holliday-pujols.jpg

Albert will be back, no worries.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Opening day couldn't come any sooner.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Adrian Beltre getting $9 mil next season?

Is this really where we are at with MLB salary structure? (Wait sorry I asked)

Good grief.

He doesn't deserve 9 million?

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

I would retire this sn and quit watching baseball if Albert became a Yankee.

I just don't see it happening FB. Whatever that's worth
laugh.gif

Plus, I like how they start "Imagine Pujols hitting behind Jeter..." As if Jeter found the mythical fountain of youth.

Yankee fans should take solace that they just won a World Series. There is too much going on from now until the end of 2011.

I think MLB is headed towards a salary cap. High spending teams will have to cut their spending, and low spending teams will have to spend a little more.

I just don't see Pujols in a Yankee uni.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Good grief.

You think he does?

Originally Posted by Proshares

Good grief.

You think he does?
Without question, perhaps the best fielding 3rd baseman ever, moving from one of the toughest parks for right handed hitters to one of the bestparks for right handers and he's healthy.

Nowhere to go but up, 9 million is right inline with his value on his glove alone.

Good grief.

Don't think so, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

do you guys think albert would accept anything less. (I actually think he would.....

I actually think you lost your marbles.

Pujols is about to make A-Rod jealous when his deal comes up. And that can be with whatever discounts you think Albert will make.
The reason i say that is because albert has always stated that he isnt worried about money and would want to stay no matter what....as long as thecardinals management acts like they are committed to winning. Them signing holliday for soo much money says THAT much if anything.

I am so relieved that we re-signed Matt. Pujols isn't taking less pay than Matt when his contract comes up, but he isn't leaving St. Louis either.Ownership knew the only way to secure Albert for the remainder of his career was to sign someone like Holliday. Our Aces just need to stay healthy, still needto improve the pen and we are in the thick of things in 2010. I will make the NL Central thread this season like I did in 06
wink.gif

I am so relieved that we re-signed Matt. Pujols isn't taking less pay than Matt when his contract comes up, but he isn't leaving St. Louis either. Ownership knew the only way to secure Albert for the remainder of his career was to sign someone like Holliday. Our Aces just need to stay healthy, still need to improve the pen and we are in the thick of things in 2010. I will make the NL Central thread this season like I did in 06
wink.gif
Things are looking real good early for the Birds.

Here's what we got:

LINEUP
2B - Schumaker
CF - Rasmus
1B - Pujols
LF - Holliday
RF - Ludwick
C - Molina
3B - Freese? (This is the biggest question mark IMO)
SS - Lugo/Ryan

ROTATION
Carpenter
Wainwright
Lohse (should be healthy)
Penny
Boggs/Smoltz/Jaime Garcia?

FB is right, if our bullpen is even average and the team can stay reasonably healthy, it could be a great 2010 season.

I am so relieved that we re-signed Matt. Pujols isn't taking less pay than Matt when his contract comes up, but he isn't leaving St. Louis either. Ownership knew the only way to secure Albert for the remainder of his career was to sign someone like Holliday. Our Aces just need to stay healthy, still need to improve the pen and we are in the thick of things in 2010. I will make the NL Central thread this season like I did in 06
wink.gif
happy.gif

Having Holliday in the 4th spot all season will be HUGE......I dont think albert will have as many intentional walks as he did the last few years.
grin.gif

We`re still in the mix to get felipe lopez back in our lineup........This should be a nice year. I will certainly by going to 10-15 games this year (andgetting a Holliday jersey in addition to the AP5 jersey i have.)

SMFH at not having Robby and Larkin in as first ballots. Bert misses by .8% SMH
[h2]Dawson named to Hall of Fame[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Andre Dawson was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame Wednesday in his ninth year on the ballot.

In a shock, he was the sole inductee this year, with 77.9 percent of the vote. Bert Blyleven received 74.2 percent of the vote, and Roberto Alomar, whom many had anticipated would be a shoo-in, was third with 73.7 percent.

Edgar Martinez, Barry Larkin and Fred McGriff also were new to the ballot this year, and Martinez was a test of how Hall voters assess players who were predominantly designated hitters.

Holdovers include Mark McGwire, Jack Morris and Lee Smith.

Players must appear on at least 75 percent of the ballots to gain election.

