The Major League Baseball Post

Technically he is already in pinstripes.
wink.gif

Not to say that he's a better pitcher than Lincecum or Jimenez but I'd personally rather have David Price.

Rule 4 draft is next week, Law's latest mock draft for anyone interested:

Spoiler [+]
The 2010 Rule 4 draft is just one week away, and there haven't been many changes in the Top 10, but there's more clarity in the middle of the round than there was a week ago. The biggest change has to be the comeback of LSU starter Anthony Ranaudo, who started the year as the presumptive No. 2 pick behind Bryce Harper but struggled through an injury-plagued spring. He was solid in his start at the SEC tournament Wednesday, then was very impressive in a three-inning relief outing Sunday as the Tigers won the championship game. But questions about his price tag and what's really going on in his elbow will limit his market to teams with larger draft budgets and higher risk tolerances.

1.png

[h6]Washington Nationals
[/h6]

was.gif

Bryce Harper, C, College of Southern Nevada

No change. Harper's next game is Monday at 2 p.m. MT at the JuCo World Series in Grand Junction, Colo. SCOUTING VIDEO

2.png

[h6]Pittsburgh Pirates[/h6]

pit.gif

Manny Machado, SS, Brito Miami Private High School (Fla.)

Still possible they take Drew Pomeranz, but the odds of them taking Jameson Taillon remain slim. SCOUTING VIDEO

3.png

[h6]Baltimore Orioles [/h6]

bal.gif

Jameson Taillon, RHP, The Woodlands High School (Texas)

If Taillon is gone -- unlikely -- they'll probably take Machado. SCOUTING VIDEO

4.png

[h6]Kansas City Royals [/h6]

kan.gif

Chris Sale, LHP, Florida Gulf Coast University

The name of the week is Minnesota catcher/right fielder Michael Kvasnicka, and this is the highest I've heard him so far.

5.png

[h6]Cleveland Indians [/h6]

cle.gif

Drew Pomeranz, LHP, Ole Miss

Or a college bat (Michael Choice over Zack Cox), or possibly Chris Sale if he gets here.
http://http://http://http:// [img]http://a.espncdn.com/i/inside...i][color=#225fb2]Arizona Diamondbacks[/color][/h6]

ari.gif

Michael Choice, OF, Texas-Arlington

The Diamondbacks could also take Zack Cox, Deck McGuire or Drew Pomeranz.

7.png

[h6]New York Mets[/h6]

nym.gif

Zack Cox, 3B, Arkansas

They like Brandon Workman, and Kvasnicka is also in the Mets' extended mix, although taking him over Cox would elicit a lot of criticism in the industry. Wild rumor of the week had them interested in Matt Harvey.

8.png

[h6]Houston Astros[/h6]

hou.gif

Josh Sale, OF, Bishop Blanchet High School (Wash.)

The fact that no one has a strong idea of what the Astros want to do is fueling a lot of rumors that didn't check out when I looked into them. One thing I did learn is that they can go over slot on the right player.

9.png

[h6]San Diego Padres[/h6]

sdg.gif

Kolbrin Vitek, 2B, Ball State

The Padres remain interested in Karsten Whitson and Nick Castellanos and would probably pop Zack Cox if he fell this far.

10.png

[h6]Oakland Athletics[/h6]

oak.gif

Dylan Covey, RHP, Marantha H.S.

One hot rumor this week has the A's on Florida prep infielder Yordy Cabrera, but I was told that's unlikely. They remain high on Michael Choice and could consider Christian Colon here.

11.png

[h6]Toronto Blue Jays[/h6]

tor.gif

Karsten Whitson, RHP, Chipley H.S.

The Jays are on everyone from Whitson to Covey to Aaron Sanchez to Justin O'Conner to Kaleb Cowart to Jake Skole (more on him in a moment).

