The Major League Baseball Post

Nowitness, i'm liking Eddie V right now. 21 K's to 3 BB's in 15 innings.

Addition of Cordero could spark Reds' beleaguered staff

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Of all the franchise-changing acquisitions in baseball this winter, here's the one that might have gotten the least hoopla:
Nov. 28 -- Cincinnati Reds sign closer Francisco Cordero for four years, $46 million. Not the signing you were thinking of, huh? Well, hear us out.

Did the Reds spend more dollars than they probably should have on a guy who, by his own admission, has never even heard of the Nasty Boys? Absolutely.

Could they find themselves, by the fourth year of this contract, wondering what in Rob Dibble's name they were thinking? Sure, they could.

Does this deal come with any "40 saves a year or your money back" guarantees? Sorry. Not happening.

But if the criteria for this debate is "franchise-changing acquisition," you'd have a tough time arguing with the team-altering impact of this deal. Why? Here's why:

• This is a team that led more games at the end of the fifth inning last year (75) than the New York Mets, Chicago Cubs and Arizona Diamondbacks (among others). You could look it up.

• This is a team that got outscored by 71 runs after the seventh inning last season and by 92 runs after the sixth.

• This is a team that lost eight games it led after seven innings and went a ridiculous 7-17 when it was tied after seven.

• And this is a team that was last in the National League in bullpen ERA (5.13) -- and allowed the highest opponent batting average (.282), on-base percentage (.360) and OPS (.807) of any bullpen in the league.

Those are ugly, ugly numbers, ladies and gentlemen. But not just your ordinary, run-of-the-mill ugly numbers. Pretty much any astute baseball observer in this world (like us, for instance) will tell you there is a bigggg difference between ugly bullpen numbers and just about any other size, shape or flavor of ugly numbers. And that difference is …

Ugly bullpen numbers blow up entire teams.

When your bullpen is a mess, said Reds starter Bronson Arroyo, "There's just a cloud hanging over you. You know how teams like the Red Sox feel like they're always in a game, because when it gets late, they feel like that's their point in the game? Well, when you have a club that kind of feels the opposite, you're thinking, 'Uh-oh. We're up by five, but can we hold it?' And that's a bad feeling. Once you feel like you can't get the job done at that end of the game, you never feel confident."

And Arroyo ought to know. He had more quality starts last year (22) than Johan Santana, Roy Oswalt or Josh Beckett -- and still wound up 9-16. Part of that was due to five blown saves. But just as much was due to one of the pitching profession's most dreaded afflictions -- Fear of Leaving the Game Disease.

"When you've got 105 pitches and you've thrown six [innings]," Arroyo said, "and you feel like, 'All right. I've got the game where I want it, but maybe I don't have enough stuff right now' … the last two years, I felt like I still had to take the ball because we had so many problems in the seventh and eighth innings. … Now, hopefully, I'll be confident enough to come out after six innings, maybe being a little tired, and hand the ball over to the bullpen, instead of trying to muster up an extra inning."

Think it's some kind of accident that Arroyo and Aaron Harang have thrown more innings over the past two years (451 1/3 and 466, respectively) than any two teammates in baseball? Yeah, sure it is. In the same kind of way it's an accident the sun sets in the west every night.

That, in a nutshell, is just one of the many under-the-radar ripple effects of broken bullpens. But before we continue down this trail, we need to detour for a moment. We need to because we're required by the Justice Department to point out that virtually none of this relief crew's problems were the fault of last year's closer, David Weathers.

Before last year, Weathers had never saved 30 games in any of his 16 seasons. But there he was, at age 37, transforming himself into a veritable one-man bullpen rescue squad. He saved 33 games, got at least four outs in 18 different appearances, blew only one save after July and became "by far our MVP last year," said Adam Dunn.

So there's zero justice for poor Weathers in a signing that essentially demoted him to set-up work. And the proof is that, after the Cordero signing, he got personal we-still-love-you-man phone calls from general manager Wayne Krivsky, manager Dusty Baker and owner Bob Castellini.