The induction ceremony will be held July 25 in Cooperstown, N.Y.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

eek.gif
@ Alomar getting shafted. I personally didn'tthink Larkin was a 1st ballot shoe in, but he will get in soon. Congrats to the Hawk for finally getting the nod.

I think them two along w/McGriff should be in either next year or the following. People underestimate the hell out of Crime Dog.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I think them two along w/McGriff should be in either next year or the following. People underestimate the hell out of Crime Dog.

http:// [h3][/h3]
[h3]Market for Wang taking shape?[/h3]
4:21PM ET

[h5]Chien-Ming Wang | Yankees[/h5]
Top Email

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6209Chien-Ming Wang became a free agent last month when the Yankees failed to offer him a contract. His agent now says the right-hander has drawn interest from 15 teams.

The Boston Globe reports today that Wang met with Dr. James Andrews and the results of the exam were positive on his right shoulder.

Though he won't be ready to start the season, Wang could be ready by May, and might be a solid upside play for a club at the back end of their rotation.

Alan Nero, Wang's agent, told Andrew Marchand of 1050 ESPN New York that the Yankees are among the interested parties. Wang won 19 games for the Yankees in 2006 and 2007, but has not been the same pitcher since suffering a foot injury while running the bases in June 2008.

A report on MLB.com in mid-December said that the Dodgers, currently managed by Joe Torre, Wang's former manager, might have some interest.

http:// [h3]Chapman signing soon?[/h3]
3:43PM ET

[h5]Aroldis Chapman[/h5]
Top Email

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/leagues/lrg/trans/mlb.gif[/img]
FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal tweeted Thursday that the http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=laaLos Angeles Angels are "trying like crazy" to sign Aroldis Chapman, and ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes reports that the Red Sox are still in it, too.

Aroldis Chapman is saying that he expects to sign within the next three or four days, according to Juan C. Rodriguez, so if the http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=bosBoston Red Sox, http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=flaFlorida Marlins or the Angels -- the three teams with the most interest, based off recent reports -- want Chapman, now's the time to step up with their best offer.

With reports that the Florida Marlins upped their $13 million offer to something closer to or possibly exceeding that of Boston's original off of about $15 million, the Angels have begun to show serious interest, and ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney tweeted Wednesday that one talent evaluator "expects the bidding on Chapman to go to $20 million."

That, Olney continues, despite "concern in some quarters that he is better suited for relief than as a starter."

Olney also tweets that "the Mets are not in on Aroldis Chapman -- just as the Yankees are not in on Aroldis Chapman," so the $20 million isn't coming from the Big Apple.

http:// [h3]Rangers find their DH?[/h3]
3:35PM ET

[h5]Vladimir Guerrero | Angels[/h5]
Top Email

In a tweet from ESPN The Magazine's Jorge Arangure, Jr., we learned that, according to Enrique Rojas, the Texas Rangers have offered Vladimir Guerrero a one-year, $7 million contract that Rojas is not certain Guerrero will accept or decline.

Texas has been eyeing Guerrero, as well as Gary Sheffield, Jermaine Dye and Jim Thome for their DH role, but perhaps they see Guerrero as a part-time outfielder as well.

If Guerrero signs, it removes another option for Thome, Dye and Sheffield, and with Jack Cust returning to Oakland Thursday, the A's won't be extending offers to any of the group, either.

law_keith_30.jpg
[h5]Keith Law[/h5]
I'd skip it, Texas
"You hate to say it, but I don't think Vlad has much left to offer at the plate. His legs and back are broken down to the point where he struggles to drive the ball, and he can't play the field at all."

http:// [h3]Angels looking ahead?[/h3]
2:40PM ET

[h5]Los Angeles Angels[/h5]
Top Email

With the recent events surrounding the Los Angeles Angels roster -- losing Chone Figgins, John Lackey and likely Vladimir Guerrero -- might the club be in protect mode when it comes to their future?

Sure, they signed Hideki Matsui and Fernando Rodney, so they clearly aren't punting 2010, but not only did they pick up two high draft picks when Figgins and Lackey signed elsewhere, they also presumably refused to including Jordan Walden or Trevor Reckling in a trade for Roy Halladay, were not aggressive on the third base market where a veteran would have blocked Brandon Wood for yet another year and now the club is reportedly serious about spending at least $15 million on Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman, who is more of a prospect than a big-league pitcher at this stage.

