The College Basketball Post

[h1]Syracuse U. dean retires, rejects confidentiality agreement after handling men's basketball sex assault case[/h1]
By Melanie Hicken, The Daily Orange Oct 21, 3:21 EDT
yca_sports-hi.png

[h2]Printable View[/h2]Return to Original

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (U-WIRE) - David Potter, a former associate dean in The College of Arts and Sciences, retired from Syracuse University Thursday, forgoing six months of pay after refusing to sign an agreement containing a confidentiality clause.

The agreement would have reduced Potter's role on campus and begun to phase him out of the university. To Potter, it contained "provisions so deeply offensive and unacceptable that I could never agree to sign such a document," he said in an e-mail obtained by The Daily Orange sent by Potter to Chancellor Nancy Cantor, Vice Chancellor and Provost Eric Spina and other senior administrators.

The agreement was proposed by new Arts and Sciences Dean George Langford, but Potter said he believes it may have come from officials higher up in the university administration. Potter said he thought the proposed agreement was linked to his involvement in a Judicial Affairs case last fall stemming from the alleged sexual assault of a female student by three members of the Syracuse men's basketball team and another student.

"All of these things point in the direction someone other than Dean Langford was concerned," Potter said. "I do think there is a real possibility this may in fact be a response to my involvement when I stepped forward and represented the young woman when the university counsel was insisting the matter was concluded without an appropriate hearing."

Eric Spina, vice chancellor and provost, said this was not the case. "From my perspective this has been the dean's decisions here," he said, referring to Langford.

University spokesman Kevin Morrow said he could not comment because it is university policy not to comment on personnel issues.

In March, Potter petitioned to reopen the assault case on behalf of the female student because an informal agreement of conclusion was made by the university, basketball players and their lawyers. The agreement was never signed by the female student. Potter's petition reopened the case and it subsequently went to a Judicial Affairs panel in August, where the players were cleared of Code of Conduct assault charges. Although they were cleared of the charges, the three players were all placed on probation until spring 2011.

An Onondaga County grand jury also rejected to press criminal charges against the players in August.

While associate dean of student services, Potter had spoken frequently with both the female student who made the sexual assault allegations and her mother. The student was enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences.

"When the young woman revealed to me," Potter said, "that she had been seeking a hearing and had been in frequent contact with both Department of Public Safety and the director of Judicial Affairs, and that both offices told her they could no longer be in contact with her about the case, I knew something very serious had occurred, which appeared to deny her rights as a student.

"I knew immediately I might get fired over it," Potter said of petitioning to reopen the case. "But I knew I had to do it."

Potter's early retirement follows the abrupt departure of four high-ranking Department of Student Affairs officials this summer, three of whom sources close to the situation confirm were also involved in handling the sexual assault case.

On June 3, the university announced Barry Wells, senior vice president and dean of student affairs, would be stepping down to serve as a consultant. Three other officials were terminated for unknown reasons that day: Anastasia Urtz, associate vice president and dean of students; Juanita Perez Williams, associate dean of students; and Jeannette Steffes, associate vice president for student affairs. Sources confirm Urtz, Williams and Wells were involved in the case. The university has yet to release a statement about the firings.

In June, Potter stepped down from associate dean after more than 10 years in the College of Arts and Sciences and 19 years with the university, because he said he felt it was the right time to take a smaller role. At that time, he was appointed to a part-time position for the 2008-09 academic year by Cathryn Newton, the outgoing dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, who also stepped down.

But Potter's year at the university was cut short.

"Despite my letter of appointment from Dean Newton for this year, Dean Langford informed in September, at only our second meeting, of his intentions to phase out my employment at the university within six months for budgetary reasons," Potter said in his e-mail to Cantor and other administrators. "He also insisted that I work from home."

Langford said he asked Potter to take on a special project researching the kinds of student services other universities offer. He said he was surprised when he found out Potter had instead decided to retire because he thought Potter "was excited about the project."

After discussing the proposed agreement in a "preliminary way" with Langford and Neil Strodel, associate vice president of human resources, Potter received, via e-mail, the proposed agreement which appointed him to a "special project" and would allow him to keep his current salary, which was half of his salary as associate dean.

The agreement, which has been obtained by The Daily Orange, was titled "Re: Elimination of Position and Transition from Employment."

Included in the agreement was a confidentiality clause stating: "As you can appreciate, the terms of this arrangement must be kept confidential - these arrangements are between you and the university …You also agree that you will not make or publish any written or oral statement or remark, including but not limited to, the repetition or distribution of derogatory rumors, allegations, negative reports or comments which are disparaging, deleterious or damaging to the integrity, reputation or goodwill of the university, its employees, its administration or any of its affiliates."