12.png

[h6]Cincinnati Reds[/h6]

cin.gif

Yasmani Grandal, C, Miami

I've also heard them on Christian Colon, Gary Brown, Bryce Brentz, and most recently Arkansas CF/RHP Brett Eibner. Colon and Brown seem a little less likely because they'll probably look for a bonus over slot. SCOUTING VIDEO

13.png

[h6]Chicago White Sox[/h6]

cha.gif

Deck McGuire, RHP, Georgia Tech

They're taking a non-Boras college arm -- McGuire's stock seems to be slipping, which could push him to the White Sox over Asher Wojciechowski and Barrett Loux.

14.png

[h6]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=milMilwaukee Brewers [/h6]

mil.gif

Nick Castellanos, SS/3B, Archbishop McCarthy (Fla.)

I've heard several names here as well, including Matt Harvey, but it's worth noting that Milwaukee and Houston are the subjects of the most speculation, and both scouting directors worked under Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik, who was famed for his extreme secrecy when he ran Milwaukee's drafts. SCOUTING VIDEO

15.png

[h6]Texas Rangers[/h6]

tex.gif

Kellin Deglan, C, Langley H.S. (B.C.)

This pick is unprotected, meaning that the Rangers have to sign whomever they take here because they receive no compensation in the 2011 draft, so they're looking at signable guys like Deglan or Kvasnicka.

There's also a rumor that the Rangers are one of a few teams in hard on Georgia Tech baseball/football recruit Jake Skole, who is getting significant interest in the late first/sandwich/early second round range; he played only nine games this spring around an ankle injury that kept him out two months, but he is a premium athlete with a compact swing who did hit well in his limited time on the field. The Blue Jays are also reportedly on Skole, who'd probably cut a deal if any team took him this high.

16.png

[h6]Chicago Cubs[/h6]

chn.gif

Justin O'Conner, C, Cowen H.S.

Tim Wilken loves athletic kids who play multiple sports or who play as both position players and pitchers. The latter describes O'Conner, who has moved behind the plate this year with strong results.

17.png

[h6]Tampa Bay Rays[/h6]

tam.gif

Bryce Brentz, OF, Middle Tennessee State

Brentz's stock seems to have slipped a little, but I still expect him to go in the middle of the round. I do expect the Rays to go pretty heavy on prep athletes at some point in the draft, but it may not come until the second round. SCOUTING VIDEO

18.png

[h6]Los Angeles Angels (from Seattle)[/h6]

laa.gif

Peter Tago, RHP, Dana Hills H.S.

I've also heard the Angels love O'Conner; they could take him here and hope Tago slides to 29.

19.png

[h6]Houston Astros (from Detroit)[/h6]

hou.gif

Delino DeShields Jr., 2B, Woodward Park Academy (Ga.)

They're also reportedly on Texas A&M righty Barrett Loux if DeShields doesn't get here.

20.png

[h6]Boston Red Sox (from Atlanta)[/h6]

bos.gif

Anthony Ranaudo, RHP, LSU

If Boston could get full medical info on Ranaudo, I think this would be close to a lock … but if they could get full medical info, so could the teams ahead of them, and Ranaudo might not even make it this far. Either way, the team that takes Ranaudo will have to take a leap of faith, because he's not coming to town for a physical. The Red Sox are also interested in Vitek, Wojciechowski, Kaleb Cowart and Barrett Loux.

21.png

[h6]Minnesota Twins[/h6]

min.gif

Alex Wimmers, RHP, Ohio State

The Twins supposedly want either Wimmers or Brentz and are hoping at least one of them falls to them.

22.png

[h6]Texas Rangers[/h6]

tex.gif

Kaleb Cowart, 3B/RHP, Cook County H.S.

They could go for Cowart at 15, but that's the unprotected pick and it's more likely they'll take a very signable player there and hope Cowart gets past the Red Sox.

23.png

[h6]Florida Marlins[/h6]

fla.gif

Barrett Loux, RHP, Texas A&M

Industry consensus has the Fish taking a college arm, with Seth Blair in the mix, but they reportedly also love Aaron Sanchez and are on Marcus Knecht for their second-round pick.

24.png

[h6]San Francisco Giants[/h6]

sfo.gif

Christian Colon, SS, Cal State Fullerton

I keep hearing the Giants on bats, including Colon and Brentz.

