****The Everything LaVar Ball Thread****

I think that Lavar just overplayed his hand. Go back just a couple of months to July, arguably the peak of BBB madness, when Zo was dropping triple doubles in the summer league you'd think that Lavar was a mastermind who'd truly disrupted the NBA powers that be. Now just a few months later, he's botched both of his younger sons careers. He didn't know when to stop and he expected everyone to bend to his will. He tried to force the coach at Chino Hills to add players to the roster and when the coach refused, Lavar pulled his son from the school. As opposed to serving his suspension at UCLA (during a season when he wasn't poised to see alot of playing time anyway), he pulls Liangelo from school. No need to even mention Zo's struggles in the NBA.

Are the ZO2's moving units like that? What about BBB apparel? Zo should have signed a sneaker deal with Nike or Adidas during Summer League; he could've gotten much bigger deals than any other rookie, but Lavar keep pushing.

I don't think Lavar really had a detailed plan, he was just going to play the crazy, loud dad card until the wheels fell off; and they did. Now Liangelo and LaMelo are gonna end up playing in an obscure league in Europe (hopefully) and that'll probably be the last we hear of them. Sad stuff.

LaVar in 2 months.... "I'm bringing my son's home from Turkey, because I don't like the coach"

For real though, this really is their last straw. I know they're both ineligible to play college ball, l but if things don't work out can Lamelo go back to at least finish high school? I feel like this kid has been yanked around alot and he's only 16.

I think that Lavar just overplayed his hand. Go back just a couple of months to July, arguably the peak of BBB madness, when Zo was dropping triple doubles in the summer league you'd think that Lavar was a mastermind who'd truly disrupted the NBA powers that be. Now just a few months later, he's botched both of his younger sons careers. He didn't know when to stop and he expected everyone to bend to his will. He tried to force the coach at Chino Hills to add players to the roster and when the coach refused, Lavar pulled his son from the school. As opposed to serving his suspension at UCLA (during a season when he wasn't poised to see alot of playing time anyway), he pulls Liangelo from school. No need to even mention Zo's struggles in the NBA.

Are the ZO2's moving units like that? What about BBB apparel? Zo should have signed a sneaker deal with Nike or Adidas during Summer League; he could've gotten much bigger deals than any other rookie, but Lavar keep pushing.

I don't think Lavar really had a detailed plan, he was just going to play the crazy, loud dad card until the wheels fell off; and they did. Now Liangelo and LaMelo are gonna end up playing in an obscure league in Europe (hopefully) and that'll probably be the last we hear of them. Sad stuff.

Quick question....lets rewind back to the time around summer league you mentioned.

Based on the moves they were making at the time...do you really believe Melo was going to step foot on UCLA's campus?

Quick question....lets rewind back to the time around summer league you mentioned.

Based on the moves they were making at the time...do you really believe Melo was going to step foot on UCLA's campus?

I genuinely did. Playing college basketball definitely helped Zo progress as a player and raised his profile enough to get drafted #2 overall. I thought that Liangelo would be a one-and-done prospect like Zo. He was a top 10 player in the 2019 class accord to ESPN.

I genuinely did. Playing college basketball definitely helped Zo progress as a player and raised his profile enough to get drafted #2 overall. I thought that Liangelo would be a one-and-done prospect like Zo. He was a top 10 player in the 2019 class accord to ESPN.

We’ve had the college development debate ad naseum in the sports forum so I don’t want to dig too deep into that...but let’s agree to disagree on the amount of development taking place in 6 months. There’s a reason the majority of these one and done guards come to the NBA displaying the same weaknesses they had as high school seniors.

But never mind the basketball side of things, based on Zo’s comments on “slaving for free” at UCLA and Lavar saying that they didn’t care if Melo having a shoe could jeopardize his eligibility...you don’t think the writing was on the wall back then?

We’ve had the college development debate ad naseum in the sports forum so I don’t want to dig too deep into that...but let’s agree to disagree on the amount of development taking place in 6 months. There’s a reason the majority of these one and done guards come to the NBA displaying the same weaknesses they had as high school seniors.

But never mind the basketball side of things, based on Zo’s comments on “slaving for free” at UCLA and Lavar saying that they didn’t care if Melo having a shoe could jeopardize his eligibility...you don’t think the writing was on the wall back then?

I agree on the development piece for many one and done guys, heck Kyrie played in a total of12 games at Duke and still went #1 overall. College does provide a level of exposure that Euroball doesn't. I doubt Lonzo would've gone as high as he did if he would've played overseas for a year. I remember those song lyrics but I recognize that playing college might not have been Zo's (or any of the Ball brothers) preferred option but it is the preferred route for Americans basketball players to make it to the NBA. I thought they'd grin and bear it for a year.

I disagree with an overwhelming majority of the posts in this thread.

LaVar isnt ruining either of his son's careers. LaVar isnt a bad parent.