Potter described the agreement as a "carrot and stick arrangement" because retaining his salary was linked to signing the agreement. "These are not the easiest of times for people newly retiring," he said. "But there is no way at all that I would sign such a thing."

"The language in the agreement is standard language commonly used by human resources for an appointment like this," Langford said.

Potter never signed the document.

But Thursday, Dean Langford sent out a memo to his cabinet announcing Potter's acceptance of the special project and that he would be working from home. Potter said he was surprised by the memo, which he called "inaccurate." That day, Potter signed his official retirement papers. He sent the e-mail to Cantor and others announcing his retirement on Friday.

"It is a decision not without costs, not the least of which is the salary I would have received for the next six months had I signed the agreement and worked from home," he said in the e-mail.

Both Langford and Morrow, the university spokesman, praised Potter for his many years at the university.

"David has long been a very valued member of the university community," Morrow said. "He has been just a wonderful individual working with students in Arts and Sciences through the years. There are many students who have benefited from his guidance, and that is something that they and the institution are very appreciative of."

++## is about to hit the fan on The Hill. The part I bolded truly disgusts me. Those people, if you can call them that, put aside justice for awoman in exchange for possibly making the tournament. No offense to SCuse7 but Onondaga County is a disgusting place and why anyone would live there is beyondme. After I graduate I will never go back there and the school had better not send any donation letters the tuition I pay is donation enough.

I didn't know that they fired Dean Williams also. She was strongly against Greek Life at SU but I guess she also stood up against the administration inthis matter so she had to go.

Excuse any rant I have made but rape is one of the worst offenses that you can commit on another human being.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Has anybody in the country raised their stock more than Patty Mills????

Jeez.....
Word.

He was definitely doing his things at the Olympics, though ...

Originally Posted by allen3xis

RIEK PASSES FIRST TEST

Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin wasn't allowed to comment, but sourcestold FOXSports.com that freshman big man John Riek passed the SAT and nowjust needs the necessary score on the TOEFL test (a test for
English as a foreign language) and he'll be able to play for theBearcats in the second semester.

This would be huge for Cronin & Co., who have a healthy Mike Williams andfreshman Yancy Gates up front already.Williams hasn't played a game in nearly two years when he was a reserve forward
at Texas. He sat out last season due to a ruptured Achilles. ``I'm fine. I'm better now than I was two years ago," Williams said. ``I'm stronger."

This is
pimp.gif
. Riek is definitely going to be a big help for us. How many teams have a 7'2 , athletic player that they can bring off of the bench? Wedon't even need him to score. All we need is for him to be a defensive presence and to rebound.

RellBettaBlues wrote:
2439.gif
24. UNLV

Update: Lon Kruger has done a phenomenal job of rekindling the Runnin' Rebels in Vegas. His teams win, get to the NCAAs and advance. UNLV should be once again a showstopper in Vegas for its ability to stay atop the Mountain West. Veterans Wink Adams and Joe Darger are the base for an incoming class that will play plenty. The Rebels went to Australia, and Kruger said he was pleased with the play of point Tre'Von Willis, and Beas Hamga inside. The Rebels don't have that star player who is going to wow you, but they defend, play smart and limit their mistakes.
Concern: The Runnin' Rebels can be offensively challenged at times. If there are more scoring options, the Rebels can be a steady team throughout the season. This team might lack star power, but the overall team components will make this squad one to watch throughout the year. Nonconference highlights: The best one is a trip to Louisville on New Year's Eve. We'll be able to tell a lot about the Runnin' Rebels after that game heading into the Mountain West. There are other regional matchups that will be telling -- such as how they handle at Nevada, Cal, at UTEP, San Diego and, of course, Arizona -- but the Rebels need to be competitive against the Cardinals to prove they're worthy of a lofty ranking.
Sleeeeperrrrrrrr. . . . . . No one knows about us in the Desert, but they will. Next year will be even crazier. .

UNLV's gona to the Sweet 16 IMO.

Riek would be a presence just off his size..but boy, does he need a lota work.

Not related to basketball but there was another sexual assault involving four members of the football team. In the words of allen, what is in the water uphere?

Sleeeeperrrrrrrr. . . . . . No one knows about us in the Desert, but they will. Next year will be even crazier. .
Um, nobody is sleeping on UNLV guy
laugh.gif

Why do fanboys love screaming "Don't sleep on us!" just to show they're reppin' their squad? We've known about UNLV for the last twoyears and they have one of the top 10 guards in the country (Wink).

Has anybody in the country raised their stock more than Patty Mills????

Jeez.....

Imagine him and Pargo goin' at it this year?!
eek.gif

Where's the love?

