The Green Movement Has Horrible Marketing vol. Bad News For Humanity

I was talking with my uncle who is a consultant for solar energy and home energy conservation, he has been various State of California task forces and is someone whose expertise, on alternative energy and its application, I consider to be top notch. He and I arrived independent of this conclusion, that the image that is put forth by proponent of green energy is a very unappealing one for most Americans and that the images of a world that fully and successfully embraces green technology is often times one that looks like dystopian science fiction.

The image of the ideal green city is almost always one with people growing crops in their high rise apartments, riding public transportation and/or walking and biking every where, having one or zero children, living in ugly and unfamiliar glass and metal structures, eating completely vegan diets and generally not having cars, big houses, nuclear families, elbow room and the lifestyle that a majority of Americans want. Although my uncle is a self described progressive, he says that he realizes that most people want a traditional middle class or upper middle class life and they feel that pursuing radical solutions for clean energy and a sustainable global economy involves a guarantees that they will never have a decent middle class lifestyle and that they will be unfree and poor.

I and my uncle, whose job is to promote sustainability, alternative energy and sustainable living said that the goal of green technology should not be to force radical lifestyle changes but to reduce and eventually eliminate pollution as well to lower the cost of living. A successful green revolution should be marketed as something that will make the position of the middle class and upper middle class more secure and will bring hundreds of millions of people into a middle class or better standard of living. The goal should be a world where improving technology in solar power makes it so that people can have cheap, efficient and discrete solar collection devices that power their home, power their 300 hp electric car and puts so much power make into the grid that fossil fuels caps and taxes will be redundant and that energy will be cheaper then it has ever been.

The image of world where green technology triumphs must be one that shows that rather than stifling economic growth, it advances it and it makes everything that we consume cheaper in terms of money (energy and durable would be cheaper and there would be more money to pay for things whose prices do not fall) and in non pecuniary terms, that are also tangible such as more stable weather, clear ocean water at urban beaches, an abundance of species on public lands and a lack of guilt from eating animal products when meat, eggs and diary products can be grown without the need to harvest them from sentient beings).

As an environmentalist, I have been thinking this for a while now and I feel like some are using the very real concerns over unsustainability and environmental degradation to attack the average person's tastes and preferences (the notion among some that driving cars is anti social, that people who live in the suburbs are selfish (and usually racist), that eating meat is primitive and that having more then one child is simply wrong) for reasons beyond their environmental costs.

This development is troubling because it obscures the promise of cheap and low and no carbon energy sources and instead of using this current wave of widespread environmental awareness to excoriate the evil of the quarter acre lot and the white picket fence, we should promote green technologies as the thing that will turn your white picket fence into the thing that pays you electric bills and powers your car and creates a world where everyone can now have a white picket fence if they so choose and whose who choose to have children will not be scorned as being people who recklessly overpopulate the Earth but rather children should be seen as people whose futures will not just full of blue skies and a clean blue earth but will live in a world where the future is something that is viewed with giddy anticipation instead of apocalyptic dread.

Cliff notes: Today's environmental movement is being abused by those who dislike American style prosperity and as a result they make environmentalism look a like a force that is hostile to Middle Class Westerners and hostile to the billions of people who want to rise economically and live as well as middle class Americans. The reality is that the refinement of, the creation of and the widespread use of new and better green technology will make existing affluence more secure and will greatly expand the ranks of the affluent and if green technology being the way to greater and more widespread prosperity became the dominant theme of environmentalism, there would be be much more public support, more wide spread public engagement in the process and green policies would be shaped by forces who are more representative of ordinary citizens and the world would become a much better place.

Tragically, if the face of the environmental movement continues to be or continues to appear to be those who are out of touch, contemptuous of the average person's goals and aspirations and is run by those who are hostile to humanity itself, the green movement could become merely a political football, a casualty of the culture wars that are periodically fought in politics. That outcome would be detrimental for everyone.

What do guys think NT?

Okay I actually read it, here's my thoughts.

