his academic progress, Williams has a legitimate shot at qualifying as a 2009 prospect according to Owens.

"It's looking really good for Latavious to qualify," said Owens. "A lot of schools are trying to get back in with him now, but he really isn't interested in the schools that backed out. He'll listen to the new ones, though, like Memphis."

Williams is the No. 15 ranked prospect in the Rivals150.

Latavious Williams scouting report:

An exceptional athlete with the capacity of playing with an impressive energy level, Williams has drawn comparisons to Tyrus Thomas of the Chicago Bulls. Assaulting the rim is his forte, but Williams also has touch on his jumper out to 17-feet and can make plays with the basketball. Defensively, he is an imposing presence with his shot blocking ability.

Did Jordan Hamilton officially commit to Texas?
Yeah...in the most awkward interview ever..still tryin to find the vid. Good get tho.
And Allen what kind of production you think Dajuan will do this year?
nerd.gif

Season is on his shoulders. I expect big things. Having an offseason this year which he didn't last should really be beneficial. Still wish hecould play the 3 more often. If we can get him at the 3 and Freeman at the 2 at times...that's a nightmare to match up with.

Yeah...in the most awkward interview ever..still tryin to find the vid. Good get tho.
laugh.gif
When you find it post it up...

Are Hamilton and Avery one-and-done types? Or will they be in Austin in 2010 to get busy with Tristan Thompson?
sick.gif

If Huggins got Joe Alexander to play like a man..

what he could do with this kid....who has only needed some focus and a kick in the pants..

sick.gif

Ebanks and Kevin Jones on the wing > Joe

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Ebanks is a headcase. My boy used to play AAU with him, and he is just a goon.
And that works under Huggins
laugh.gif

yeah, in that area cake

You know, this team without Stanley and Miles...does not look NEARLY as good or frightening.
It's looking good that Stanley Robinson will be back with the squad by December. He finished up classes in Alabama this summer and is nowworking construction in Willimantic (the town over from Storrs)
laugh.gif

And for all the hype Austin Daye gets he better become something. He didn't do much for me last year.
That's what I hate about the media the most. They hype up an individual and suddenly the onus is on the player to live up to othersstandards. It's not like the player came out, punchin' his chest, saying how good he is.

Back
Top Bottom