"I don't have a problem with this," said Weathers, one of the all-time class acts, "other than the fact that sometimes in the game of baseball, the reward system is a little flawed. You go out and have your best year and get demoted. Yet [other] guys are signing extensions. So all those selfish thoughts go through your head. But I know the bottom line is [Cordero] makes our club so much better."

And he does. So even though the Reds recognized Weathers wasn't the culprit, they were determined to deepen their bullpen. And the brass was in massive agreement that Cordero was the No. 1 difference-maker in the free-agent market.

So from the moment the free-agent negotiating sweepstakes opened, the Reds took off after Cordero like Ryan Freel takes off after foul balls bound for the 17th row -- full speed ahead.

By the time they finished off that pursuit, they had made the 32-year-old right-hander the highest-paid free-agent closer in history. They since have taken their share of heat for what one GM calls a "ridiculous" contract. But Krivsky said his club feels no need to defend itself over the money it spent to fix its late-inning nightmare.

"I don't, because we weren't the only team that wanted him, and there was another team [Cordero's former employers, the Milwaukee Brewers] that was offering him $42 million," Krivsky said. "So that's what it took. At that point, I had to go to ownership and say, 'This is what it's going to take.' And they said, 'Get it done.'"

So the Reds added a million bucks a year to their offer, and presto. They had themselves a closer.

But how good a closer? That's the $46 million question.

When we polled two dozen executives last month on the best moves of the winter, no player split the group more than Cordero. For every exec who called this one of the best signings of the offseason, there was another shooting it down as excessive or criticizing Cordero as a closer of "questionable" reliability.

So how reliable is he? Well, over the past five years, only four pitchers -- Mariano Rivera, Billy Wagner, Jason Isringhausen and Trevor Hoffman -- have saved more games than Cordero (167). And of the six closers who averaged 30-plus saves a year over the past five seasons, just two -- Joe Nathan and Wagner -- had a higher strikeout rate than Cordero (10.39 per nine innings).

On the other hand, Cordero had the highest walk rate (3.73 per nine innings), the most hits allowed (7.76 per nine innings) and the most baserunners allowed (11.76 per nine innings). Matter of fact, he permitted nearly two more hits and three more baserunners every nine innings than Nathan.

So maybe he isn't quite in that elite-closer strata. But he still is in the next tier. Which means he is a major bullpen upgrade for this team. And we can sum up what a relief that is to the entire city of Cincinnati with two words:

Chocolate cake.

So what's up with that chocolate cake? Here's what: Cordero said that after he finished dinner in Cincinnati the night of his news conference, "all of a sudden, this guy comes with dessert, and he goes, 'This is on the house.' And I say, 'Why?' And he just said, 'Welcome to Cincinnati.' It was a big chocolate cake. Pretty good, too."

Hey, we're glad he liked it, because earning his paycheck in this town will not be a piece of cake. Not when the home ballpark in which he has to pitch these next four years has produced the second-highest homer rate in baseball over the past three years.

"You know, I pitched in Texas," Cordero said. "I know it's not the same. But in Texas, the ball flies. All you've got to do is keep the ball down and make your pitches, and you'll be OK."

Well, that sounds simple enough. So who wants to break it to him that Harang had roughly the same, essentially flat, fly-ball/ground-ball split that Cordero had last season -- and still gave up 28 gopher balls (15 at home)? Hey, not us. Nevertheless, that's not the only reason Cordero is likely to miss Milwaukee. Checked out his home/road splits lately? Uh, here goes:

Cordero in Milwaukee last season: 1.09 ERA, .143 opponent batting average.

Cordero in towns not named Milwaukee last season: 6.55 ERA, .337 opponent batting average.

"Everyone else looks at that way more than I do," Krivsky said. "I was aware of it. And it certainly stood out. But there wasn't a history of it. The two years prior to that, his road numbers were better than his home stats. So I looked at it as some kind of aberration."

