The Combat Jack Show Thread

when I think of pop I think of some upbeat kid voice sh*t with the word love sprinkled in it

but really I have never liked the word pop

the word popular being a genre doesn’t even make sense

thats what pop means tough.........

If you mean pop as in "popular" sure but as a genre it's different

I heard a couple of songs years ago and it was clear pop music and the last song I heard was her new trap beat sounding song that sound like Soulja's Boys old joint.

I went on wikipedia and they got music labeled as pop-trap-r&b. :lol:

Screenshot-2019-03-27-17-43-38.png

She just seems like a pop artist that jumped on whats "cool" and "trendy" so they got her mixing in some other stuff.

I can agree with that last line but her last two albums sound more R&B than they do what I would consider pop. Which would be something closer to like what P!nk makes. Where it sounds closer to rock than hip hop.

when I think of pop I think of some upbeat kid voice sh*t with the word love sprinkled in it

but really I have never liked the word pop

the word popular being a genre doesn’t even make sense

That's why I don't like folks calling rap "pop" just because it's the most popular genre. Pop is a genre itself, we gotta let rap reign supreme under it's own name and not reclassified under their terminology

If you mean pop as in "popular" sure but as a genre it's different

I can agree with that last line but her last two albums sound more R&B than they do what I would consider pop. Which would be something closer to like what P!nk makes. Where it sounds closer to rock than hip hop.

That's why I don't like folks calling rap "pop" just because it's the most popular genre. Pop is a genre itself, we gotta let rap reign supreme under it's own name and not reclassified under their terminology

When I heard her sing at Aretha's funeral I looked at her like a Christina Aguilera type. She was a pop artist with a great voice that had some soul influence but nobody was saying Christina is r&b like a Mary or Toni Braxton.

When I heard her sing at Aretha's funeral I looked at her like a Christina Aguilera type. She was a pop artist with a great voice that had some soul influence but nobody was saying Christina is r&b like a Mary or Toni Braxton.

My focus is less on what people are saying and more on how does the music sound. The music doesn't sound like pop, the music sounds like R&B

Pop is definitely a genre. What genre is Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande? They make pop music and have that pop sound.

J Lo was a Tommy Mottola created pop artist

Those songs weren't pop, but she was, so those songs crossed over to top 40 radio

Ashanti never became a pop artist releasing those same types of songs.

I also thought it was interesting how Joe didn't bring up Puff. He gave her credibility also.

Mook STRUGGLES to articulate himself. Like...it's really bad :lol:

He's one of those people who thinks he is smarter than he is and debates just to debate, no matter how he sounds. He probably doesn't even know what his point is half the time. He was just talking in circles. It just ends up frustrating you and you give up, because he's not going to concede. He's not even trying to listen to your side or point.

Anything Ja Rule and JLo is pop. Both in sound and general meaning

Ja Rule was a rapper, who happen to make some crossover songs.

J Lo was a pop singer, but those songs in essence aren't pop. Replace J Lo with anyone else and nobody would think those are pop songs. Ja Rule and Lil Mo, not pop. Ja Rule and Ashanti, not pop.

I never looked at J Lo any differently than I did Brittany Spears. The music industry can take marginally talented women and make them stars with enough money and push.

Big Sean and the depression roll out :lol: It's funny how people who you see having legit issues like Wale don't do that.

and Joe is funny. The whole Fab talk. Man, you know damn why Fab isn't releasing any music. Because he's trying to make everyone forget what happen with him and his girl. I can't even listen to that dude anymore.

and that Cardi B and double standard talk. :lol: Men shouldn't complain about double standards. I hope that doesn't become a thing. I'm not going to be outraged about Cardi B any more than I would be about a drug dealer saying he was selling baking powder. How dare he cheat someone participating in an illegal activity. :lol: You know that's a possibility. Respect the jux.

Pop is definitely a genre. What genre is Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande? They make pop music and have that pop sound.

I'd argue Ariana's music has more of a R&B sound

J Lo was a pop singer, but those songs in essence aren't pop. Replace J Lo with anyone else and nobody would think those are pop songs. Ja Rule and Lil Mo, not pop. Ja Rule and Ashanti, not pop.

I agree but how is somebody a pop singer but doesn't sing pop?

J Lo was a Tommy Mottola created pop artist

Those songs weren't pop, but she was, so those songs crossed over to top 40 radio

Ashanti never became a pop artist releasing those same types of songs.

That's a good point. JLo's style of singing is pop just like a Britney Spears. No real vocal talent, just studio tricks. That's why it was funny to people seeing her do that Mo Town tribute. She's never been a soul singer or a good singer period.

I agree but how is somebody a pop singer but doesn't sing pop?

I think the person can be pop and not sing pop.

It also was part of the climate of what was popular in music. It made sense because of where she was from and since she was supposed to be this dancer.

A lot of Michael Jackson's music wasn't pop, but you can't deny he was a pop artist.

I saw the clip of Desus & Mero mentioning their gift to Envy, idk if I could survive watching their show. Them dudes corny

How? it's just dudes spitting jokes at clips. And I don't know why Joe thinks he's the gatekeeper of mental health.

They just aren't funny to me, there's a few clips that I've seen over the years but they just don't hit for me. Not to mention dude's laugh is nauseating

Back
Top Bottom