The Combat Jack Show Thread

Ed commented on New York banging on his DC. I think a lot of people don't know when New York started getting into it. It's going on three decades now and people still talk about bloods and crips in New York like it's new.

The gang **** isn't that deep. It would be crews in these places regardless, but it's just easier to do the blue and red ****. It's more of a name brand. Just like how Boston used to do the sports teams **** for their colors.

Ed is bitter, because he became dated quick. He started out young and didn't adapt to the new style and the changes. He was "old school" before he reached 21. He probably thinks that's why he fell off. A lot of the rappers from the 80's never really survived to the 90's. Some of them need to just accept that rap changed. Just like I tell people that Run DMC was really done by 25 and people considered them old. Down With The King was like some Rocky **** at the time. It would be like Nelly having a hit song in 2023. Rap changed so much from late 80's to 90's. That's why you'll see Run DMC, Kane and Ed who tried to change their flows and style to try and adapt. Rakim was partying with white girls.

I think he needs to talk about the corporatization and not blame a specific group.

That's true hip hop would change so quick back then. Pac made that song Old School paying homage to NY rappers from 4-6 years before him. We would never look at 2018 as old school. Hip hop was still young so 4 years ago in 1994 was seen as played out.

Some of them _'s tried to switch they style and it was a mess :lol: :smh:

Run DMC and LL tryna be Wu Tang

Kriss Kross tryna be Snoop

Crazy thing about LL is he younger than some Wu members :lol:

I think some of the dudes just got to comfortable. They still had a lane but the bitterness came QUICK.

EPMD, brand Nubian, the Native tongue movement with De La, Tribe, etc still were making fire albums and hits, during the gangsta rap era.

Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Camp Lo, Gangstarr, there was still room for the fly, cool NYC style rap. Cruising music.

Some dudes let the influx of gangster rap cloud their minds so much that they canceled themselves out, when they really didn’t have too.

You still had the likes of Lord Finesse and whatnot, NYC had a great balance and a lot of them dudes didn’t realize it.

This is 1995/1996 Ed and Masta Ace STILL had dope flows. But instead of making music and not worrying about what was coming, they sold themselves short.

Dudes like Special Ed let gangster rap scare them from sticking to the script, they felt threatened by it. Should’ve just kept doing his thing. We all know every gangster isn’t a gangster, and we knew every geek wasn’t a geek, dudes be letting perceptions and stereotypes control their lives

Ed was still floating on s***. Dude’s flow was elite

Last edited:
Had Slick Rick not caught that charge and had to do a bid, he easily was gone transition from the 80s to the 90s.

Slick dropped this in 99 and it was a good album. Prison just killed all his momentum

E91F9EB5-D4A8-4F50-B3DF-BB4B4D7C92FA.jpeg

Same with Rakim and Big Daddy Kane. Them dudes just got lazy and complacent.

LL Cool J didn’t get complacent at all. He knew the ladies loved him so, he made music for them but he still mixed in street records too.

Ed commented on New York banging on his DC. I think a lot of people don't know when New York started getting into it. It's going on three decades now and people still talk about bloods and crips in New York like it's new.

The gang **** isn't that deep. It would be crews in these places regardless, but it's just easier to do the blue and red ****. It's more of a name brand. Just like how Boston used to do the sports teams **** for their colors.

Ed is bitter, because he became dated quick. He started out young and didn't adapt to the new style and the changes. He was "old school" before he reached 21. He probably thinks that's why he fell off. A lot of the rappers from the 80's never really survived to the 90's. Some of them need to just accept that rap changed. Just like I tell people that Run DMC was really done by 25 and people considered them old. Down With The King was like some Rocky **** at the time. It would be like Nelly having a hit song in 2023. Rap changed so much from late 80's to 90's. That's why you'll see Run DMC, Kane and Ed who tried to change their flows and style to try and adapt. Rakim was partying with white girls.