What isn't an aberration, though, is the energy and optimism Cordero has injected into the Reds this spring. If he takes care of the ninth inning, and Weathers can handle the eighth, and one-time Rule 5 pick
Jared Burton (1.84 second-half ERA last year) can stabilize the seventh, it's not so tough for this group to envision a season with a much happier ending than last year.

When your bullpen is rolling, Baker said, "It gives your team more confidence. And it gives the other team less confidence that it can come back on you, because you know, what you think will happen will happen. When you start thinking about, 'How are we going to lose this one?' you will lose it."

The manager doesn't have to explain that concept to this team, though, because these guys have been there, thought that. Then again, he also doesn't have to explain what might happen if there's a pitching staff in town that can complement a lineup that hit 203 home runs last season and scored more runs than the Mets or Cubs.

Suppose this rebuilt bullpen stops the bleeding. And suppose Harang and Arroyo get help in the rotation from eye-popping spring phenoms Johnny Cueto (13 IP, just 8 hits) and Edinson Volquez (13 IP, 19 strikeouts).

Look at the Reds that way, and they're far from hopeless -- if their new closer simply helps all those pitching pieces drop into place. So no wonder his new teammates are so jacked up to have Cordero around.

Heck, it's the highlight of their day just watching him lean in for the sign between pitches -- scrunching himself so low that it's tough to tell whether he is about to manicure the mound with his fingertips or launch into a somersault.

"I think when he throws, his arm moves so fast that all the blood rushes out of his fingers, so he has to get it back down there," Dunn said, laughing. "That's my guess. But you know what? He can do whatever he wants -- he can stand on his head -- if he goes out there and saves 30 for us."

Nowitness, i'm liking Eddie V right now. 21 K's to 3 BB's in 15 innings.
EV's stuff is the GOODS. It's all mental with him. Wait for him to get rocked one good time up there in the bean box, and sit back andenjoy the ride. It'll take him 2 weeks to get his head back on right.
laugh.gif
If he can get his emotions under control, he's going to be a damn goodpitcher.

[h1]Cueto, others turning heads with eye-popping springs[/h1]

By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com
(
Archive)

Updated: March 21, 2008

SARASOTA, Fla. -- How can you tell when a pitcher has inspired a scout to awaken from his somnambulant spring-training state?
When he bolts to attention as his radar gun begins to rattle. And, especially, when he then feels the need to start texting the gun numbers to his disbelieving friends. "94-mph 2-seam ... 96 4-seam ... 96, 95, 94, 95, 94 ... 95 fb, 88 sli (slider), 87 sli, 96, 88 sli, 86 (change)." The vignette we just described is true. Those text-message excerpts? Also 100 percent true. The scout will remain nameless. The pitcher who provoked this text-a-thon? He will not remain nameless.
mlb_a_cueto_200.jpg