It could be a good group of moves for GM Tony Reagins, who would have had to blow payroll to retain his two top free agents. Now, he may be set up to compete in 2010 and be aggressive next winter when Cliff Lee, Josh Beckett, Ted Lilly and Brandon Webb could all become free agents, along with catcher Joe Mauer and outfielder Carl Crawford.

http:// [h3]Pirates in lead for Ankiel?[/h3]
2:07PM ET

[h5]Rick Ankiel | Cardinals[/h5]
Top Email

Free-agent outfielder Rick Ankiel may find a home in Pittsburgh, reports Ken Rosenthal, but one of Rosenthal's sources is less optimistic than the other, suggesting that Ankiel is no sure thing.

"We think that Rick is certainly a good candidate to have a rebound season in 2010 and have expressed our interest to his representative," Bucs president Frank ****elly said Wednesday in an chat on MLB.com.

Dejan Kovakevic of the Post-Gazette says Ankiel is a top priority, but there have been no "meaningful negotiations" between the sides. Kovakevic lists the Royals as the only other team known to be interested in Ankiel.

Ankiel would play in a corner spot for the Pirates who have Andrew McCutchen in center, which would allow Garret Jones to play first base where his defensive skills are better suited.

Rosenthal points out that it's not out of the question that Jones plays right, however, if the Pirates can lock up a legit first baseman.

law_keith_30.jpg
[h5]Keith Law[/h5]
Ankiel makes some sense in Pittsburgh
"Ankiel could be a good flier to take for Pittsburgh, and you'd think he'd almost assuredly want a one-year deal to re-establish his value. The downside is he's always going to be a low-contact guy, he doesn't walk much, and at 30 years old he's not likely to suddenly improve in either area. He could be a plus arm and solid as a corner OF, and since the Bucs are set in CF, it makes some sense."

http:// [h3]Bell on the block?[/h3]
12:33PM ET

[h5]Heath Bell | Padres[/h5]
Top Email

The San Diego Padres have five players on their roster scheduled to make $1 million or more in 2010, and two of them are the subjects of trade talk this winter.

We've talked at length about Adrian Gonzalez, but according to Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com, three or four teams are interested in the right-hander.

Bell would make a solid addition to a contending club -- such as Detroit -- who doesn't want to spend on a pricey free-agent reliever -- again, Detroit. But Rosenthal also adds that GM Jed Hoyer is "not really" looking to move Bell at this stage.

Bell could be a late winter or early spring move for a club such as Detroit, or possibly St. Louis.

http:// [h3]Pineiro's options[/h3]
12:24PM ET

[h5]Joel Pineiro | Cardinals[/h5]
Top Email

As ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney writes Thursday, the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets are interested in Joel Pineiro, and both clubs need help at the top of their starting rotation.

Pineiro's asking price is a bit high for both teams right now, and no other club has stepped forward to make even a two-year offer to date.

Olney also writes Thursday that the St. Louis Cardinals need a starting pitcher to round out their rotation, so one has to wonder how far Pineiro's asking price has to fall before the Cardinals can afford to jump into the race for Pineiro, who has benefited greatly from the work of pitching coach Dave Duncan.

Pineiro is believed to be looking for three years at a salary right around what the Milwaukee Brewers gave Randy Wolf, which is more than $9 million per season.

http:// [h3]Tigers looking at relievers?[/h3]
11:58AM ET

[h5]Detroit Tigers[/h5]
Top Email

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney writes today that among the 10 biggest vacancies to be filled still this winter is the late-inning relief corps of the Detroit Tigers, who lost Fernando Rodney and Brandon Lyon to free agency.

Olney mentions right-handers Jose Valverde, Kevin Gregg and Octavio Dotel as possibilities for Detroit, with Valverde being quite pricey and costing a draft pick.

The Tigers do have some young arms to go to, however, namely Ryan Perry and the newly-acquired Daniel Schlereth, who both have upsides as a closer and are big-league ready. Right-hander Joel Zumaya's injury and command problems make him unreliable, and anything he gives Detroit is icing.

It may be all about brass taxes when it comes to whether GM Dave Dombrowski grabs a closer off the free agent pile, as the club has been paring down payroll.

http:// [h3]Could Damon land in Atlanta?[/h3]
10:58AM ET

[h5]Johnny Damon | Yankees[/h5]
Top Email

One free agent outfielder who surprisingly has drawn little interest is Johnny Damon, who may have priced himself out of a return to the New York Yankees.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported Wednesday that the Giants still have some free agent money left and are interested in Damon and Jack Cust.