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 | PrintEntry

Posted by Jay Bilas
What makes a player underrated or underappreciated? Quick, name the player of the year in the Mountain West Conference lastseason. … Can you name him? That's one of the things that makes a player underrated. There are a bunch of guys who can really play, but only so much spacein newspapers and television shows to praise them. Well, here are a few players whom you should know and keep an eye on this season. They have a chance to havebig years.
Derrick Brown, Xavier: Brown is long-armed, athletic and can impact a game in a variety of ways. In 37 games last season, Brown averaged 11points and 6.5 rebounds while shooting 65 percent from the field. As he gets stronger and learns how to take over a game, Brown will be among the nation'sbest players.

Damion James, Texas: James is far more than a big, strong rebounder and banger. He is not a shooter, but has improved in that area to be athreat. James averaged 13 points and 10 rebounds last year, and if he improves his free-throw shooting, James will be an even more efficient player.

Craig Brackins, Iowa State: A skilled big man who can step away from the basket, Brackins has the chance to be an outstanding collegeplayer. He averaged 11 points and five rebounds per game last season and shot 73 percent from the free-throw line. As he learns how to play, Brackins can bringIowa State back.

Stefon Jackson, UTEP: Jackson is an older player at 23 years old, but he is productive and fearless. He averaged 23 points per game andfive rebounds last season while shooting 73 percent from the line. Jackson is 6-5 and can rise up over most defenders to shoot, and he understands how to usehis body to get fouled.

Jack McClinton, Miami: No player impressed me more this summer than Jack McClinton. He is strong, has a great demeanor and competes histail off. Only 6-1, McClinton plays much bigger and has the strength to physically beat up his defenders. After transferring from Siena, he has averaged over17 points per game over the past two seasons, and has shot over 90 percent from the line. If McClinton played at North Carolina or Duke, he would be on everymagazine cover we could print up.

Chris Warren, Ole Miss: At just 5-11, Warren is a jet who can score and find people. He knocks down his free throws and he can really pass.As he gets more experience under his belt, Warren will become more efficient, and he needs to take better shots. Warren is a fine young player who has beenovershadowed by players at the TV schools.

Evan Turner, Ohio State: The 6-6 sophomore really came on at the end of last season. He is versatile swingman who can handle it and he hasreally good hands. As he learns the game, his error rate will improve and he will become more reliable with the ball. Turner will be an outstanding player forthe Buckeyes this season and should have a great season.

Demetri McCamey, Illinois: McCamey is strong and athletic, and reminds me of Deron Williams. He can make plays and create in the lane. Apower guard, McCamey had some great games last season but needs to improve his efficiency and error rate. This should be the year for him to step forward to beone of the best players in the Big Ten.

Lee Cummard, BYU: Cummard was the player of the year in the Mountain West, but very few people seemed to know it. He is skilled and muchtougher than he looks, and he knows how to play. A good shooter with a quick release, Cummard led BYU in scoring and was second in rebounding and assists.Unusually long and deceptively athletic, Cummard passes very well -- he finds open people and delivers the ball. If he played in the Pac-10, everybody wouldknow Lee Cummard.
James Johnson, Wake Forest: At 6-8 and 230 pounds, Johnson is a talented scorer and rebounder who has a great futureahead of him. While he needs to improve his shot selection, Johnson averaged almost 15 points and more than eight rebounds per game last season. His rangeextends to about 17 feet, but he needs to get stronger and improve his efficiency to be a truly great college player. Johnson was one of the best freshmen inthe nation last season, but not enough people recognized him as such.

Jack McClinton, Miami: No player impressed me more this summer than Jack McClinton. He is strong, has a great demeanor and competes his tail off. Only 6-1,McClinton plays much bigger and has the strength to physically beat up his defenders. After transferring from Siena, he has averaged over 17 points per gameover the past two seasons, and has shot over 90 percent from the line. If McClinton played at North Carolina or Duke, he would be on every magazine cover wecould print up.

I believe in the Hype!

Originally Posted by dukehead

laugh.gif

Why do fanboys love screaming "Don't sleep on us!" just to show they're reppin' their squad? We've known about UNLV for the last two years and they have one of the top 10 guards in the country (Wink).

Read further, Dukie. This year will be fun, but our recruiting class is getting better every year. Top 10 Guards in the Country?? I'll takethat compliment, however, the true experts that get paid to do it don't have him that high.

Originally Posted by BasirWaahid

laugh.gif

Why do fanboys love screaming "Don't sleep on us!" just to show they're reppin' their squad? We've known about UNLV for the last two years and they have one of the top 10 guards in the country (Wink).
Read further, Dukie. This year will be fun, but our recruiting class is getting better every year. Top 10 Guards in the Country?? I'll take that compliment, however, the true experts that get paid to do it don't have him that high.