AP Photo/Al Behrman

Johnny Cueto could begin the regular season in the Reds' starting rotation.
That name, for future reference: Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto. Remember it. We'll help you remember it, in fact, by naming him the 21-year-old captain of our 2008 Spring Training All-Eye-Popper Team. So what did a guy need to do this spring to qualify for this team? It wasn't too complicated: Just have himself a spring training that blew up the stat sheet, woke up every scout in the ballpark and even caused a fan or three to stop leaning against the tiki bar. So let's start at the top -- with the buzz-master champion of the entire state of Florida: [h2]Johnny Cueto, RHP, Reds[/h2]
SPRING STAT LINE: 0-0, 2.08 ERA, 13 IP, 8 H, 12 K
Cueto and fellow Reds phenom
Edinson Volquez (more on him later) have turned into more than mere March curiosities this spring. They've moved their new veteran teammates to start actively lobbying -- loudly -- for both of them to make the team. "I don't know where they're going to start the season," said Adam Dunn this week. "But I would be pushing for them to start the season with us." Well, thanks for the advice. The Reds aren't tipping their hand on that front. But they might have a mutiny on their hands if one, or both of those two, don't open the season in the rotation. Cueto has been putting on a show from day one, blowing mid-90s fastballs past good hitters, freezing them with his dive-bombing slider, throwing invisible changeups on any count and doing it all with a presence and command that makes it tough to believe he's still only 21. "His stuff speaks for itself," said catcher Paul Bako. "But for me, what's even more impressive is just where he is as a pitcher at a young age, and the way he commands the ball. He's got three 'plus' pitches, and the way he can pitch with those pitches has impressed me much more than his stuff." "You see so many guys this time of year throwing [their fastballs] in the high 80s and low 90s," said one scout, "that when a guy comes along who throws it 94-97, to both sides of the plate, down in the zone, and complements that with a hard upper-80s slider and a changeup that goes straight down -- all for strikes -- let's just say it catches your attention." Well, he's got our attention, anyway. All he has left to catch at this point is a spot on the Reds' roster. And now, the rest of our All-Eye-Popper Team: [h2]Yunel Escobar, SS, Braves[/h2]
SPRING STAT LINE: .462 AVG., .475 OBP, .692 SLG, 3 DOUBLES, 2 HR, 12 RBIs
It isn't often that a team with October ambitions goes out and trades a .332 hitter to open a spot for a 25-year-old phenom with 319 career at-bats. But the Braves told us exactly what they think of Escobar when they dealt away
Edgar Renteria before the offseason was even a month old. "You don't trade a Renteria unless you've got a replacement who's close to him," said manager Bobby Cox. "And this guy has got a chance to be an All-Star, I think. Great defense. Great arm. Can hit. Has power. If he wants to turn it up a notch, he can hit the ball out. I can't say enough good things about him. He's a player." The Braves will miss Renteria's leadership. But in terms of talent on the field, Escobar's spring performance has shown us there's just about no drop-off there. "They're basically getting a younger Renteria," said one scout. "I think they get a little concerned that he occasionally tries to do too much defensively. And he's a little more of a free swinger than Renteria. He's young, so he doesn't work counts like he should. But in terms of talent, I don't know that there's any drop-off." [h2]Josh Hamilton, CF, Rangers[/h2]
SPRING STAT LINE: .556 AVG., .600 OBP, .972 SLG, 5 DOUBLES, 2 TRIPLES, 2 HR, 13 RBIS
We didn't think it would be possible for Hamilton to pop more eyeballs this spring than last spring, when he came back from nearly four years out of baseball to just about leap off the field at us. But he's pulled that off, one spring after his stunning trade from Cincinnati to Texas in December.

dropQuote.gif
[h3]Josh Hamilton has been the best player in Arizona. When he hits the ball, it has a completely different sound than just about any player out there. ... In that park in Texas, he could hit 50 [home runs]. He's that good.
dropQuoteEnd.gif
[/h3]
--A scout
"Josh Hamilton," said one scout, "has been the best player in Arizona. When he hits the ball, it has a completely different sound than just about any player out there. He's just a different player. If he stays on the straight and narrow, and he stays healthy, he could hit 40 home runs this year. Wait. You know what? In that park in Texas, he could hit 50. He's that good." So how could the Reds have ever traded this guy? Read on. [h2]Edinson Volquez, RHP, Reds[/h2]
SPRING STAT LINE: 1-0, 3.00 ERA, 15 IP, 21 K
A scout we know announced to a large delegation of onlookers the other day: "The best trade this winter was Edinson Volquez for Josh Hamilton."
And after that Josh Hamilton riff a few paragraphs to the north, you would probably agree -- except that this scout meant it the other way around. That's how dazzling Volquez has been this spring. That news might shock people who saw Volquez go 3-11, with a 7.20 ERA, in three different passes through Texas. But this spring, at age 25, he has totally clicked it into gear. In fact, he's tied with the Mets' duo of Johan Santana and John Maine for the lead in the whole sport in strikeouts. But it isn't the number of whiffs that has stood out. It's how this guy has piled them up. His first three March outings, in order, went: four punchouts in 2 1/3 innings against the Red Sox, eight K's in four innings against the Yankees and six strikeouts in five innings against the Phillies. And that's three of the four best lineups in baseball we're talking about. "Unbelievable movement," said a coach of one of those teams. ... "Electric stuff," gushed one scout. ... "His changeup is really, really, really dirty," said Bako.
mlb_a_parra_65.jpg

