The Graphic Design Thread UPDATE: 1st post filled with info. 2nd with NTer's portfolios.

Has anyone ever created a typeface from scratch that you can actually type with? And if so, what program did you use?

I just made one in Illustrator, but have no idea how to go about making it a functional typeface.

*raises hand.

If I recall correctly, I used Illustrator to create my type, initially.

Next I uploaded the each type (one at a time) into a program/application called Fontographer--used v.4.7, which allowed for the unique customization.

After this point, I somehow transferred my type into a program/application called Fontbook, then saved it.

I believe after this, the type becomes available to type with in your system.

It's been about 1.5 yrs since I last did this (design process class), so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. I'll try to remember the specifics and hit you with more info.

Here's some pics in the meantime of the type I created; I initially called it "ghost-type", but later changed it to "cryptoglyph":

Last edited:
Anyone know any good tutorials to learn the basics of motion graphics using after effects? I want to try and self teach myself this summer so I can get familiar with it.

I ended up making a poster for the Semi-Permanent x Whirlwind TAKE ME HOME poster comp.

View media item 396591
Lemme know what you think

Posters are a tough pleaser. Sometimes the more work, the better and the less work, the emotion or message really has to be there. It's not always the case but it is how I view things.

In your case, I had to somewhat google who Mr. Light was. Seeing how he is a man from the late 1700's/early 1800's, I really don't get the relevance of the poster with the red and even the typeface. Remember, design is about conveying a message. If the message isn't clear, the design wasn't executed properly. I guess this is a "represent your town" poster contest? And it's not even how you designed the poster. If this is the look you want, I have to understand it without you really going into detail why you did it. Anyways.....not to bash but just sending my thoughts on it. Hopefully it can improve your poster for the better.

If you are talking about making the black lighter, go to PS, choose specific color picker (not sure the exact term), go to the black section and adust the blacks lighter. Gives it the vintage look.

And to just recommend a site for new poster art, check out: http://www.mondoarchive.com/archive/2013/

Honestly I have only heard of them recently and talk about some of the best designers/illustrators out there. I think the whole point is for people to make their own spin on movie posters. Posters are not even expensive but they are super hard to get since they release them via Twitter at any time. Check the archive link and just look out some awesome work.

Some of my favorites from recent drops:

mondo-beetlejuice-poster-by-ken-taylor.jpg
ansinironman3regarchive_thumb.JPG
wiralphvarwhalenarchive_thumb.JPG
stourrdregarchive_thumb.JPG
dkrarchive_thumb.JPG
sotdarchive_thumb.JPG
btpwdkngarchive_thumb.JPG
tronarchive_thumb.JPG
gremlinsregarchive_thumb.JPG
kbtwba_blog_thumb.JPG
rogerrabbit_blog_thumb.JPG
turtlesregblog_thumb.JPG

^^^^Very cool. Not too fem and just about right. Would be really cool if the heart pattern was used for a sole on a shoe.

I shown this before but just want to share again since it was my last design thing I did. I don't do it much but just needed a logo for my photo blog. As much as I preach about good design, I don't really have much to say about the logo aside from it being a "F" and "S" and can be used as a acronym for FireStarter. As far is it pertaining to me, I am not hot in anyway. Still.....just liked it for what it is and consider it a graphic more so than a logo.

yoga-flame-1.jpg
yoga-flame-2.jpg
yoga-flame-3.jpg

Pushing vector points is such a pain but most gratifying when done. You can see the major difference from the 2nd pic to the 3rd. It took hours to make it all right.

Here is the final:

flame-2.png

awesome thread!

in school right now, im still trying to build a port. in the process of creating some of my ideas via illustrator/photoshop. ill post them on instagram when done, and hopefully here if i remember. :lol:

some of the stuff yall posted is cool. definitely some inspiration in here. and all those 'tips' yall posted is very much appreciated! :nthat:

also, on illustrator is there anyway to make the guidelines accurate? like snapping to them w/o having to zoom in?

ill post some websites and people yall should check out later on a computer.

One last thing since I dug up my old photo bucket account that I haven't touched in years.

A t-shirt I wanted to print like back in 2004-2005. Never got to it cause of funds but I always loved this graphic just cause it was just non-sense I created.

Mock up. Would have never done the large FONGSTARR in the back though.

Another logo I made.

And when I got wild back in the WDYWT threads. These are pretty funny that I put in that much work for a damn photo.

Good looks Fongstarr! Glad you posted in this thread. I appreciate that feedback on the poster and I feel now that it was sort of just thrown together without a lot of thought put into it. I really need to knuckle down on my concepts and thought process behind my designs. I wish we learnt more about that in my studies, but it is a lot of practical based work and very little theory.

I think it is important as well to present your work in a tactile form and not just as a visual on a computer screen. For example, if you create a poster, you should print it out and photograph it in a frame or offer some sort of context to the work and how it would appear in a real setting. For a logo, put it on something tactile, a business card, a t shirt, something so that it isn't just a static image and it has some sort of "life" to it. I hope that makes sense :lol:

This stuff will really consume you after a while, I'm not even in the industry yet and I'm stressing myself trying to get better and outshine my peers :lol: I really need to step my game up

Also, how important do you guys feel it is to show concepts with your work in your folio on Behance, etc? And how many concepts are too many to show?

Also, how important do you guys feel it is to show concepts with your work in your folio on Behance, etc? And how many concepts are too many to show?

I think is more of a sense of strategy. Present what is strong first and present others if it makes your work look more solid. Like post college students always face the idea of having school work in your portfolio. If they did some freelance on the side, I would always present that first since it is actual work. If you don't have that, well concepts and school work is all you have. I might kill you in getting an advance position in the graphics field but I don't think it would hurt you. It's just knowing where to place that item amongst your other works.

Some nice stuff in here. First time posting and saw this thread and thought I may as well play..

evon-coleman.com

Let me know what you guys think. Any feedback would be dope.

Prodigy's Firestarter comes to mind whenever i see your logo lol
good stuff tho.

might be just me, but i enjoy seeing/reading when designers give a break down on their designs. from the startup inspiration, the rendering, to the final. i find it interesting, like how people think of what works.

Anyone have experience with magazine layouts? I'm working on a project where I'm rebranding a whole magazine about agriculture and I feel like I've hit a creative wall. The project itself just doesn't interest me. I know I'm going to deal with projects that revolve around subjects that I don't have a particular interest in in the future but I just can't seem to get over this hump. Any suggestions? 

Back
Top Bottom