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney says the Braves would be a good fit for Damon, but he would have to play for substantially less than what the Yankees offered. There are reports that the Braves may have reached their payroll limit. In addition, Damon's defense in spacious Turner Field could be an issue.

law_keith_30.jpg
[h5]Keith Law[/h5]
Giants a better fit
"The question for Atlanta is would they sign Damon to some insane contract, only to platoon him with Matt Diaz? I don't see it. Granted, it would be absurdly productive -- Diaz hit .412/.464/.640 against lefties last year -- but pretty expensive. In San Fran, defense in that spacious OF is a question, but they need bats."

http:// [h3]Towers headed to the Bronx?[/h3]
10:46AM ET

[h5]New York Yankees[/h5]
Top Email

Kevin Towers is enjoying his time away from the game, but the former Padres general manager is expected to get back in baseball soon with the New York Yankees.

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney writes in today's blog that Towers is expected to join the Yankees this year as a consultant and without a formal title.

"The title matters, because Towers is being paid by the Padres for the next year, and if the Yankees were to give him some bells-and-whistles title, they would be more at risk to have to pay him out of their own pockets," Buster writes.

Even the Yankees look for ways to save money.

http:// [h3]Big Mac as a pinch-hitter?[/h3]
10:37AM ET

[h5]Mark McGwire | Cardinals[/h5]
Top Email

Mark McGwire will begin the next stage of his baseball life as hitting coach of the Cardinals, but could manager Tony La Russa have something else in mind?

La Russa told the Contra Costa Times that he might even consider using McGwire as a pinch-hitter.

"If we're in contention, we'll put him on the roster Aug. 31. It's a nice little dream," said La Russa. "Is it likely? Probably not. I don't think it's a zero possibility."

La Russa added that he expects McGwire to have a press conference by the end of the month and definitely before the start of spring training. Remember, Big Mac doesn't like to talk about the past.

http:// [h3]Could Cantu be traded?[/h3]
10:31AM ET

[h5]Jorge Cantu | Marlins[/h5]
Top Email

The Marlins have been unable to make a suitable deal for Dan Uggla, so Juan C. Rodriguez of the Sun-Sentinel reported Wednesday that the Fish could start taking calls about the availability of Jorge Cantu.

Don't count on it, says another beat writer. The Marlins may be keeping a close eye on the payroll, but Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald says the team has no intention of unloading Cantu, who just had his second season of 100 or more RBI, to save money.

http:// [h3]Edgar Gonzalez heads to Japan[/h3]
10:13AM ET

[h5]Edgar Gonzalez | Padres[/h5]
Top Email

A Padres infielder named Gonzalez apparently has found a new home. No, the Red Sox have not pulled off a blockbuster deal for Adrian Gonzalez.

Kyodo News is reporting that the Japan Series champion Yomiuri Giants are close to acquiring Edgar Gonzalez, the 31-year-old younger brother of Adrian. Could the absence of his brother in the dugout make Adrian more inclined to accept a trade?

http:// [h3]Vlad still looking for work[/h3]
9:28AM ET

[h5]Vladimir Guerrero | Angels[/h5]
Top Email

It was six offseasons ago that Valdimir Guerrero was the most coveted position player on the free agent market. With his tenure with the Angels now complete, the injury-plagued Guerrero is looking for a job.

A logical destination would be the Texas Rangers, who are looking for a bat. T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com writes that the Rangers like the idea of having Vlad in a lineup with Josh Hamilton. The issue is how much the cash-strapped Rangers are able to spend and how much Guerrero will come down in price.

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney writes that the Rangers figure to be in a great position to pluck one of the veteran sluggers from the free-agent market once the prices fall. The Rangers could then land Guerrero or Jermaine Dye.

http:// [h3]Will the Mets land a free agent starter?[/h3]
9:10AM ET

[h5]New York Mets[/h5]
Top Email

The New York Mets made it official on Tuesday, formally announcing the signing of free agent outfielder Jason Bay.