I think he needs to talk about the corporatization and not blame a specific group.
Yeah, gang banging hasn't been anything new in NY . In fact, it would be two different project houses beefing with each other for years, and they slap colors on it, and it comes off as if it's some gang beef. In reality, it's just static between them.

Dudes been cripping and/or being bloods and throwing up gang signs in NYC since the early and mid 90s? Since y’all said 30+ years.

Only “gang” I’m aware of that originated in NYC was Latin kings.

I thought NYC was crews/repping boroughs.

Every city has beefs and shootouts and crew/neighborhood static.

We’re specifically talking about Bloods, Crips, GDs, Vice Lords, etc. dudes in NYC being bloods and crips now is laughable.

Same like I tell these young cats who I see in Florida. It’s a joke to be repping that.

Because in Cali, those specific colors will get you touched or barred from neighborshoods. Dudes in Florida where whatever colors we want.

Dudes in Florida can’t even fix their mouth and say “what hood or set you claim” to a dude wearing rival colors. He’ll get laughed at. That’s why I say it’s silly for that stuff to leave California.

So y’all telling me, certain NYC hoods you can’t wear certain colors or have a your rag in a certain pocket, or where certain team apparel? :lol:

It’s SAFE as hell to wear blue and red anywhere not California, in the United States. As well as certain sports logos. It’s a farce

Last edited:
Dudes been cripping and/or being bloods and throwing up gang signs in NYC since the early and mid 90s? Since y’all said 30+ years.

Only “gang” I’m aware of that originated in NYC was Latin kings.

I thought NYC was crews/repping boroughs.

Every city has beefs and shootouts and crew/neighborhood static.

We’re specifically talking about Bloods, Crips, GDs, Vice Lords, etc. dudes in NYC being bloods and crips now is laughable.

Same like I tell these young cats who I see in Florida. It’s a joke to be repping that.

Because in Cali, those specific colors will get you touched or barred from neighborshoods. Dudes in Florida where whatever colors we want.

Dudes in Florida can’t even fix their mouth and say “what hood or set you claim” to a dude wearing rival colors. He’ll get laughed at. That’s why I say it’s silly for that stuff to leave California.

So y’all telling me, certain NYC hoods you can’t wear certain colors or have a your rag in a certain pocket, or where certain team apparel? :lol:

It’s SAFE as hell to wear blue and red anywhere not California, in the United States. As well as certain sports logos. It’s a farce

Go watch Warriors. That’s New York in the 70’s. Zulu Nation formed from gangs. Same with Beat Street. Now, what they had in Beat Street would be considered gangs. Gangs have been in New York forever. When Big L was screaming NFL, Bootcamp repping Deceptions or Dame was doing Best Out, those were gangs. Lou Simms had the Lynch Mob, he liked the name of Cube’s group. Dudes got locked up and it became bigger than projects and blocks, because they couldn’t compete in size with the Latinos, so it became bloods and crips in addition to their neighborhood.

New York has the same politics that the West has. That’s why New York has gangs from Connecticut to Miami. Young Thug is in SMM. That’s New York.

That's true hip hop would change so quick back then. Pac made that song Old School paying homage to NY rappers from 4-6 years before him. We would never look at 2018 as old school. Hip hop was still young so 4 years ago in 1994 was seen as played out.

Some of them _'s tried to switch they style and it was a mess :lol: :smh:

Run DMC and LL tryna be Wu Tang

Kriss Kross tryna be Snoop

Crazy thing about LL is he younger than some Wu members :lol:

LL was always good at getting back off the canvas. He had duds, but still had hits on those projects because of the radio.

Go watch Warriors. That’s New York in the 70’s. Zulu Nation formed from gangs. Same with Beat Street. Now, what they had in Beat Street would be considered gangs. Gangs have been in New York forever. When Big L was screaming NFL, Bootcamp repping Deceptions or Dame was doing Best Out, those were gangs. Lou Simms had the Lynch Mob, he liked the name of Cube’s group. Dudes got locked up and it became bigger than projects and blocks, because they couldn’t compete in size with the Latinos, so it became bloods and crips in addition to their neighborhood.

