The College Basketball Post

Drew to Kentucky made sense on paper, but after winning that chip in 2021 there’s really no reason to jet from Baylor anytime soon
Baylor is his Valpo. I knew Bryce decently well but met Scott a few times over the years too. That program is his baby and bringing it back at all was seen as impossible at the time he took over. Loyalty and doing it on their own is pretty important in that family and I don’t think Kentucky is quite the draw for Indiana dudes.

Which is why the Woody comments are hilarious. He isn’t leaving his Alma mater to go to the enemy 🤣

Kentucky really is a tough job in general, maybe hardest out of all the blue bloods and on top of it you have to follow in behind Cal?

I understand the hesitation
Yea you need somebody with Cal/Ricky P swagger to get it poppin, can’t just be anybody…It’s the state of Kentucky :lol:

Can’t blame Drew that’s not his style, he got a good thing down in Baylor…Don’t even gotta leave the state or play the big money game to recruit down there

History repeats? Kentucky won't end up with a Billy Gillispie type coach, but all the Coach Cal under achieved talk is interesting.

Tubby Smith was the head coach at Kentucky for 10 years (1997-2007). During his tenure the Wildcats made it to the NCAA tournament each season. They won 76 percent of their games, five SEC regular-season titles and five SEC tournament titles and were undefeated in SEC play in 2002-03 and captured the national championship in 1998, Tubby's first season. Still, the natives grew restless, and in 2007, following a ninth straight season without a Final Four appearance, Smith resigned under pressure to take the head coaching job at Minnesota.

The coaching search that followed did not go as Kentucky officials and fans had expected. When their top target eventually turned them down, the Wildcats scrambled to make a hire. Kentucky finally chose a coach that already had endeared himself to Big Blue Nation, thanks to a high-profile victory in Lexington the previous month. On April 6, 2007, Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie was introduced as the new head coach of the Kentucky Wildcats.

Yeah the options were already limited at this time of the year but now the cupboard is really dry. They're gonna have to settle for someone who would have been a good candidate for USC or Arkansas :lol:

Yeah the options were already limited at this time of the year but now the cupboard is really dry.

Not completely dry….

sjubb-rick.gif

Who cares about UK when there’s portal news like this

At the end of the day, these guys have a limited amount of time to be able to showcase their games to get to the next level. If it’s not that, it’s about trying to maximize your earnings because this very well could be 4-5 years of you making the most money you’ll ever see in your lifetime. I know you’re trying to take a jab at him but I get it, no different than Trimble’s reasons for leaving

From what I’ve heard, NIL is basically all one year deals. So depending on performance you could want to re-negotiate elsewhere or school could just pull the money.

Not gonna be surprising to see guys jump around a lot. Most are going to think they’re worth more than they are.

He didn’t get the chance to showcase his game at UNC because Hubert was erratic with his rotations and relied too heavily on the ‘iron 5’

VT’s NIL pot for mens hoops is sparse at best. The majority of it went to the women’s team and the football program. 7 of their 9 returning players entered the portal after their season ended

Kids going to 3-4 schools is going to be the new norm. It’s happening now and for various reasons I mentioned above

Baylor is his Valpo. I knew Bryce decently well but met Scott a few times over the years too. That program is his baby and bringing it back at all was seen as impossible at the time he took over. Loyalty and doing it on their own is pretty important in that family and I don’t think Kentucky is quite the draw for Indiana dudes.

Which is why the Woody comments are hilarious. He isn’t leaving his Alma mater to go to the enemy 🤣

My feelings about UK are known well :lol: but you aren’t sending your wife and kids to check out Lexington if you don’t have interest and need them to sign off. It’s been reported for awhile how much his wife and he love the Waco area. It’s why Louisville interest never went anywhere. Scott built the Baylor program up from nothing, thats tough to walk away from just itself but I’m not sending the fam out if all that’s not needed is the sign off Kentucky’s delusional fanbase thinks they have a shot at Hurley so what does that tell you? :lol:

Last edited:

Think that'd be a great move for him tbh, he's in basketball purgatory in Chicago.

Never bad enough to draft blue chippers in the lottery and never good enough to actually make noise in the postseason

From what I’ve heard, NIL is basically all one year deals. So depending on performance you could want to re-negotiate elsewhere or school could just pull the money.

Not gonna be surprising to see guys jump around a lot. Most are going to think they’re worth more than they are.
Most folks don’t realize that scholarships themselves are year to year so they definitely don’t know how the NIL works :lol:

If you not a top player you gotta secure your bag season or put yourself in the best position to get paid so they dip

My feelings about UK are known well :lol: but you aren’t sending your wife and kids to check out Lexington if you don’t have interest and need them to sign off. It’s been reported for awhile how much his wife and he love the Waco area. It’s why Louisville interest never went anywhere. Scott built the Baylor program up from nothing, thats tough to walk away from just itself but I’m not sending the fam out if all that’s not needed is the sign off Kentucky’s delusional fanbase thinks they have a shot at Hurley so what does that tell you? :lol:

I think the commitment was low to take a plane ride for a few hours and schmooze on a jet. If you’re not gonna leave somewhere hearing what a blue blood program thinks of you is a huge ego boost and gets the boosters and AD in line to pay you more. He’s not a dummy. He knows where he’s at and how to juice it to make sense and stay.

Back
Top Bottom