I think you're right about the whole 'green' movement being marketed wrong. Everything in the media shows a world of Earth consciousness being full of uniformed and bland people, and cities devoid of diversity. Everyone is doing the same thing, chillin at a Starbucks talking on their iPhones and waiting for the bus that runs on ethanol. More realistically, I think that people would continue their current lifestyle with the substitution of electric cars instead of fossil fuel cars.
I mean, running your house on solar power isn't some futuristic ideal, I know people that right now have solar panels on their roof. They seem to be doing just fine, and continue living a life most everyone else in my area lives. Only difference is that their power bills are substantially less than mine.

I think it boils down to people being scared of change. They dont want to try something different when they enjoy what they have. The only problem with that is, the good times always come to an end.

all i know is the image of the green movement for the average person is that of extreme MEASURES and means of change. People are afraid of that and don't think baby steps towards a greener place to live is good enough. scare tactics.

it's perpetrated out there that baby steps, while contradictory of other actions you may be doing, aren't good enough. Many are just turned off instantly. It's image is definitely BAD, real bad.

it has horrible marketing because its not yet marketable. Its much more profitable for companies to run out the fossil fuel era as long as they can. For example.....its better for energy companies to keep selling gas to homes individually rather than have a family buy one solar panel and then thats it, they are no longer dependent on fossil fuels (simply speaking). So until then the "green movement" becomes profitable or at least somewhere as profitable as fossil fuels, the companies will not budge and will probably even try to constrict its progress. Its all up to the consumer. 

I'm suppose to still be sleep. Don't have class until 2 in the afternoon. I'll read this later. I promise.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I used to assume that in order to live green meant sacrifice but now I understand it is not that like that at all.

Nothing is marketable to the American people unless they're made to believe they need it.

And in the mind of most Americans, Green Technology and Innovation is still an option.

It's sad, really. But IDK, 'cause I plan on going into Eco-Friendly fields with my CS degree. So when America F's itself over, I'll be there to get paid.

pimp.gif

i think most of those people you described with the white picket fence really don't "believe" in green energy or it's purpose. Many people really don't think humans negativley effect the planet, and that it's a kind of hoax. This can be due to differant factors like ignorance, misinformation, religion, politilization of this issue...

Plus you need the whole world working together. This can't be an amaerican led initiative. i don't see china cleaning up anytime soon. (i think they are in the process and signed some documents but i don't see it happening for decades). also the way that the green movement is advertising their movement to the average american just isn't done well.

I think you may be absolutely correct, although I only read about a paragraph and a half and jumped to the cliff's notes (thanks for that,
pimp.gif
).

If the green movement was marketed as something along the lines of "same life, better stuff" or something like that, it could catch on more easily. If car manufacturers weren't making their hybrids look like weird space ships (granted, a lot of them are doing their well-known cars in hybrid versions, now), if they didn't make it seem like you had to go out of your way to be good to the environment, etc. then Americans--a genre of people who are lazy en masse--would definitely subscribe to it more.

The most important part in your post is the cost of going green. The government, in part, helped aid in this by adding tax rebates to the purchase of hybrid cars, but what place does the government have in rewarding us for certain behaviors? It is not the government's role to try to persuade us into certain actions by throwing money at us.

When the technology is as cheap and available as the alternative, I think we will see change. I remember trying to rationalize my purchase of a Prius for the longest time. Everywhere I read said that you would be better off buying a Corolla, because of the lower initial cost, and that it would take at least 5 years to realize the difference in fuel savings to rationalize the higher purchase price of the Prius. I guarantee that if the Prius had the same price as non-hybrid alternatives, the sales of those cars would skyrocket. Now, the only way to realize the value of a fuel efficient car is to drive it. We have put 50,000 miles on our Prius in 2 years. At a very conservative estimate of 45 MPG lifetime, and a similar estimate of 28 MPG on the Corolla, I've realized a fuel savings of nearly $2,000. That number increases as the price of fuel goes up. I was hesitant to get the Prius, but I don't regret the decision in hindsight. It is a bore to drive, but it is very efficient, which I can appreciate.