Parra
[h2]Manny Parra, LHP, Brewers[/h2]SPRING STAT LINE: 2-0, 0.64 ERA, 14 IP, 7 H, 15 K
Looks like the wait is over for the brightest pitching prospect in the Brewers' constellation. It took awhile, thanks to 2005 shoulder surgery. But Parra has been ridiculous this spring, throwing his whole four-pitch arsenal for strikes and demonstrating exactly why he was this team's minor-league pitcher of the year last season.
He has an option left. So the Brewers haven't committed to keeping him in the big leagues. But in reality, he might be the biggest reason you're hearing so many trade rumors these days involving Claudio Vargas and David Bush. "I think he's forced them to put those guys on the market," said one scout, "and to change roles on that staff. This guy has got 'pluses' across the board. If he gets command of his fastball, he has a chance to be a big winner." [h2]Chase Headley, LF, Padres[/h2]SPRING STAT LINE: .371 AVG., .385 OBP, .771 SLG, 3 DOUBLES, 1 TRIPLE, 3 HR, 12 RBIs
The Padres' top prospect wasn't supposed to jump all the way from third base in Double-A to left field in the big leagues this spring -- even coming off a season as the Texas League Player of the Year. But
Jim Edmonds' calf injury gave Headley an opening. And even though he's still likely to wind up in Triple-A, all he did all spring was keep on hitting. This is a team with a certified outfield jumble on its hands, with Edmonds and Brian Giles rehabbing and Headley, Paul McAnulty and Jody Gerut jockeying for spots. But it's hard not to notice that Headley has had only one day off all spring. So clearly, the Padres wanted to take as long and close a look as possible at a 23-year-old switch-hitting offensive machine who has been a source of nonstop conversation. "He's still rough defensively in left," said one scout. "But he can swing the bat. There's no doubt about that."
mlb_g_longoria_65.jpg

Longoria
[h2]Evan Longoria, 3B, Rays[/h2]
SPRING STAT LINE: .313 AVG., .477 OBP, 719 SLG, 2 DOUBLES, 1 TRIPLE, 3 HR, 9 RBIs
Here's another stud prospect who probably isn't going to make the team. But that to-keep-him-or-not-to-keep-him debate has made Longoria an even more compelling topic this spring.
The Rays opened a position for him by moving Akinori Iwamura to second base. And Longoria has put on a show all spring, offensively and defensively. So obviously, the only reason this team wouldn't keep him can be summed up this way: $$$$$. Spending even three weeks in Triple-A would cost him enough service time to buy the Rays another season before free agency. So that's almost certainly what's going to happen. But at age 22, he has done nothing to suggest he won't be a huge star. "He's going to be a hell of a player," said one scout. "You can see that. But what's really impressive is just the way he handles himself on the field. When you watch him, he looks like a major-league player." [h2]Manny Delcarmen, RHP, Red Sox[/h2]
SPRING STAT LINE: 1.17 ERA, 7 2/3 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 5 K, .148 OPPONENT AVG.
The first time the Red Sox brought Delcarmen to the big leagues, in 2005, he handed out seven walks in nine innings. But apparently, he's figured out that control glitch -- because this spring, he has faced 28 hitters and walked none of them.
Now everyone who has seen him under the palm trees acts as if he's about to turn into one of the most dominating setup men in baseball. "It's working," said manager Terry Francona. "He's pounding the strike zone. And it's fun to see guys get to a point in their career where they can either level off or take it and run with it. He looks like he wants to go run with it. His ball is exploding through the zone. And he's commanding it." [h2]Alexei Ramirez, 2B-SS-CF, White Sox[/h2]
SPRING STAT LINE: .366 AVG., .400 OBP, .610 SLG, 5 DOUBLES, 1 TRIPLE, 1 HR, 10 RBIs
This 26-year-old Cuban defector started spring training as a mystery man. Now, a month later, he's the first guy that any visitor to the White Sox camp talks about.
Don't ask where he's going to play. Don't ask if he's going straight to the big leagues. The White Sox haven't settled on any of that (although they're thinking long and hard about installing him in center field). They just know he got four hits in the first spring-training game of his life, and he's been a monster all spring. "He's your eye-popper, based on tools alone," said one scout. "He's got the whole package -- the body, the bat speed, hands, arm, body control. How it translates remains to be seen. But when you think of players, he just looks the part." APOLOGIES TO: Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, Ryan Howard, Carlos Zambrano, Placido Polanco, Grady Sizemore and Roy Oswalt. They've all had sensational springs. But we're guessing you'd probably heard of them.

