The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

You guys are funny. Twood is one of the highest paid UFC guys ever. Approaching 40 with two surgically repaired shoulders. He was never gunna be Mr. Punches in bunches... this fool was level changing with his hands down. Nothing sad about taking a few Ms into retirement and headlining the biggest card of the year. He also won the fight. Lost on the cards but he probably landed the three hardest punches and let Jake recover... had he finished him there there is no rematch.. hed have to fight Logan or bust. Now he kinda has the option for either one to ride off into the sunset makong more off these 2 fights than 99% UFC guys career earnings

At the end of the day Jake has been training for exactly 3 years, whereas Woodley is a former world champ and 12 years deep into a combat sports career. I don't think anything short of a clear win or a knockout is a good look for him. Jake still looked like a novice and did barely anything, it’s just that Woodley could have and should have done way more. I think Bisping summed it all up perfectly:

Plus add in the goofiness of the event and the "I love Jake Paul" tattoo and him agreeing to get it if he gets a rematch :smh:
Former world champ agreeing with 24 year old former Disney and Youtube guy Jake Paul to get his name tatted on his body to secure a rematch of a fight, when in reality he should've just done what he was supposed to do and knocked the motherf***** out in the first one. He had his moments but bottomline he failed.

And as it stands right now, tons of people on the internet are either calling it fixed because they're not aware that Tyron was pulling his usual gunshy act, or they are aware and therefore they're just not interested in seeing the rematch because they figure Tyron is gonna do the same thing again. Nobody is clamoring for a rematch. Jake Paul is talking about he's taking time off and/or retiring.

It’s great to hear Tyron supposedly made 2 mil before the ppv shares etc. At least he got a HUGE W with the purse (if true), the rest of it was still embarrassing though. He could’ve and should’ve got all that money and still knocked him out

Only thing I’ll point out is that woodleys comabt sports/mma experience was clearly not in traditional boxing. He was never even a good mma boxer. Showed cardio issues, volume issues and was always stiff

Overhand right, with small gloves no less, yes he had that. But that’s with the threat of a takedown and diff distance

It’s a diff animal all together

Which is why I was so intrigued with this match. Answered at least partly a question of how an mma champ who didn’t show chops in mma boxing but had some power would do against an average joe with decent athletic traits who trained solely in boxing for a few years

Of course one guy was way bigger and way younger....

Only thing I’ll point out is that woodleys comabt sports/mma experience was clearly not in traditional boxing. He was never even a good mma boxer. Showed cardio issues, volume issues and was always stiff

Overhand right, with small gloves no less, yes he had that. But that’s with the threat of a takedown and diff distance

It’s a diff animal all together

Which is why I was so intrigued with this match. Answered at least partly a question of how an mma champ who didn’t show chops in mma boxing but had some power would do against an average joe with decent athletic traits who trained solely in boxing for a few years

Of course one guy was way bigger and way younger....

Absolutely, that’s exactly why I was so interested.

My thing is, I still think he shoulda punished him. At the very least Tyron has had to fight and spar against all those ATT guys like Jorge, the Roufus Sport guys, fought guys like Darren Till, and even done some direct boxing training at Wildcard and stuff like that, so in my mind there’s nothing a novice like Jake Paul should’ve been able to show him that he couldn’t be fully prepared for after a 12 year MMA journey. I think Woodley lost that fight because of his heart and mind and not because of skill set, age or even size really. Woodley is shorter but their reach was similar or identical I think, and Woodley is a tank. And Jake Paul isn’t exactly a ripped 190 lbs either, he could probably cut to 170 himself if he was disciplined. Darren Till is 6’0” and has said before that he was 200 lbs on fight night for welterweight bouts, and Woodley chopped Till up quick. Tyron was just scared to get clipped and embarrassed.

But it was definitely still interesting for the exact reasons you mentioned.

yeah he absolutely should have still punished him….

I mean I obviously gave way too much credit to him thinking he had a general understanding of boxing/the sweet science…but NOPE! He showed 0 boxing I.Q….

shorter guy with heavier hands…I mean common boxing sense would tell you to get on the inside, take away his range…nope

press him, make him fight going backwards and cut off the ring….NOPE

Press him against the ropes and use your power/dirty boxing wear him down and score points…NOPE

He decided to stand right in front of the taller man, plot forward while throwing less than 20 (some round less than 10) punches a round….

unbelievable lol, kinda amazing.

book it pink goof :pimp: another beating coming for nate where his fans will claim he would've won if the fight was 10 rounds

On one hand Nate almost had Edwards out of there. On the other hand he was losing every round of that fight before he caught Edwards, and he lost every round of the Masvidal fight before that.

I guess there's always that chance he can pull it out, but if Nate can't show up against Luque it might be that time. Or at the very least do like his brother and fight other fighters that are past their best too.

I’m also happy Woodley got his biggest payday. I can’t imagine Dana is happy. Just more fuel for the fire.

Also, I feel like I’ve heard Tyron mention boxing coaching before. He seriously looked stiff.

While I'm a big fan of guys like Ngannou and Usman I know that Conor and Nate are still much bigger names to the casual viewer. The trilogy is still likely the biggest draw UFC can put on at this point, you're kidding yourself if you think they are even a bit irrelevant. While an Ngannou/Jones or Izzy/Jones fight does numbers I'd still have the Connor/Nate trilogy bout over those in terms of drawing power.

Nate and Conor are not irrelevant to the mainstream or casual fan

but They’re both completely washed and not even slightly amusing anymore, at least to me

Got two losers getting all that spotlight. I get why, but doesn’t mean they should

Yeah but that fight will still sell well, hardcore fans will come out knowing they tied up at 1-1. Nothing like a good ol’ rubber match.

nate been washed since the 2nd mcgregor fight, lost a big piece of himself in that fight. Hell his face doesn’t even look the same after that fight, **** be drooping on one side……conor ****** him up pretty bad.

but nates a gangster, he’s gonna go out on his shield….no easy fights. Gotta respect that as a fan…..win loose or draw, there will be blood.

Lol Iaquinta on ariels show rn, said he was watching the fights Saturday fell asleep, and woke up to 9k texts about his fight announcement

only problem is he didn’t sign the contract. Dana always Dana’ing

Ariel was on one today. He referenced some other beefs he’s had for years (luke thomas and Brian Campbell)

Luke and bc also referenced it on their show this morning

Back
Top Bottom