If I drive every where at 65 MPH and coast to red lights, and accelerate slowly, I can easily squeeze mid 50s MPG, but it drives me crazy sometimes.

Really good post Rex. I look at "green cars", for instance, as successful marketing. The eco cars sold today are hideous, radical, and unlike anything else sold on the market. These companies have made the owners of the cars stand out from the crowd, obviously intentional. It's marketed more as a fad than a movement imo.

Originally Posted by eaalto

The most important part in your post is the cost of going green. The government, in part, helped aid in this by adding tax rebates to the purchase of hybrid cars, but what place does the government have in rewarding us for certain behaviors? It is not the government's role to try to persuade us into certain actions by throwing money at us.

When the technology is as cheap and available as the alternative, I think we will see change. I remember trying to rationalize my purchase of a Prius for the longest time. Everywhere I read said that you would be better off buying a Corolla, because of the lower initial cost, and that it would take at least 5 years to realize the difference in fuel savings to rationalize the higher purchase price of the Prius. I guarantee that if the Prius had the same price as non-hybrid alternatives, the sales of those cars would skyrocket. Now, the only way to realize the value of a fuel efficient car is to drive it. We have put 50,000 miles on our Prius in 2 years. At a very conservative estimate of 45 MPG lifetime, and a similar estimate of 28 MPG on the Corolla, I've realized a fuel savings of nearly $2,000. That number increases as the price of fuel goes up. I was hesitant to get the Prius, but I don't regret the decision in hindsight. It is a bore to drive, but it is very efficient, which I can appreciate.

If I drive every where at 65 MPH and coast to red lights, and accelerate slowly, I can easily squeeze mid 50s MPG, but it drives me crazy sometimes.
Oh my... you must be Brian from Family Guy lol

Take that crap out of here tree hugger.

My wife and I had these people over our house the other night for dinner and one of them finished a bottle of water and was like "where do you put your recyclables"?  I said in the freaking garbage and she gave us this look like "you don't recycle????' with so much disdain.  Recylce?  Give me a break.

Let me tell you something:  F your priuses, recyling, sustainable living, go green tree hugger bs and learn to live in a wonderful world called reality.

Sorry.  I am a well educated person but I cannot stand this green crap anymore.  It's so annoying already. 

Originally Posted by HOVKid

My wife and I had these people over our house the other night for dinner and one of them finished a bottle of water and was like "where do you put your recyclables"?  I said in the freaking garbage and she gave us this look like "you don't recycle????' with so much disdain.  Recylce?  Give me a break.

Let me tell you something:  F your priuses, recyling, sustainable living, go green tree hugger bs and learn to live in a wonderful world called reality.

Sorry.  I am a well educated person but I cannot stand this green crap anymore.  It's so annoying already. 

roll.gif
roll.gif

HOVKid coming in with nonsense.  Nothing constructive, just a Tea Party type rant with nothing to say but NO.

OP, we need Don Draper/Peggy Olson to come up with an advertising campaign.

wow. just horrible. 

roll.gif
dang HovKid all of that man

its such as huge leap to many american that I can see why they wont like the change, prob one of the reasons why is also so expensive. I do like most of the architectural "green" designs and I try to sometimes incorporate them into my school projects tho.

i do recycle.. but i don't OD like some of these hypocrites.. it's a fact the the majority or Prius/Hybrid owners also own a SUV of some sort (preferably a luxury one) which is pretty 
indifferent.gif
 if you ask me. 

for me its all about small changes that I can sustain and build from.. Marketing now has everyone believing its this radical change.

I recycle, buy local. Do I drive when I could easily walk? yes. Baby steps are good steps no matter what are a positive. Do some of my actions contradict other actions in a negative manner? I'm sure they do.

The key is: everyone is different. A broad marketing campaign that doesnt try to single out a group would be key

HOVKid how do you not have a recycling bin? Maybe its cause im from I'm from seattle but everyone around here has one. Recycling is not even "green crap" its now common sense.

Back
Top Bottom