[h1]Manny Ramirez sets sights on at least 6 more years, 600 homers[/h1]TOKYO (AP)-Six more years and 600 homers.

Maybe even more of both.

Manny Ramirez sat in a cramped clubhouse on his third visit to Japan to play baseball far from Fenway Park. There, in the stadium known as the Big Egg, he casually revealed his goals before the Red Sox exhibition game Saturday against the Hanshin Tigers.

"I'm going to get to 600," he said. "Why not? The sky's the limit."

Boston's slugger begins the season Tuesday against the Oakland A's at the Tokyo Dome with 490 homers, 26th most in history. With 30 homers this year, he likely would move up to the 20th spot. And with 31, he would tie Ted Williams, another great slugging left fielder for the Red Sox, and Willie McCovey with 521.

Ramirez is coming off a subpar season with 20 homers, 88 RBIs and a .296 batting average. But in Boston's postseason march to its second World Series championship in four years, he hit. 348 with four homers and 16 RBIs in 14 games

"We've come to expect a lot from him. It's unfair because we expect him to be slump-proof," manager Terry Francona said before Saturday's game. "It's probably why he's one of the greatest hitters ever to play this game."

He even could make it way beyond 600 homers if he averages 30 for each of the next six seasons.

"So say 700," Ramirez said.

He is in the last year of his $160 million, eight-year contract. The Red Sox have options to extend that in 2009 and 2010. Ramirez is confident they will- and that they'll sign him to a four-year deal after that, which would keep him with the team through age 42.

"I know what lays ahead," he said. "It's going to be six years. I'm going to finish my career here."

He wouldn't rule out playing beyond that.

"I feel like a baby now," he said.

Ramirez played in Japan in 1998 and 2004 with major league all-star teams. Now he's here with the Red Sox for two exhibition games against Japanese teams then the first two games of the regular season against Oakland.

Boston has one day off on Monday.

"I'll probably go out and look around," Ramirez said. "I like to walk around the city. You know, take some pictures, good memories."

He'd like to give fans in this baseball-loving nation something to remember him by.

"It's great. That's why we're here," he said. "A bunch of people that don't get to see us all the time, they're going to see us here in person and they're going to love it. They're going to enjoy it. Baseball's been here for 100 years."

pimp.gif

I can't believe I've been watching this guy play baseball for over fifteen years. Crazy how time flies.

Red Sox fans or anybody that knows, explain to me their schedule coming up. I know the games in Japan on the 25th and 26th are considered regular season games,but what about the following series with the Dodgers?

I'm curious because it might be possible that Manny hits 500 in Cleveland (he's at 490), but it really depends. If those games against the Dodgerscount, the Red Sox will play 16 games before playing the Indians.

who says we don't have an ace? odalis perez named opening night starter:

[table][tr][td]
Perez is Nats' Opening Day starter

Left-hander to begin team's season for the first time in career

By Bill Ladson / MLB.com
[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
VIERA, Fla. -- After Saturday's 4-1 victory over the Braves, Nationals manager Manny Acta announced that left-hander Odalis Perez will be the Opening Day starter on March 30, when Washington plays Atlanta at the new Nationals Park. Acta gave Perez the news in a closed-door meeting before the game.
Acta said Perez, 30, received the nod because he has more experience than anyone in the starting rotation, which now includes just Jason Bergmann and Tim Redding. Going with four starters to begin the season, the Nationals are still trying to figure out who will be the fourth person between left-handers Matt Chico and John Lannan.

