The fact that the Nike Air Up was never given a proper retro is an embarrassment.

ghenges

Supporter
In 2014, nearly a decade ago, Nike gave us a joke of a retro and called it the Air Up 2014. While it looked like the original, the outer materials and fit were completely off.

Let's talk about why this shoe was so significant:

This was the first shoe that was released with a "1" on the back to the general public. In 1994 MJ had retired and Nike was finally branching off to make signatures for other athletes. They've had Nike models that other players wore (like David Robinson and the Air Command Force) but this shoe, along with the Air Force Max CB the year before, were two of the first pairs they made available to the general public with another players number. Players wore PE versions with their numbers on them, like Barkley and the Air Force Max 180 with the "34" on the side, but those were never available to the public. The Air Up was the first of it's kind to feature Penny's number on the Orlando colors and Pippen on the Chicago colors.

I can't think of many shoes that haven't been retroed. We've seen multiple versions of the Air Penny 1, 2, 3 etc. over the years. Same with the Pippen models. But here we are approaching 30 years since the original Air Up came out and we got nothing.

It's time to give us the Air Up.

In 2014, nearly a decade ago, Nike gave us a joke of a retro and called it the Air Up 2014. While it looked like the original, the outer materials and fit were completely off.

Let's talk about why this shoe was so significant:

This was the first shoe that was released with a "1" on the back to the general public. In 1994 MJ had retired and Nike was finally branching off to make signatures for other athletes. They've had Nike models that other players wore (like David Robinson and the Air Command Force) but this shoe, along with the Air Force Max CB the year before, were two of the first pairs they made available to the general public with another players number. Players wore PE versions with their numbers on them, like Barkley and the Air Force Max 180 with the "34" on the side, but those were never available to the public. The Air Up was the first of it's kind to feature Penny's number on the Orlando colors and Pippen on the Chicago colors.

I can't think of many shoes that haven't been retroed. We've seen multiple versions of the Air Penny 1, 2, 3 etc. over the years. Same with the Pippen models. But here we are approaching 30 years since the original Air Up came out and we got nothing.

It's time to give us the Air Up.
I couldn’t agree more. What they did with that 2014 version was truly a travesty. The beauty of the OG shoe was those thick cuts and layers of leather and unbuckle materials. To strip all that out in favor of that weird shiny one piece molded pleather construction just made no sense.

Need both PEs you mentioned. I’d probably be more excited for the penny PE pair than pretty much any other shoe.

I know it won’t happen at this point. The terrible execution of that last retro probably killed any chance of a proper retro.

7494FFE1-A2FE-4F55-81C8-09E2EC98018B.jpeg

One of the best sneakers in my HS days. School colors, sold out before the state tournament. Wound up playing in the Diamond Furys and Air Veers.

I know it won’t happen at this point. The terrible execution of that last retro probably killed any chance of a proper retro.

I am still holding out hope. A few years ago they finally gave us the Air Force Max CB in it's true form. It didn't have the 34 on the heel tab, but everything else was exact. Hoping, praying they give us these Air Ups.

One of the best sneakers in my HS days. School colors, sold out before the state tournament. Wound up playing in the Diamond Furys and Air Veers.

More than 15 years ago I bought a pair of these on Ebay. They are still in my closet but unwearable unfortunately. This is my only true grail left.

I was in 8th grade when they dropped. I live in Orlando. This was one shoe where every single kid had a pair either the black/blue or the white/black with blue swoosh. I didn't get them but I wanted them so bad. Every kid wanted to be Penny on the court.

I am still holding out hope. A few years ago they finally gave us the Air Force Max CB in it's true form. It didn't have the 34 on the heel tab, but everything else was exact. Hoping, praying they give us these Air Ups.
I hope you’re right. I just don’t see too much demand for this shoe in general. For whatever reason, it’s always been really under appreciated.

Imagine this beauty with the patented new-age Nike banana toes :lol: :sick:

I agree though on this one.

For ME the question of all retro questions is why the Maestro 1 has been disregarded. The most well known (and loved) non-sig shoe of its era. It’s truly baffling

Imagine this beauty with the patented new-age Nike banana toes :lol: :sick:

I agree though on this one.

For ME the question of all retro questions is why the Maestro 1 has been disregarded. The most well known (and loved) non-sig shoe of its era. It’s truly baffling
Bought these about 6-7 years ago after remembering Jason Kidd at Cal. (Also had a distant relative that played with him. ) Due for a minor re-glue, but it’s a damn shame the 1s have never re-released as opposed to the 5k iterations of the 2s. Leather is still unmatched.

CC59C022-546E-416B-B024-07566F24B63D.jpeg

5D692776-AC6E-4BDC-8D62-72CC48A2520F.jpeg

I hope you’re right. I just don’t see too much demand for this shoe in general. For whatever reason, it’s always been really under appreciated.

When they dropped in 2014 nobody bought them. Then they went on sale and some colors ended up at the outlets. Oddly enough there were some pairs that sold on StockX for around $200-$250.

I do agree that none of the early or mid 90s shoes are getting a lot of love right now. The Air Flight Lite Olympics (Scottie Pippen's 92 Oly shoe) was selling for like $70 on Nike. The other colors went on sale too. Nike isn't giving up though because we're getting the Alpha Force soon so I think eventually everything else will make it's way around. Maybe 2024 for the 30yr anniversary? We'll see.

BUT if they do bring them back, they have to do them right. Put the 1 on the back and give us the original materials and fit. I think that will work.

