The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 300 ON NOW

That is true about Mike.

Butttt he didnt lose that fight. Even if you scored the last one 10-8. Tell me where how why he lost the first or second.

Rubbish. Jus saving the company cash not giving Mike his win bonus.

Cant even argue either when you spend the last 3 minutes of the fight getting pummeled because after 10 years you still have zero clue what to do when the sprawl doesnt work

Ben's athleticism makes Danis look like Bruce Jenner.

I'm fairly confident theres a dozen kids from every local highschool that would fade this man. His chin is just righttt there

That is true about Mike.

Butttt he didnt lose that fight. Even if you scored the last one 10-8. Tell me where how why he lost the first or second.

Rubbish. Jus saving the company cash not giving Mike his win bonus.

Cant even argue either when you spend the last 3 minutes of the fight getting pummeled because after 10 years you still have zero clue what to do when the sprawl doesnt work
i don't think he lost but giving up takedowns late in a close scrap is a death sentence with some these judges.

two grapplers in there banging out more than lewis/ngannou :lol:

i enjoy watching orgs like rizin, one, bellator etc. but stepping into the ufc always reveals if you can hang with the big boys... askren went from undefeated to losing two (almost three) straight.

Last edited:
This card was largely a One Championship level card. Irony of Askren leaving One for the UFC only to go back to Singapore and get choked out.

Meanwhile, Mighty Mouse is the champ and enjoying life.

I dunno. I watched DJs last two fights. They both seem like tough scraps he had to out point his opponent with wrestling.

Askren wasn’t used to this level of competition sadly. You thrive or you dive.

Boy this Askren dude was built and hyped like he was the second coming. That doodoo looking ***** sucks ..

Cant stand his ***.

PhotoEditor-20191026122316.jpg

Just watched the fight. Didn’t realize they both were ranked 10 and 11.

I actually had Askren winning rounds 1-2. Felt like he was getting comfortable exchanging strikes with Maia. However...his wrestling/BJJ was exposed every time he took Maia down. He looked like amateur.

Askren’s rank was based on hype. Unfortunately, UFC had to throw him into high level fighters to make the trade worth it. WW has killers in the top ten Ponzinibio, Maia, Edwards, Till, Woodley, Lawler, Covington, Usman, etc.

Askren isn’t dynamic enough. And his striking is basic. And his grappling isn’t at the same level as GSP or Khabib. GSP had that jab and kicks. If he got you on the ground, his GnP was good.

Khabib’s grappling and pressure is probably the best in MMA. It’s like a force of nature. He has developed his striking enough to be competent in a fight to setup the takedowns.

I “get” that Askren can talk ish. But in hindsight, the DJ trade was a mistake. They traded Kawhi Leonard. Put a division in jeopardy. And gave away a rematch that had the possibility to make some money based on this Triple C gimmick.

Dana knew that DJ was never going to be who he wanted him to be. He probably wasn't going to re-sign DJ anyway, so why not trade him for an undefeated character who was getting real metrics in terms of views, reactions and everything else

It was a basically like a free bet on Askren

Free? Risky bet that jeopardized a division. And brought someone unproven to bet the farm on. Dude is literally a top 15 fighter now.

Meanwhile the pound for pound fly weight is in another organization. DJ had highlight reels. He probably didn’t move the needle but who does without personally possessing the it factor like Israel?

Askren hasn’t beaten anyone. Even host W was dubious.

speaking of dubious. What did everyone think of the Ray/Johnson decision?

I probably gave Johnson round 1 & 2. Round 3 to Ray. Round one was close enough to go either way (maybe).

Yes, if Dana wasn't going to re-sign him, which was just as likely as DJ not even being interested in staying then, yes free. He didn't bet the farm on it, that doesn't make any sense at all. DJ was not even a couple acres on the plot of land that is the UFC farm

The 125 division is evidently on its last legs anyway. Dana for whatever reason hates the division and was taking steps to eliminate it

There was nothing dubious about Askren's win against Lawler. The ref stopped it early for sure, but Lawler was going to sleep regardless. Askren looked awful in the fight, but I can't take that win away. He survived and snapped on that choke, all legitimately

I mean to be fair, who has actually played the grappling game with Demian Maia and won? Jake Shields and that's about it right? He thought he could handle Maia like Shields did but he thought wrong.

His tenure has been so weird though it's hard to place him exactly. He beat Robbie after getting mollywhopped initially (I do think Robbie legit went out temporarily), blasted in seconds by Jorge by being incredibly predictable and going straight for the double leg, and then played a stupid game by trying to grapple with Maia.

Talent wise I'm not sure if he's already gatekeeper status, but dude for sure should consider a better camp and training with better guys. Seems like he's doing **** you might get away with in the B-leagues but not against the best of the best.

What is there to regret. They were going to have to overpay (in their eyes) a non champ who didn't bring them eyeballs nor put butts in seats. The loss of DJ has done zero to their profit margin

I’m definitely not an Askren fan, but I don’t think his rank had anything to do with hype. He left Bellator as a champ with multiple defenses and did the same at One.

Back
Top Bottom