"He won more games than any one of our starters in the big leagues last year," Acta said about Perez. "He is the only one on our staff who won 15 games before and he has pitched well in Spring Training. He earned it."

It has been a tremendous comeback of sorts for Perez. He had a tough time finding a job this offseason after going 8-11 with a 5.57 ERA with the Royals. It wasn't until Feb. 19 when Perez signed a Minor League contract with the Nationals.

However, Perez wasn't able to compete in a Major League exhibition game until March 15 because he didn't have his work visa. He wasn't scheduled to get the visa until March 27, but Jose Rijo, the special assistant to Nationals general manager Jim Bowden, pulled some strings and was able to get Perez's work visa earlier than expected.

It took only two starts before the Nationals told Perez that he made the team and is the Opening Day starter.

"To hear the news that I would be the Opening Day guy, it makes me feel that the job I've done [in Spring Training was good]," Perez said. "I'm happy because I'm getting this opportunity that a lot of people want."

The start will have historical value. Perez will become the first Major League hurler to throw a regular-season pitch at Nationals Park. This will be the first Opening Day start of his nine-year career.

"That's history," Perez said. "I'm the first guy to pitch at the stadium. It's a brand new stadium. During the first pitch, there will be a lot of pictures. It's a great feeling for me to be able to throw the first pitch."

Bill Ladson is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

my initial feeling is
sick.gif
. o well, we will overcome odalis andwin on opening night with all of the excitement and emotion that will be in the stadium. who knows though? maybe odalis will be rejuvenated and revive hiscareer with us.
eyes.gif

Odalis Perez
roll.gif

J RAIN 23 you is a fool for thinking you winning on opening day with that bum of a starter.

On the mound for Braves is Tim Hudson.
glasses.gif

Odalis Perez will be the Opening Day starter on March 30, when Washington plays Atlanta at the new Nationals Park.
laugh.gif

KLJ - The games against the Dodgers do not count, they are exhibition games. I know it is weird, but they have to get "acclimated" to being back inthe States.

KLJ - The games against the Dodgers do not count, they are exhibition games. I know it is weird, but they have to get "acclimated" to being back in the States.
Oh okay, thanks.

An exhibition series?
grin.gif

[h2]Alexei Ramirez, 2B-SS-CF, White Sox[/h2]
SPRING STAT LINE: .366 AVG., .400 OBP, .610 SLG, 5 DOUBLES, 1 TRIPLE, 1 HR, 10 RBIs
This 26-year-old Cuban defector started spring training as a mystery man. Now, a month later, he's the first guy that any visitor to the White Sox camp talks about.
Don't ask where he's going to play. Don't ask if he's going straight to the big leagues. The White Sox haven't settled on any of that (although they're thinking long and hard about installing him in center field). They just know he got four hits in the first spring-training game of his life, and he's been a monster all spring. "He's your eye-popper, based on tools alone," said one scout. "He's got the whole package -- the body, the bat speed, hands, arm, body control. How it translates remains to be seen. But when you think of players, he just looks the part." APOLOGIES TO: Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, Ryan Howard, Carlos Zambrano, Placido Polanco, Grady Sizemore and Roy Oswalt. They've all had sensational springs. But we're guessing you'd probably heard of them.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Get Uribe out of Chicago

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Uh, I don't really have anything to say; I'm just basketballed out right now.
laugh.gif

Go baseball!

Unfortunately now for me, it's Indians time
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
frown.gif

Ben Fransisco I guess is raking this spring? Lee won the 5th spot and Marte will be on the roster.

I really like our chances this year looking through things. The bullpen should be a strength along with the rotation...I just would like to find one more bat.

@*++ Stephen Curry
laugh.gif

Is Julio throwing well? I guess it's down to him and Masnty for that last spot.

I like Franklin, a lot...hopefully he starts to put it altogether, last year should be valuable to his improvement.

Back
Top Bottom