Get the chip of your shoulder - anybody that follows college basketball is not sleeping on a Kruger coached team, especially after averagingalmost 30 wins a season the last two years. Quit acting like you're getting no respect - trust, you're getting the exact amount of respect youdeserve, don't go thinking you're on a level you ain't at just yet. Hell, you weren't even the best team in that conference of yours the lasttwo years and you want us all talking about you like a sleeper?
laugh.gif
seriously - we know you're out there, we didn't forget. Chill with all that "nobody knows" talk.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

1996: Kentucky

• Tony Delk, Antoine Walker, Walter McCarty, Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Nazr Mohammed, Jeff Sheppard, Mark Pope, Wayne Turner

Best college b-ball team I ever watched play.
And yet they didn't even win their own conference tournament that year....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

• Tony Delk, Antoine Walker, Walter McCarty, Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Nazr Mohammed, Jeff Sheppard, Mark Pope, Wayne Turner

Sorry, couldn't resist.

laugh.gif
what's up Tim, long time no see. How them Bulldogslooking?

whatup ryan.

state is a big question mark this year. jamont gordon is gone, hansbrough transferred (the other hansbrough, lol)... i think only arkansas returns less scoringthan we do in the sec this year. we have some promising freshman (dee bost and romero osby), but they are obviously unproven at the college level. we surecould've used scotty hopson.... the experts have us finishing 4th in the west. i hope it's not that bad... i can't remember state not evencontending for their division.

on the bright side, it CAN'T be any worse than football season this year (i guess the exact opposite is true for penn state, huh? must be pretty excitingthere).

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That the Dante Jones, Dampier squad? If so,
pimp.gif

Evan Turner, Ohio State: The 6-6 sophomore really came on at the end of last season. He is versatile swingman who can handle it and he has really good hands. As he learns the game, his error rate will improve and he will become more reliable with the ball. Turner will be an outstanding player for the Buckeyes this season and should have a great season.

Demetri McCamey, Illinois: McCamey is strong and athletic, and reminds me of Deron Williams. He can make plays and create in the lane. A power guard, McCamey had some great games last season but needs to improve his efficiency and error rate. This should be the year for him to step forward to be one of the best players in the Big Ten.

one of the more sicker high school backcourts ive ever seen
sick.gif

i swear i thought jack mcclinton was like 6 4..wow is he undersized

and yea mills is good as hell..but pargo gon give him a run for his money..im actually looking forward to staying up past midnight to watch WAC/pac 10basketball
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by BasirWaahid

laugh.gif

Read further, Dukie. This year will be fun, but our recruiting class is getting better every year. Top 10 Guards in the Country?? I'll take that compliment, however, the true experts that get paid to do it don't have him that high.
Get the chip of your shoulder - anybody that follows college basketball is not sleeping on a Kruger coached team, especially after averaging almost 30 wins a season the last two years. Quit acting like you're getting no respect - trust, you're getting the exact amount of respect you deserve, don't go thinking you're on a level you ain't at just yet. Hell, you weren't even the best team in that conference of yours the last two years and you want us all talking about you like a sleeper?
laugh.gif
seriously - we know you're out there, we didn't forget. Chill with all that "nobody knows" talk.

A Chip??? Riiggghtt. . . . I call a spade a spade. Vegas is getting plugged???? Where is all this occuring??? What channel or major publicationis this happening? So you're telling me the country knows about the teams out West outside of the Pac-10?? Yeah right. . . They weren't the bestteam the last 2 yrs in the MWC??? please do your homework or better yet, go to the channel where UNLV is getting tons of coverage nationwide. MWC gets nocoverage.

too bad UNLV missed out on Elijah Johnson, woulda been a stud out there too. Now he's gonna have to be a pseudo stud in a loaded Kansas. Imagine if theyget Xavier Henry too, and (i know he probably wont commit to KU if henry does) Michael Snaer. That would be absurd. But also beyond a pipedream.

While we're on the under-rated tip, while actually naming some people who (in my opinion) are somewhat over-rated: when he puts on somewhere between 10 and15 pounds, Malcolm Lee is going to be one of the best players in college basketball. Cuz you know, he's under rated, underappreciated, unknown, and stuff.Not like he was a McD's AA or a 5 star recruit or anything. But i'm just saying, out of anyone i got to see play this summer, I was the most impressedby him and the potential I see in him. His intensity on both D and O were remarkable, and he showed good vision and is improving on playing under control atall times. BTW, his pull up J is absurdly fast.

Back
Top Bottom