The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by J RAIN 23

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Even though Maynor is back, I think they were better last year.

i don't think so. i think vcu's experience from last yr will help a lot coming into the tourney this yr and make them a better team because of that. i'm liking the rams chances at being the cinderella. maynor is clutch and he'll lead vcu to the sweet 16 (they almost beat pitt last yr). his supporting cast is solid too.

while i'll agree that the experience VCU gained last year was a plus, it still doesn't help that they lost valuable outside shooting in Walker andPellot-Rosa, both who shot over 40% from 3 and were 1st & 3rd respectively in scoring on that team last year... shuler has stepped up, but famenihasn't been the same player he was last year due to injuries... he is needed since he is their low post threat... a low post presence is key especially onnights where the outside shots don't fall...

also they have 3 losses in conference right now compared to 2 in conference last year... the conference as a whole was better last year... they got 2 bidsto the tournament (VCU, ODU) last year... this year unless a team other than VCU wins the CAA tournament, it looks to be only be a 1-bid conference
VCU wasbetter last year, but they are still a dangerous team since Maynor seems to step up in big games
can they pull an upset in the 1st round this year depending on their draw?... yes
are they sweet 16 good this year? most likely no

I'm pretty sure Lundari slipped. They wouldn't put Vandy and Gtown as a potential 2nd round matchup since they played each other last year in the tourney....
Could be a situation where they would have to move too many other teams to avoid an in-conference matchup (in the big east, presumably) and so they'd have to break this rule first. He's pretty diligent about these rules, I couldn't see him slipping on such an obvious one there, it's probably something he'll talk about if he hasn't already.
when possible previous games from last year's tournament are to be avoided in the 1st & 2nd round,but I'm sure there's a reason... probably to avoid the possible conference matchup that Craftsy mentioned
also since teams can be moved a bracket line from their true seed lunardi probably felt they were not worthy of being moved up one bracket line to avoid thematchup from last year...
there's probably other possible reasons as well...

that's why i try not to read the projections too much... still games to be played and too many little factors involved in the seeding process
it could actually work out nicely for vandy... birmingham is a lot closer to nashville than it is for georgetown.. might put georgetown at a slight neutralcourt disadvantage especially if a lot of their fans showed up...
especially since georgetown is hosting the 1st & 2nd rounds at verizon center and can't play there regardless...

VCU was better last year, but they are still a dangerous team since Maynor seems to step up in big games
can they pull an upset in the 1st round this year depending on their draw?... yes
are they sweet 16 good this year? most likely no

Agreed, completely... the other thing working against them this year is, whoever draws them first round is going to know this is the team that beat Duke lastseason --- so there won't be anybody taking them lightly or under preparing for them (not that anybody did last year, but there's so much more tape onthese guys now for everybody to scout).

VCU with a good game... George Mason taking it to Chris' Bobcats early on.. Can't wait for Butler/Drake this afternoon... I think Butler runs them,personally.. but should be a good game.

Stanley Robinson
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

big win for vcu @ akron w/o fameni. i think vcu will get an at-large bid if for some reason they don't win the caa tourney.

i didn't even watch the game though, i can't wake up @ 11 a.m. on a saturday.
laugh.gif

That one hurts, no one could d-up shooty in the second half. 'Nova just locked up the BE reg season title for Gtown. On to the Tourney...

Back
Top Bottom