It didn't take long for the attention to then focus on the other glaring needs for a franchise that lost 92 games in an injury-ravaged 2009 season. The Mets still need a catcher and the talks for catcher Bengie Molina seem to have stalled. The Mets also are in the market for more starting pitching.

Buster Olney of ESPN The Magazine writes in today's blog that the Mets could be in a "commanding position" for free agent starters since they may have the most money to spend. "By the end of the bidding, they figure to land either Joel Pineiro -- the best of the available starters -- or Jon Garland," Buster writes.

Anthony McCarron of the Daily News reported Wednesday that the Mets may deliberately be waiting deeper into the offseason in order to increase their leverage and improve their price with the remaining free agents.

"We've said to the fans, 'Be patient. We'll eventually get to our goals,'" Minaya said.

http:// [h3]Lowry on comeback trail[/h3]
8:57AM ET

[h5]Noah Lowry | Giants[/h5]
Top Email

The Dodgers are among the 14 teams willing to take a look at Noah Lowry, his agent told the Los Angeles Times.

The agent, Damon Lopa, says 14 teams have requested medical records on his client. Lowry won 13 games in 2005 and 14 in 2007 for the Giants, so the 29-year-old left-hander could be a bargain if healthy.

http:// [h3]Duke, Pirates likely to avoid hearing[/h3]
8:15AM ET

[h5]Zach Duke | Pirates[/h5]
Top Email

The Pirates appear to be on the same page in negotiations with All-Star pitcher Zach Duke, reports the Post-Gazette .

Duke, who made $2.2 million last season, is the only Pirate eligible for arbitration. The Post-Gazette says there is not a huge disagreement over salary as there was between the Pirates and closer Matt Capps, who was non-tendered and ended up in Washington. All signs point to an amicable agreement.

http:// [h3]Hinske puts Braves at payroll limit[/h3]
8:00AM ET

[h5]Eric Hinske | Yankees[/h5]
Top Email

The Atlanta Braves reportedly are close to their payroll limit after finalizing a deal with Troy Glaus and bringing in Eric Hinske as his backup.

A deal wih Hinske, who split last season between Pittsburgh and the Yankees, is contingent upon him passing a physical.

GM Frank Wren told the Atlanta JC that the Braves were close to their projected payroll, which is expected to be about $90 million.

http:// [h3]Keepin' up with the Cards?[/h3]
7:10AM ET

[h5]National League Central[/h5]
Top Email

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/leagues/lrg/trans/mlb.gif[/img]
The St. Louis Cardinals boast two Cy Young candidates and two MVP candidates among their 25-man roster members, now that they have Matt Holliday under contract. But there's no reason to believe the Cards are a juggernaut that can't be caught, so what do the Chicago Cubs and Milwaukee Brewers have to do to keep up with St. Louis and potentially overtake them in the NL Central?

The Cubs need their core players to remain healthy, for one, and Carlos Zambrano needs to pitch to the level for which the club is paying him. They could use a bounce-back season from catcher Geovany Soto and second baseman Mike Fontenot, and must get one from Alfonso Soriano, whose .726 OPS in 2009 is 110 points lower than his career mark.

The Cubs bullpen is also suspect, with Carlos Marmol penciled in at closer, and no clear answer in the seventh and eighth innings.

Adding Orlando Hudson at second base would help, as would Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez having career years, while newcomer Marlon Byrd plays better defense than some expect.

As for the Brewers, they need starting pitching, even after adding Randy Wolf on a three-year deal. They are kicking tires on Jarrod Washburn, and may jump into the race for Joel Pineiro if the price drops down from Wolf-like money.

Getting Rickie Weeks back healthy will be big, as will getting more production from the catcher position where the Brewers inked Gregg Zaun.

Vlad signed... One-year with an option...

Khalil Greene also signed, will be the Rangers utility IF...

The aging slugger is a .394 career hitter at Rangers Ballpark, with 14 homers and 33 RBIs in 50 games.
Vlad loves that ballpark
laugh.gif

wouldnt be surprised if he has a good year

Pineiro is believed to be looking for three years at a salary right around what the Milwaukee Brewers gave Randy Wolf, which is more than $9 million per season.

Guy is nuts, Wolf was already overpaid. This guy had a solid season last year attacking the strike zone consistently, but he has a career 4.39 ERA.

Some desperate team will pay him though.

....Alomar not getting in is atrocious and a sham.

Back
Top Bottom