25.png

[h6]St. Louis Cardinals [/h6]

stl.gif

Stetson Allie, RHP/3B, St. Edwards H.S.

I've heard the Cardinals are heavy on Allie, although hearing they might take a prep arm with their first pick in consecutive years made my head explode.

26.png

[h6]Colorado Rockies[/h6]

col.gif

Cam Bedrosian, RHP, East Coweta H.S.

They also like Allie a ton and have been linked to Arizona State's Seth Blair, although they don't have much history of taking players advised by Scott Boras.

27.png

[h6]Philadelphia Phillies[/h6]

phi.gif

Jesse Biddle, LHP, Germantown Friends Academy

I don't think this is just an example of a team being attached to the local kid, although that's always possible. The Phils are also on Christian Yelich and, somewhat paradoxically, Mike Kvasnicka.

28.png

[h6]Los Angeles Dodgers[/h6]

lad.gif

Brett Eibner, CF/RHP, Arkansas

The Dodgers could be another landing spot for Ranaudo if he slides past the Red Sox, and they're also on Bedrosian.

29.png

[h6]Los Angeles Angels (from Boston)[/h6]

laa.gif

Aaron Sanchez, RHP, Barstow H.S.

They also like Bedrosian, who seems very likely to go in the 25-35 range now, and UCLA commit Adam Plutko.

30.png

[h6]Los Angeles Angels[/h6]

laa.gif

A.J. Cole, RHP, Oviedo HS (Fla.)

It's possible that they won't go back to the well for a third prep arm if they get two at 18 and 29, but those are three guys they're on right now. SCOUTING VIDEO

31.png

[h6]Tampa Bay Rays[/h6]

tam.gif

Brandon Workman, RHP, Texas

I've also heard the Rays on Derek Dietrich and Drew Vettleson; whoever they take here, it'll probably be a predraft agreement because the pick is unprotected. I am having a hard time imagining a pitcher of Workman's caliber and track record getting out of the top 30, but it is a weird year.

32.png

[h6]New York Yankees[/h6]

nyy.gif

Christian Yelich, 1B/OF, Westlake H.S.

They remain interested in Tyrell Jenkins, Ryan Lamarre and Jacksonville State outfielder Todd Cunningham, as well as any high-ticket player who should fall to them for money reasons.
[/url]

2 perfect games a month apart.  Add another no hitter.  Jimenez is 10-1 with an ERA under 1. 
sick.gif
  Carlos Silva is 7-0.  Barry Zito lighting teams up again.  Roy is Roy. 

Safe to say PED's are either gone, or only being purchased by pitchers now? 
laugh.gif

^Like pitchers werent on PEDs before.....which is why everyone who wants to talk about *s are being very hypocritical.

Originally Posted by CP1708

2 perfect games a month apart.  Add another no hitter.  Jimenez is 10-1 with an ERA under 1. 
sick.gif
  Carlos Silva is 7-0.  Barry Zito lighting teams up again.  Roy is Roy. 

Safe to say PED's are either gone, or only being purchased by pitchers now? 
laugh.gif
Brett Anderson
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Ubaldo does pitch in the NL West, though. I'm just sayin'...

so does Timmy and he has a 3.14 pitchin in the NL west.
10-1 and 0.78 era is just dirty no matter what division you are pitching. Major league hitters are major league hitters

The point was though, instead of those huge offensive numbers we were getting, now pitching is doing some very strange stuff.  3 no no's, (2 of em perfect) in just two months? 

Dudes with 10 W's and an era less then 1? 

Something just seems different in regards to pitching right now. 

How many close calls we seen with no no's that first month?  Weren't there a good 5-6 that went into 6-7-8th innings?  If we see a couple more before the end of the year, we'll know times have changed big time. 
laugh.gif

One of the wackiest weekends of baseball in recent memory...

Huff hit in the head by A-Rod with a line drive, Kendry Morales breaks leg ala Bill Gramatica celebrating a walkoff, Roy Halladay throws a perfect game, Ubaldo Jimenez and Tim Lincecum face off and Ubaldo lowers his ERA to 0.78.