Being from Orlando I was on the Penny hype train from the jump. This is why this shoe was so popular in my area. The rest of the world didn't catch on to the Penny hype until the Air Penny 1 and really caught the hype with the Air Penny 2 when all of the Lil Penny commercials got really popular. So I get why people don't remember this shoe too much but I think Nike can still do it justice.

I miss how 90 s shoes were used for fashion and to get fresh now you can’t get jiggy with modern basketball shoes. those low top Durante were the only recent shoes I remember you could dress with

Agreed - you just can't wear a pair of Zions or Hardens or Lukas with an outfit, lol. They are strictly for playing ball.

When they dropped in 2014 nobody bought them. Then they went on sale and some colors ended up at the outlets. Oddly enough there were some pairs that sold on StockX for around $200-$250.

I do agree that none of the early or mid 90s shoes are getting a lot of love right now. The Air Flight Lite Olympics (Scottie Pippen's 92 Oly shoe) was selling for like $70 on Nike. The other colors went on sale too. Nike isn't giving up though because we're getting the Alpha Force soon so I think eventually everything else will make it's way around. Maybe 2024 for the 30yr anniversary? We'll see.

BUT if they do bring them back, they have to do them right. Put the 1 on the back and give us the original materials and fit. I think that will work.

Being from Orlando I was on the Penny hype train from the jump. This is why this shoe was so popular in my area. The rest of the world didn't catch on to the Penny hype until the Air Penny 1 and really caught the hype with the Air Penny 2 when all of the Lil Penny commercials got really popular. So I get why people don't remember this shoe too much but I think Nike can still do it justice.
I coveted the Nike Flight One and the Air Up. Last pair of Jordans in HS was the Cardinal 7. The Flight One, Air Up, Go LWP, Unlimited, Lambaste, Maestro 1s and Flight Lite 1s were all sneakers I loved more than Jordans. To a degree, still do.

I coveted the Nike Flight One and the Air Up. Last pair of Jordans in HS was the Cardinal 7. The Flight One, Air Up, Go LWP, Unlimited, Lambaste, Maestro 1s and Flight Lite 1s were all sneakers I loved more than Jordans. To a degree, still do.

People have a hard time believing me when I tell them this.. but from 94-95, Jordans were a 2nd tier shoe. Pennys, Barkleys and Pippens were the Nikes everyone wanted. But even other brands were making their mark. The first Grant Hill Fila was one of the hottest shoes in that era. Kemp Kamikazes Reeboks, Shaqs Reeboks.

It wasn't until MJ came out of retirement in March 1995 that people started getting back into Jordans again.

People have a hard time believing me when I tell them this.. but from 94-95, Jordans were a 2nd tier shoe. Pennys, Barkleys and Pippens were the Nikes everyone wanted. But even other brands were making their mark. The first Grant Hill Fila was one of the hottest shoes in that era. Kemp Kamikazes Reeboks, Shaqs Reeboks.

It wasn't until MJ came out of retirement in March 1995 that people started getting back into Jordans again.
I can definitely attest to this. The first pair of shoes that I got that I actually really wanted was the CB 94s. I chose those over the Jordan 10 (and the Air Up). There was a crazy amount of classic designs during that era. I think 94-95 was easily the best 2 year span in basketball sneaker history, which probably contributes to this shoe being basically forgotten.

💯 First year in college, I had more trouble finding the AM 95 and Uptempo 95 than I did any Jordan that year. I had to drive from Ruston, LA to Dallas to find a pair. Concord 11s dropped at the Bayou Classic in New Orleans, and it was like buying a pair out of DSW. I had no problems and the AM95 was still sold out.

Yup Jordan 9’s and 10s were not hot like that at all

I can definitely attest to this. The first pair of shoes that I got that I actually really wanted was the CB 94s. I chose those over the Jordan 10 (and the Air Up). There was a crazy amount of classic designs during that era. I think 94-95 was easily the best 2 year span in basketball sneaker history, which probably contributes to this shoe being basically forgotten.

For me it was the Air Force Max CB. I remember it being around Christmas time and I was in probably 5th or 6th grade. We were in Foot Locker and it was white/purple Suns color with the 34 on the tab. Price point was $135. I didn't even think there was a shoe more expensive than Jordans. I knew that was way out of my league.

Fast forward to being and adult, having a job and having access to Ebay in the early 2000s. I sniped them up. Got a pair of the Air Ups too. Sadly neither pair is wearable anymore.

20200815_103724.jpg

For me it was the Air Force Max CB. I remember it being around Christmas time and I was in probably 5th or 6th grade. We were in Foot Locker and it was white/purple Suns color with the 34 on the tab. Price point was $135. I didn't even think there was a shoe more expensive than Jordans. I knew that was way out of my league.

Fast forward to being and adult, having a job and having access to Ebay in the early 2000s. I sniped them up. Got a pair of the Air Ups too. Sadly neither pair is wearable anymore.

20200815_103724.jpg
I really wanted the black pair of force max CB. It’s actually one of the reasons I went with the max2 cb when I had the opportunity.

The Air Up logo still gives me some serious real 90s feels lol. Almost nothing could fit the era better.

I would die for a proper retro. Back in 2014 I copped a few pairs of the white/blk/blues for around $70-80 on Finishline. They looked like OGs but there were way too many things wrong with them. The shiny plastic was upsetting. Along with the Air Way Ups, these were my favorite ball shoes in the 90s. I sold them all since I couldnt stand the quality, it just made me so sad since I didnt want to rock them either.

Back
Top Bottom