New York has the same politics that the West has. That’s why New York has gangs from Connecticut to Miami. Young Thug is in SMM. That’s New York.

I’ve watched the Warriors and Sonny Carson joints too.

We’re specifically talking about BLOODS and Crips. Everyone knows NYC has gangs/crews.

Talking about California style banging. I’m well aware of the NYC gangs/crews

I’ve watched the Warriors and Sonny Carson joints too.

We’re specifically talking about BLOODS and Crips. Everyone knows NYC has gangs/crews.

Talking about California style banging. I’m well aware of the NYC gangs/crews
Again, that's not true. That ideology didn't originate from California. If you walk in specific neighborhoods in different states and even countries wearing something that can be mistaken, for the "other side" you can get banged on. Go uptown with a green bandana or some crates and you'll probably arouse some suspicion.

There's been crips and bloods in NYC since the probably the 80s. They were fully formed and all over going to school in the 90s.

didn’t know they had ad-less nt

I took a major break from nt and off ads and the fact that most people in the sneaker forums are all hardcore collectors and borderline cultish it’s exhausting making simple points, I smell another one coming really soon and likely for good

My sub to Ad-free NT expired in November.

I took am trying to cut back on my consumerism so I find myself spending less time on here.

I haven't had the ad free experience in a couple of years and man it's exhausting to go back.

I doubt I ever leave NT for good tho.

Had Slick Rick not caught that charge and had to do a bid, he easily was gone transition from the 80s to the 90s.

Slick dropped this in 99 and it was a good album. Prison just killed all his momentum

E91F9EB5-D4A8-4F50-B3DF-BB4B4D7C92FA.jpeg

Same with Rakim and Big Daddy Kane. Them dudes just got lazy and complacent.

LL Cool J didn’t get complacent at all. He knew the ladies loved him so, he made music for them but he still mixed in street records too.

Slick Rick woulda fit in perfectly on those Puff/Hitmen beats

One of the saddest stories in rap. He touched like 20% of what he could have been. Even after the 97 album he could have had a run between then and 03 when he got deported again

Last edited:
Ed gon have them Cali _'s on him again and issue another apology. How he don't know Eazy funded Ruthless with dope money? Ren was a crip too.

Didn’t watch to see what he said but Dre Eazy and Cube seemed like they were kinda the faces of NWA (admittedly I didn’t live it in real time)

What Ed is saying can likely be applied to two out of three of those names…

D Dot said something similar in his Math Hoffa interview regarding BIG and Long Kiss Goodnight and Hov/being the biggest crack dealer in NYC lol

Which is funny cause I saw a Clark Kent Tik Tok or short where he was like Hov don’t say nothing that didn’t really happen lol

Didn’t watch to see what he said but Dre Eazy and Cube seemed like they were kinda the faces of NWA (admittedly I didn’t live it in real time)

What Ed is saying can likely be applied to two out of three of those names…

D Dot said something similar in his Math Hoffa interview regarding BIG and Long Kiss Goodnight and Hov/being the biggest crack dealer in NYC lol

Which is funny cause I saw a Clark Kent Tik Tok or short where he was like Hov don’t say nothing that didn’t really happen lol
Eazy was the face and most famous one cuz he came outfirst with Boyz In Tha Hood. Cube probably next but Cube left like a couple months after the first album so maybe we can say Dre. Either way all of 'em was from south central and Compton.

Ed needs to chill. Especially with doing the platform tour for clicks.

Math and them aren't intelligent enough to make it a deeper conversation. Nore certainly wasn't. Wow, that's crazy.

I would push it beyond blaming NWA. That was over 30 years ago, deeper conversations need to come from it. You can't change the past.

And he keep bringing up NWA. Mobb Deep was rapping about all types killing and robbing. Rae and Ghost was selling boat loads of coke on they albums. Onyx was real over the top. :lol:

It's only a handful rappers from everywhere that was doing exactly what they was rapping about.

Back
Top Bottom