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

That "point" has been deaded for a few seasons now

How so?  Outside of a couple seasons from Colorado, that division has been terrible hitting and run scoring wise.  I'm not trying to take anything away from the pitchers in the NL West but let's not act like there are offensive juggernauts in that division...

This. The NL West has 4 of the top 8 teams in the National League.

Originally Posted by Proshares

How so?  Outside of a couple seasons from Colorado, that division has been terrible hitting and run scoring wise.  I'm not trying to take anything away from the pitchers in the NL West but let's not act like there are offensive juggernauts in that division...
The NL West has 3 of the top 6 offenses in terms of runs scored in the NL.

The Orioles need Angelos to sell that team before they become relevant again.  Heck, The Nationals seem like the team with the brighter future in that region.  Especially with 2 potential superstars in Strasburg and most likely Bryce Harper.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Ok, we're two months in.  We'll see if that lasts.  The last couple years they've had teams at the top in the NL and then crapped out outside of Colorado.  CSD was saying it like they've been scoring runs at this rate the last few years when they definitely have not.  That was my main point.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Ok, we're two months in.  We'll see if that lasts.  The last couple years they've had teams at the top in the NL and then crapped out outside of Colorado.  CSD was saying it like they've been scoring runs at this rate the last few years when they definitely have not.  That was my main point.
I was just making reference to this year because I thought we were talking about Ubaldo's dominance so far this season.

In terms of scoring runs, you're right, but I think as a whole the NL West doesn't get the respect it deserved over the last few seasons.

You're a smart dude, and you know your !%%#, but you are off base.  Just like there was this big misconception that the NL West is weak, and can't score.  There has been an NL West team in the top 5 in runs every year (NL) with the exception of 2008. 

Arizona sucks because their pitching sucks, sure their hitters strikeout a lot, but those kids can mash (2nd in the NL in runs).

The Rockies and Dodgers are right behind them (6th and 4th). 

A brief history...

2009 - Rockies (2nd), Dodgers (4th)
2008 -
sick.gif
Rockies (8th), D'Backs (10th)
2007 -
grin.gif
Rockies (2nd), D' Backs (9th), Dodgers (10th)
2006 - Dodgers (4th), Rockies (5th), D'Backs (7th)
2005 - Rockies (5th), D'Backs (10th)
2004 - Giants (2nd), Rockies (4th), Padres (8th), Dodgers (9th)
2003 - Rockies (3rd), Giants (6th)
2002 - D'Backs (1st), Giants (3rd), Rockies (4th), Dodgers (7th)

Then you have to consider the fact that there are 3 pitchers parks in the division.  The Dodgers have been an offensive juggernaut since some dreadlocked dude landed on our laps.

30 runs seperated us from the Phillies (1st) last season, and they play in a band box.  We are sitting in the same spot we were sitting last year (4th) and look at the teams above, they all play in "hitter friendly" parks.

Past 5 years BA:

2009 - Dodgers (1st)
2008 - Dodgers (5th)
2007 - Rockies (1st), Dodgers (2nd)
2006 - Dodgers (1st), Rockies (3rd)
2005 - Rockies (5th)

So much for terrible in hitting and run scoring
wink.gif

Cant do anything about the East Coast bias Iron Man. I've just learned to accept it.

Not really sure why the NL West got a bad reputation. They have teams that can hit.

But still it's not the AL East

Originally Posted by dland24

Cant do anything about the East Coast bias Iron Man. I've just learned to accept it.

No East Coast bias, I respect the teams out there and their players.

Ironman, my mistake I should have been a little clearer I was going by the MLB ranks not only NL ranks so when you look at it with strictly NL teams it makes more sense than my logic.  So of course when I look at it, the AL teams will populate the top of the lists more than NL teams.

Javy Vasquez is starting to come around. He's been real good in the 3 out of his last 4 starts. If he pitches like he is capable of, its over!

Back
Top Bottom