If you guys would just start viewing him for what he is, an entertainment figure, the hateful thoughts/posts would just stop. He is what he is. A public, entertainment figure. Nothing more, nothing less.

I disagree with an overwhelming majority of the posts in this thread.

LaVar isnt ruining either of his son's careers. LaVar isnt a bad parent.

If you guys would just start viewing him for what he is, an entertainment figure, the hateful thoughts/posts would just stop. He is what he is. A public, entertainment figure. Nothing more, nothing less.
Ok but don't entertain at your own children's expense.

Take your chances with your own livelihood and stop gambling with your seeds - that **** is wild corny and reckless.

I think that Lavar just overplayed his hand. Go back just a couple of months to July, arguably the peak of BBB madness, when Zo was dropping triple doubles in the summer league you'd think that Lavar was a mastermind who'd truly disrupted the NBA powers that be. Now just a few months later, he's botched both of his younger sons careers.
Foreign players get drafted in the lottery every year man :lol: He hasn't botched anything for Melo.

As for Gelo, college is a waste of time. He can make money off of his last name right now.

All this gonna make a fascinating 30 for 30 if it all blows up in his face. I really hope Lavar knows what he's doing...but I have serious doubts.

Ok but don't entertain at your own children's expense.

Take your chances with your own livelihood and stop gambling with your seeds - that **** is wild corny and reckless.

How is he taking chances though? Maybe in his eyes, the kids going to college for 1 year was just as big if not a bigger chance? Gelo wasnt making the NBA anyway. Melo might and I dont believe anything he has done in the past 6 months has changed that.

How is he taking chances though? Maybe in his eyes, the kids going to college for 1 year was just as big if not a bigger chance? Gelo wasnt making the NBA anyway. Melo might and I dont believe anything he has done in the past 6 months has changed that.

Anytime you have American athletes bypassing college to play professionally overseas, it's a risk. Look at all the concerns that surrounded guys like Mudiay and Jennings when they made their decisions. Yes, it worked out for the both of them, but this is going to be a 16 year old making the leap. This is unprecedented. Lavar is taking a huge gamble here...not some much w/ LiAngelo, but with LaMelo.

I’m interested to see where they end up playing. If it’s a top euro league these kids gonna get killed. So it’ll prob be a trash league so they can get off

What Lavar is attempting to do is change the model of the up and coming American pro athlete which has been his intention all along. Observe how euro teams scout basketball and soccer players and integrate them into their professional divisions

What Lavar is attempting to do is change the model of the up and coming American pro athlete which has been his intention all along. Observe how euro teams scout basketball and soccer players and integrate them into their professional divisions
Every move he's made with Gelo and Melo as of late has been a reaction to an action, not at all intentional or premeditated.

Stop acting like this dude is some visionary who been thinking 5 steps ahead. Having to scramble under pressure and try to find overseas opportunities for his 2 youngest was NOT part of his master plan. Season done started everywhere, that Ball circus act being polarizing, Melo being a frail 16 yr old and Gelo being trash juice with sticky fingers, makes their chances of finding even a decent suitor, that much harder. Yea, Lavar planned that from the jump :lol:

And lost in all this is the mom. She gotta be going thru it right now and I feel bad as hell for her.

A top euro league wouldn’t take either of them. They’re going to China.
If they end up in China. :lol:

Definitely won't be playing in Spain or Italy. I'm wondering if Lavar is going to stay stateside? He's definitely better off here if he wants to stay in the media spotlight, but can't imagine sending a 16 year old Melo over there without him being there. But then you have the wife's health issues. I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

Every move he's made with Gelo and Melo as of late has been a reaction to an action, not at all intentional or premeditated.

Stop acting like this dude is some visionary who been thinking 5 steps ahead. Having to scramble under pressure and try to find overseas opportunities for his 2 youngest was NOT part of his master plan. Season done started everywhere, that Ball circus act being polarizing, Melo being a frail 16 yr old and Gelo being trash juice with sticky fingers, makes their chances of finding even a decent suitor, that much harder. Yea, Lavar planned that from the jump :lol:

And lost in all this is the mom. She gotta be going thru it right now and I feel bad as hell for her.

this is what I was saying a few days ago, this isn't some carefully crafted masterplan, it's a backup plan scramble

The man is a textbook snake oil salesman not some visionary

If they end up in China. :lol:

Definitely won't be playing in Spain or Italy. I'm wondering if Lavar is going to stay stateside? He's definitely better off here if he wants to stay in the media spotlight, but can't imagine sending a 16 year old Melo over there without him being there. But then you have the wife's health issues. I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

I'm interested to see how they're going to pull it off logistically as well. CBA season also ends in March so I wondering if they're planning for next season or if a team reaching for the attention would take em now in the middle of their season.

They damn sure not playing in any top Euro league...and from a business perspective...it makes more sense to try to push their brand in China as opposed to playing in Australia or some ****.

Back
Top Bottom